#LookingForANewTitle

Caliban of Sycorax

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my laptop committed suicide and I lost everything including the Haar I was working on. Oh, well--

But I did work on some FE5-styled facesprites. The first is an FE5 styled version of myself, the second is an FE5 version of FE10!Jill.

FE5.png

Isabel.png

Since you seem to be lacking in critics, the (I'm guessing) custom breast plate and shirt don't look good. I would find a replacement you can splice on, costuming takes a bit of skill.

Kane.png

Pretty much ditto for this one. The shading is really off. I like the goatee tho.

Referencing mugs with similar elements for shading is always helpful.

and I like the FE5 mugs and weapon icons.

Edited by deranger

Looking through your work, it seems you have some problems with banding, and some of your anti-aliasing could stand to be improved (a few of these problems could be taken out at the same time). There are also a few cases of pillow-shading here and there.

ANTI-ALIASING (aka AA)- It's a technique where you place mid-tone pixels in strategical places to make the line smoother.

Anti-aliasing.jpg

In this case, the black line is anti-aliased by gray pixels placed on the 'corners' because the background is white (white+black=gray). If the line was red, then the gray dots should be changed to light pink to properly anti-aliase it.

Keep in mind that that image example was generated with Photoshop, so there's a lot of midtone pixels aliasing it. In spriting, obviously you'll want to use a less extreme AA. Only place them in jagged places; if the line is already smooth without AA, there's no need to do it.

BANDING- It's a flawed technique where you shade following the outline's shape. Avoid doing it, as they are ugly and don't convey depth. usually, is performed under the false ilusion of an overdone "anti-aliasing".

spelunky4.png

PILLOWSHADING- It's a common mistake among first-timers. It's when all the sprite's sides are shaded, leaving the middle light. This is bad because it shows no depth and it's an eyesore. We can say that pillowshading is banding all the sprite.

pillowshading.gif

The first circle is pillowshaded. Notice that it lacks a defined lightsource. The second one, however, defines its lightsource (the sun) at the top-right corner of the screen, and the shadow is placed logically.

Reference

The collar's still not perfect, reference 30 year old hector (there are a lot of others, I just found this one first). And find armor that fits whatever you want her to be, and is facing the right direction you can try allowing her head to be turned a little from straight forward if you want to use a more forward facing body as long as you transition it well Also, the colors don't look like they're all from the same game.

The color thing is mostly because I'm using custom colors except for outline and skin.

Isabel-2.png

I updated the collar and made it another armor piece instead (referencing Syrene) and fixed the hair and mouth. Also a lot of color changes.

Here's a new project that took me a few hours:

NatashaOfficialArtSpriteized.png

I took Natasha's official art and shrunk it to the size of her face sprite and reshaded it as if it were a facesprite using her colors. I know it's not perfect, there's a lot of the third cloak shade going on, but I am impressed with it so far.

I'd love comments on how to fix the cloak's shading. I referenced the art and her facesprite for a start but it was tough working with only three colors.

It's still too small.

No matter what the point was, it's NOT the same size as her face sprite, and is too small, even if it looks like her official art. Heads are supposed to be 48 pixels tall, at least. This head is not, and the rest of the body is too small as well.

It's still too small.

No matter what the point was, it's NOT the same size as her face sprite, and is too small, even if it looks like her official art. Heads are supposed to be 48 pixels tall, at least. This head is not, and the rest of the body is too small as well.

My next plan is to resize it, then reshade as necessary. For now I've got a new splice.

Donovan.png

Donovan, a splice between Artur, Innes, Oswin, and Lloyd.

Jeanne-1.pngJeanne.pngJeanneRedux.png

Newest->Older->Oldest

As you can tell this is much more based on the oldest one which was one of my most ambitious splices: Idoun, Eleanora, Eirika, Igrene, and I think there were a few others thrown in for the hair. The newest one is the same except the body which is Percival's shrunken-down a bit.

Peter-1.pngPeter.png

New->Old

One of my cleaner old splices, I removed the scar (it was too symmetric and clean and didn't really fit the character) and updated the colors. Not too many changes here.

Gross custom colors are gross, as are oversaturated colors.

Sonja-1.png

I know there's still flaws, especially with the hair, but I hope the colors are a bit better.

Carla-1.png

Farina's hair sucks. So now it's not Farina's hair. Idoun's 6 hair shades still suck, but I got it to three.

SpliceContest32.png

Thrown together for contest #32, I know I can do better. I think my color choices are getting better.

The armor on the top one looks really out of place, the rest are good.

BTW

There's on problem with the Brunya mug you let me put in my hack, the frames don't lie up properly...You said that it worked in your hack so did you send me the latest version?

I'll take a look at it later.

For now...

EirikaReclasses.png

Eirika Reclasses. Swordmaster, Pegasus Knight, and Dancer.

EDIT.

I figured out the problem. My frames were off.

Brunya.png

It was a matter of re-doing them properly. This SHOULD work. If you need to move Brunya's facesprite around to fit properly you may do so, and if you need to add/cut pixels to the bottom you may also do so.

Edited by Gaius Julius Caesar