Return of The Emblem Chapter One: The Artifact

Phoenix

"Not really. I am looking for someone who was looking for the Fire Emblem, my fiancee Pavel. He went missing on a mission to find it several months ago, so I figure that if I were to track down the Emblem I would find him. Perhaps the people that took your father also took him as well? I suggest an alliance between us then, in hopes that we may find those close to us." Veronika suggested to Raquel.

"You shouldn't tell false stories to officers of the law, but perhaps you are the sort that can't tell the difference between fiction and reality. You should get out of Sergio, we don't need your kind here." the guard said, beginning to clean up the bodies with the rest of the guards.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Typical? Nope. However, it's certainly more... 'interesting' now." Nanahm let out a small chuckle. "Chances are that my butting into this job may have much deeper consequences than I imagined, but hey, high risk, high reward I always say. Not one of my brighter decisions, I must say, not even knowing how much I'll get paid, but she looks well off, y'know? Haha, here I go rambling again. Sorry if it bothers you, and if it doesn't, well, I hope you get used to it!" He finished his statement with a yawn, not due to being tired, but due to boredom now.

After a moment, he turned to Jeanne and said, "Might I ask what you were expecting from a paying job?"

Jeanne thought on Nanahm's question for a moment. What had she been expecting? Nothing really. She had just been going from one pointless job to the next, for year after year. Well, no point in thinking about it now. She decided. Staring off into space and pondering her life probably wasn't the most professional thing to do, so she did indeed respond.

"I wasn't expecting this at least," Jeanne said, in less of a monotone. Damn. Now the guy's got me thinking. She thought, idly holding her hand to her chin. She considered mentioning that she had only heard about this kind of thing happening in stories, but she still needed to preserve her mercenary image. "I have this feeling that things will be getting interesting, if you know what I mean," she said. "This is more than the typical job." Jeanne found herself saying. "With a woman potentially of rank, we may be getting into something deep." She had no idea why she was spilling her thoughts out of her mouth. Megaera seemed to sense her unease, and snorted.

Daloth could feel a scowl forming upon his lips as a smoldering fury burned within. There were many people in this port who couldn't tell the difference, and he was being kicked out because his story didn't match up with others? Because he had not wanted to hand over his tome, but had then offered to allow him to inspect it so long as it stayed in his possession, only for the guard to refuse and push the issue, so that Daloth eventually caved, and then the guard chose to just inspect it like Daloth had offered before? Daloth almost wanted to rip the guys throat out.

Sighing, feeling defeated, he tried to quench the rage. "I'll leave this place then. Straight way. I promise not to set my foot upon the ground any place less than a mile away from here once I leave."

Well, just as he said might happen, the guards arrived. And promptly demanded they lay down their weapons. Of course. Well, he couldn't do anything about it, so, he might as well comply. With a bit of difficulty, Axel took off his pack, which held his lance, gold, and other supplies, and let it be searched. Once the inspection had finished, he took the pack back, and slung it over one shoulder. He would have to get his arm patched up at some point, but for now, he was alright.

The ice mage seemed to have some extreme attachment issues with his tome, and decided to argue, depicting an incredibly ridiculous account of the attack. The red soldier made a mental note to ignore him, before a conversation between the noble and the merchant caught his attention. He caught only bits and pieces of it, but they were discussing the Fire Emblem. A fool's quest. Well, if they wanted to run around and get themselves killed, they could feel free. Unless he was paid, he wasn't going to intervene again. Still, he would have to keep an eye out for them on the road.

As he turned his head, Axel saw the man from the rooftops, standing around. With a few questions in mind, the soldier approached him, and started off by saying, "Pretty good fighting there. I'm just wondering... What is a Rexian doing up here in Sergio Port? I mean, you don't look like a mercenary..."

"Well I don't know if those people have anything to do with your fiancee but I do welcome the help. If they are behind his disappearance then I guess that's too birds with one stone." Raquel replied still keeping her voice down while the guards tended to the bodies.

With Seina gone Amon was left with only his original intent; to find the object he had been sent to recover. His presence seemed to get a lancer's attention however. "I'm on a mission. For people close to me. I can't say anymore than that. I'm sorry." he explained while occasionally glancing over in Raquel's direction.

Arriving where Jack showed up...

"Thank you very much, you really are a nice person you know that?" Edwin smiled as he got back on top of his horse. Rosie neighed ever so slightly and began taking a half step forward and back as the still pretty injured nomad got his balance back. There was just a little bit of blood left on the saddle and bags and from the look of the stains it would be there for quite a while. Once everything was prepared he sighed and looked towards the general direction of the explosion from before. "Well I'll be heading that way. You really should come along. There are probably a good deal of people that might need healed, and might even pay for it. Just saying, life tends to reward those who put themselves out there."

From there, the nomad started moving slowly through the town, making sure not to go too fast for the healer to catch up if it took her a few moments to decide. Eventually he arrived where the mercenaries and Jack were talking. Edwin was just a little out of sight. He could recognize a couple of the mercenaries speaking to Jack, especially Hans and Karene, He was pretty sure a few years back he had worked with one of them... or was it against them. Either way he didn't have to fight them at the time which was a positive. "As I said, the world tends to always give you opportunities if you are interested enough to look. The Wolfgang mercenaries huh? I wonder if they got involved to restore peace or cause the destruction?"

The nomad smiled, and watched for a moment to see if the darling little healer followed along as well or one of the members of the Wolfgang mercenaries would take interest in a fellow mercenary.

Edited by NTNP

Good person? Ignoring a dying man didn’t really quality her as a good person she thought, but he could believe what he wanted to. Synthia stood there for a moment mulling over what she should do. Her current choices seemed to be returning to the rather unpleasant tavern or following Edwin to whatever had happened, and neither was appealing. Except… being paid did sound nice. Like the nomad said, if people were injured they wouldn’t mind parting with a few gold pieces. Mind made up, she made sure she had her things and followed Edwin.

They arrived at a fairly ghastly scene. Blood splattered on the ground and so many dead people were thrown in a pile… She backed away from the scene while holding her nose, feeling quite nauseous from the sight and smell. How could anyone tolerate this? She was now less worried about getting paid and more worried about getting out of here. No matter how much she loathed the scene though, she just couldn't look away.

"Thank you," Jack said, beginning to bow, but stopping halfway as he remembered Karene's words about formalities. He moved over towards Wolfgang, feeling a bit silly, but excited nonetheless that he was really getting a chance to join the Grandzenschtraum mercenaries. If they accepted him into their ranks, that would be it, he would be set; no more working with idiots who got themselves killed and left him poor and jobless, he'd be working with the best. Assuming that they thought he was worth keeping around, of course, but he intended to do his best to prove himself if given the chance.

"Greetings. My name is Jack; I'm a lone mercenary searching for an employer, and I'd like to offer my service to your group, simple as that. I was told to say that Karene has recommended me," Jack said to Wolfgang, speaking more plainly now.

Wolfgang turned from the girls when the mercenary that said Karene had recommended him spoke. He spent a minute looking over the man in silence, observing his physique, stature, and considered his words. After a moment, a grin spread across his face.

"You certainly show experience. The fact you're a sole survivor increases your chances within my mercenaries as well. However, I'm certain if you know so much about my crew, you must know of the possibility that we'll accept jobs that may be in over our heads. Are you willing to accept that, lad?" Wolfgang questioned the man, his grin was incapable of reading, but his eyes showed excitement, a fire that showed this man was willing to give this guy a chance and even glad he chose to risk himself if he chose to.

~~~~

"Hm? Oh, hey, looks like we got more showing up by the minute!" Hans said as he waved at the nomad he saw seeing what the commotion was about as well.

"Hey there! Come to see what's going on!?" Hans shouted to the nomad, rather (overly) excited to have noticed him. Karene simply laughed at the fact Hans took his time noticing him compared to everyone else. Then again, it might've been because the horse distracted him.

Edited by EchoingPewter

Jack nodded in response to Wolfgang's question.

"I've been in over my head more than once before, it's part of the job description, in my experience; so I'm more than willing to accept that possibility if it means a chance to work with a competent group such as yours," he said.

"So, do you have any idea on where those kidnappers may have gone? That would be the most sensible place to look I think. They seemed eager to make a quick exit, so I doubt that they stayed in the port, but without knowing the identity of the attackers it is difficult to say where they may have gone next." Veronika said to Raquel.

She thought to quickly reply saying no but gave it a try anyway first. She didn't turn up anything. She didn't know who they were or where they might have gone. "I've got no idea. We may have to wait for them to make a move. Like I discussed with Wolfgang, they might try to use my father as a ransom for this thing. I'm not keen to handing it over to people like them, but them attempting to make an exchange may give us a chance to take the fight to them."

Raquel really wasn't certain if trying to destroy the group was the best idea. She only wanted her father back, but even if they rescued him, there was a good chance the group would attack them again for the emblem. A full offensive might have been the only choice really. "I think we're going to have to just take them all out. Otherwise they'll just keep hounding me until they get this thing." she said with a grimace.

Deciding that the best bet for discussion would be with the woman that seemed familiar to him, he tapped Veronika on the shoulder, who was conversing with the merchant, presumably about the business.

"Excuse me miss, but since you and I were among those who fought those men, I figured it would be good to discuss our next course of action regarding them. Lady merchant, you were singled out among those men correct? They were clearly not common bandits after your wares and they appeared after an explosion at the docks. If you will, I would like to question you on the reasons you believe for your attack."

"Well they may have left the port, but I doubt they have gone too far. Perhaps people in nearby towns will have seen them, their appearance is quite distinctive. Of course, they may have left by water as well." Veronika said to the merchant and the man behind her. The wyvern rider did look somewhat familiar, but perhaps this was due to wyvern riders being common in Neviskotia. She would think more on the matter later, right now her destination seemed more important. The merchant still seemed to be somewhat shocked, reasonable given the circumstances, but Veronika figured she would have time to navel gaze later.

The thought of them escaping by the water was a bit too much for her to think about. Boat rentals or paid passage was in no way shape or form swift enough to pursue by. She was really hoping they had gone inland with that in mind. What appeared to be at least a partial Rexian but what sounded like a Neviskotian approached and began asking her what the swordswoman already had. "Umm." she started. Was she going to be asked this repeatedly until everyone understood the situation? Was everyone supposed to understand the situation? It wasn't as if everyone who had shown up was an upstanding trustworthy individual she should be opening up to on the spot. From there she really couldn't articulate much else and hoped the woman she'd been talking to would be able to judge the wyvern rider and decide whether or not to divulge anything.

"It's possible they had at the very least escaped, but it'd probably be best if we check at the docks. If they get away, a survey of the damage and what could've caused the damage could be helpful should any of us encounter them at a later time. Perhaps interview the locals near the docks at the time to gather further intelligence on these men."

Certainly whoever these men are, they are an unusual bunch. They can create explosions, evidenced by the commotion from the docks we all heard, but many of them had little combat skills. They possessed only quarterstaves and none of them used magic. Perhaps there were mages near the docks, or those with magic items? But why would they have their men go attack merchants in crowded streets with only quarterstaves? Knives or swords would be better. It doesn't quite add up.

"That seems sensible enough." Veronika said to Domovoi. You may want to try and organize the people here if possible. They seem to be mercenaries for the most part and may be of use in helping to locate your father, assuming you have enough funds to buy their loyalty." she said to the merchant.

"Jeanne, Nanahm, let's investigate the docks." she said to the two mercenaries who seemed to have been conversing. Veronika began to walk back towards the docks where she had been dropped off. Well, this is at least somewhat promising. First clue I've had in months. she thought to herself.

"Left already hm?" said Domovoi, seeing Veronika leave.

"Now then lady merchant. Your father was apparently kidnapped by these men?" Domovoi said, taking note of what Veronika had said. "This might lead towards a few situations. They may hold him for ransom unless you gave up whatever they attacked you for, they might just keep him captive and kidnap you, or they may kill him and continue hounding you. Now the lady who left had a good suggestion. That was to organize the people here who fought here on your side. I would not advise the mage though. He seems like an idiot and uncooperative from what little I've seen from him. The others, do as you see fit. As for who I am, I am Domovoi, a simple mercenary. If you wish, you could hire me out for me and my partner Miskavolv to help you out."

A mercenary job with a merchant would be best for gathering intelligence around Ursium, assuming she's traveling all around it. I should probably report it to Sir Aleks as well if she accepts. My idea may be a good one. This could further protect my identity.

With a last word or two the woman left. She didn't mind working with the woman but hadn't even gotten a name yet. The mercenary also happened to give the same advice she had. Unsurprising. Would simple merchandise be enough to persuade all of them though? She only had about ninety gold on her person; that didn't include the emergency funds which totaled close to a thousand though. "I ... can't afford this many people. In fact I can probably only afford to hire Wolfgang, and he gave me what I'm sure is an insane discount. I can offer discounts of my own on anything you people might want to buy though, items, weapons, e-equipment." she told Domovoi, nervousness creeping up in her voice. She wasn't too confident in the plan, but it was better than nothing.

"Well I could accept 20 gold biweekly. An insanely low price to be sure, but as you said, you can't afford many people. I'm guessing your funds will increase as you sell your wares to various towns, so I, and possibly other people, will increase their price as you do so. The discounts from your goods should also be an acceptable bonus, at least for the time being."

Well, she was already going to owe Wolfgang money and she would have to make some kind of profit to cover everything. Supposing she'd go ahead and hire Domovoi, she spoke up again. "Okay I guess having a wyvern rider around would be useful. I'll hire you Mister ... um ... yeah I'll need a name soon. Anyway I can't go running around or making huge announcements so could you talk to some of these other people and let them know about my offer? Small first assignment." she ended with a slight smile. "Also speaking of merchandise and what not, I ought to speak to that one woman again before I get too deep into this." she said turning to speak to Gytha.

"Right then. Here's your whetstone, and I still need to fetch some polish from the wagon." The guards didn't seem to have found Chip evidenced by the lack of yelling, screaming, or gunshots going off.

"Alright, because I have a good idea you'll do well, I'll keep you here with me, Jack. Wallace and Ariost are away at the moment, and you've already met Karene and Hans over there. Hm...well, your first job working with me is protecting this merchant's daughter until we find her father. We're using her as our primary business conductor as well. As for the price, well, I'm not telling you that unless you REALLY want to hear it. Because to be honest with you, Karene might even hit me when I tell her. But sometimes it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission." Wolfgang said with a grin. He noticed Raquel had moved on and hired another mercenary as well, completing her previous purchase with Gytha soon after.

"Hm, she seems to want help getting the message around. However, you may act as you will for the time being. I will be speaking with her about how we're going to be leaving the area. Jack, dismissed." Wolfgang said, crossing his arm over his chest and granting a small bow before brushing his scarf over his shoulder and walking to catch up with Raquel.

"Raquel, while you go to fetch this woman's sword polish, I would like to discuss matters of our departure. Is that alright?" Wolfgang asked as he approached the girl again. He'd understand if she didn't, everything was still happening a little fast for her position right now, but he would like to speak sooner rather than later on this issue.

Perhaps it was better that Veronika cut short Jeanne's ramblings to Nanahm. She was getting worried that she didn't sound like herself, or worse, that she sounded like a fool. "Well, you heard her," Jeanne said to Nanahm, now holding her lance over her shoulder. "Let's go investigate, I guess." With that she began to follow Veronika, tugging Megaera along with her.

"Hey," Jeanne said to her employer, whom she was following behind. "You don't seem like you're from here, so just a heads up. Around here, people can be pretty focused on their own self interest," she said. "I don't think any witnesses of the attack would lie or anything, but just watch your back. Avarice and pride can lead to some crazy things, especially among the well-to-do."

Glancing at Wolfgang, she replied "Sure." She stopped behind the wagon assuming he'd followed and began looking through the supplies for the sword polish. Chip peeked out of hiding wondering what she was looking for this time. It was rare when she wasn't back there to get out of the rain or something.