FE7x: Immortal Sword - Part One Complete

BwdYeti

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The amount of improvement and progress in the last six years in this game is absolutely astounding, everyone working on this project has done an outstanding job!

Might want to fix some of the chapter numbering, it's a bit confusing to some to go from Chapter 2 to 5 and 7 to 9, it makes me think there's a bug of some sort,

Edited by Trueblade

Second reset now on chapter 2/5 (whatever chapter it is, I guess)... Because I forgot about the weapon triangle change. I thought Tony was safe, and then +1 damage on these two pegasuses... :-(

First time was me being stupid and trying to rush too hard on the prologue. :D

Edited by Nintales

The amount of improvement and progress in the last six years in this game is absolutely astounding, everyone working on this project has done an outstanding job!

Might want to fix some of the chapter numbering, it's a bit confusing to some to go from Chapter 2 to 5 and 7 to 9, it makes me think there's a bug of some sort,

We're only playing Uther chapters, so it makes me think that their might be chapters belonging to other characters that fill in those gaps you mention.

The only tweak Id say is that you should even out the enemy units. You have random mega units in there who come out of nowhere with abnormally high stats who can solo half my team

Edited by Lance-a-lot

We're only playing Uther chapters, so it makes me think that their might be chapters belonging to other characters that fill in those gaps you mention.

That is indeed the case.

I've now just finished CH12. Story-wise I enjoyed it a lot. In fact, everything non-gameplay related is great. That much is certain.

I'll provide full feedback once I've played hard mode since I don't think it's a coincidence that I enjoyed the game up to CH7 more compared to the rest of the game. Past that your high mobility units just dominate and the maps don't really feel much different from each other. Start south (or north in the case of 7x) > charge upwards killing enemies along your way > kill boss. I was disappointed in that, but only because the mid section of the game (CH5 to CH7) was really strong (I had so much enjoyment out of those maps). But again, CH7 just so happens to be when hard mode ends currently. So if the later maps have far more nuance to them as a result of hard mode then my thoughts may change.

It's not like it's bad to have one of those maps every once in a while, though. It's just that 7x to CH12 felt very same-y.

I would repeat that CH6 is by far the most interesting map for reasons I've mentioned before (and I'd love to see more of that). It's tight and compact with multiple objectives. High mobility doesn't dominate. And huge incentive to split up your team (this is a big one!). Basically everything I like in a map. And maps I tend to dislike are those where you're just traversing your army from one side of the map to the other with little in-between. And as mentioned, I thought that the second half of the demo mostly amounted to that.

Out of all those though I do predict that CH9 would be fine if it were just more difficult -- which is probably just a normal mode issue. And 7x has an interesting gimmick. But I'll refrain from being completely dead-set on my criticism until I've played hard mode. If CH12!hard ends up having lots of extra enemy pressure, or AI, or just being very smart/sneaky with reinforcements, staves, ballista, enemies chasing you behind, Elbert being hard to protect etc etc... It could well make the map far more interesting and I'll get a lot more enjoyment out of it. But if the map is just the same but with stronger enemy stats then I don't think my thoughts will change too much. Same with 7x or CH11.

Edited by DLuna

I didn't see that Zambato on the jerk, and put Hassar. RIP.

Chapter 5 is really well-made. :D

The enemies are really strong, and you have to team up most of the times to kill a single of them, even Eagler can't ORKO.

I love it. =D

Maaaaaan it was hard but 5's over!

This chapter is amazing. The weapon distribution is so surprising... And by the way, these Scholars are awful. Not only do they RNG-haxx (dodged a 81% from Marcus), but they hit all my units for 1/2 of their HPs, minus Eagler who is 3HKO'd.

I split my units into Hassar's group top along with Harken and Madelyn, and the rest (Eagler-Uther-PromotedMarcus-Isadora) bot.

Right now, I have S on Prologue and this chapter (surprisingly since I killed all the units, I thought this would affect my combat rating like chapter 2), and A on chapter 2.

Most of my characters minus Madelyn are close to promoting (around lv8 for all minus Isadora lv10, while Madelyn's 4), so I think I'm doing well.

There actually seems to be a lot of thought in hard mode imo. The only enemies Eagler can OHKO/ORKO are the pegasuses if they equip a Greatlance, and the Scholars. Promoted Marcus can ORKO them too.

And maybe it's just me who got lucky with the lv ups (don't really remember them all), but IronLance!Marcus + StlGreatlance!Eagler can kill the mini-boss, which I found very well done.

I love this game. =D

By the way, do you have the growth sheet? Because I'd like to know why in my second run (the one where I reseted due to the Zambato), most of my levels where HP + Lck + Res.

I love the AI too. It's a really intelligent one, attacking the one who can't counter or doing the most damage or going for survival. They won't attack someone who they can't damage even if he's the only one in their range. (unlike FEGBA's AI)

Edited by Nintales

By the way, do you have the growth sheet? Because I'd like to know why in my second run (the one where I reseted due to the Zambato), most of my levels where HP + Lck + Res.

You can infer growths from looking at the status screen; green highlights mean the stat is above average, red means it's below average.

I wanted to end chapter 6 one turn later because I had in mind to feed Harken with some reinforcements so he can get to lv10...

And Uther crits the boss with a 3%. Awesome. =(

(I still got the S rank even with 75 in exp because I got 140+ in combat and turns :D)

So chapter 6 got 8-turned.

Isadora's promoted, and all my trainees minus Eiry and Madelyn are around lv9, which means they're gonna promote soon.

By the way, is it possible to nerf Shine's crit? I could have gotten a reset if the mini-boss decided to crit any of my units. But I guess I should have handled him with Eagler, who I sent bot to kills the ballista.

How does it work, by the way? The countdown doesn't mean it can't be used, as I saw an Archer using it two turns after he launched an arrow on Uther to attack Isadora.

Promoted Trainees are also really powerful. Marcus can ORKO, and Isadora can dodge easily enemy blows.

How does it work, by the way? The countdown doesn't mean it can't be used, as I saw an Archer using it two turns after he launched an arrow on Uther to attack Isadora.

while the number is grey, they can't fire it. It can only be fired once every two turns. And it has 10 shots. That's the "countdown", the remaining ammo. So long as the counter is grey, you're free to move into range. One of the houses on the map explains this. Visit houses!

while the number is grey, they can't fire it. It can only be fired once every two turns. And it has 10 shots. That's the "countdown", the remaining ammo. So long as the counter is grey, you're free to move into range. One of the houses on the map explains this. Visit houses!

B-but LTC... =(

I also like that houses give 5 xp, it's quite a thing for the useful tips they give. :D

EDIT : Chapter 7 ended. Was really hard. I managed to promote everyone minus Eiry (lv9), and Harken's a beast. And may the priest who screwed up my turncount by hiding himself in FoW roast in hell.

I love the fact the AI can't cheat in FoW. Makes strategy planning quite easier.

By the way, does Eagler give more xp if defeated in the training?

Edited by Nintales

Still working my way through the release, trying to savour it. I like that the difficulty's scaled way back for normal mode. Really nice for a first(well, not really, but still) play through (I'm not thaaat soft). Anyways,

You guys considered making a post on the fire emblem reddit and the hacking reddit (which seems super dead) about the new release? It'll mean more fans, possibly more donations, and more people asking how to extract a zip and the like, I'm guessing.

I don't think this is necessary since it's easy enough to figure out growths by learning average stats based on the colour of stats at any particular level in the long run.

For example if Uther's STR is yellow with 11 points at level 11, then it means you can work out that his STR growth is 50%.

I think this is really cool, actually. A new unit is a mystery in regards to growths, but in the long run, you can work it out. A lot of the time you might be off by 5% but that's rather insignificant.

It's good when a game gives you some clarity on something that is usually only found outside of the game.

Still working my way through the release, trying to savour it. I like that the difficulty's scaled way back for normal mode. Really nice for a first(well, not really, but still) play through (I'm not thaaat soft).

Yeah, I think it's good to have a difficulty mode for those who are not too skilled at FE and just want to experience the game. But I do wish that hard mode was added for the release.

It makes make me optimistic for it, however. It's clear that the higher difficulties for this game isn't just a lazy "give x stats" to enemies. Otherwise there would be no reason hard mode isn't added yet if it were that simple. So they're obviously something more than that and based on the difficulty level of CH7!Hard, I expect the hard modes of the following maps to also be very challenging, and more than just stat upgrades.

On that topic: would it be plausible to have separate balance for units and map terrain changes based on the difficulty?

For example, if someone like Cybil or Leonard proves too weak in Maniac mode, could their base level/stat be upped a notch (basically, stats that would be too good for normal mode, but enough to keep them functional on maniac)? Even on Normal, Leonard for example has issues dealing damage without an effective weapon. On that note: I do think their 'knife' ability could only have the -3 MT penalty at 2 range. Currently there is rarely any reason for them to fight at 1 range.

Edited by DLuna

I got an instant game over during chapter 11 when I moved uther next to madelyn, no idea why but as soon as I selected 'wait' i got the game over screen

Edited by Lance-a-lot

How do we get the difficulty back to Hard Mode? Because as I finished chapter 7x, I'd like to switch on it. TT

EDIT : Okay we can't, sorry for the question! :D

Edited by Nintales

Just thought I'd toss in a quick bug report: game crashed after Marcus died in the arena in that defend the border chapter.

...Frickin' 2% crits, man.

But yeah, I finished my first playthrough of it a few days ago and really enjoyed it! I thought the difficulty curve on normal was pretty solid. I'd say my only complaint was the frequency of non-zero crit rates, but it's not a huge deal. The maps are very well-designed and offer a lot of variety, although a little on the lengthy side from the get-go in comparison to official FEs.

Finally, the writing is extremely impressive. I haven't gone through all the supports yet, but most of those have been pretty great, and the boss dialogue is fantastic (Isadora vs Ch 7 Cohort is amazing). I've also been amazed by the lack of any sort of grammar/spelling/text box errors, since those are usually pretty common in fangames. Especially fangames with the amount of dialogue in this.

Oh, and I gave y'all a shoutout on reddit a couple days ago here: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/3iqtle/new_release_of_fe7x_immortal_sword/

Hope you don't mind, and I'm sure the community would be open to a full-blown announcement/showcase about it if you wanted to. There's been a couple things about it hit the front page of the sub already but you might still get some more publicity from it, idk. Just wanted to throw all that out there!

And to wrap up this somewhat lengthy post, a huge thank you the BwdYeti, Myke, and everyone else involved with this project; again, y'all have done a fantastic job.

I got an instant game over during chapter 11 when I moved uther next to madelyn, no idea why but as soon as I selected 'wait' i got the game over screen

My game crashed when making Uther wait next to Darin.

Just thought I'd toss in a quick bug report: game crashed after Marcus died in the arena in that defend the border chapter.

I guess if any of you still have the suspend files from any of those then upload them for me and I can take a look. Same to anyone with crash bugs

I'm still working on the OSX version, one major graphical bug to work out

ja5P1ef.png

So hey I finally got FE7x running stably on OSX, wow! Everything looks like it's running fine, so if you're on a Mac try it out, and if any problems come up let me know about them.

7CnBVuw.pngXyE6emw.png

Also this! Starting from this release, whenever a new version of FE7x comes out the game will let you know at the main menu. maybe some day you'll be able to click the link and go straight to the site, or update the game without even opening a web browser, but today is not that day

But for now you'll have to download v0.5.0.3 the old fashioned way ~' 3'~

And as always there's also your standard bugfixes and such, if you've had any problems with the previous release.

May I ask if there's any time frame for CH7x-12 Hard mode? As in, is it part of the FEE3 release or further ahead? Just asking in case It's worth waiting a bit to start another playthrough. If it's a couple months then I'll wait.

I'd ask for Maniac too, but do feel free to spend all the time you need to make it as evil as possible >=o

Edited by DLuna