The Road to Ruin [Complete] [v3.0.3 Released!]

Primefusion

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks to my beta testers we've gotten a number of things ironed out.

Here's some screens for Chapter 10:

Ch10Work_zps00eb57c3.png

I just need a handful of portraits and then I'll be ready for release!

I don't have a hard set date for you all but know that it's coming soon. Hopefully

Oh, and have some media courtesy of Mageknight404 and pals!

Hi, Trent. Love ya.

• 3 weeks later...

Midnight release! Well, midnight for me anyway!

Welcome to The Road to Ruin V2.0

This patch will take you through 13 chapters of content and ends after chapter 10.

For those interested in a somewhat detailed account of what's changed since last patch, the Release Info document is the place to go. Along with the credits, a pronunciation guide is included in case anyone's curious about how something is, well, pronounced.

With that said, enjoy and I hope you have fun! Feedback is always welcome. hi

I finished my first full playthrough of the hack and it gave me a good impression. Much better than the old one.

[spoiler=Chapters]Prologue didn't seem that different aside from position flip, but I tried to split the part and that didn't work out too well. Turtling the start until the southern troops were mostly dead worked out better.

Chapter 1 also didn't see too many changes, although it sure felt harder to break through the bridge. Ava's crit bonus helped out here since otherwise there are no good heavy hitters. On a side note Buck has been gaining a lot of Defense.

Chapter 2 was also much of the same. Torie was doing poorly, so I had her drop Buck on the village to keep it safe. The short bow archer tinked him, which was hilarious. Also Hugo joined and I finally have a respectable Tier 1 damage dealer!

Chapter 3 was Yet Another Unchanged MapTM although the enemy patterns seemed different. Swordreavers were scary and the pegasus reinforcements were tricky to work around. Also Ava didn't crit the boss despite having the Pian Dao equipped, Hugo had to finish her off with a coin flip hit rate. >:(

Chapter 4 was... very different from what I remember, and I approve of the change! I like how you gave us two escape routes: a quick cut through the right side, or break the choke point to get to the chest while letting the time bomb tick. That narrow hallway is a death trap with all the ranged units hanging around. Pulling the boss with Hugo was risky because he took him from full HP to 1, but Hugo smacked him back. Buck got to shoot one of the snipers before we bolted.

I might as well roll the gaidens into one since they were much of the same. First off, props to making survival maps actually feel like a fight for survival! It was difficult keeping the core units alive when the generics die in two or three rounds. I was down to Aaron and O'Riley at the end of 4x and them plus Kraval on 6x. (Yorlu doesn't count when nothing can reach him) I tried to save items in case they carried over but it was not meant to be. I still don't know what's in that top-left house.

(Also generics dying tanks your Survival score :( )

Aside from Kristoph joining here Chapter 5 wasn't very different, the initial rush was troublesome but after that it's all good. That Iron Poleax looks great on Hugo.

Chapter 6 was also largely unchanged, had trouble with the enemies here too and Kristoph and Corvan came close to death repeatedly tanking the hallway. Pocket healers MVP.

And then Chapter 7 came along and I got my ass kicked in the center of the map a couple times. Nobody on the team besides Ava, Buck, and Melusine could double so killing the enemies was a tough task. Vance finally started growing enough Speed to double though, so it got better.

I like how you have to rush in Chapter 8 if you don't want the Killsteal Brigade robbing you of the drops. It was tricky to get going until I figured out how to use Torie. It was her last map but her flying utility came in handy. For some reason Raizen totally stopped charging at the crossroads, perhaps his AI is passive aggressive?

I had to reset in Chapter 9 because the RNG sucked and I had to figure out Marris' movement pattern anyway, thankfully it didn't involve Vance doing a full lap of the map. Meanwhile Buck showed the sniper who is boss and O'Riley gained Speed and became even more manly. Chipped the boss for experience before Ava went in for the kill. Treasure collecting sucked but at least Marris cleared most of the center room early.

And then on Chapter 10 I get my ass kicked several times AGAIN, thank god the enemies are slower here or it would be a lot worse. It feels like I had to choose between the two houses, I chose the lower left one; I'd field Torie but she's garbage and I needed a full team. Samuel, Melusine and Braxton tanked the northern forces with Gracia support while Vance led a crusade against the southern boss, then doubled back to fight the northern boss while promoted Kristoph and cronies handled the reinforcements. He nearly died after failing to crit her on both his attacks and only survived because of enemy movement order. I take it that had I left the Great Knight alone she'd charge too?

Anyway, here's a few criticisms I have:

-I feel like my units aren't doing enough damage in the Prologue aside from Ava, who has crit. Maybe give Buck a Steel Bow or Torie more Con/1 more Speed?

-Iron/Steel/Crystal Swords could stand to gain 1 Mt (and lower Iron Sword Hit by 5) for uniformity with lances and axes.

-You lowered the Steel Axe weight but not the Steel Lance why?

-We get a Steel Longbow in Ch9 but never but iron? Am I missing something?

-Short Sword wasn't all that useful with how few Armors there were early on, and by the time they became more common I had stuff like Iron Poleax Hugo and magic to deal with them. Then again maybe I should have blown a few uses to fix damage problems...

-I think the drop rate is just right, though maybe you could throw in a Goddess Icon at some point? Several units have low Luck and while low% crits are rarer than people like to think the chances are all over the place.

-What's the deal with Paladins? They feel out of place when you're using the one-weapon horseman.

[spoiler=and team]RoadtoRuin01-1.png

Did alright early on, then went through a period of being bad until he got his doubling act together around Ch7. Now that we have Killing Edges he's starting to rock. Still rather frail, I might give him the shield.

RoadtoRuin02-1.png

MVP

He was the first non-Ava unit to do consistent damage and doubling, and holy shit that defense what are you? He needed the Energy Ring in Ch9 because his strength started to wane but it was worth it. If I need to promote someone in Ch11 he's my first pick.

RoadtoRuin16.png

Awful. She got RNG screwed and was stuck in the "I need Slim to double but stronger lances to hurt" rut and while flight utility was useful in Ch8 she was dead weight after that. She had enough defenses and Slim Lance uses to pull some enemies there too, but that's it. Buff pegasus con pls

RoadtoRuin12.png

I had a love-hate relationship with her crit bonus, sometimes it was a lifesaver while other times it stole exp. 9 Str won't hold much longer but at least Pian Dao is strong and gives her Rutger-esque offense.

RoadtoRuin13.png

Clutch but her magic lagged a long time. She'll be a useful backup healer but I'm giving her space to Gracia otherwise.

RoadtoRuin17.png

Mediocre then bad. I feel like he could have been something and at least he had better damage than Torie in Ch8, but his levels didn't deliver.

RoadtoRuin14.png

Was really useful early on with his surprisingly accurate axe damage, and he made a decent tank. But his speed caught up to him by Ch8 so I benched him for O'Riley.

RoadtoRuin04.png

Grows really really fast, gained little speed but the wings and promotion bonuses fixed him up for Ch10. He was like a better Hugo on lances. Promoted at Level 19.

RoadtoRuin15.png

Was an okay tank, and I like that he had a passable speed stat and early axes to play with. But like Hugo his speed wore out and his defense wasn't all that impressive either, so I dropped him.

RoadtoRuin03.png

I actually wasn't sure of her gender until the text gave it away. 12 speed base is great and so is 1-2 range, she wasn't ORKOing but the damage was good enough. Growing slowly but her bases are carrying her far.

RoadtoRuin09.png

I overlooked him at first but between Hugo and Corvan falling off and gaining a point in speed in Ch8 and another early into Ch10 he quickly became a keeper. He's still a bit behind the curve and his accuracy could use some work but I have crystal.

RoadtoRuin07.png

Fantastic once he gained the crucial speed point, I already blew through a full Thunder tome and am prepared to burn through another because his promotion is awesome.

RoadtoRuin05.png

Meh. I'd hoped for better after 4x and 6x but his performance hasn't been great so far. He's still better than the benched units, and with the Killer Lance he might redeem himself.

O'RILEY THO

RoadtoRuin06.png

Fucking amazing man. Being old and frail doesn't make him any worse at tearing things in two.

RoadtoRuin08.png

I don't think I'll regret demoting Sylvia to second-string healer.

RoadtoRuin10.png

King of slow for a level 14 thief but she still doubles consistently and can handle the treasure hunting. Killing Edge helped patch up her offense, she ORKOs mages without needing a crit.

RoadtoRuin11.png

convoy/10

Also I didn't get a screenshot but I like how you edited the transporter palette instead of leaving her as Merlinus.

Maybe in another run I'll get units like Torie and Jorin to work.

tl;dr good hack/10 would play again then set it aside until the next release

Good story, good characters, good writing. Nice hack, looking forward to more.

Glad you liked it!

I finished my first full playthrough of the hack and it gave me a good impression. Much better than the old one.

[spoiler=Chapters]

Chapter 3 was Yet Another Unchanged MapTM

Didn't see a need to change most of the maps from last release aside from Chapter 4. Most of them just got dialogue changes to fit the new setting along with enemy tweaks.

(Also generics dying tanks your Survival score :( )

Like I said in the readme, rank stuff hasn't really been edited at all from vanilla (Though survival is probably separate anyways in which case... yeah RIP survival score >: )

It was her last map but her flying utility came in handy. For some reason Raizen totally stopped charging at the crossroads, perhaps his AI is passive aggressive?

Otherwise he'd be a total kill/drop stealer. It'd be a dick move for the guy to nick the Master Seal off the boss.

I take it that had I left the Great Knight alone she'd charge too?

Yes, sir

Anyway, here's a few criticisms I have:

-I feel like my units aren't doing enough damage in the Prologue aside from Ava, who has crit. Maybe give Buck a Steel Bow or Torie more Con/1 more Speed?

Balancing Torie has been sort of a pain. I nerfed her during the beta period because she's was getting some monstrous stats but I probably got a little too zealous.

-Iron/Steel/Crystal Swords could stand to gain 1 Mt (and lower Iron Sword Hit by 5) for uniformity with lances and axes.

I'll look into it

-You lowered the Steel Axe weight but not the Steel Lance why?

I straight up forgot

-We get a Steel Longbow in Ch9 but never but iron? Am I missing something?

Side effect of redoing chapter 4. I'll probably have an enemy archer drop one of theirs (Though reports are suggesting that Buck is good enough without it :P)

-Short Sword wasn't all that useful with how few Armors there were early on, and by the time they became more common I had stuff like Iron Poleax Hugo and magic to deal with them. Then again maybe I should have blown a few uses to fix damage problems...

I've been debating whether or not to give the Short Blade cav effectiveness too but I'm not sure if that will end up cheesing some of the enemies/difficulty or not.

-I think the drop rate is just right, though maybe you could throw in a Goddess Icon at some point? Several units have low Luck and while low% crits are rarer than people like to think the chances are all over the place.

I might add one to Gracia's starting inventory.

-What's the deal with Paladins? They feel out of place when you're using the one-weapon horseman.

They're pre-promote only now. Hence why Raizen is one but the mono-horse guys promote differently.

Responses in bold.

tl;dr good hack/10 would play again then set it aside until the next release

Glad you enjoyed it!