Another Art Topic

Blackavar

Okay, I think this is it for now on Vanessa. While doing this, I've realized that I never bother trying to draw conventionally attractive women, but FE8 calls Vanessa beautiful, so...eh.

j8ds06.jpg

Now, on to drawing more peg knight-related characters...

Boney: Hey, good to see you again!

w-wow, how do you remember me? O_o i don't eve--

Okay, I think this is it for now on Vanessa. While doing this, I've realized that I never bother trying to draw conventionally attractive women, but FE8 calls Vanessa beautiful, so...eh.

http://i39.tinypic.com/j8ds06.jpg

Now, on to drawing more peg knight-related characters...

oh my god...*falls over*

the face doesn't look anything like vanessa, but other than that...yeah...

and what program do you use to color?

Mewiyev: Oh, wow, thank you so much for the edit! And yeah, don't worry about the permission stuff. I really appreciate you taking the time out of your schedule to do a paintover in the first place.

The composition of this pic initially had Deirdre smaller for some reason, but your idea makes more sense and looks better, in hindsight. I'll definitely apply those suggestions, though there probably won't be another major update on that pic for some time...it's just something I want to spend a little extra time on.

You're welcome! I hope you bring it to an awesome place when you do spend more time on it.

I really am digging this Vanessa piece. The face in particular is really nice, the little tidbits of highlight on the dark side of the face are lovely. You really know the face! You've got those skin tones down pat as well, I'm envious. I really struggle with skin colors. I also think the pauldron (spaulder?) in shadow is beautifully painted. It really feels like it's made of some sort of thick metal.

Seeing that you posted a B/W version first, do you use overlay/soft light blending layers to add color? I'm always eager to find out about digital painting t.t

Oh and for the record I disagree about this not looking like Vanessa, in my opinion her character art is far too stylized to say one way or another

Edited by Mewiyev

w-wow, how do you remember me? O_o i don't eve--

oh my god...*falls over*

the face doesn't look anything like vanessa, but other than that...yeah...

and what program do you use to color?

You were pretty active back on FEND. Also, you might be in the minority of members on SF who post regularly but don't keep changing their usernames to something completely different. XD

Haha, yeah, I admit I was out of my comfort zone with the face here. Out of curiosity, how do you think the face could look more like Vanessa?

I use Photoshop 7.0, which I had for...about eight years. It's kind of outdated and hardly recommended for painting, but I'm comfortable enough with it at this point.

You're welcome! I hope you bring it to an awesome place when you do spend more time on it.

I really am digging this Vanessa piece. The face in particular is really nice, the little tidbits of highlight on the dark side of the face are lovely. You really know the face! You've got those skin tones down pat as well, I'm envious. I really struggle with skin colors. I also think the pauldron (spaulder?) in shadow is beautifully painted. It really feels like it's made of some sort of thick metal.

Seeing that you posted a B/W version first, do you use overlay/soft light blending layers to add color? I'm always eager to find out about digital painting t.t

Oh and for the record I disagree about this not looking like Vanessa, in my opinion her character art is far too stylized to say one way or another

Thanks! I actually struggle with skin colors too, especially the lips. Most of the time I just keep mixing colors at various blend modes until I luck out. It's a bad habit since I don't really learn anything that way.

The method here was: B&W underpainting, then monochrome-ish color painting through a color blending layer/photoshop variations tool, then a few overlay/color layers at various opacities on top, and finally a layer on normal blending mode for touch-ups. It's easier for me to work on form/lighting/values with B&W underpaintings, but my coloring still isn't strong enough to work with them--I probably won't do as many pieces using this method in the future. The overlay method might look better if one or two colors really tie together the rest of the piece, which didn't happen here.

Haha, I can relate to wanting to learn about digital painting. I would geek out more about this sort of thing, but this post is getting a little long as it is. :P

Agreed, FE characters, or at least the younger ones, do need more recognizably different faces.

uhh no that's like saying her facial features have no meaning lolol. vanessa has one of the most distinct faces in the game, even.

You were pretty active back on FEND. Also, you might be in the minority of members on SF who post regularly but don't keep changing their usernames to something completely different. XD

ohh, so you saw my history of idiocy ^^;

Haha, yeah, I admit I was out of my comfort zone with the face here. Out of curiosity, how do you think the face could look more like Vanessa?

okay even though i'm a terrible artist, i'm going to do my best to dodge the style choices of the original and make realistic connections since that's the style you're going for...

so basically what i see on vanessa's face is some influence from korean facial features, but your piece looked very much like a caucasian woman instead. most notably the eyes.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1342119083_00210m.jpg

the eyebrows should have a sharper arc and the depth of her eye sockets should be lesser like so. the eyes themselves seem to be fine, though.

also, i think the front of the jaw where the mouth is down to the shin should curve in more, and curve in less? the indent above her mouth should be less deep and this one's hard to explain, but i kinda have a reference i think... http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/mariah-carey-photo-the-butler-gi.jpg

as for the nose, i have no idea.

lastly, she looks...shaky? she looks a bit nervous and paranoid, but the original vanessa always struck me as appearing really confident. her in game portrait is stout, yet relaxed, and in her official art she doesn't appear to have a care in the world.

...but...yeah other than those things, it's a really nice piece. mind-blowing ✰_✰ (yes i did save it, tyvm!!)