About the new member badges

VincentASM

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I mean, come on. It's a feature that people have wanted for a long time. It is free, it does not effect anything. Don't complain about something that is completely harmless, and don't get into silly arguments over it. It's not perfect yet, just be happy some actual work is being put into a long-requested feature and that it was not forgotten. Show a little appreciation for the guy doing his best to add some neat things to the forum that we did not previously have.

Thanks for the neat badges guys :tangerine:.

Oh I'm not complaining about a us not being able to choose a badge; I know that this option will be a no-brainer once Vincent figures out a way to do this. What I'm worried about is that there won't be an option to opt-out of this, and that FE9/10 will be horribly overrepresented.

When/if we figure out how to enable a choice of badges for Members, I *may* consider looking for a way to make it so that you can choose no badge. Not sure what I'm going to replace a badge with though, just nothing at all?

Although personally, I don't really understand why somebody who have a strong desire to have their badge removed. By the time you get to choose badges, there won't be any more issues of "stratification", so the only legitimate reason I can think of to not have a badge is because you don't like the concept of badges, which... I'm afraid doesn't really count as a legitimate reason to me, especially when it seems most members are happy to have them. I apologise if this seems like I'm trying to force you into conformity, that's what I'm probably doing, but at least it doesn't hurt.

In the meantime, I don't really want us to be going around removing badges by request.

Can't say I like this change. A combination of wholeheartedly disliking FE10 and doubly wholeheartedly disliking Micaiah kinda sours me significantly on this new badge thing. Furthermore, the whole "post pips" thing actually gives some information, while this just looks fancy-ish without actually adding anything of real benefit. As Spoon said, the lack of opt-out is annoying, as well as the focus on FE9/10.

We'll probably stick with Tellius artwork (with the odd exception or two) for reasons already stated by other members (yes, this may include thematic reasons).

I think people have mentioned this already, but the point of removing postcount and, now, the pips is to remove this generally unnecessary information.

I don't mind the new badges, but I think it would have been better to have just one for each user group until members are able to choose. It adds some nice uniformity until people are able to personalize it.

We did this once with Rafiel and lots of people didn't like it, although I'm also thinking it's because nobody really liked Rafiel.

I agree. Stratified member badges encourage petty divisiveness and snap judgement--putting people into boxes instead of using your brain. They're just an arbitrary symbol that create false association among people who usually have little in common. Also, tying it to post count turns it into a major status symbol, especially if "more posts = more badass" and that just doesn't end well. We should either have just one as simply an aesthetic thing, or no badges at all.

There isn't supposed to be an obvious way to determine which badge represents what level of postcount and there's like a dozen badges to remember, so I doubt this scenario will occur. I guess you could try look for this information yourself, but then you might as well, say, search all members by postcount or something.

Edited by VincentASM

Can I just ask... is my badge really that April Fool's day joke from last year?

It DOES bother me to have this one, myself, because, since I don't have an avatar, that basically becomes my avatar and represents me... and I don't think it does that very well... But, honestly, it's not that big of a deal.

Edit: It changed!

Edited by Rewjeo

There isn't supposed to be an obvious way to determine which badge represents what level of postcount and there's like a dozen badges to remember, so I doubt this scenario will occur. I guess you could try look for this information yourself, but then you might as well, say, search all members by postcount or something.

Challenge_accepted_Red_pancake-s400x300-128675-580.jpg

A moderator that shall remain nameless once told me my post count was exactly 777. That was pretty cool.

So I must be getting close to 1,000 posts by now. Hm. Wonder if I'll see my badge change.

Edit:

Yune

Griel

Nephenee

Boyd

Vika

Firio

Muarim

Roro

Soren

Nolan

Cavalier's Horse

Micaiah

Sothe

Black Knight

Mist

Ike

Is the list. Surprisingly easy to figure out once you look at the image urls... since they're in order, starting with http://serenesforest.net/forums/public/style_extra/team_icons/00.png for Ike and ending with http://serenesforest.net/forums/public/style_extra/team_icons/14.png for Yune

Updated list courtesy of Phoenix and Radiant

Edited by Cylon

If you don't like your badge, post more.

If you don't want to see the badges, get Firefox and AdBlock Plus.

Or just deal with it.

Heh, it easy for someone who doesn't hate the badge they got to say that. I like

the badges, but seriously, I would be mad as hell if I got Micaiah.

Edited by April

Heh, it easy for someone who doesn't hate the badge they got to say that. I like

the badges, but seriously, I would be mad as hell if I got Micaiah.

Since it's postcount-based, there's a rather easy solution for that... and also a not-so-hidden insidious side-effect.

Also TheEnd seems to have his own unique badge. He also doesn't seem to be on the list of top posters (not in the first 30 pages), despite having something like 10K profile views (that's like 10 times what I have, and I barely post and am on something like page 6)

Edit: I do know why he has his own badge. Just before someone points that out...

Edited by Cylon

He probably has access to some kind of forum for helping out with something related to the site. The image is called Soldtheirsoul.png.

Also pretty good proof that non-Tellius art doesn't have to clash.

Yune

Griel

Nephenee

Boyd

??? girl

Firio

Muarim

Roro

Soren

Nolan

Oscar's Horse

Micaiah

Sothe

Black Knight

Mist

Ike

Is the list. Surprisingly easy to figure out once you look at the image urls... since they're in order, starting with http://serenesforest.net/forums/public/style_extra/team_icons/01.png for Ike and ending with http://serenesforest.net/forums/public/style_extra/team_icons/14.png for Yune

Ike is http://serenesforest.net/forums/public/style_extra/team_icons/00.png . Mist is http://serenesforest.net/forums/public/style_extra/team_icons/01.png .

Just thought I should point that out. :P

Edited by Phoenix Wright

It's Vika.

Yep, can see that now. I had it down as 'Soren' before, until I got to the actual Soren image and was highly confused :lol:

Also it seems Firio (I'm assuming that's who it is, a google search of the name 'Firio' looked similar, but I'm just basing this on assuming my one is Roro and one of the other two was Firio which someone else mentioned) doesn't have a standardly numbered image. I'm now looking for what that image is called and/or if it's special in some way.

Yeah. I can't even find Firio any more and she's not in the numbering so I guess it's someone's special picture.

Also Spoon also has Soldtheirsoul.png. Goshdangit, I feel like I'm being trolled here.

Edited by Cylon

Yep, can see that now. I had it down as 'Soren' before, until I got to the actual Soren image and was highly confused :lol:

Also it seems Firio (I'm assuming that's who it is, a google search of the name 'Firio' looked similar, but I'm just basing this on assuming my one is Roro and one of the other two was Firio which someone else mentioned) doesn't have a standardly numbered image. I'm now looking for what that image is called and/or if it's special in some way.

Yeah. I can't even find Firio any more and she's not in the numbering so I guess it's someone's special picture.

Also Spoon also has Soldtheirsoul.png. Goshdangit, I feel like I'm being trolled here.

Firio is indeed her name. I don't think she's a badge anymore. :o:

That's Xavier. Not sure where he fits in the hierarchy, though. well spoon certainly has a non fe9/10 character. hah...

The "Soldtheirsouls" or Xavier, seems pretty much like the "Advisor" group which FEP had (dunno if more forums have it).

EDIT: Or it's just a regular button and the name's just.... weird.

Edited by Feaw

I'll just throw this out, it's possible to set up optional icons by usergroup, you just have to either get creative or use a mod created for it. We had it on FEU and we still have it on SoS, it's just a matter of how you feel about toying around with some rather "unclean" programming.

I also don't know how the fuck to do it. I just know it should be possible.