some maps I created.

Claude C Kenny

castlecellsscrn.jpg

nothing special, its just supposed to be one of those maps you see between chapters.

chapter1scrn.jpg

the map of the first chapter. mountains are there for story purpose, but I might put them at the bottom.

now that I look at it, its sort of bland. the walled in area is supposed to be a courtyard. i'll fix it.

i'm not sure if I actually did everything correctly, so please point out anything that needs to be changed. suggestions are also welcome.

also, sorry its JPG. I don't know how to change it.

Edited by Claude_C_Kenny

Tilespam, tilespam, tilespam. There are more than one of each tile, you know.

Otherwise, they're just some extremely simple maps. Woo~

You fix jpeg by saving the maps as a PNG before uploading them, or by using imageshack, instead of photobucket.

is the first one at least good enough since its just briefly showed in the first chapter cutscene, or do both need to be changed?

I already said I had a problem with the second one being too bland, so I am planning to fix it anyway.

I think you guys might like the next one I make, since it is going to have alot of different stuff.

also, those useless houses you see sometimes. have any of them ever given you an item the same way villages do, or are they something that I don't have to worry about having in every single field map?

one other thing: is my shading OK?

Edited by Claude_C_Kenny

is the first one at least good enough since its just briefly showed in the first chapter cutscene, or do both need to be changed?

I already said I had a problem with the second one being too bland, so I am planning to fix it anyway.

I think you guys might like the next one I make, since it is going to have alot of different stuff.

also, those useless houses you see sometimes. have any of them ever given you an item the same way villages do, or are they something that I don't have to worry about having in every single field map?

one other thing: is my shading OK?

The first one just has tile spam, it can be easily fixed.

One problem is the shading in the courtyard.

Light only heads in one direction, but you have it coming from all directions. Add some trees for variety.

Cool.

Last I checked, you could have the houses give out items, but it's all events.

You're not encouraging me with regards to plot.

Anyway, the new ones are...better, but they still show a lot of the problems with the old.

The maps are still JPEGed. Again, save them as .PNG before uploading, or upload to imageshack.com instead.

yeah, I know. I was in a hurry.

BTW, does anyone have any advice for building up peaks? they're really kicking my ass right now.

anyone? no one has any advice? and Furetchen, if you'rer reading this, could you elaborate your last post please?

Edited by Claude_C_Kenny

• 3 months later...

Wow! This has been dead and forgotten for awhile, eh? I hope this doesn't count as necroposting, since it's an update. Since my hack is well off the ground now, I need to make sure my next few chapters are up to par and looking good. Right now, I have 2 maps that I would like to get some suggestions on, because they just don't look right.

chapter2mapscrn.png

This one here probably doesn't look too bad, except for anyone that may call tilespam. It's not as bad as the next one.

chapter3mapscrn.png

Yeah, um, I really need some help. As you can see, my dirt is crappy with those dots in the middle. I have no clue how to get rid of them, i've tried everything. But, just some basic suggestions should do well enough.

Boring forests are boring. >: And exceedingly uniform. As well as the paths and water. Please, if you ever see water naturally running around a corner like that, I'd like you to take a picture of it and send it to me immediately. There also seems to be quite a bit of same-tile grass spammage. Not really sure what's going on with the walls in the lower map, either. Grass on path and grass outside of path seem to be two different palettes.

That's... not even the same thing, Claude. Your water is just a literal corner. All of those waterways have a source, and flow properly down to some other edge of the map. Yours is literally a corner of water, and it doesn't look good.

chapter2mapscrn.png

It's better than your previous maps, but still needs some work:

-Roads shouldn't be compeltely straight, and the left road is missing an ending.

-There are plenty of forest tiles, yet you used only one. Variety is mandatory for maps, since nature isn't uniform.

-Same thing with the grass, there are many different grass tiles, but you only used one as far as I can see.

-Add a road, some light grass, or some forests to the left side of the map. It looks way too empty compared to the right one.

chapter3mapscrn.png

-Why did you use different grass shades for each side of the map? It makes the road stand out too much.

-The same thing about grass that I mentioned before, specially in the right side of the map.

-Again, roads are not uniform. Those small grass dots can easily be removed by using the correct tiles.

-Why did you put some trees in front of the Armory? It just looks...weird.

-There are a few erros in the wall tiles. For example, the tile to the northeast of the Vendor is clearly the wrong one.

-Chests need shading, though I can't remember if this tileset included shaded roads.

Overall, not too bad, but there are still some tilespam problems, and some "wrong tile" issues.