Dub voice actors

Galenforcer

36 members have voted

1. 1. How well do you think they do?

• Great. I wouldn't imagine any better.
    • Near perfection. Can't find too much flaws.
    • There are some good ones.
    • I prefer original japanese VAs.

I'm kinda bored, so I wanted to make something like this. Dub VAs can fall into anime, opening songs, games, etc.

I personally think dubs are ok at times. There are some bad ones I hear, but I usually don't let it get to me.

I'm pretty in the middle on them. Some are mediocre, which is a reason why I listen to Negima!!'s original instead of the dub. I actually prefer Code Geass and FMA in English though, because I love like

and Yuri, and the dubs are actually quite good.

As for games, I'm pretty sure Atlus is usually where the dubs are pretty equal, if not better, than the original voices from what I've heard people say, same with NIS.

Overall... I haven't really heard any truly bad ones before (unless you count Chaos Wars but I don't call that acting) so I usually watch the dubs anyway. Unless the main character is voiced by Wendee Lee.

Then I refuse. hi haurhi

Edited by Parfait

I usually prefer Konami's dubs over the Japanese VA (Curse of Darkness, any Metal Gear, etc.), but both are good most of the time.

As for anime, usually prefer Japanese VA. I don't know why, not that dubs are bad (not all the time, anyway), but it just feels more...right. If it has one of my favourite Japanese guys in it though, I'm definitely throwing the dub out and watching it in Japanese.

I'll take either, but I tend to prefer dubs. I find it a bit more enjoyable to watch without having to read subtitles. Sure, there are bad dubs, but you can find bad apples in everything.

When it comes to anime, I consider myself an English dub enthusiast and have argued their case on multiple occasions (ironically I tend to watch more subbed but that's because I watch a lot of recent anime that hasn't been licensed). I'll pretty much always watch a show dubbed if it's available unless the dub is terrible, which happens but tends to be rare. As such, none of the poll options really work for me; I wouldn't say "near perfection" because they're not that good, but I'd also say they're better than just "Oh, some are good."

When it comes to other things, I can't say I'm educated. I've had some experience with games and most of them tend to be fine, though, so I'd probably be in the same boat on that subject.

"There are some good ones".

That goes for any version of a show/game, whether it is dubbed or not. What language is being spoken has nothing to do with the quality of a show/game's voice cast and their work. For example, an English dubbed Japanese show is no worse than the original with Japanese VAs just because it is a dub, it depends entirely on the cast and how they play their roles for each of the versions.

I don't really get the comparisons or heated debates, it makes no sense to me :P.

I'm a weeaboo, so I'm pretty biased. But English dubs have been progressing. There is phenomenal work out there.

Some are mediocre, which is a reason why I listen to Negima!!'s original instead of the dub.

GWAHAHAHAHAHAHA. THAT however is an example that is almost worthy to be put on something like "Audio Atrocities" site which is a database of horrid video game dubs.

On something like Blazblue's options which have both options on the disc, they're both pretty equal.

I'm pretty on the middle ground.

Unless something is as horrible as Arc Rise Fantasia (look it up, I actually never played it either), I it's not really a target of my complaints.

My preference on dubs or subs when they're equal?

I don't need subs

I pick dub.... JAPANESE dub aka RAW:P

Edited by shadowofchaos

Normally, I prefer the original voices, though there are some pretty good english VAs as well. I think my favourite is... Johnny Yong Bosch, a former Power Ranger. After that he became very active in voice acting, some of his most famous roles are Ichigo Kurosaki and Lelouch Lamperouge. Oh yeah, he also spoke several roles in video games, like DMC4, Persona 4 and Dissida Final Fantasy

Anime: I shudder at the pronunciation of most Japanese names in English dubs.

Games: Atlus is a coin flip. Sometimes, you'll get brilliance (Yggdra Union was the game I had the least issues with), while other games. . .(Luminous Arc 2. . .as much as I heart Yuri, I hope he never, EVER gets that kind of role again).

This might not be quite the same thing, but there are a small number of songs I actually prefer the english versions of. Lunar SSSC's intro and boat song, YYH's opening and closing...actually, no others come to mind off the top of my head atm. On the flipside, I'm not a fan of either the English or Japanese versions of Ruroni Kenshin's opening (Freckles?).

Most epic english voice actress is probably the first voice actor for Excel, who damaged her vocal cords and had to be replaced as a result.

GAIOH GAIOH, SET SAIL FOR ONE PIECE, is the best US opening EVER

• 2 weeks later...

As for games, I'm pretty sure Atlus is usually where the dubs are pretty equal, if not better, than the original voices from what I've heard people say, same with NIS.

didn't NIS do the dub of Sakura wars? *shudders*

Overall... I haven't really heard any truly bad ones before (unless you count Chaos Wars but I don't call that acting) so I usually watch the dubs anyway. Unless the main character is voiced by Wendee Lee.

Then I refuse. hi haurhi

I agree with you on that!

...oh you want to know what I think? I don't care with anime. Video games I rather have them dubbed unless its Sakura Wars or Soul calibur 4 and onward. SC2 had a great dub IMO. Another great Video Game dub? Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes. *Runs Away*

Edited by aizengard

• 2 weeks later...

There are some good ones, but I often feel that dub actors lack the emotion and oomph that Japanese VAs put into their respective roles.

Guest Wen Yang

I usually prefer the original ones, although this preference does NOT only go with japanese ones. In general, I prefer EVERYTHING in their original language, plus subtitles in a language I understand where said original language in one I don't know at all.

Anime: I always watch the Japanese, but not because I think dubs are bad. I just want to experience the show/movie in its original form.

Also, ignoring crazy 4Kids editing for a monent, I find dubs still tend to lose some of the original's meaning, because often some lines must be changed to suit lip-synching. I tend to get a little pedantic about this stuff since I'm a massive translation whore.

Though I do get annoyed when people say Japanese VAs are always inheritly better than dub ones just because they're Japanese. I think this just stems from the fact that it's harder to tell good acting from bad acting in a language that isn't your native one. (of course, there are some Japanese voices where it's easy to tell, but you see what I mean)

Games: Unless they're unbearable bad or annoying (but not if its "so bad it's good"), I always stick with English. Mainly because most games don't even have the option to switch the voices, so I've gotten used to the dubs. And there are quite a few that are pretty amazing.

Forgive me for this; we're on a very touchy subject of mine.

Anime: I always watch the Japanese, but not because I think dubs are bad. I just want to experience the show/movie in its original form.

Watching a dub of your native language is arguably a more "original" experience since the intended audience understood the spoken dialogue without having subtitles across the bottom of the screen. You really can't get a truly "original" experience unless you understand the original spoken language.

Forgive me for this; we're on a very touchy subject of mine.

Watching a dub of your native language is arguably a more "original" experience since the intended audience understood the spoken dialogue without having subtitles across the bottom of the screen. You really can't get a truly "original" experience unless you understand the original spoken language.

I thought that sounded odd at first, but thinking about it, I actually understand where your coming from. I'm probably biased as I study Japanese and thus do understand bits of the original spoken language.

I was never trying to criticise your views or anything. Sorry if you got that impression.

I thought that sounded odd at first, but thinking about it, I actually understand where your coming from. I'm probably biased as I study Japanese and thus do understand bits of the original spoken language.

Well, that works :P.

I was never trying to criticise your views or anything. Sorry if you got that impression.

Oh, no, that wasn't the impression I got. It's just that I argue this about as much as I argue Fire Emblem tiers, only on other forums that aren't this one. It's one of those subjects that gets me talking a lot.

I have a translator for when I watch anime so I am ok. Plus having picked up on some japanese. I can watch some shows with out subs now. Though when I ask the girl when I don't fully understand the words.

Seems like I posted on the wrong thread similar to this. I don't want my rant to go to waste, so here's where my opinion is when it comes to CRAPPY DUBs.

SPOILER WARNING, I was ranting, so I apologize for any spoilers.

As far as Cardcaptor Sakura went, DO NOT watch the English dub, aka "Cardcaptors" which was heavily edited to attempt (note: ATTEMPT) to fit the anime for American audiences as well as target boys as well as girls. Kind of like an attempt to compete with Pokemon's target audience.

Don't get me wrong, the opening song was catchy (the dubbed Cardcaptors one) but the Original one definitely had the shoujo anime feeling. And even IF it was cute like that, when I was 10, AND I'M A GUY, I probably would have still watched the anime.

Actually, when I was 10, just like everyone else, you would probably be completely fine if you watched Cardcaptors ONLY. By itself, it's a decent anime, considering it was the first ever thing to introduce me to the concept of "cute". However, Cardcaptor Sakura doesn't have a large fanbase, with many people saying "It was my favorite anime of all time." for no reason.

Like an analogy I saw somewhere on the internet with the two series, "It's hard to miss the beauty and vastness of the ocean when all you've ever seen is a small lake."

To my knowledge, there has been NUMEROUS voice actor changes for Syaoran Li (I SIMPLY REFUSE to call him "Showron") in the middle of the freaking series. Not to mention, the heavily edited Cardcaptors shows "Today's card" with segments of the Cardcaptor Sakura episodes of the ones you never see. It's a giant middle finger to the viewer, pretty much. Character development is VERY skewed. I haven't watched Cardcaptors episodes besides the zoo one and the Final Judgement, but I did read that Sakura was able to confess to Yukito/Julian, BUT Syaoran was not able to confess to Sakura. They edited that out. I can see WHY they would, it's editing to fit kids, but seriously, they did a crappy job at it. The way the text described it on summary, it seems like "Elementary Schoolers are allowed to confess to older people, as long as they get rejected. Since we edited the confession of a grade schooler to a grade schooler, we are saying YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE FEELINGS WHATSOEVER WHEN YOU'RE THAT YOUNG."

The stuff above, the erasing of Li's confession, basically SHOT THE SECOND MOVIE'S ENTIRE PLOT AND PURPOSE. I'm not sure if the voice actor's changed to the Australian dub or whatever, but I watched it in Japanese, there just happened to be a second track there that was English. I heard Sakura call Syaoran actually "SYAORAN" in English, so I ASSUMED (yes, shut up) it must be better, considering how butchered the entire Americanized series was.

Considering I just finished the OVA's 5 minutes ago and the 70 episodes 2 days before that, I had a fresh rant in my mind. I watched the Japanese dub of Cardcaptor Sakura, and I was so into it, that I'm feeling that I'm in a slump right now for finishing it, because I want more. But alas, all good things must come to an end.

GO FREAKING WATCH THE JAPANESE VERSION, don't waste your time with English Cardcaptors. If you're gonna watch it in English, watch "Cardcaptor Sakura" Austalian English dubbed version (I read SOMEWHERE, I'm not sure, that they dubbed all 70 episodes for the Australia dubs).

That anime is probably one of the best arguments against CRAPPY DUBBING. Don't get me wrong, there are great dubs out there, but Cardcaptors was one of the crappiest ones I have ever had the displeasure to watch dubbed, but had the greatest pleasure being sucked into with the Japanese voiced, English subtitled/No subtitles version series.

The nostalgia was great. However, with this, my 10 year old crush, hidden for 9 years, waiting to be lifted by watching every episode and killing it by shipping Sakura x Syaoran probably more than I ship Eliwood x Ninian, I hope is finally done with.

I apologize to Tangerine for making her lock the other thread because of my mistake of a necropost.

So, there's my rant when it comes to crappy English dubs.

Like I said, there are good dubs out there, it's just when editing + changes that DON'T NEED TO BE THERE, and changes which sound dumb is what really ticks me off.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I apologize to Tangerine for making her lock the other thread because of my mistake of a necropost.

Your punishment is that you have to buy and watch the entirety of 4kids' One Piece dub.

That is a cruel and unfair punishment!

On topic: I'm not a fan of dubs, not even for non-anime. French animation also seems wonky when dubbed to English, though that could be due to overzealous actors. I prefer to hear the original source audio.

• 1 month later...

i do love dub's but i will agree Big Klingy on the translation part but on diffrent terms. sometimes the dub can be really good but have crapy translation like bleach (even though i dont like the dub very much) or anything 4kids does.

one of my favorate voice actors is Dan Green and look at how many crapy translations he was in. i also dont really it when they change a line around to where its not the same as a jappanese line (part of the reson why i dont like the bleach dub) but for me its always the acting or the translation.