FE7 HHM 0% growths (with commentary) CANCELLED

dondon151

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I actually thought it'd be kinda rude to just steal this and use it without crediting. I admit I've used two of your tactics at the FE10 draft, but at least I credited and thanked you for them in the post. 8[

Thank you, dondon.

So far, I haven't really used any of the tactics (I did thank Horace for his video, as I used something out of there). I've been using these videos to see what kind of beating my units can take.

It also helps that I believe the katakana support this, being ギィ.

Tangent: In the past I (unsuccessfully) tried to convince the translator of a fan translation project (for a different game) that this was the proper pronunciation, and the result was the unfortunate use of Gii throughout the game.

Edited by Balcerzak

There is literally no evidence to support this Guy = Gui nonsense. It could be that way, or it could be the British pronunciation, which is simply how the gender is pronounced. Of course, I can't comment on this whole "katakana" point, but I'm going to assume it's a complete fabrication so that I may continue to live in a fantasy world where Guy = Guy.

There is literally no evidence to support this Guy = Gui nonsense. It could be that way, or it could be the British pronunciation, which is simply how the gender is pronounced. Of course, I can't comment on this whole "katakana" point, but I'm going to assume it's a complete fabrication so that I may continue to live in a fantasy world where Guy = Guy.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/ae7j/chara/index.html

Go argue with the official site.

eclipse: Overlooking sarcasm since 2011.

In seriousness, I'm surprised dondon didn't mention the possible River Path strategy for Chapter 13, which also allows for a 6-turn completion. It involves using Hector to rescue Marcus and bring him over the river, and I've employed it effectively before, most recently in my SOYO playthrough. Though I'd be interested to see this possible 5-turn for myself...

Edited by Jaffar7

I totally forgot that lords can cross rivers. It usually isn't a useful trait because of how slow it is, particularly since on this map the river is 2 tiles wide at all of the locations that you'd want to cross over.

It also helps that I believe the katakana support this, being ギィ.

Tangent: In the past I (unsuccessfully) tried to convince the translator of a fan translation project (for a different game) that this was the proper pronunciation, and the result was the unfortunate use of Gii throughout the game.

Somehow I doubt the localization team expected us to say "Gee." "Guy" (pronounced gie) is a legitimate name in English and is used fairly commonly. However, I also don't think dondon wants his topic cluttered in a pronunciation discussion, so I'll leave it at that.

Somehow I doubt the localization team expected us to say "Gee." "Guy" (pronounced gie) is a legitimate name in English and is used fairly commonly. However, I also don't think dondon wants his topic cluttered in a pronunciation discussion, so I'll leave it at that.

I was originally on pronouncing it like you would the English word, but having taken French in high school, and also after checking the katakana, I decided to go with the pronunciation in the video.

The NoA localization is usually fairly close to the Japanese names, unless the localized name is completely different.

I was originally on pronouncing it like you would the English word, but having taken French in high school, and also after checking the katakana, I decided to go with the pronunciation in the video.

The NoA localization is usually fairly close to the Japanese names, unless the localized name is completely different.

I'm not saying you're wrong. It's not like I can prove it. It's just what my speculation leads me to believe. In the end it will just be another unanswered mystery of Fire Emblem.

But enough of that. Post more videos!

Chapter 13 (alternate strategy):

Since there is no continuity between this attempt and the rest of my playthrough, it will have to stand alone just as a point of reference.

About the randomized starting positions: the starting positions listed on FEWoD (http://www.fireemblemwod.net/fe7/hhm/cap13.htm) are the same as in my playthrough. This leads me to believe that it's either a coincidence or that there is a default starting conformation that changes depending on a certain yet unknown variable.

One last note about risk: Marcus does have to not get crit by Guy in this chapter. Guy also needs to either not get hit by Marcus's counterattack or have one of the brigand or archer miss. The brigands both have 0 hit on Guy when he is on a fort.

(Oh by the way I suddenly moved closer to the mic at around 2:29)

Edited by dondon151

Appreciate the shout-out in the video! It's like I'm a part of FE7 history. ;)

"...but I'm not sure how adequate it [the river strategy] is at completing the other chapter objectives." -- dondon

I confess that I've never done a 5-turn completion while saving both villages using the river strategy, but I'd suspect that it's certainly possible. The upper-left village is easily secured, and the mine village can be saved without too much hassle with a Lowen blitz after clearing out some of the enemy debris (the nasty archers in particular). The real problem I could see would be in recruiting Guy, which wasn't an issue on my SOYO run (as I hadn't drafted him), but definitely would be on an efficiency playthrough.

I don't have access to an FE7 rom (as my cartridge battery is still alive, I try to go all-natural to avoid the temptation to use states, etc.), but if someone wants to do some experimenting, I'd love to see if such a strategy is doable. At the end of the day, it's not going to be any better in terms of turn count... but there's something really novel about crossing the river that just feels right.

Edited by Jaffar7

Appreciate the shout-out in the video! It's like I'm a part of FE7 history. ;)

"...but I'm not sure how adequate it [the river strategy] is at completing the other chapter objectives." -- dondon

I confess that I've never done a 5-turn completion while saving both villages using the river strategy, but I'd suspect that it's certainly possible. The upper-left village is easily secured, and the mine village can be saved without too much hassle with a Lowen blitz after clearing out some of the enemy debris (the nasty archers in particular). The real problem I could see would be in recruiting Guy, which wasn't an issue on my SOYO run (as I hadn't drafted him), but definitely would be on an efficiency playthrough.

I don't have access to an FE7 rom (as my cartridge battery is still alive, I try to go all-natural to avoid the temptation to use states, etc.), but if someone wants to do some experimenting, I'd love to see if such a strategy is doable. At the end of the day, it's not going to be any better in terms of turn count... but there's something really novel about crossing the river that just feels right.

Actually, on a growths run, if Hector is at a high enough level (namely, has like +2 or +3 str on base to OHKO cavs with Wolf Beil), I don't think he even needs Marcus's help. He could theoretically reach the tile in front of Boies on turn 4.

Actually, on a growths run, if Hector is at a high enough level (namely, has like +2 or +3 str on base to OHKO cavs with Wolf Beil), I don't think he even needs Marcus's help. He could theoretically reach the tile in front of Boies on turn 4.

I'm going to try and verify this (as well as future possible discrepancies) by running a growth playthrough alongside your 0% playthrough, using your strategies as a base and seeing if there are more possibilities with a few key stat gains. I've already got one example: if it's true that the RNs are aligned in a set way at the beginning of a new game (in regards to the supposed "guaranteed six-turn Ch.11 completion" via the southern route), then in taking the west route, you can burn two RNs after Matthew opens the door, dodge the archer and the soldier's attack, and retain enough HP to survive Wire's attacks; that means a six-turn completion is possible both ways. And for what it's worth, you get a wonderful level-up to boot!

EDIT: Just tested this twice more with two separate files and, yes, it's guaranteed. I might post a video of it later.

Edited by Jaffar7

(in regards to the supposed "guaranteed six-turn Ch.11 completion" via the southern route), then in taking the west route, you can burn two RNs after Matthew opens the door, dodge the archer and the soldier's attack, and retain enough HP to survive Wire's attacks; that means a six-turn completion is possible both ways. And for what it's worth, you get a wonderful level-up to boot!

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying, but the 6 turn I originally had in mind is indeed taking the west route. I was pointing out in the video commentary that it is theoretically possible to complete in 6 turns via the south route if Hector is completely unobstructed, but the chances of success are so little that it won't happen short of a TAS.

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying, but the 6 turn I originally had in mind is indeed taking the west route. I was pointing out in the video commentary that it is theoretically possible to complete in 6 turns via the south route if Hector is completely unobstructed, but the chances of success are so little that it won't happen short of a TAS.

I see. Either way, your 7-turn could have been made into a guaranteed 6-turn by burning two RNs after Matthew opens the door, which is my point.