Fire Emblem: Dream of Five

AstraLunaSol

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I have a question.

I'm playing this hack for a screenshot LP atm and I have noticed a bug in the beginning of chapter 3:

3_zpsnptablh9.png

After this, the game will crash and restart.

Though you can avoid this, if you skip this.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Alright. . .what emulator are you using, and is this off of a save state, or the "Restart Game" option?

• 1 month later...

I got this problem too, and it has to do something with where you got the rom from, so just keep downloading the rom from different sites until one works. That's what I did at least.

I'm sorry for asking this, but when is 5.0 coming out? I've been waiting so long

If I were to take a guess, since Summer break just started, they'll begin working on it now. Any expected releases would probably be in a few months.

I'm sorry for asking this, but when is 5.0 coming out? I've been waiting so long

We're hoping to get some work done this upcoming summer. Dream of Five started back when we were all in high school and had more time, but now we're all in college or work, so progress is stagnant during the months schools are in session.

• 4 weeks later...

Is the patch in the OP up to date (V4.0)? I love this hack and don't want it to end only 14 chapters in D:

Yes, it is up to date. The file from the download link says V4. As was stated recently, V5 is currently being worked on.

I believe at some point, the creator said the total amount of chapters they would like to make is around 30, so there's plenty more to play once it's all out.

Yes, it is up to date. The file from the download link says V4. As was stated recently, V5 is currently being worked on.

I believe at some point, the creator said the total amount of chapters they would like to make is around 30, so there's plenty more to play once it's all out.

That's great! Any news on when 5.0 will release and how much it will add?

Also another question, when does the game get difficult? I remember some guy on GameFAQs saying he couldn't beat the hack even with savestate abuse so I was expecting something quite difficult. Chapters 3 and 5 gave me a bit of problems, but it's been smooth sailing apart from those. But again, I'm only on Chapter 6 which has been really easy.

Is he just bad at FE or does the game become quite brutal later on? FYI I'm a fan of challenging gameplay (provided it is more strategic than Awakening Lunatic+ BS) but I have a few soldiers who just seem to dodge everything or sponge up damage a little too well.

5.0 is supposed to go up to around chapter 19, the end of the next arc. The difficulty level should be similar to FE6 HM's (enemy stats are a tad higher, but the player stats are also slightly higher, and the hitrates are not /as/ terrible though it is lower than FE7's), which is what I'd personally call fairly manageable if you know what you're doing. You may have gotten some very good RNG rolls, because avoid is not supposed to be very reliable in DoF unless you're Renair against an axedude. You should probably check your units against the averages sheet and see how much Anna has favored you.

once my body adjusts from sleeping at 5am cramming code to getting up early for work, I should have enough energy to start working on the sprites again in the afternoon, so hopefully we'll start work soon again.

Edited by Thor Odinson

5.0 is supposed to go up to around chapter 19, the end of the next arc. The difficulty level should be similar to FE6 HM's (enemy stats are a tad higher, but the player stats are also slightly higher, and the hitrates are not /as/ terrible though it is lower than FE7's), which is what I'd personally call fairly manageable if you know what you're doing. You may have gotten some very good RNG rolls, because avoid is not supposed to be very reliable in DoF unless you're Renair against an axedude. You should probably check your units against the averages sheet and see how much Anna has favored you.

once my body adjusts from sleeping at 5am cramming code to getting up early for work, I should have enough energy to start working on the sprites again in the afternoon, so hopefully we'll start work soon again.

That's great to hear! When you get to the final arc (whenever that may be) you should make it something akin to Shadow Dragon's three or four star (not insane for some players, but a fair bit more challenging considering it's the final chapters). I'm just worried that by the end I'll have unstoppable units like in Awakening, Radiant Dawn, etc.

I also heard that the current difficulty is meant to be hard to complete in few amounts of turns, but easy to beat otherwise. I take a lot of time in each chapter, which could be why I find it fairly straightforward. But I'm not a fan of self imposed limits to make things more challenging either. :/

P.S. I just finished chapter six. Where do you recommend going first?

Edited by Eon

P.S. I just finished chapter six. Where do you recommend going first?

It's your choice really. One side has bard and female soldier, 2 cavaliers, hector lord, a mage, and a cleric plus mageknight that isn't usable yet, another has dancer and male soldier a female wyvern rider, a pirate, a female mercenary, a 'eliwood' lord and a prepromote swordmaster that is unusable like the mage knight.

I think I forgot a couple?

I believe the hector side has a dark mage and a extra pegasus knight too, i don't know what else the other route has, though I do remember a nomad.

Hector side is more magical on enemy side, while Eliwood side has more physical.

If that influence your decision some.

Edited by Fateborn

DoF used to have stricter "soft" turn requirements in several chapters (in the form of high level reinforcements that literally nobody can beat), but a lot of people had trouble and we relaxed it. Considering this is not actually meant to be a challenge hack (we intend on following roughly FE6HM level of difficulty for normal mode), but just harder than your average FE's normal or even hard in some cases, we will likely not raise the difficulty of normal mode to something akin to H4 (H3 is honestly about as hard as this, as a Lunatic+ player myself I don't find it H3 remotely hard personally). We may, depending on how much free time/effort we want to put in and how much free time we actually have, just make a hard mode which is slotted to be hopefully between FE12 Maniac and Lunatic if balanced right, but that will not happen before we finish normal and it will be quite the effort to design/balance it right.

DoF used to have stricter "soft" turn requirements in several chapters (in the form of high level reinforcements that literally nobody can beat), but a lot of people had trouble and we relaxed it. Considering this is not actually meant to be a challenge hack (we intend on following roughly FE6HM level of difficulty for normal mode), but just harder than your average FE's normal or even hard in some cases, we will likely not raise the difficulty of normal mode to something akin to H4 (H3 is honestly about as hard as this, as a Lunatic+ player myself I don't find it H3 remotely hard personally). We may, depending on how much free time/effort we want to put in and how much free time we actually have, just make a hard mode which is slotted to be hopefully between FE12 Maniac and Lunatic if balanced right, but that will not happen before we finish normal and it will be quite the effort to design/balance it right.

That's understandable, and perfectly fine. Either way I'm loving this hack and look forward to the next version! Will we be able to keep our saves .

It's your choice really. One side has bard and female soldier, 2 cavaliers, hector lord, a mage, and a cleric plus mageknight that isn't usable yet, another has dancer and male soldier a female wyvern rider, a pirate, a female mercenary, a 'eliwood' lord and a prepromote swordmaster that is unusable like the mage knight.

I think I forgot a couple?

I believe the hector side has a dark mage and a extra pegasus knight too, i don't know what else the other route has, though I do remember a nomad.

Hector side is more magical on enemy side, while Eliwood side has more physical.

If that influence your decision some.

Eliwood side also has a Myrmidon with a whack-ass name.

I took my time near the end of Chapter 9B thinking I wouldn't game over automatically. RIP Renair :( on a side note, those are some great custom pictures you have for that scene.

9b was the most difficult chapter in this game for several reasons:

• FoW
  • time pressure
  • lots of enemies to fight in the first turns (especially the long bow archers were a serious problem)
  • draco reinforcements will catch your team, if you're too slow

There's nothing else than turtling for the first a couple turns and try to kill as many enemies as possiblee. The physic stave, which you could get in the previous chapter, will help you a lot. The new healer has the required weapon level use it already.

I must admit I've played this chapter very offensively. I send Amelia, Ilanice and Juan (despite long bows) on the front. Ilanice had a B-support with Amelia already, she dodged most of the enemy attacks.

Nevertheless I lost an unit in this chapter (didn't restart for it).

However it was the only real difficult chapter for me in Onduris. The upcoming chapters are much more bearable.

[spoiler=Hint for the next chapter:]If you want to kill the boss, kill him in the last turn!

All in all the Onduris-route is easier than Muasin.

9b was the most difficult chapter in this game for several reasons:

• FoW
  • time pressure
  • lots of enemies to fight in the first turns (especially the long bow archers were a serious problem)
  • draco reinforcements will catch your team, if you're too slow
There's nothing else than turtling for the first a couple turns and try to kill as many enemies as possiblee. The physic stave, which you could get in the previous chapter, will help you a lot. The new healer has the required weapon level use it already.

I must admit I've played this chapter very offensively. I send Amelia, Ilanice and Juan (despite long bows) on the front. Ilanice had a B-support with Amelia already, she dodged most of the enemy attacks.

Nevertheless I lost an unit in this chapter (didn't restart for it).

However it was the only real difficult chapter for me in Onduris. The upcoming chapters are much more bearable.

[spoiler=Hint for the next chapter:]If you want to kill the boss, kill him in the last turn!

All in all the Onduris-route is easier than Muasin.

Thanks for the tips. I just turtled for way too long and didn't send my their far enough out to get a good line of site. Those dracoknights were obnoxious. I really liked that chapter anyway though it had a good difficulty level. It shouldn't be too hard on my second try now that I know what to expect though.