About the new member badges

VincentASM

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say I like this change. A combination of wholeheartedly disliking FE10 and doubly wholeheartedly disliking Micaiah kinda sours me significantly on this new badge thing. Furthermore, the whole "post pips" thing actually gives some information, while this just looks fancy-ish without actually adding anything of real benefit. As Spoon said, the lack of opt-out is annoying, as well as the focus on FE9/10.

This would be okayish if it were user-defined and not based on postcount, but as it stands, it's something sizeable permanently stuck on our postbit that we have no real influence over, which just annoys me to no end.

I think FE 9-10 would fit because it kinda goes with the SF theme. But of course if people want other FE games then... idk fine by me.

Although I'd like to be able to choose mine too =3

Guys, until a solution can be found by the staff to include a dropdown or something to let you select the badge of your choosing, if you want diversity of badges, this is the only way to do it. Otherwise, everybody would have to have the same badge.

Edited by Lord Glenn

I apologize if this was already said, but, do the badges change as though a pip was added?

I think so since its based on post count/pips.

Guys, until a solution can be found by the staff to include a dropdown or something to let you select the badge of your choosing, if you want diversity of badges, this is the only way to do it. Otherwise, everybody would have to have the same badge.

I like it just fine. :B

Oh I'm not complaining, I agree that it's more exciting that there are multiple avatars, not to mention if there was only one for male/female/neither, people may not like those that they're stuck with, anyhow~

I just kind of want either Yune or that mystery girl is all. Or Sothe, but I think I have too many posts to get him

I just kind of want either Yune or that mystery girl is all. Or Sothe, but I think I have too many posts to get him

The mystery girl is the fake Female Protag that VASM had for the April fools joke last year, when he made a topic about a new FE, iirc

Also, if my last post sounded whiny, I am perfectly fine with this change, I just wish we could change our badges D:

If not, oh well, I can deal o 3o

I don't mind the new badges, but I think it would have been better to have just one for each user group until members are able to choose. It adds some nice uniformity until people are able to personalize it.

And screw FE10 and Roro, a Hicks badge is needed! ^_^

The available member badges are oppressively FE9/10 oriented. There is no reason that we cannot have member badges that have a mix of characters from non-FE9/10 games in the series. Because we already have many FE9/10 member badges made, it would be wasteful to not use some of them. Therefore a similar number of member badges should be produced for each game in the series. Failure to do this will show that the staff wishes to push an FE9/10 based agenda to the point of making members who don't like these games feel like they're being excluded.

Unless I'm mistaken, more games aren't represented because of the clash of style used in the official art (compare FE6 to FE10 if you don't know what I'm talking about). Since the site is named Serenes Forest, after a location in FE9/10, it would make sense that the FE9/10 style would be chosen.

Although that doesn't explain the presence of Roro and Firio...

Oh I'm not complaining about a us not being able to choose a badge; I know that this option will be a no-brainer once Vincent figures out a way to do this. What I'm worried about is that there won't be an option to opt-out of this, and that FE9/10 will be horribly overrepresented.

Unless I'm mistaken, more games aren't represented because of the clash of style used in the official art (compare FE6 to FE10 if you don't know what I'm talking about). Since the site is named Serenes Forest, after a location in FE9/10, it would make sense that the FE9/10 style would be chosen.

Although that doesn't explain the presence of Roro and Firio...

The name of the site and forcing members to have an FE9/10 badge are two entirely different things. One of them is an address, and the other is something attached to every member whether they like it or not. Or are you telling me that you would hypothetically seriously complain about both the name of your town and that it has a brothel right across from the school?

As for the art styles clashing, who honestly cares?

Oh I'm not complaining about a us not being able to choose a badge; I know that this option will be a no-brainer once Vincent figures out a way to do this. What I'm worried about is that there won't be an option to opt-out of this, and that FE9/10 will be horribly overrepresented.

I agree that a 'no badge' option would be good to have, for those that don't want one. I don't see the badges as a big deal, though.

The name of the site and forcing members to have an FE9/10 badge are two entirely different things. One of them is an address, and the other is something attached to every member whether they like it or not. Or are you telling me that you would hypothetically seriously complain about both the name of your town and that it has a brothel right across from the school?

I'm not sure how the badges and the hypothetical situation are related.

Someone did, apparently.

An address? Buddy, the entire site is designed to look like a specific area in the game. That goes beyond "an address." You've got the background on the forum with the heron trio and the old member groups were things like "egg" and "hatchling." The theme has always been here and this just adds to that. I don't see the issue unless you're just an old elitist who hates all new things and thinks their cool because they like old stuff. I think being able to turn off the badges like can be done with avatars and signatures would be a fine addition, but I really don't understand why people are so annoyed by this.

And I bet if they'd been here from the start this kind of discussion would never even happen.

If you don't like your badge, post more.

If you don't want to see the badges, get Firefox and AdBlock Plus.

Or just deal with it.

I like them. Nice addition. About time, too.

What I'm worried about is... that FE9/10 will be horribly overrepresented.

Who honestly cares? Oh wait, you do.

You say this like it was a bad thing.

And you're implying that this is a good thing. Are you really that unobservant? Most of the complaints about the new member badges aren't about imminent "stratification of the community" (in fact, you're pretty alone in this opinion); users are complaining the most about having a member badge representing a character that they don't like.