Fire Emblem - Heart of Steel(Demo-out!)

Fitz24

Wow you've got a lot of animation ideas. The Axeman is pretty cool, though I think the blade of the axe could be a little bigger. In addition, there isn't much of a difference between the blade and shaft color wise. They are normally separate colors. Though if you're limited by the 16 color restriction that's fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woo! Progress!

I have completed Chapter 1 finally -__- and I have to say it is a pretty tough chapter. It took a lot of time, and it is probably the most detailed chapter I've made yet. (Event-wise, map - wise, enemy -wise, difficulty - wise)

There are only two known bugs that don't effect the gameplay so no big worries, should be a quick fix once I learn how to fix it :P

Screens are coming!

Well, I am near completion with the demo of my hack. It includes the Prologue and Chapters 1 & 2. This entire demo is just a chance to show off my work.

The demo should be done around the end of the week if everything goes as planned.

Also, the patch will be unveiled in a trailer which will be my 100th video on Youtube, and eventually on all the forums I visit.

For Spoilers, you will have to visit Fire Emblem Shrine, due to the fact it houses everything about my hack from it's humble beginnings of suck.

Screens a plenty.

[spoiler=Click if you dare]The Chapters, in order. PI stands for Part 1.

chapters.png

WTF is that? It's the tactician attacking! :D

attacktact.png

What!??!?! Dance? Tactician? "Dance" will be changed to "Strategize".

dancejg.png

The "Strategizing" animation.

dancing.png

Woo! Comedy! Kinda

lolzlb.png

Sean is impatient.

whereo.png

Questions? Now? Why?

tylers.png

• 2 weeks later...

You should check out Prime's mapping tutorial in his gallery, because right now, to be honest, they could benefit from that. Also, for your soldier animations, it would seem more natural if you edited every frame. Like the idea though.

Heh, that's kind of funny. Though the direction the cannon is facing and the direction the wheels are facing don't match because of shading issues. And the tutorial deranger is talking about is in my map thread and there's a link to that in my signature.

Haha. Yes, I knew this, for some odd reason, the events just didn't pick it up....sooo....it was just like that. I said it in my 100th video special. However, you would only get a vulnerary from that house.

Okay, okay, okay, stop. Right now.

That attitude is why most of us hackers ridicule and look down on Blazer. He has the same attitude of "well, it's only minor so I'm not gonna fix it". It's these little things that make a hack polished and awesome instead of just mediocre.

Edited by Camtech075

I never said I wasn't going to fix it. I left it as it is for the sheer fact it was to be unveiled in my 100th video on Youtube. I worked for a good half hour trying to fix that exact bug. I finally just said "screw it" and wrote it in the description that it was a known bug. I had every intention on fixing it, but I wanted to continue doing my LP's, which I couldn't do until I got video #100 uploaded. The entire demo was primarily to say, "Hey guys, I've been working on this for a while, and I'd like to show you what I have so far." No, this hack isn't in anyway a "perfect" hack, but it is pretty damn good for what I could put up seeing as I learned how to do everything there is to know about hacking. No, I'm not the greatest at all of this, but I give a shit-ton of effort. I do all sprites, mugs, events and maps myself., so it takes me a long time to finish even one chapter. I don't appreciate you coming in and saying, "Oh, he has one bug that he didn't want to fix, so I'm not even going to care." The fact I've gotten this far impresses myself.

I respect a lot of you guys on here, but that comment really annoyed me.

Well then, I really don't know what to say to you besides "tough". Did it occur to you to ask for help? Is there a reason you can't let's play before your 100th vid is up? You can record without uploading, you know. I am personally a believer of the "perfect is unattainable" idea, but to be honest, this is nothing special. Sure, it would have been pretty damn good last year, but in this day and age of hacking, this is nothing special.

Yes, I knew I could ask for help, but I liked to try and do things myself and see what I can do. I never said I didn't like working on my own, I just said it was difficult.

By Let's Playing I mean uploading the videos, not just doing them. I actually have a few already recorded and ready to go.

Well, I don't have any spectacular hacking talents. I'm alright at some things, but not spectacular. I am still learning basically everything.

This hack again was primarily to say, "Hey guys, I've been working on this for a while, and I'd like to show you what I have so far."

Well okay then. I guess this conversation is finished. This has potential, if you can get someone to fix up the graphics.

Just so you can avoid people like me (asshole elitist pricks) having similar arguments in the future, the correct response to the earlier situation is "okay, I'll fix it"

*shot*

Edited by Camtech075

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Nothing much of interest to show you as of now. I have been cleaning

up the Prologue and Chapter 2 because I somehow lost all my

events....dry.gif

Regardless, I wrote more storyline which can be seen in the

first post. I've been doing a ton of work and hope to get started with Chapter 3

sometime soon. laugh.gif

Wow... this topic is extremely depressing. To be fair, I didn't see the old hack, so I don't have much place commenting on it. But there were certain "critiques" that just weren't necessary. I used to think that this was an awesome community. Yes, one topic really changed my entire view on that. The way I see it, any ROM hacking community needs as much support as it can get. I don't know when it was that FE hacking became big enough for some members to become stuck up assholes and start rejecting aspiring co-workers. I'd also be willing to bet that not a single one of you would dare act like this in public, because you'd have your asses handed to you immediately. Nobody has the right to act like this, especially a forum full of nerds. And I do believe everyone here is a nerd, including myself. So seriously, everyone get off of your high horses and offer some advice that doesn't make anybody upset. Really, computer skillz elitism? Let's put things in perspective please.

Now, on the hack. A few things I'd originally come to mention:

Your graphical skills have apparently come quite far, but the script needs some work. First off, use some damn contractions! It's dialogue, remember, not an essay. Secondly, I've missed quite a bit of text in instance where you have the text set to auto-scroll at the beginning of a new piece of dialogue. Both of these I'm guessing would be easy fixes.

Now just a bit on your maps. I've only played up to chapter 2, but I'm seeing a trend you seem to like where the player has to essentially weave back and forth to get to the end of a map. Most FE maps give the player options as to which route which characters take. I know it's early on, so I could be dead wrong, but regardless, watch out.

On the topic of maps, it seems like you have most enemies set to charge the player immediately. While this can create some interesting pandemonium, after the dust settles there's always like 2 or 3 units set to not move that are left behind, making some of the map a long and boring trek through empty map space.

That's all I have for now. Despite some obvious faults in the hack, I personally think it looks promising. Keep up the good work.

I'd also be willing to bet that not a single one of you would dare act like this in public, because you'd have your asses handed to you immediately. Nobody has the right to act like this, especially a forum full of nerds. And I do believe everyone here is a nerd

I'd argue this, only because I don't fit your internet contemporary of "nerd", and am large enough to act like a stuck up asshole, IRL. Please don't assume/generalize the same thing about everyone based on a few things they've said ;/

Wow... this topic is extremely depressing. To be fair, I didn't see the old hack, so I don't have much place commenting on it. But there were certain "critiques" that just weren't necessary.

If they contain something that can improve the hack in general, it's a good thing.

I used to think that this was an awesome community. Yes, one topic really changed my entire view on that. The way I see it, any ROM hacking community needs as much support as it can get. I don't know when it was that FE hacking became big enough for some members to become stuck up assholes and start rejecting aspiring co-workers.

Thanks. It's what we do.

I'd also be willing to bet that not a single one of you would dare act like this in public, because you'd have your asses handed to you immediately. Nobody has the right to act like this, especially a forum full of nerds. And I do believe everyone here is a nerd, including myself.

Doesn't really matter if we would act like this in public. It's the internet O:

So seriously, everyone get off of your high horses and offer some advice that doesn't make anybody upset. Really, computer skillz elitism? Let's put things in perspective please.

A lot of people here are blunt (I.E. Trent). If someone gets upset over completely valid critique, tough balls. In fact, as Cam said, we can avoid the 'advice that gets people upset' if Fitz just says "Ok, I'll fix it" Of course that does require him fixing it, but that's another issue.

I think there's something fundamentally logically wrong about "Hey, I'll reveal a minor glitch in my 100th YouTube video!" Yeah, that'll rack up the subscribers >_>.

But aside from that fun little quip, I also love that bigmac bashes people for not supporting aspiring co-workers through criticism. What directly follows his scolding of criticism? His own criticism, complete with bluntness and swearing. You even confess that this looks "promising," the same thing that the terribly tyrannous critics did. Practice what you preach? But hey, ya can't do that. Practicing what you preach means you actually have behave yourself instead of super-post scolding others.

I don't really know what you're looking for for "support." Here's my best shot though: "doood ur hax is soooooooooograte!!!!!!!!! sooooo grate i cant even type englisgh or uz shift key becuz it reduced me to state of awsum awsumnessssss!!!!!! u rock!!!!!!!! u da beeesstttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

If my options are people lying and saying my hack is great, or getting some blunt criticism, I take the latter.

EDIT: I got mixified on which was my former and my latter in the above line. My bad.

Edited by Rodimus Supreme OVERTROLL

Wow... this topic is extremely depressing. To be fair, I didn't see the old hack, so I don't have much place commenting on it. But there were certain "critiques" that just weren't necessary. I used to think that this was an awesome community. Yes, one topic really changed my entire view on that.

"It's almost as if I can be swayed by a single action among hundreds of examples!"

The way I see it, any ROM hacking community needs as much support as it can get.
The word 'quality' is disturbingly absent from this sentence. So what, we gave this piece of code a complex?
I don't know when it was that FE hacking became big enough for some members to become stuck up assholes

Silly rabbit, meritocracy is for grown-ups.

and start rejecting aspiring co-workers.

Rejecting, no. Advising, yes.

I'd also be willing to bet that not a single one of you would dare act like this in public, because you'd have your asses handed to you immediately.

"Hey Don, your project shows promise, but I think it might be better if-"

"YOU DARE SPEAK TO ME, WORM"

"Uh...yeah."

Nobody has the right to act like this, especially a forum full of nerds.

Whoa, slow down there.

And I do believe everyone here is a nerd, including myself.
Your belief is incorrect.
So seriously, everyone get off of your high horses and offer some advice that doesn't make anybody upset.

Can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen. No use sugar-coating valid and helpful advice. We WANT this hack to be better. That's why we are DOING this.

Really, computer skillz elitism? Let's put things in perspective please.

Your spontaneous and irritating use of the letter zed in incorrect places irks me.

Now I will proceed to throw your techniques at you.

Now, on the hack. A few things I'd originally come to mention:

Your graphical skills have apparently come quite far, but the script needs some work. First off, use some damn contractions!

Harsh, bro. God, he used PUNCTUATION! It's like he's SHOUTING at me inside my HEAD!

It's dialogue, remember, not an essay. Secondly, I've missed quite a bit of text in instance where you have the text set to auto-scroll at the beginning of a new piece of dialogue. Both of these I'm guessing would be easy fixes.

But he's already said he doesn't want to make easy fixes! Jesus, get off your computer skillz high horse and make some advice you can actually KNOW about. Elitist nerd.

That's all I have for now. Despite some obvious faults in the hack, I personally think it looks promising. Keep up the good work.

Despite some obvious faults in your consistency, I personally think you look promising. Which may have been a lie. You should step back and take a good strong look at this thread. Preferably while sober.

Jeez, this topic feels like argument central.

I'm just going to stay out of that and keep working on my game. :P

Regardless, I'm here mostly to discuss a little update.

After losing my text events just before backing them up -___-

I re-did the events for the Prologue and Chapter 2. I also re-did the Prologue Map to look less blocky.

Chapter 1 events are fine as of now, I've played threw it a good 3-4 times making sure there aren't any issues so I'm leaving them be for the time being, probably going to re-vamp them eventually.

For now I wanted to get started on Chapter 3 of which the map isn't working

wtfiac.png

I found different hex's for each the map and events and nothing has worked, any suggestions?

I'm hoping to have up to Chapter 5 completed by FEE3.