Event Assembler Questions Thread

CT075

Why are you writing to CAwhatever, out of curiosity? You should always, always, ALWAYS try to write into empty space. I'll be darned if that's not what's causing the tact screen to fuck up.

Try inserting to d80000 or da0000 and try again.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as the tile change is placed on the correct coordinate, the first Macro Chest(Item,XX,YY) should work.

For example:

In my event file:
Location_events:
Chest(Elixir,04,17)
LOCA

In my Tile Change File:

TileChanges:
TileMap(0x13,0x04,0x11,0x01,0x01,Chest)
CODE $FF
CODE $00
CODE $00

Chest:
CODE 0x04 0x00
CODE $00

Remember, the tile changes are in hex.

@Cam(or whoever can answer this): I checked D80000, there's a bunch of FF's and 00's. I know I read something before, but refresh me, does that indicate empty space? And why is my last offset always 00FFFFF0 everytime now?

@Astra: Looks like you saved yourself from another PM.laugh.gif

Back-ups

also, why are you inserting at 0xCA0720, that is not good, do not just insert over the old events randomly unless you know exactly what you're doing and have this all planned out. You should insert to free space to be safe.

Seconding what Krad said. Also, check the tactician text slots, maybe you edited them, or worse, you edited the ASM. If it's not the text and it's related to the tact select screen then I'm guessing you screwed up the ASM, in which case you can use a hex editor and a back-up to copy the first MB of the working ROM (from the beginning to 0x100000) and paste it over the non-working one. If THAT doesn't work, it's somehow event related, meaning you have to keep on working on fixing those events up until they work.

Alright, I have a feeling i'm just not setting something up right in nightmare. When I inserted a lone map over the prologue map, it worked fine. when I inserted new events over chapter 11 events, it worked fine. What i'm doing now is more complicated. I need to go from a sub-map, to the playing map, with custom events, all in one. I'm at a loss, and it looks like some of you guys are too, and that's not too encouraging.sad.gif

If you go into the Chapter Data Editor, you should notice that every chapter has a 0x__ number next to it. This is what you're looking for.

23ruadc.jpg

You see the red arrow? You change that to whatever map you need to use.

and it looks like some of you guys are too, and that's not too encouraging

We have limited information and are trying to make the best out of it... Personally, I will admit I AM at a loss, only because I don't know how to help you, only because I'm not sure what the problem in its entirety is. :\

Think I found it. For the example that Cam posted, LOMA should be the pointer that the arrow is pointing to, not the pointer in the red circle. If that's not it, I think at this point i'm just gonna ditch my original chapter idea and go with something else. Only thing is it'll suck when I do need to have multiple chapters in one map.

I didn't do LOMA 0x04 at first, and neither worked. That's what has me a little confused. I thought either Cam had said or I read somewhere that it should be the number Cam has circled, but it's not working either way.

I'm going to do my usual and test everything individually, just to see if it works, even though it probably is something with my events. I wonder if disabling the tutorials would have done it? Worst case scenario I might just have to use the tutorial somehow.

Think I found it. For the example that Cam posted, LOMA should be the pointer that the arrow is pointing to, not the pointer in the red circle. If that's not it, I think at this point i'm just gonna ditch my original chapter idea and go with something else. Only thing is it'll suck when I do need to have multiple chapters in one map.

No, you are not supposed to do that.

The number you want is the one in the red circle. You're supposed to CHANGE the number the arrow is referring to.

So I need some help

Opening_event:

LOU1 Good

ENUN

OOBB //Allies are loaded before map is displayed.

STAL 0x20 //Stalls the game for ___ amount of time.

CMOF //Stops camera from seeing enemy units load.

LOU1 Bad

Text(0817,0x02)

CAM1 [06,05]

ENDA

The text conversation is not working. The screen just goes black and nothing happens.

Also what is the "Map tile changes" under chapter data editor in nightmare?

You're missing an ENUN and a REMA

So it is the number in the red circle I want for LOMA, then. That clears that up. Once again, i'm out of time to do anymore today, but I should have plenty of time tomorrow.

Here's what i've done, so I will hopefully say something that might help.

1. insert maps (duh). pointers are 8D110C0 (playing) and 8D11000 (sub)

2. I point the playing map to take the place of the prologue map, and point the sub-map to take the place of chapter 1's map. (using event pointer reference module).

3. I insert the text, with the file stating to place the events at 0x06, and pointing to D11170, ending at D11425. This for some reason automatically replaces the original event pointer for the prologue, meaning when I go to the event pointer reference module, I don't have to change it, since it already has my offset, including adding 8000000.

4. I go to the chapter data editor module, and set-up the prologue with my tileset, set it so it uses the prologue map and events, and i'm sure i've done that right.

From there, i'm not sure what i do with the fact that the sub-map is set as chapter 1's map. Maybe that's what i'm doing wrong. Hopefully, this gets us somewhere farther than we are now. I'm worried that my step 3 is what is causing a problem.

Alright, I inserted the events without the maps or changing anything, and it worked. Might still be a problem with how I have it set-up, but if that were the case, I think it would probably still mess up. So, i'm going to insert the maps next, without changing anything, and see what happens.

Any chance a map might be causing the problem?

Tangy can flail me later for a triple post, because......

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!NewYearsEmoticon.gif

It's my text. I don't know how that works, but I inserted it, and it went haywire. I inserted the maps over the existing maps against everyone's suggestions just to test it. That wasn't the problem.

I never edited the text, so is there something that should be in my code, or should I drop the disable tutorial pointer? At least I know it's not my events, cuz I inserted the events first to see if they'd work, and for the most part, they did. Now we know where the real problem lies.

The Event Assembler template includes a code that does the repointing for you, assuming that you give it an offset and event reference hex (in your case, 0x06, offset 0xD11170, which is a 'weird' offset, as in, it's not easy to remember and just isn't hacker-friendly).