Fire Emblem - Heart of Steel(Demo-out!)

Fitz24

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Cam

I'm in the process of editing mugs, I just haven't gotten to his yet.

@Astra

He replaced Sonia :O

And haven't done his stats yet, they just made me LOL a bit when I saw them.

@Joe

Yeah lol

D'oh!

Well, I'm trying to insert a Halbredier animation into my hack(TBA's to be specific) but I cannot seem to get it to work. I has been inserted....but when I try and use it the animation doesn't appear. I tried switching the weapon class to lances in nightmare, is there something I'm missing?

• 2 weeks later...

So, there is one thing I still have yet to grasp with event hacking.....and that is tilechanges.....I watched Arch's tutorial twice but I cannot seem to understand what I am doing wrong....

Changes Page

#define TileMap(TCN,X1,X2,L1,L2,TilePointer) "CODE TCN X1 X2 L1; CODE L2 0x00 0x00 0x00; POIN TilePointer"

org 0xC9C9CC+(4*0x0E)

POIN TileChanges

org 0xCE1DB8

TileChanges:

TileMap(0x03,0x0C,0x05,0x01,0x01,0x01,entrancedoor)

CODE $FF

CODE $00

CODE $00

entrancedoor:

CODE 0x0C 0xD0

MESSAGE Map changes end at offset currentOffset

Am I missing something? It is telling me the code match is wrong is what it's telling me. I would like help rather quickly....thank you. FEE3 is coming tongue.gif

Changes Page

#define TileMap(TCN,X1,X2,L1,L2,TilePointer)

TileChanges:

TileMap(0x03,0x0C,0x05,0x01,0x01,0x01,entrancedoor)

CODE $FF

CODE $00

CODE $00

If you compare, it looks like you've got 1 too many parameters

This is why I manually do all my map changes through hex.

The underlined byte is the byte that the pointer points to. It's the start of what is essentially a list of all the changes the map could possibly undergo during the chapter. Each element of the list consists of 12 bytes in this format:

GGHHJJKK LL000000 PPPPPPPP

In which:

GG = Identification number (as in, the first element of the list is 00, the second is 01, the third is 02, etc.)

HH = Horizontal coordinate of the top lef tile of the part of the map that changes

JJ = Vertical coordinate (note that coordinates are counted from the very top left tile of the map being ( 0, 0 ))

KK = Horizontal size of the part of the map that changes (measured in tiles)

LL = Vertical size

P = Pointer to the tile references of the tiles the defined part of the map needs to be filled with if it changes

The bold-printed bytes are the starting bytes of each element of the list for the chapter 2 map-change-data. As you can see, the list ends with 'FF000000 00000000 00000000'. So should yours.

Offset ---- Data

00CE1D00 -- -------- -------- -------- 80072C0D

00CE1D10 -- B40D280D 30090000 240C0000 300D240D

00CE1D20 -- 000D0001 02000000 0C1DCE08 010D0001

00CE1D30 -- 02000000 101DCE08 02080102 03000000

00CE1D40 -- 141DCE08 FF000000 00000000 00000000

Originally made by Icytoast IIRC.

Hmm, seems like I do. Thanks.

EDIT: Well, now the game itself doesn't play.....wonderful.

Okay, tell us your step by step process of what you did because tilechanges shouldn't be crashing the game.

Edit: Um, the offset you're writing the tilechanges to isn't free space. Put the changes in free space (0xD00000 through 0xE00000)

Edited by Primefusion

Okay, tell us your step by step process of what you did because tilechanges shouldn't be crashing the game.

Edit: Um, the offset you're writing the tilechanges to isn't free space. Put the changes in free space (0xD00000 through 0xE00000)

What free space? At the bottom where it says:

MESSAGE Map changes end at offset currentOffset

org 0xCE1DB8

If I go to this offset on a clean FE7 ROM I get a bunch of data, stuff that shouldn't be overwritten. Put your tilechanges at an address that doesn't have any data (Free space). For FE7 there's a bunch of free space starting at 0xD00000 and ending at 0xE00000.

You're probably getting an error because your tile changes are overwriting other data the game is trying to read.

If I go to this offset on a clean FE7 ROM I get a bunch of data, stuff that shouldn't be overwritten. Put your tilechanges at an address that doesn't have any data (Free space). For FE7 there's a bunch of free space starting at 0xD00000 and ending at 0xE00000.

You're probably getting an error because your tile changes are overwriting other data the game is trying to read.

I changed it and the game just plays a white screen, maybe I screwed it up and can't get it back?

You moved the tile changes to a different offset, but things from the old one might still be overwritten. I would open up a fresh copy of FE7 in a hex editor and compare it to yours at the offending offset.

*wipes sweat of forehead*

Shit, I got it back working. Prime was right, but there was more than one line of hex screwed up. That took awhile. Thanks for the help.

Edited by Fitz24

Well, all good with those damn hex's lol.

However, my FEditor is acting up again...it says it's have an issue processing one or more files streams......

1) WTF does that even mean? :P:

2) What should I do?

It works for other games......but just not my hack....it's weird because it was working perfectly before.

Edited by Fitz24

• 2 weeks later...

Link to the new Patch which includes Chapter 3, and a re-vamped Prologue and Chapter 2.

Patch

And, while I'm here a little information on future events:

I looked at FEE3 and as everyone plainly saw, my hack looked pretty shitty compared to everyone else. No, I won't stop hacking but I would like to put out there that I'm looking for a partner or two to help me with this game. I, myself, can do everything to a moderate basis, but the main theme I found out in FEE3 is that everyone worked with someone else. I was I think the ONLY one person hacker. And, by that, it lowers the quality of my game because I'm rather limited to what I can do.

The interview in FEE3 that made me think had to have been with Arch. He described that if people don't like your hack, don't continue it on that same path and should make a game that pleases the player, not the creator always. The players positive input really keeps me and almost everyone going. I feel like I have the pieces to make a good hack, however, I need someone/something to help me put all the pieces together.

So, in other words, I could use people to work with in my hack.

Link to the new Patch which includes Chapter 3, and a re-vamped Prologue and Chapter 2.

Patch

And, while I'm here a little information on future events:

I looked at FEE3 and as everyone plainly saw, my hack looked pretty shitty compared to everyone else. No, I won't stop hacking but I would like to put out there that I'm looking for a partner or two to help me with this game. I, myself, can do everything to a moderate basis, but the main theme I found out in FEE3 is that everyone worked with someone else. I was I think the ONLY one person hacker. And, by that, it lowers the quality of my game because I'm rather limited to what I can do.

The interview in FEE3 that made me think had to have been with Arch. He described that if people don't like your hack, don't continue it on that same path and should make a game that pleases the player, not the creator always. The players positive input really keeps me and almost everyone going. I feel like I have the pieces to make a good hack, however, I need someone/something to help me put all the pieces together.

So, in other words, I could use people to work with in my hack.

I would've been another 1 person hacker but I procrastinated the shit out of my project.

I could help since I'm pressed for time. I can polish events, playtest, map, etc. etc.