FE7x: Immortal Sword - Part One Complete

BwdYeti

It's NCFC 2015 already, and wow, these last couple of years have been insane! Our last big release was at NCFC 2013, where we had planned to release the version we're releasing today. Instead, we gave you 0.4.0.1, a release I was still proud of. We set an incredibly ambitious goal and worked our arses off to mass-produce the content and get it all it working order... and fell way short. But what we ended up with was still huge! Hours of content! A strong demonstration of what the game had to offer, in terms of mechanics and design... And tons of what we had done was still hidden away, waiting to reach a standard fit for implementation.

And there were so many obstacles, too! So many times, the project had to take a backseat to crisis after crisis, to studies and family matters and the like. Heck, I didn't have a working computer for most of 2013, but that was nothing new. We worked when and where we could, and when we became fatigued, we'd blow steam experimenting with new features and concepts for games we might make in the future. So when we got back into it, we were still in form and brimming with new inspiration.

Since then, it's just been more of the same, but in overdrive. The chapters from 7 onwards were so much more complex in terms of gameplay and narrative both, and as it approached the climax it became nearly impossible to track all the moving parts. We had to review the entire game and decide how and when the player would be introduced to these elements to be sure we still had some surprises for the endgame, and to keep the pacing appropriate. I've drafted ten-thousand words of plot synopsis and character notes, and half again as much of theoretical experiments and class balance analysis in these last 24 months alone!

Like I said, it's been nuts. I've improved a dozen times over as an artist and a writer, and Yeti's really growing into the programming mastermind everyone always made him out to be. We've procured a gallery of quality art assets, wrangled the story into some sort of satisfying conclusion for this part of the project, and refined the gameplay to be as engaging and entertaining as we can make it. This bad boy packs some eight chapters, each more dramatic and challenging than the one preceding it. All in all, I'd say it's a resounding success by any measure - of course it's still incomplete, but it's finally in a state where it can stand as an endeavour worth the commitment to it.

Seriously, go play it right now! I have never been so hype for a release, and I promise there's good reason for it. FE7x: Uther Part One is officially in beta! Once we have some feedback, we'll be releasing an update an then diving straight into the next build. Oh, and be sure to have a look at the other NCFC booths and give them your support.

Does the druid have an active or passive "mastery" skill?

try to promote magnus to druid and see for yourself ;o

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try to promote magnus to druid and see for yourself ;o

there is a nontrivial chance I didn't actually get the Druid mastery coded, since actually promoting him isn't easy and I forgot about it

EEWY2X9.png42f9wBK.png

1Xx4W4Z.pngIcKIhW7.png

But yeah demo's up, go try it out!

This is a pre-FEE3 release with some non-essential things missing, but the chapters are fully playable with complete dialogue. This is our first release in close to 2 years, and we've worked hard on finely honing the gameplay and getting the player experience perfect, but we have little outside playtesting data to know if all our decisions are working out, so please leave any and all feedback and help us make FE7x the best it can be!

I haven't done more then just the few maps, but I adore the designs of the younger characters. No one feels weak really either, except maybe Isadora, but she's still a trainee, her str and con are eh, but she still seems to do fine.

Uther is amazing lol, also Eaglers ability reminds me of Micaiah except its partly based off luck. When I booted it up, it asked if info could be transfered for like data and stuff, how does that work exactly? Just based on who is used the most and stuff?

Just being a fan of Elibe and having Tellius stuff like the Greatlances is a treat too, and SKILLS.

Edited by Jedi

So... uh, how the heck has the new version (0.5.0.0) stopped the old (0.4.1.0) from working? My custom configuration settings have jumped from the old to the new, which is fine, but now if I boot up the old one the only button that works is "enter", and trying to get into the trial missions or the options does nothing (and actually crashes the game in the latter case). I saved and unpacked into different folders, with different shortcuts, so I would have thought they remained separate.

...I want the trial maps back...

Actual feedback for the new version to come when I get a chance to play.

Edited by Wayward Winds

Uploaded v0.5.0.1, an update that fixes a few bugs (mostly with Ch7x) and also gives a boss a placeholder face sprite.

So... uh, how the heck has the new version (0.5.0.0) stopped the old (0.4.1.0) from working? My custom configuration settings have jumped from the old to the new, which is fine, but now if I boot up the old one the only button that works is "enter", and trying to get into the trial missions or the options does nothing (and actually crashes the game in the latter case). I saved and unpacked into different folders, with different shortcuts, so I would have thought they remained separate.

...I want the trial maps back...

It could be the config file? MyDocs\SavedGames\FE7x\Save\AllPlayers\config.sav, you can try deleting it and see if that fixes things.

All FE7x save data is stored in one location though, so you can't really go back and forth between and old and new version. The trial maps are still in the new version, they just aren't unlocked from the start.

When I booted it up, it asked if info could be transfered for like data and stuff, how does that work exactly? Just based on who is used the most and stuff?

The game tracks a bunch of simple gameplay data while you play, stuff like where all combat occurs and the average level of your units, and of course your ranking results at the end of the chapter, and then uploads it so I can use the combined data to better balance the game.

Zq4YMEJ.png

f3mQI0c.png

It's pretty awesome '3'

Edited by BwdYeti

The game tracks a bunch of simple gameplay data while you play, stuff like where all combat occurs and the average level of your units, and of course your ranking results at the end of the chapter, and then uploads it so I can use the combined data to better balance the game.

Zq4YMEJ.png

f3mQI0c.png

It's pretty awesome '3'

Whooooa, thats really cool!

It could be the config file? MyDocs\SavedGames\FE7x\Save\AllPlayers\config.sav, you can try deleting it and see if that fixes things.

All FE7x save data is stored in one location though, so you can't really go back and forth between and old and new version. The trial maps are still in the new version, they just aren't unlocked from the start.

Tried it (copied it elsewhere first), didn't restore any functionality or anything. I never finished the third trial map, which is the main reason I griped in the first place, but if it's in the new release somewhere then I'm not too bothered.

Are the trial maps integrated into the main story now, or are they still separate scenarios that you get the option to access later?

Those are points, not actual values lol

100 is par, 150 is the best possible. you get an S rank for combined total of 300 points across the 3 ranks (turns, combat, exp)

So some people took so many turns they would have had negative turns scores if it could go below 0. :Y

Are the trial maps integrated into the main story now, or are they still separate scenarios that you get the option to access later?

they're just unlocked as you progress now, they're still non-canon

Excuse me sir BwdYeti can spend animation:

Scholar

Diviner
Zweihander
Phalanx
Centurion
Squire
Cavalier
Raider
Ruffian
Crossbowman
Arbalest

Longbowman his hack for hack I'm doing for gba the women and men version Please :(: :(: :(:

Excuse me sir BwdYeti can spend animation:

Scholar

Diviner
Zweihander
Phalanx
Centurion
Squire
Cavalier
Raider
Ruffian
Crossbowman
Arbalest

Longbowman his hack for hack I'm doing for gba the women and men version Please :(: :(: :(:

I highly advise not doing this in the future. Most, if not all hackers aren't going to give off their assets to people who just outright ask for them.

Time to add a guideline in the rules thread, lol.

Edited by Uncle Ghatsu!

This may just be me but, maybe you went a little overboard with the amount of horse killing weapons.

Currently on chapter 7x after 3 hours of trying to beat chapter 7 without casualties, it definitely felt like I was surrounded in that chapter, also one thing, could you do something that makes Uther not drunk after a certain amount of turns? I couldn't even use him as a wall.

Game's been great overall so far (Just beat CH9).

One thing I should point out though is that I don't really "get" 7x. Perhaps it's just I have a really really strong hate for narrow map design (where you funnel all of your units through a single corridor) but I killed the boss turn 3 and then the rest of the map wasn't... too engaging. The witches were a very minor annoyance and then you're fighting usually only two enemies at a time. And units like Magnus and Eiry become pretty bad due to the nature of the map also (it's just a long straight path).

Maps like these kinda need close-reaching optional objectives where low movement units can be used -- there's no reason to have 10 deployed units all funnel through the same direction when it's not like all of them will have something to do (within context of map designs like these). The 'Slow' staff seems pretty bad -- very inaccurate and even if it does hit, is annoying at worst. Perhaps it should lower speed/skill or something. And the boss being kill-able on turn 3 seems like something that shouldn't be the case. In fact, I think on turn 3 the boss just didn't move -- so that could just be the issue.

Although on hard mode, it may be different.

I liked CH9 a lot. It's hard to fully rate it on normal mode since it's probably going to be easy regardless of design -- but if hard mode makes the turn count very tight I could see it being great.

And CH7 is a good, challenging defense map. It would benefit though to have a far off optional objective -- like a village on the other side of the map or something (that is destroyed after X turns from a bandit). As an incentive to not completely turtle and sacrifice your defense (to a degree) and be rewarded for it. Of course, there is still an incentive to rush ahead to rout the map faster (for a better grade).

Prologue still seems the hardest to S rank. That said, it has been improved a lot. I like the changes to it.

Edited by DLuna

This may just be me but, maybe you went a little overboard with the amount of horse killing weapons.

Currently on chapter 7x after 3 hours of trying to beat chapter 7 without casualties, it definitely felt like I was surrounded in that chapter, also one thing, could you do something that makes Uther not drunk after a certain amount of turns? I couldn't even use him as a wall.

The drunkeness does wear off after a set amount of turns, I don't remember how many, I think it was around the 7th or 8th turn though.

I find the light brand helps him get to a walling position, and I had Marcus supporting him. Then again my Uther has like 11 def...

The game is cool so far, but uh...

[spoiler=chapter 1 cav]

PQk7IxU.png

Is this 1 str intentional?

PVRBSzK.png

Compared to this guy it looks... kind of terrible.

This is Hard/Classic btw.

I started the game once again and I want to say..Wow. That's a good game! I can't say more, but it's been years since I'm following this game and that's so amazing to see the project is advancing! :D

I love the game so far, but I'm playing chapter 7 on Normal mode at the moment, and I love difficulty in general and plan on doing hard after this, but man I feel this is a slight bit of a spike. Or I just havent really ever had to do a good defense map lol.

Although I may be just a bit salty I lost someone on the last turn basically.

Like the lancer that starts right next to you, is reaaaaallly bulky and its kinda silly when I have to devote 3 units including possibly a drunk Uther to killing him to open my way to wall the west.

I also feel the crossbowmen may be a tad too damaging, but as I said. It might be because i'm not doing this right.

Edited by Jedi

The drunkeness does wear off after a set amount of turns, I don't remember how many, I think it was around the 7th or 8th turn though.

I find the light brand helps him get to a walling position, and I had Marcus supporting him. Then again my Uther has like 11 def...

Uh I spent like 20 turns on that chapter and it never went away.