Loz OoT Fanfic: The Uncounted Princess

Inactive Account

Wow. Forgot I actually wrote this. Anyway...

Chapter One: Secrets

In the wastes devoid of light and life...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mystery. That was the only word that could describe the next morning. Marlin had woken up a little after sunrise. He had packed his things the night before, so he had enough time to get a small breakfast before Renning approached him. Renning showed Marlin where to put his bag and made sure the horses were well fed before the trip. To Marlin's surprise Bastian actually arrived on time, and after a few brief words with Renning, boarded the carriage. Marlin had to ask where they were going but got no reply. Renning simply told him to get on board and took the reigns of the horses.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If mystery would describe the morning, then silence would describe the trip. Neither Renning nor Bastian would make a sound throughout the whole trip. Marlin began to grow nervous with each second. The scenery had changed drastically from the city area of the capital Melior and was now a more rural, natural setting. One that seemed perfect for hiding a body. No, no they wouldn't do that, Marlin thought, then again they did seem to be talking about something important last night, maybe this is it! I was asking questions so they're gonna kill me and bury me out here where no one can find me. Marlin's thoughts were interrupted by the carriage's sudden stop. "We've arrived, Marlin." Renning and Bastian left the carriage and began to unload. Marlin took this chance to survey the land for any good escape routes. All he saw were near endless plains and a small house. There appeared to be a ranch with a few horses in the back. If anything, I can take one of those horses and escape, Marlin thought while surveying the land, but was shaken out of thought by Bastian, "Are you still awestruck by this place, my young pupil? I admit it has a quaint charm to it, but I can assure you that the inside is just as charming." Marlin walked in after his master without much more that a "yes."

The inside of the house seemed very plain compared to the manor Renning lived in. Its design was modest and there were few servants walking about, bowing to greet Renning and Bastian. "What is this place?" Marlin looked up at Renning as he scanned the interior more. Renning smiled down at the boy and explained, "This place is sort of a private home of mine where I go when I just need to get away. It also has a very special occupant."

"Who?"

"You'll find out soon. In fact..." Renning stopped as they made their way to the back of the house, where the saw a green haired girl around Marlin's age hanging clothes out on a line. The girl turned at the three and grew a smile as bright as her brownish-red eyes.

"Who is she?" Marlin continued to stared at the girl. There was something about her that seemed...different. She wore a modest red dress and looked like any commoner, but there was something about her that set her apart from the rest. Before he could find a reason, the girl ran forward and lunged towards Renning, enveloping him in a hug. "Uncle Renning!" the girl shouted as she buried her face in his stomach, "It's so good to see you again!"

"Uncle? What does she mean?"

"She means she's my niece," Renning smiled as the girl released him.

"But that's impossible," Marlin couldn't believe what he was hearing, "Your only sibling is King Ramon, so for her to be your niece she'd have to be the king's daughter. That means she'd have to be..." The stares of Renning and the girl coupled with Bastian's snickering was all the reassurance that Marlin needed, "No...way."

"Ahem. My name is Elincia Riddell Crimea. It is a pleasure to meet you." The girl bowed politely, acting unfazed by Marlin's confused questioning glare, What the hell is going on here?

Yeah. Pretty short, but that's all I had planned for this chapter. I'm sorry if it seems slow but things will pick up at the latest the chapter after next. Anyway, till next time.

Edited by Branded_Blade

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOT DEAD YET!

Long chapter alert.

Ch.10

Kaira stayed sulking in the stables with Rhiannon and the melancholy cow until she started to get hungry again. She decided to buy some food rather than putting up with the teasing boy again. She explored the main street of Kakariko until she came upon some food stalls. She stopped at one to buy some bread and bought enough for her dinner as well as lunch. The shopkeeper eyed her suspiciously when she passed over a red rupee and asked for change. “Now how would a scruffy urchin like you come to be having a big rupee like that? I doubt you came across it honestly,” the woman said. “I don’t deal with thieves.”

“No, it really is mine,” Kaira insisted. “I didn’t steal it!”

“I don’t think so,” the shopkeeper said. “Guard!” she called, and one of the soldiers stationed on the street came over. “I’ve caught a thief!”

“I’m not a thief!” Kaira protested.

“Really,” drawled the soldier. “You got any proof?”

“The little whelp might even be Gerudo, with his red hair,” said the shopkeeper, pointing to the shock of it sticking out the front of Kaira’s cap, though she didn’t see the rest, tucked securely under the cap,. “All that lot are thieves.”

“I can prove I’m not a thief!” Kaira told them, and stuck out her royal messenger’s ring as proof. “It’s my money I’m using- rightfully mine!”

“Stealing articles from the royal guard, too?” noted the soldier. “Right then, it’s off to the jail with you.” Before Kaira could react he had grabbed her wrist and was dragging her down the street.

“I’ll not be manhandled by common soldiers!” said Kaira in outraged tones, slipping into noble speech. “Unhand me, before I report you!”

“Where’d you learn the noble accent?” inquired the soldier interestedly, not letting go as Kaira struggled and chopped at his arm with her other hand. “None of the other little pickpockets have ever tried that.”

“I’m not some common street urchin!” Kaira shouted. “Unhand me!”

“Easy, kid. You’ll get your trial, next time Impa’s in. She’s a fair judge.”

“I’ll have no trial, but you’ll rue arresting me when Impa returns! She knows me, and that I am no thief!”

“They all say they know Impa. Come on.” He pulled Kaira by the arm down another street.

“Sir! Sir! Where are you taking my cousin?” a familiar voice called. It was the black-haired boy, and the soldier seemed to recognize him.

“This kid, your cousin, Cris? I thought he was a thief- he had too much money, for a kid, see.”

“No, sir, that’s really his. He’s my cousin- Rikk. He earned it from Impa, like me.”

“He also had a royal messenger’s ring. That had to be stolen.”

“No, sir, he used to be a messenger.”

“I see,” replied the soldier, releasing Kaira’s arm. “Why didn’t you tell me you were Cris’s cousin?”

“Because you weren’t believing anything else I said,” retorted Kaira crossly. “I’ll have my bread back.”

“Oh—right.” The soldier handed back Kaira’s bread and went off, leaving Cris to talk to Kaira.

“First rule of the real world- only use money that fits your appearance,” Cris informed her as they started to walk back to the house. “Use more than you look like you should have, they’ll think you’re stealing.”

“It wasn’t like that when I snuck into Castle Town,” Kaira grumbled, rubbing her wrist where it had been grabbed.

“The shopkeepers there aren’t as choosy, also they probably realized you were really a noble,” Cris explained. “Here, you need to be careful. And watch it with the noble accent, they’ll think you’re up to something.”

Kaira decided a topic change was in order. “Whatever. So you’re Cris?”

“Yep. What’s your name, anyway? ‘Cos I doubt it’s Rikk, seeing as you’re really a girl, and a princess at that.”

“Keep it down! I’m Kaira, if you must know.” They had reached the house; Kaira yanked the door open and kicked off her boots once inside.

“About that. If you don’t want to hide your gender all the time, you should probably start wearing dresses.”

“No! Why can’t I wear breeches? Impa doesn’t wear dresses!”

“Yes, but most of the town considers it scandalous for any other female not to wear a skirt, save maybe Gerudo and they’re near mythical.”

Kaira tossed her cap into a corner. “Too bad. Once I start helping defend the town, they won’t have reason to mock me.”

“Defend the town? From what?”

“Didn’t I tell you Ganondorf’s invaded the castle? D’you think he’ll be content with just that? Of course he’s going to send forces to try taking Kakariko, though I doubt he’ll come himself. It’s going to be a few years until… never mind about that, but we’re going to have to hold the town safe for seven years. When Impa comes back she’ll help.”

“And you’re saying you actually know how to fight?” Cris was dubious. Kaira took her eyes off of her lunch for just enough time to flick a magical fireball just over his head, singing his hair a tiny bit. “I g-guess you are,” Cris said weakly.

“I can also use a sword. And I know some Sheikah skills, from Impa.” Having said this, Kaira took a huge bite of bread.

“I know some fighting too,” said Cris, recovering. “Archery, some hand-to-hand, daggers.”

“Good,” replied Kaira, swallowing. “You can help, then.” As she said this, she and Cris became aware of panicked shouting outside. “Speak of the… I think there’s a raid happening!” Kaira exclaimed, running out the door towards the stables.

“You’re seriously going to fight now? You’re mental! We’re only twelve!” But Cris, for all his apparent doubt, was slinging a quiver over his shoulder and stringing his bow.

“Of course I’ll fight!” Kaira fastened the girth on Rhiannon’s saddle and buckled on her sword belt. Grabbing the saddle, she swung up onto the horse. Cris ran after her as she shot out the barn door, notching an arrow as he went to see what the trouble was.

No comments for prev chapter :(

Oh well, here's the next one.

Ch.11

Kaira galloped down Kakariko's streets, drawing her short sword- it was pointless to bring the Defender's Sword when she was too small to swing it. She saw the source of the alarm- a troop of Stalchildren, Mad Deku scrubs and even a few Skulltulas attacking the main gate. "And that was only the beginning," she muttered as she neared the chaos. Soldiers, softened by times of peace, stabbed clumsily at the weak monsters. Some of the townsfolk shrieked, others just moved away, others kicked or hit the monsters with brooms or pitchforks. Evacuees from Castle Town fled from the gate towards their new homes. Kaira sent a gust of green-glowing magical wind at a nearby Stalchild, scattering its bones, and slashed at another with her sword. Since all of the attackers were small, she leapt down from Rhiannon's back to continue fighting on foot. Rhiannon, not a skittish horse, continued to fight her own way- stomping on Skulltulas that crawled too near, rearing up and striking at Stalchildren and scrubs with her front hooves, coming down and kicking out in back. Kaira slashed and stabbed at the monsters, occasionally attacking with magical wind or fire. Cris brought down Mad Scrubs and Skulltulas with his bow, rarely missing. The soldiers grew more confident with their lances. Soon the last of the creatures fled without really damaging the town.

It was plain that the raid had not been in earnest, Kaira knew, but most of the townspeople and soldiers did not- they were celebrating as though the war was won. Finding Rhiannon, she climbed up into the saddle for a better view. There were a great many dead monsters, their bodies already crumbling into nothing as the remains of magically summoned fiends always did. There were no severe injuries among the people, just bruises and scratches. Kaira looked around for some sort of platform to elevate her above the chaos and found it- a small outdoor stage a little ways down the street where a play had been occurring before the attack. Kaira directed Rhiannon onto the stage and shouted for attention.

"People of Kakariko!" she called, but her voice trailed off lamely over all the noise. Rhiannon rose up onto her hind legs, forelegs pummeling the air as Kaira shot magical sparks up into the air and tried again. "People of Kakariko, listen to me!" People nearby noticed and passed it on to their neighbors, and soon a good amount of the town had quieted down to listen to the crazy girl on the horse. Kaira started to with as much skill as she could muster.

"You all saw the raid that just happened. It's not a freak occurrence. There's going to be more to come." People muttered a bit, but were quieted by another ripple of magical fire around Kaira.

"Castle Town has been invaded by Ganondorf; you've got to have noticed all the refugees. He's taken the castle and the royal family are missing."

"So what do we care? It's just nobles, don't matter who the king ends up being, it don't affect us," a skeptical voice called out. There were a few murmurs of agreement.

"D'you think he's going to be content with just Castle Town? Ganondorf wants all of Hyrule, and that includes this village. He'll strike again here, with stronger forces this time. This isn't just having a different ruler- Ganondorf will burn this village to the ground if we let him."

A refugee spoke up. "The lass up there is right. Castle Town's had a torch thrown to it, and worse. There en't nothing left. The beasties stormed it righ' after we got out. Gone up in smoke, it has." This brought nervous muttering.

"I can't make you all fight. Flee if you want. But if Kakariko falls, the rest of Hyrule will surely follow." Kaira was glad she wasn't on foot; her voice did not waver, but her legs were so unsteady that they would have buckled had she been standing on them. She had a newfound respect for those who regularly spoke to crowds.

"So what do you propose we do, then?" spoke up another villager. "I don't plan on leaving anytime soon, but I can't fight neither."

"You can learn," Kaira told the crowd as a whole. "You can learn to use staffs, spears, or bows. Any training at all is better than none."

"Why should we believe this kid, anyway? Who does she think she is?" somebody yelled. Kaira was about yell back when someone behind her spoke.

"She is a student of mine, and that is reason enough to believe her," said the familiar voice. Kaira's head whipped around. It was Impa.

"This child has my confidence," Impa told the crowd. "Archery and staff classes will begin within the week, run by the town guards and myself. You may leave if you wish, but the rest of us will stay and fight."

Coming from Impa, the people accepted the reality of the threat. They soon dispersed, back to their lives.

Edited by Kiryn