Event Assembler Questions Thread

CT075

Why are you using dump-reinsert again? FEditor is so much less likely to fuck something up it's not even funny.

That, and Arch is busy. You can't expect everyone to have as much free time as you. >_>

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I tried simply editing within FEditor, it wouldn't change my text, and instead would glitch and change the very first pointer (the yes you see when you first load it up). I think it still changed the text anyway, but it was so long ago, I don't remember.

Dumping just seemed easier so I could seperate, edit a ton of text, and then re-insert, without having to search for whatever text I want to edit. Although, that might just be what I have to do, since it doesn't mess up until I insert.

Arch really can't just say he's too busy ATM?

I think that was a bug, it got fixed. Dumping/reinserting can have so many things go wrong it's not even funny.

Too busy as in, he hasn't even logged on. What, you expect the guy to reply to your PM with his MIND?

Edited by Camtech075

When I tried simply editing within FEditor, it wouldn't change my text, and instead would glitch and change the very first pointer (the yes you see when you first load it up). I think it still changed the text anyway, but it was so long ago, I don't remember.

Did you click Apply then CTRL+S.

Either way, try again.

Edited by AstraLunaSol

I personally use the individual text entry editor and I'm doing that for all my hacks and it hasn't hurt me yet. First of all it's beneficial to just write scripts down in notepad files so if it doesn't save, you can just copy it back into FEditor Adv and try again. Second of all, as Camtech said, the dump/insert future is a little... touchy, so don't use it if you don't have to.

Also make sure you save with FEditor Adv constantly because of uh... well, just do it. >_>

@Arch first of all, wasn't it Camtech who started this topic?

And also, it is a bit much to expect people to help you with their problems, i.e. they can if they want to but they don't have any obligation to, so meh.

I would also make sure your FEditor Adv and EA are the latest version. Also, if you're using GBAGE, hold off on that. Furthermore, have you REALLY been using a clean ROM for all of this, I mean, at the start?

Also, what text are you trying to insert that it fucks up the game? Maybe it's the text itself.

It's also possible you screwed up some ASM at some point. Try using a working back-up if you have one and copying the first MB of data from that ROM to your current ROM, saving with FEditor Adv, closing, reloading, and trying again. Else, try saving with FEditor Adv over a copy of a clean ROM (if you don't have a working back-up) and copy that ROM's 1st MB (0x1000000 bytes in case you didn't know) using a hex editor over your screwed ROM.

Btw, I'm just throwing out ideas, I don't even have a real understanding of the problem, so back-up your stuff and don't hold me to anything. XD

I made a video showing that I am using a clean ROM. I'm assuming FEshrine has the latest versions as of about a month ago, if not, it probably has them now, but i'm sure you'll let me know when you see this. ATM, I just tried again on a fresh ROM, so I have no clue because i've gotten text to work before.

I will try simply editing, or copy/pasting from my text file, because inserting most likely is being stupid. Also, ALS, I always click apply and then save, even when inserting. Just using FEditor sounds like it would solve the problem. We'll see soon.

Like I said in the PM. Inserting the dumped-then edited text file from FEditor is a no-no. It just doesn't work. It just... doesn't. Xeld/Alex/Hex might say some really complex crap about his coding that we won't understand, but the fact is, it screws up ROMS if you use the Dump text function and insert new text that way.

Edited by shadowofchaos

@Cam: Thank you for posting the link so I can check it to mine.

Damn, dumping just seemed so much easier. I'l keep the dumped text so I can find everything easier, as long as copy/pasting from my text file will work (which I think was already stated as being OK).

Thanks guys. This should work, as long as it....well....works.

BTW, if anyone is wondering, I did get the maps to load properly, so that problem is taken care of, thanks to Cam IIRC posting the codes. Fading seems to work now as well.

Edited by Valmanway

Good news: editing the text within FEditor works! Bad news: it won't let me copy/paste. sob.gif

But that's okay, I only have the first chapter written up anyway. I just wanted to report that everything seems to be coming together finally. Oh, and to thank you guys, of course.wink.gif Even though i'm aware that I can be quite annoying, and I get pissed kinda easily, i'm happy that you all were still willing to help me out, and because of it, this hack may finally get going somewhere.

FINAL EDIT: DERP!!!laugh.gif *stole cams line* It was the way I was writing the text the entire time! It was too long, for one, and I had too many Open pointers for text. I think I really finally fixed the problem. Or, well, we all did in some way.

Edited by Valmanway

Who said I was done!! I have 2 small issues left, but it's different this time, because I have a working, complete chapter that only needs these things resolved (I can't argue tile changes because I haven't tried them yet). Let's finish up the last of my problems!

1. Units won't disappear when I tell them to. I was told to use DISA, but it doesn't seem to be working. It works for Eliwood, but I think that's just because he's loaded into the next part of the opening event.

2. While not really an issue (yet), I want to solve this now. If Eliwood becomes level 3 by the end of chapter 1, how do you load him into the next chapter with his level and equipment intact? (goes for all units I suppose).

Well, this is it. Solve #1 and i'll finally have a full working chapter (minus a tile change). Solve #2, and I just might have a patch soon.wink.gif

1. Units won't disappear when I tell them to. I was told to use DISA, but it doesn't seem to be working. It works for Eliwood, but I think that's just because he's loaded into the next part of the opening event.

We need the event code to know where you're messing up, since the DISA command should work

2. While not really an issue (yet), I want to solve this now. If Eliwood becomes level 3 by the end of chapter 1, how do you load him into the next chapter with his level and equipment intact? (goes for all units I suppose).

There's nothing special about this, just load him normally. Say, if you loaded this unit in C1:

UNIT Canas Shaman Bug Level(12,Ally,False) [XX,YY] [XX,YY] [Flux] [0x06,0x03,0x09,0x20]

Then for the next chaper you just add it to the event code exactly like that, changing the coordinates if needed. The level and weapon uses are stored by the game and don't need to be specified again.

Hopefully this is enough:

Opening_event:

LOMA 0x0D [0,0]

LOU1 Good

ENUN

CAM1 Eliwood

FADI 0x0A

BACG 0x1B

FADU 0x0A

TEX1 0x0801

REMA

LOU1 Help

ENUN

FADI 0x0A

BACG 0x1B

FADU 0x0A

TEX1 0x0802

REMA

MOVE Matthew [5,10]

DISA Matthew

ENUN

TEX1 0x0803

REMA

MOVE Eliwood [5,0]

DISA Eliwood

ENUN

FADI 0x0A

LOMA 0x0C [0,0]

LOU1 Good2

LOU1 Bad

ENUN

FADU 0x0A

CURF Eliwood

TEX1 0x0804

REMA

CURF [5,7]

MUS1 0x0032

TEX1 0x0805

REMA

CURF Eliwood

TEX1 0x0806

REMA

ENDA

Matthew does move off-screen after he moves (eliwood doesn't, but I think that's because there's not even empty space up there). On the next map, one of the enemies goes after Matthew, who's standing off-screen where I told him to move. If I skip his initial loading, it doesn't do it. I can't access Matthew at all when it happens.

Thanks for pointing out #2. With that, I can at least continue to the next chapter.biggrin.gif

Any time you use a MOVE or a LOU1 code, make SURE to follow it up with an ENUN code RIGHTAWAY. Otherwise, anything you do to the moving units won't work. Meaning, you would put the ENUN before the DISA code, not after.

[spoiler=try this]

Opening_event:
LOMA 0x0D [0,0]
LOU1 Good
ENUN
CAM1 Eliwood
FADI 0x0A
BACG 0x1B
FADU 0x0A
TEX1 0x0801
REMA
LOU1 Help
ENUN
FADI 0x0A
BACG 0x1B
FADU 0x0A
TEX1 0x0802
REMA
MOVE Matthew [5,10]
ENUN //Here
DISA Matthew
TEX1 0x0803
REMA
MOVE Eliwood [5,0]
ENUN //and here
DISA Eliwood
FADI 0x0A
LOMA 0x0C [0,0]
LOU1 Good2
LOU1 Bad
ENUN
FADU 0x0A
CURF Eliwood
TEX1 0x0804
REMA
CURF [5,7]
MUS1 0x0032
TEX1 0x0805
REMA
CURF Eliwood
TEX1 0x0806
REMA
ENDA

Edited by Camtech075

Do you know what ENUN does?

If not, look at this:

IF unit is moving
    Stall for 1 tick (I think)
    Repeat
ELSE (unit is not moving)
    Proceed on

It basically tells the game to wait until there are no more units moving before continuing on. This is to avoid potential screw-ups like the one you just had.

Edited by Camtech075

Coming back to confirm that adding ENUN worked. Also, I think I said this already, but LOMA does work too.

About loading units, does the game also keep track of who you promoted? Like, after I promote eliwood, do I still use Eliwood lord instead of knight lord?

EDIT: ENd UNits?

Edited by Valmanway