ReformBlade

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name: Tiran

Class: (Fighter/Guard/Caster)

Affinity: (Fire/Wind/Ice/Thunder)

Weapon: Preferred, a large broadsword. Barring that, any kind of hand-and-a-half sword.

Appearance: 9BCz.png

(just pretend that’s a regular sword)

Nation of Origin: Sapphire

Backstory: A mercenary from a typically poor background, he rose in reputation of skill alone. He quickly became bored with the typical guild assignments, sometimes deliberately betraying his more corrupt employers. One night, when work was slow, he was approached and challenged by a young boy with black hair and a red rag around his shoulders. Some part of Tiran pitied the boy, and accepted. Instead of outright killing the brat, however, Tiran was content to knock him unconscious, shattering the kid’s blade in the process.

At some point during the next year, he was approached by a few men who were claiming to be after the Crimson Witch’s head. Another man mentioned something about continental war. Tiran accepted, if only because it would be more interesting than the current state of affairs. Because of this, the mercenary ended up crossing swords with the same boy from all those years ago. The kid had grown considerably, though was still an amateur in many ways. If it weren’t for the intervention of a massive, axe-wielding knight, Tiran would have killed the boy right there.

Personality-wise, he is arrogant and calculating. He’s never above a cheap jibe to get a potential opponent to open up. Also a tenacious opponent, his motto is to “get the hell up again and keep fighting”, he rarely backs down from a fight he knows he can’t win.

---

I personally have some plans for him (if you accept). PM me, or skype or something.

• 1 month later...

Well, this looks like a nice place as any to RP.

Name: Kore

Class: Caster

Affinity: Ice

Weapon: Tome: A black book filled with scrawls by Kore's own hand, it almost seems gibberish to all who read it. Many different spells are written down, from basic to advanced, making this the single weapon that Kore would never need to replace.

Dagger: A stabbing utensil with a history not for the faint of heart. Its semi-serrated edge is used quite often in Kore's little talks with people

Appearance:Koremedieivl.png

(Long, light brown hair. Gleaming red eyes most of the time, a green power glowing forth from them as his power is used. Wears glasses, and black robes with a green trim and a hood, which is usually down unless he choses to put on his mask as well. The mask itself is made out of steel, and consists of five vertical slits for eye holes. A few pieces of shoulder armor complete the picture. His body has several symbols burned directly into the flesh.)

Nation of Origin:Astarte

Backstory: Almost all the people who came to know Kore over his studies and in his early life would say that Kore was a quiet child, given everything he needed to study the practice of magic and go to the Mage's Tower to practice the great art. However, this description would no longer prove true after entering the Mage Tower at 16 and studying almost obsessively for a grand total of four years. His fame inside the prestidious Tower rose, until a fellow student found the quiet mage lying on the ground in his room, a book that looked older than the tower itself fallen next to him. With the suspicion that it had been stolen, the headmaster questioned Kore personally when he awoke, only to get an almost pitying look from Kore as he requested to leave the Tower, claiming: "This musty spire of fools chanting spells is not what any true caster should seek.". With reluctance and surprise at this new visage, the headmaster complied, and Kore left the Tower the following day, nothing taken from his room except a robe that had been specially made to handle magic that destroyed. A few months later, a rumor started of a madman in a mask who could not be killed. The two distinguishing features beside the mask seemed to be scent of of dust, blood, and decay, and the fact that the man stood still after he finished his killing, almost as if conversing in his head. The madman remains at large, striking once every few months, killing several before retreating into hiding every time. In his unmasked time, Kore can be very much a gentleman to the people he takes a liking to, although a murderous rage and foul mouth are reserved for the rest of populace.

Edited by und34dmuffin

...fuck dammit I hate making mages but I need to have some thunderbolt-slinging fun

Character name: Trescaide (trehs – cai – dei)

Class: castor Caster

Affinity: Fire

Weapon: Magic. Preferably electric-based. Her preferred tactic when fighting not-mages is to stand back and zap them, faced with mages she will get up close and then zap them in a bit more painful way.

To this end, she uses a small black dagger with an embedded gem that allows her to better manipulate her magic.

((As explained in this post, she basically enchanted the gem that lets her use the ‘control’ type of magic much better.

I kind of want to use “electrifying her dagger, then creating a physically enhanced (size-wise) blade with magic, creating something a bit like an actual magical lightning sword” as an example but I think that’s kind of pushing the bullshit. My reasoning when I wrote this up at 2:00 AM was that the fact that she not only has an enchanted object to project her mana through but she can use the blade as a ‘template’ so that she’s not strained by the effort of making an entire blade from scratch; she’s essentially using her magic to ‘extend’ the blade. then again this is a villain so maybe I can get away with it))

cagnazzo.jpg (pretend her skin is normal and whatnot)

Born as a Shuthran noble, Trescaide grew up pampered and otherwise unconcerned with anything. She lived blissfully studying in the magic academy for several years, gaining reputation as a gifted student. When the Crimson Witch scare was just picking up steam, Tres was a court magus in Pravna, obsessed with glory and power and all that. Her parents were among the first of those who put such high bounties on the witch’s head, and she was determined to collect that bounty herself. Unfortunately, she never got the chance. A supposedly dead mercenary had killed the witch, and Tres returned home to find her parents dead and a note with nothing but an image of a black flame scrawled on it with the words “stand”. Three years passed. The witch was supposedly returned, and, despite her urgings, Shuthra decided to ignore her. Now, a high-ranked court magus couldn’t just vanish and go rogue without causing some stir, yet she somehow managed it. With a few well-placed assassinations (with a hired bowman who would be found dead some days later) and a pretense of ‘investigating’ the rumors of the witch on the southern isles, she left the court with others none the wiser. She travelled to Devon after hearing that another proclaimed ‘Devourer’ was going to go find the one on the island, lying in wait. After years of being frightened by the legend’s power, Trescaide had become obsessed with the Crimson Witch, a mark against her in her record. At the moment when she left the court, she would have liked nothing more than to kill the witch and raise the girl’s head, again, in triumph.

Trescaide has an amazing memory, needing no tome for incantations. Unfortunately for her, her obsession has caused her once-great stores of mana to diminish greatly ((some BS about how she really just pours too much mana into one spell so it only seems like it is smaller yada yada yada)), and she would likely go completely batshit if confronted with the real witch. She was known in her work for being gentle and kind in one moment to shooting lightning bolts out of her eyes the next. Not even a temper, so much, as just a complete callousness and willingness to gain someone’s trust solely to betray them seconds later.

tl;dr, 500+ words of me rambling

[spoiler=On the way I set up characters]

With this character, I’ve broken my mold of “mostly same-size-as-life powered” physical-based characters. Up to now, I’ve had Ormis, who is meant to hilariously overestimate his own power before failing miserably; Teis, whose strength is pretty much unparalleled among my own characters at least (someone like Gideon or possibly Amera given a few years surpass him, as do people like Grant who have that whole thing of ‘determination is better than raw strength’ going for him) but is held back by his overly cautious nature; Rina, who has nearly no power to speak of besides her own good aim, and Therese, a character whose original purpose I’ve forgotten and instead is mostly a side character (with a big role later that I will keep secret although I think like 80% of you know what it is). ((I’m not counting Worsay here, since he’s dead and all.))

There’s a reason for this. In my eyes, there’s nothing I hate more (writing-wise) than a flawless character. I don’t mind a flawless character if they’re perfectly flawless, but then that’s difficult to write for, so I tend not to use those (and they tend to be broken as all fuck but that’s a slightly different matter). So when I do write a broken character I try to throw in flaws and all that and it generally sucks. And as I usually have trouble balancing magic users, I try to stay shy of them, so I can constrain my fighters with the rules of logic and physics which casters are (usually) not as affected by.

Tiran is an exception to this, I guess, since he’s kind of a mary-sue-superman guy in my eyes. His flaws are mostly superficial. I meant for him to be ‘slightly less skillful than Lucretia, slightly weaker than Teis, a slightly worse tactician/etc. than Horace/Danyon, a little bit less determined than Grant, etc.’ kind of ‘Masterjack of all trades’ sort. The whole thing with Ormis was supposed to set him up as a villain, but after playing him for a short while I’m not sure I want him to be entirely an antagonist. His personality isn’t right for that. I was kind of hoping a fight between Tiran and Danyon would break out, since then I could actually gauge how good Tiran actually was. Alas, it didn’t, but I will say right now that I intend for him to be an up-close-and-personal ‘cut you down with this giant sword’ attacker in a fight and thus subject to the rules of fatigue, physics, etc.

Now, of course, a villain is not *as* subject to these rules, since otherwise someone like Grant would be the champion of the world (although he kind of already is). So of course a mage would be the best choice so as not to defy the ‘rules’ of mine I just was talking about.

So basically this is my attempt to have a representation as members of the main party, a villainous character, and a kind of ‘third party loner’ character (Tiran).

Edited by Camtech

• 2 months later...

Class: Guard

Affinity: Wind

Weapon: Bow

Nation of Origin: Albion, Lushira

A young man who's parents abandoned him at a young age, only leaving a note claiming to go exploring the rest of the world. Now works as a mercenary guard willing to work for anyone who will pay. No siblings, no relations with anyone, simply an unkown individual skilled with a bow. Is currently out of work, living off of money he made from working for a rich man. Short on cash. He is an unusually optimistic individual, who would prefer to spend his time well, looking for fun.

Name:Heviken

picture: not available yet

• 4 weeks later...

Name: Julia

Class: Fighter/Caster, with moderate abilities in both.

Affinity: Wind

Weapon: 78.PNG

A sword presented to her by her father on her 18th birthday. Despite its size, the sword is relatively light. She can also use wind magic, but using it tires her quickly. She's slightly less proficient in the sword, but she's still learning.

Appearance:

AyOf8.jpg

Without the guns, obviously. Assume she's wearing pants under her skirt, until her ankles.

Nation of Origin: Ensaria, Lushira

Backstory: Daughter to Richard Windol, Julia Karen Windol was the second heir to the Windol estate, after her brother, Daniel Anthony Windol. She was 7 years younger than her brother, but she absolutely adored him, as well as her family.

From young, she was raised to be a lady, and she was indifferent to her teachings. She didn't mind, of course, but what she loved most was spending time with her brother and family, often talking to Daniel while he listened intently, rarely interrupting his sister.

When she was 10 years old, Daniel ran away. Julia was crushed. She yearned to be able to go after him, to bring him home, or even to accompany him, but she was still so young. She knew she wouldn't have been able to go with Daniel, no matter how she tried to convince him.

As such, she began taking an interest in magic and swordplay. Julia had the ability to use Wind magic, inherited from her maternal grandparents. Proficient Lushian mages came weekly to help her to hone her talents, but they quickly found that she wasn't as skillful as her grandparents were, as she tired out after completing a mere handful of spells. Still, she persevered, slowly training and building up her resistance and her ability to conduct the spells.

Swordplay was taught to her by her father, who understood her new-found desire for it. She started from scratch, but through sheer hard work, she slowly started to become better.

Finally, when she was 18, she asked for permission to join the Lushian army. Her parents were unwilling to allow her to join, but eventually, they relented. Upon application, and after some training, she was immediately promoted to Major due to her status as nobility.

18 months after applying to the army, her father was nearly assassinated, but a servant had unknowingly stepped in the way of the crossbow bolt which was poised for her father's heart. Upon receiving word on the suspected identity of the assassin, Julia immediately asked to lead a team to find the assassin and bring her to Lushira. She was denied time and time again, until word of the assassin's capture and release from a city in Shuthra came to Ensaria. Her request was finally approved, and disguised as mercenaries, Julia, along with a team of 8 or so soldiers, left Ensaria on horseback for Shuthra.

As fate would have it, she heard rumours of a blond man dressed in stylish clothing travelling with the Crimson Witch upon her arrival in Shuthra. In her heart of hearts, she knew it was her brother. She dispatched the 3 most unlikable members of her party to attempt to capture the assassin, the rest of her men willing to follow her to get her brother back.

The last set of rumours she heard placed the Crimson Witch in Pravna.

She's very determined, sometimes to the point of stubbornness, though it's not as bad as her brother. She's extremely close to her family, especially her brother, who'd been absent for half of her life. Most of all, all she really wants is for her brother to follow her back home.