FE7x: Immortal Sword - Part One Complete

BwdYeti

Quick bug report for the Mac version: I get a crash as soon as Marcus starts his promotion.

http://www.filedropper.com/1suspend

Link to the suspend data is there, if you need it for anything.

I do have the required Mono framework and it's been working alright up to this point (midway through the chapter that you get Hassar/Toni/Cybil).

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it unreasonable to hope for a Linux port by FEE3?

I dunno what you did between this release and the last one, but sound no longer works when I try to run this via Wine. I tried running it in a VM but it was near unplayable. Game would constantly slow down, then speed back up.

please, oh wise and powerful yeti, have pity for us poor Linux users

7x requires OpenAL for audio now, which is new compared to the previous version. No idea what you'd have to do to get OpenAL working with Wine programs, but that's your starting point at least.

@Wander I'll take a look at it tomorrow

Quick bug report for the Mac version: I get a crash as soon as Marcus starts his promotion.

http://www.filedropper.com/1suspend

Link to the suspend data is there, if you need it for anything.

I do have the required Mono framework and it's been working alright up to this point (midway through the chapter that you get Hassar/Toni/Cybil).

At Chapter 6 and I can report the same bug on OSX. Game crashes as Marcus starts to promote.

ja5P1ef.png

So hey I finally got FE7x running stably on OSX, wow! Everything looks like it's running fine, so if you're on a Mac try it out, and if any problems come up let me know about them.

7CnBVuw.pngXyE6emw.png

Also this! Starting from this release, whenever a new version of FE7x comes out the game will let you know at the main menu. maybe some day you'll be able to click the link and go straight to the site, or update the game without even opening a web browser, but today is not that day

But for now you'll have to download v0.5.0.3 the old fashioned way ~' 3'~

And as always there's also your standard bugfixes and such, if you've had any problems with the previous release.

omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

You don't understand how long I've been waiting for this!!!!

EDIT: If I press fullscreen on a mac, it becomes unresponsive, and I have to force quit it. I tried to reopen it, but I won't. I deleted it and unzipped the file again, but it's not working.

EDIT: YES!!! I re-installed mono and it's working fine!

Edited by Willie

Fixed the crash on promotion bug on OSX, and uploaded v0.5.0.4

Hey let's all see if 0.5.0.3 properly tells people there's a new update o:

Darn it, I'm going to use up all my data allowance with these constant updates!

...Keep 'em coming.

And yep, the old version informed me.

Not-so-random-question; when does the FE7x analytics thing actually upload its data? Every time you make a move, every time you end a turn, every time you complete a chapter, or just when you start up and it detects an internet connection? Because my internet data is limited, I'm typically not connected unless I'm actively browsing/dowloading. I'd like to know, so I can re-enable my connection at the appropriate times.

So I'm having a problem with the mac version. Up in the top left, if I click FE7x, I assume there should be a list of options for my to configure controls, go to fullscreen, etc. but there's nothing there. I have mono installed.

EDIT: I'm dumb sorry. Figured it out.

EDIT 2: Is there a way to use save states?

Edited by arkel

Not-so-random-question; when does the FE7x analytics thing actually upload its data? Every time you make a move, every time you end a turn, every time you complete a chapter, or just when you start up and it detects an internet connection? Because my internet data is limited, I'm typically not connected unless I'm actively browsing/dowloading. I'd like to know, so I can re-enable my connection at the appropriate times.

Only at the end of a chapter, when the rankings screen pops up. The game stores the rankings over the course of the whole chapter and uploads it all at once. The rankings data is on average a whole 5KB though, so it's not much to be concerned about!

EDIT 2: Is there a way to use save states?

Nope. Mid-chapter checkpoints are generous, casual mode exists, and turns/battles can be skipped with start to speed things up. Savestates are just egregious overkill.

I've really enjoyed what you've made so far. I do have one question about the new release, though. I noticed that some of the maps (Prologue, Chapter 5) are mirrored compared to how they looked in the previous version. Any particular reason for that?

I think it's so the player is not always going 'right to left' or 'down to up'.

I really prefer the map flips anyway. They just feel 'right', for some reason.

I'm actually really surprised that CH9, CH11 and CH12 are all 'down to up' considering this change. Might be worth CH11 being flipped, honestly.

Bit of an inconsistency there.

Edited by DLuna

The survive goal is completely deceptive as far as I know. It's actually a rout map.

I think the purpose is because the map itself initially is a defend map by nature. It transitions into rout and it's possible the earlier versions of the map just said 'rout' from the start which could give the player the wrong impression on how best to play the map for the first 10 or 15 turns or so.

It's a psychology thing.

Its not a psychology thing so much as telling the player something that isn't true and getting them to prepare to end the chapter and then... not ending the chapter. Telling the player a chapter goal then not actually ending in it is deceptive like you said. But that's all it is, imo.

The transition doesn't seem that smooth either from what I remember of last night. It was just like 'woosh here's 4 more turns, bud'

If I could make a suggestion, just make the goal more transparent right off the bat: 14 (or 11) turns from the beginning. Or just make the goal a rout goal without a limit. 14 turns is already a reeeeally long chapter for fog, and it doesn't really help that you have no controllable axe users and a drunk Uther too. FE7's sands of time was just 11 turns of a defend and that was late game :o. I only mention that chapter because I don't think a 14 turn fog map sounds that fun lol.

I'd like to have more goal transparency imo.

But I'll need to give the chapter another spin and see if my experience changes.

just don't be bad at fe

the reasoning I saw for the chapter was in the beginning, you're trying to fend off the attackers who are assaulting the village, ergo defend for x turns because your leader is basically incapacitated. Then, reinforcements happen, add X turns to the defend limit. Then, finally, they enemy slows down, Uther gets a bit more sober, goal changes to clearing out all the enemies who attacked for the safety of the village and a clean get away for the next chapter.

It's a psychology thing.

That doesn't mean that it's inherently a good design. An "efficient player", operating under the premise that the chapter will end after turn 10 (having seen no sign of a boss that would extend the chapter), would be poorly positioned to continue the chapter for another four turns. I'm not going to waste healing items getting everyone back to full strength if the chapter's going to end. There's a lull in combat towards the end of those first 10 turns, which is a bit deceptive. The checkpoint at turn 9 is a bit fishy, but otherwise the player has no forewarning that the chapter will extend itself. It would be better to just say "14 turns" outright, and the transition to "rout" is still a surprise (you thought you didn't have to fight the boss? hah!). Or, alternatively, you could extend the turn count to 14 when the miniboss appears--at least then players would have adequate warning. Maybe Uriel should get a cutaway scene early on, too, which would foreshadow the boss fight.

Uther gets a bit more sober

except he doesn't. no playable axe units, fog, indefinitely drunk lord, and misleading goals make this chapter kinda frustrating. Edited by Arch

CH9 just feels like a defend map. That's why the goal is to survive initially, I'd imagine.

For all intents and purposes it IS a defend map. And you are defending against the two bosses that charge at you.

But considering those two bosses charge at you just before the turn count ends, the objective changes. Unless they don't and I'm mistaken -- haven't played it in a while.

I do think the text could just be 'Survive' possibly. And then it changes to "Kill Boss" as soon as the boss text shows up. That would probably be better, granted. I just disagree with the argument that it shouldn't have 'survive' to begin with. I can't recall if the transition is more flawed than I think though.

except he doesn't. no playable axe units, fog, indefinitely drunk lord, and misleading goals make this chapter kinda frustrating.

I never thought it was frustrating. In thought the challenge was adequate. You get a torch + a torch staff. Enemies can't cheat fog. You get obvious warnings about the bosses. There's an additional objective with the side village. Uther being drunk for a map is actually an interesting balance consideration since he's god (or at least his weapon is) in every map before this one -- meaning if you relied on him too much then you may have a harder time. It's a factor I rather like.

I don't recall there being that many enemy lance users either. Boss being the notable one I suppose.

At the very least, it bored me far less than the maps after it. Which may just be due to a forced normal mode but I'm not entirely sure yet. CH9 to CH12 all being "Go north and kill enemies in your way" is far more concerning than an actual interesting map (which I defend CH7 being). But it might just be more polished than those.

As far as FoW maps go it was completely reasonable IMO. I'm genuinely interested in Maniac mode for that map.

CH9 just feels like a defend map. That's why the goal is to survive initially, I'd imagine.

For all intents and purposes it IS a defend map. And you are defending against the two bosses that charge at you.

But considering those two bosses charge at you just before the turn count ends, the objective changes. Unless they don't and I'm mistaken -- haven't played it in a while.

I do think the text could just be 'Survive' possibly. And then it changes to "Kill Boss" as soon as the boss text shows up. That would probably be better, granted. I just disagree with the argument that it shouldn't have 'survive' to begin with. I can't recall if the transition is more flawed than I think though.

I never thought it was frustrating. In thought the challenge was adequate. You get a torch + a torch staff. Enemies can't cheat fog. You get obvious warnings about the bosses. There's an additional objective with the side village. Uther being drunk for a map is actually an interesting balance consideration since he's god (or at least his weapon is) in every map before this one -- meaning if you relied on him too much then you may have a harder time. It's a factor I rather like.

I don't recall there being that many enemy lance users either. Boss being the notable one I suppose.

At the very least, it bored me far less than the maps after it. Which may just be due to a forced normal mode but I'm not entirely sure yet. CH9 to CH12 all being "Go north and kill enemies in your way" is far more concerning than an actual interesting map (which I defend CH7 being). But it might just be more polished than those.

As far as FoW maps go it was completely reasonable IMO. I'm genuinely interested in Maniac mode for that map.

I know you quoted Arch but just in case someone thought something similar about my take on it:

The chapter is interesting and yes it is a nice challenge (and I personally think that 10-11 turns is a perfect amount of time to do everything you need to). And the side village is a nice side thing, too. I'm not calling the chapter frustrating in that way, buuuut it just feels I got killed because of bullshit difficulty rather than actual difficulty.

That doesn't mean that it's inherently a good design. An "efficient player", operating under the premise that the chapter will end after turn 10 (having seen no sign of a boss that would extend the chapter), would be poorly positioned to continue the chapter for another four turns. I'm not going to waste healing items getting everyone back to full strength if the chapter's going to end. There's a lull in combat towards the end of those first 10 turns, which is a bit deceptive. The checkpoint at turn 9 is a bit fishy, but otherwise the player has no forewarning that the chapter will extend itself. It would be better to just say "14 turns" outright, and the transition to "rout" is still a surprise (you thought you didn't have to fight the boss? hah!). Or, alternatively, you could extend the turn count to 14 when the miniboss appears--at least then players would have adequate warning. Maybe Uriel should get a cutaway scene early on, too, which would foreshadow the boss fight.

except he doesn't. no playable axe units, fog, indefinitely drunk lord, and misleading goals make this chapter kinda frustrating.

Uther has a line where it sounds like he gets less drunk but it doesn't do anything. First time I played I actually figured he'd be cured next turn after that popped up. :/

Also god those Witches in 7x are so bullshit with Slow. And I may have thought Richard was a woman until later in the game when he started appearing a lot more.