#LookingForANewTitle

Caliban of Sycorax

Its been a long time since I've sprited, and with my hacking going back to town I've decided to go through the archives and pull out what I've got and revamp it.

I'm looking for comments and critiques alike here.

ninoface.png

This is actually not for this particular hack, but it is for my other planned one which will happen probably much, much later. It's Nino, aged about a year from FE7. My first revamp one. I've always debated where Nino's hair would go in the years following FE7 and I went for shorter.

Ninooriginalrevamp.png

The original aged Nino, for comparison.

Spells.png

Weapon icons for Bloodwar--these are the older ones. I plan on fixing most of them up.

William-1.png

Various colors for William. Another old one. The next one will probably much less Matthew-like.

Critiques on color choice and any suggestions for possible colors appreciated!

Davan-1.png

An old Davan concept. Not as old as my Zealot/Ephraim splice. This is closer to what will be in the game, but expect more customing.

Critiques on what should be fixed appreciated!

Sadly that's all for now, more will be coming shortly.

-Archangel

Edited by Laurence Olivier

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alllllright

1st one:

-She has no neck. It's extremely thin, and should be 1-2 pixels wider than it is.

-Her body is also a bit small, even though she's only 15 (Since you said one age older than FE7 Nino).

-The shading on ALL of the custom parts is extremely chunky, and a little bit pillowed. All I can suggest to fix that is to reference (closly) how shading and shaping works for actual GBA sprites, probably from FE7.

-Last thing, is that she looks much older than just the one year it would have been, as you stated.

2nd one:

-The only REAL problems with this are the shading on the neck near the bottom of the neck, and the fact that you're using the FE8 outline on FE7 colors XD It's generally not a good idea to use both FE6/7/8 colors on one sprite Of course, this could be argued, but, for starting out in spriting, it's generally not a good idea

3rd one:

-His body is quite tiny. For the size of his neck and head, his body need to extend out to the right (OPV) a bit more.

-The custom shading on the top of his hair, and on his neck is done quite incorrectly. The hair:

e1f33cc7d9f2653ec8da68a346c21a73.png

Right here, where the root should be, is completely the second shade, and it also quite flat there. Reference some other sprites with the same facial angle, or stick the rest of Euban's hair back on.

-The neck has quite a bit of pillow shading on it. Pillow shading is when you shade as if the lightsource is sitting right between you and the part of the sprite you're shading if you didn't know. Reference some necks of similar size~

And there you go. Happy fixings.

Alllllright

1st one:

-She has no neck. It's extremely thin, and should be 1-2 pixels wider than it is.

-Her body is also a bit small, even though she's only 15 (Since you said one age older than FE7 Nino).

-The shading on ALL of the custom parts is extremely chunky, and a little bit pillowed. All I can suggest to fix that is to reference (closly) how shading and shaping works for actual GBA sprites, probably from FE7.

-Last thing, is that she looks much older than just the one year it would have been, as you stated.

2nd one:

-The only REAL problems with this are the shading on the neck near the bottom of the neck, and the fact that you're using the FE8 outline on FE7 colors XD It's generally not a good idea to use both FE6/7/8 colors on one sprite Of course, this could be argued, but, for starting out in spriting, it's generally not a good idea

3rd one:

-His body is quite tiny. For the size of his neck and head, his body need to extend out to the right (OPV) a bit more.

-The custom shading on the top of his hair, and on his neck is done quite incorrectly. The hair:

e1f33cc7d9f2653ec8da68a346c21a73.png

Right here, where the root should be, is completely the second shade, and it also quite flat there. Reference some other sprites with the same facial angle, or stick the rest of Euban's hair back on.

-The neck has quite a bit of pillow shading on it. Pillow shading is when you shade as if the lightsource is sitting right between you and the part of the sprite you're shading if you didn't know. Reference some necks of similar size~

And there you go. Happy fixings.

Thanks for the Nino critiques, I'm going to put that one on the back burner to work on Bloodwar mugs.

Using your critiques I did some fixing on Davan and William:

DavanRevamp.png

I fixed the hair, lowered his left shoulder, and added a bit of an undershirt because I thought there was too much neck for the clothes he was wearing. The neck shading still bothers me a bit but it's not as painfully pillowed as before hopefully. The issue is the 16 color limit--I'd love to add a third shade on the collar.

WilliamRevalp.png

I fixed the shading on William's neck and also fixed up his eyes. Before they bugged me but they're much cleaner and more consistent. They also have shading!

I also upgraded the pallettes, and now only FE8/custom colors are present.

Bro, you ruined the shading on Davan's cloak. Put it back D:

Custom colors is also not a good idea for someone of your level, since they look a bit meh :E

I'd suggest sticking to FE8's colors for a while.

Edited by seph1212

While I don't consider myself fully amateur I don't consider myself to be an expert, but I do know how to work with custom colors--I do agree with the shading on Davan, however.

Anyway, I fixed up William a bit. I lightened the lightest hair shade and worked around with the shirt. I also added a small bit of hair next to his left ear. Also, the shading on the jewels is fixed up as well.

WilliamRevalp-1.png

Don't use that much of the outline color to outline trim. It makes it look thick, too dark, and blocky. using the 5th skin shade is fine for outlining trim when it's against a color like on William's clothing. I don't know what gave you the idea to use the outline color like that, but it's a bad idea, and I think you should change it back :E

The shading that was prevalent on the shirt before was also better than what you've changed it too :<

Edited by seph1212

Spells.png

Just one comment I have, those tomes look awfully dull. Like, they don't have any really flashy colors to make them stand out.

Also, you seem to have a habit of using the same design but with extra modifications.

Chart-2.png

Take at look at these, from my own gallery. You see how mine use many bright colors, and use varying designs? Try doing something like that.

Actually Cam, I have to disagree completely, I think the tomes themselves look fine, I actually like them a lot. The only boring looking one IMO is E level dark, which is allowed to be boring :/

And William's neck seems a bit thin...

It's less that the tomes seem boring, but more of the similarity of the designs themselves. Like, all of his thunder tomes have a lighting bolt, all of his light tomes have some form of like, that shine/cross thingy...

And I still think they all look too uniform.

I personally like the tomes a lot. The hierarchy is something I like from the FE4/5/9/10 tomes, so I have no complaints with it. Mugs I'll leave alone because I'm not any good at them myself and can only point out things that have already been said.

Chart-2.png

Problem being that a few of them beg a question: namely, what the hell is Light, Anima, and Dark. A bunch could be a variety of combinations of the 3.

Edited by Reinfleche

• 3 weeks later...

WilliamRevalp-3.png

Minor revisions to William, neck is a bit expanded and hair's got some minor things.

craig.png

And next face sprite, Craig. The hair's basically fullcustom, I know it's not pretty at the moment, it's based on my actual hair which is usually kept in a fauxhawk. Body will be less Karel-like.

• 2 weeks later...

I updated Nino.

ninoface-1.png

First off, this is clearly over the color limit, I wasn't going for colors here. There's 18 including the background. I could have made it 16 easily by killing a shade on the cloak (which is borrowed from Ray, symbolism!) but I figured this isn't designed for a hack so I just went for it. The hair got a lot of rehauling.

Needless to say, that was the issue I had with her left/our right side of the hair. Too much first shade in my opinion.

That's the problem you've had with the entire hair, especially on the right (OPV) side.

Hair is supposed to be strands. Where there's normally a large chunk of empty space, most sprites put in the hair roots, right where you should have them on the right (OPV) side.

For hair like this I suggest referencing Ursula Or, heck, splice it in, because I don't think you should be FCing this early into spriting. It's not a good idea.

Her neck is also ridiculously long, and the shading all over the body is pillowed :E

Edited by seph1212