100% chance to pick up desert items

nano

I tried to search around and this doesn't seem to have been posted.

The original thread is on ChinaFE, apparently from two years ago:

http://bbs.fireemble...=184603&fpage=2

A summary:

There is a 'second RN' in the game that determines whether a non-thief character find an hidden item or not. This number is burnt whenever a character portrait with moving eyes and mouth is displayed (so the stats page doesn't count) and resets when the game is reset. Obviously it is also burnt when a treasure hunt occurs.

The 3, 17, 31, 32 and 40th number guarantees a treasure.

Using this trick, by resetting the game before doing a treasure hunt and then burning the adequate amount of 'second RN' anyone can pick up items with 100% chance.

Example:

Displaying Flo's portrait burns 2 'second RN's, one for eyes and one for month. After that Lucius spend the third RN on the treasure.

1.gif

More examples:

2.gif

3.gif

4.gif

5.gif

These gifs are from the original thread, I just put them here for your convenience.

It'd be great if someone can test this, since I don't have a relevant save.

Well, this is interesting. I'd like to test it when I have the chance and am not busy with HHM.

Strange why they'd have a second RN just for the desert chapter, but from the GIFs there it looks legit.I would like to see an actual video of it being done.

Thanks, I'll need to try this out when I have time.

I knew that a RN sequence separate from the battle outcome RN sequence was being used, but couldn't imagine what it was linked to. I *think* Nitrodon may have mentioned something about displaying portraits to me, but I can't really remember. In any case, this is really clever ^^

EDIT

Seems like the trick works. I tested RNs 3, 17 and 31 and kept getting the nearby Ocean Seal. I also ran around the map, resetting -> viewing Hector's portrait once -> waiting where item should be and got every single item without fail.

Edited by VincentASM

• 1 year later...

Anyone know of any way to do it in FE8 though? I tried both methods and neither succeeded. Am I just doing it wrong?