Fire Emblem: Sun God's challenge

Blademaster!

SEVEN YEAR OLDS CANNOT BE EXPECTED TO FIGHT. IF THE PLAYER IS FORCING, AND IT WOULD BE FORCING THEM INTO BATTLE, THEY WOULD NO LONGER BE SYMPATHETIC AS THEY WOULD BE COMPLETE GODDAMN MONSTERS. THEY CANNOT FIGHT BETTER THAN EXPERIENCED SOLDIERS.

He's supposed to be a genius child soldier; a "freak of nature" so to say. He joins you because you are in a situation where you need all the help you can get, and HE offers to fight alongside you despite the player wanting to refuse. It's also supposed to add on to the setting of the land you now live in showing how some children needed to become soldiers just to survive. I mean, look at Fa or Chiki/Tiki. How old do you think they are mentally? Is Roy a complete monster for making Fa fight? Is Marth a complete monster for making Chiki/Tiki fight? Besides, you don't have to use him, and you don't even have to recruit him. You could just let him die, a sacrifice that occasionally has to be made in times of war, or just recruit him and bench him. The choice is the players. You can't always save everyone.

Also, if a sister who has probably never lifted something more than 30 pounds in her entire life and has little to no combat experience at all can survive getting hit with an axe attack from a grown man who has spent a large amount of time at least doing some weight lifting and training, I imagine a genius child soldier who has spent his whole life fighting can manage.

I will say that you pointing this out made me look up the video that gave me the Idea for his character, and the person he was based on wasn't as strong (still pretty strong though) as I originally remembered, so I might make him be a bit older, but still younger than Lugh/Ray/Chad.

WHY IS THE FIGHTER SO GODDAMN RICH.

He stole them. He has the thief key skill.

Why so much cruise control?

Edited by Blademaster!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's supposed to be a genius child soldier

what
a "freak of nature" so to say. He joins you because you are in a situation where you need all the help you can get
Supposedly prodigal SEVEN. YEAR. OLDS. help how, exactly?
and HE offers to fight alongside you despite the player wanting to refuse. It's also supposed to add on to the setting of the land you now live in showing how some children needed to become soldiers just to survive.
That sounds...counterproductive. Just somehow.
I mean, look at Fa or Chiki/Tiki.

Yes. The dragons.

How old do you think they are mentally? Is Roy a complete monster for making Fa fight? Is Marth a complete monster for making Chiki/Tiki fight?
You are comparing dragons to SEVEN. YEAR. OLDS.
Besides, you don't have to use him, and you don't even have to recruit him. You could just let him die, a sacrifice that occasionally has to be made in times of war
I realise this.
or just recruit him and bench him. The choice is the players. You can't always save everyone.
You can't always fight with mutated SEVEN. YEAR. OLDS.
Also, if a sister
Because only children are stronger.
who has probably never lifted something more than 30 pounds in her entire life and has little to no combat experience at all can survive getting hit with an axe attack from a grown man who has spent a large amount of time at least doing some weight lifting and training
What the fuck are you talking about? That's a COMPLETE non-sequiter. This 'sister' isn't actually fighting back, you realise, let alone somehow expecting competent results with a sword.
I imagine a genius child soldier
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

HE IS SEVEN. YEARS. OLD.

who has spent his whole life fighting
SEVEN YEARS! HAS HE BEEN FIGHTING SINCE HE WAS A FUCKING INFANT?!
He stole them. He has the thief key skill.

...Okay, I'll just handwave that because of the sheer amount of WHAT THE HELL in the last paragraph.

Why so much cruise control?

Because it's bad writing that makes no sense at all and sticks out like a sore thumb?

what

Supposedly prodigal SEVEN. YEAR. OLDS. help how, exactly?That sounds...counterproductive. Just somehow.

By fighting. It doesn't take that long to learn martial arts, let alone become good at them. In almost every martial arts class I've ever taken, I have always seen little kids who were fairly skilled in what they. In fact, in a recent MMA class I took, there was a 6-9 year old (can't remember the age, but he was under 10) who was already competing in a division for an above age group since he was so skilled. And a friend of mine who did Karate his whole life used to fight against adults and beat them.

Yes. The dragons.You are comparing dragons to SEVEN. YEAR. OLDS. I realise this. You can't always fight with mutated SEVEN. YEAR. OLDS.

I used them as mental comparisons as was clearly stated. Besides, based on the lore of the world the characters live in, that kid is 1/4 dragon too.

Because only children are stronger.What the fuck are you talking about? That's a COMPLETE non-sequiter. This 'sister' isn't actually fighting back, you realise, let alone somehow expecting competent results with a sword.WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

HE IS SEVEN. YEARS. OLD.

How is that statement illogical? It's a completely logical comparison. The 'sister' isn't actually fighting back you could say, but she is still in combat taking hits or dodging them which is still combat. If a sister with no training can take a hit in combat, why can't a seven year old with training?

Because it's bad writing that makes no sense at all and sticks out like a sore thumb?

Considering the reaction you are having is the reaction I wanted people to have (disbelief and astonishment) I would consider it good writing.

Seriously, I didn't just decide to make him so young out of no where because I thought it would be cool. His existence reflects the setting of the story. The land is in such horrible conditions that children like him were forced to take up arms to fight. It shows that the main villains plan (purge the world so that only the strong exist) is working. I've meet actual child fighters that were extremely skilled at what they did. There are videos of 9 Year Old Girls squatting 190 pounds (medieval swords only weighed around 1-6 pounds. Swords weighing around 6 or more pounds were more often used as spears rather than swords) on you tube, and 13 year olds lifting over 300-400 pounds. I based/got the idea for his character ON REAL PEOPLE I've seen and meet.

And I already said I would make him be a bit older.

And how old do you think the youngest possible child soldier should be? In the real world, there actually are 7 year old child soldiers (granted they have guns, but no real trainning).

By fighting. It doesn't take that long to learn martial arts, let alone become good at them. In almost every martial arts class I've ever taken, I have always seen little kids who were fairly skilled in what they. In fact, in a recent MMA class I took, there was a 6-9 year old (can't remember the age, but he was under 10) who was already competing in a division for an above age group since he was so skilled. And a friend of mine who did Karate his whole life used to fight against adults and beat them.

DO PEOPLE GET KILLED IN FUCKING KARATE LESSONS

NO

OKAY

I used them as mental comparisons as was clearly stated.

These mental comparisons are FAILING. A dragon is NOT going to be as psychologically scarred by battle as a fucking CHILD.

Besides, based on the lore of the world the characters live in, that kid is 1/4 dragon too.

Someone hand me a drink. Please?

ow is that statement illogical? It's a completely logical comparison. The 'sister' isn't actually fighting back you could say, but she is still in combat taking hits or dodging them which is still combat. If a sister with no training can take a hit in combat, why can't a seven year old with training?

You've yet to explain how a seven-year old with training he doesn't possess and morale he can't have and Marty Stu powers that make me want to hack him out of the game will actually go about the business of fighting back.

Considering the reaction you are having is the reaction I wanted people to have (bile-spewing hatred)
Fixed.
I would consider it good writing.

Ahahahah. Ahahah. Ahah.

Hah.

Wait, that isn't funny, it's actually kinda sad.

Seriously, I didn't just decide to make him so young out of no where because I thought it would be cool.
Does it fulfil an escapist fantasy of some kind?
His existence reflects the setting of the story. The land is in such horrible conditions that children like him were forced to take up arms to fight.
Right. And the part where he does so COMPETENTLY is...?
It shows that the main villains plan (purge the world so that only the strong exist) is working.
I don't follow.
I've meet actual child fighters that were extremely skilled at what they did.
Murder people? Really? Remind me never to meet anyone you've ever seen or known.
There are videos of 9 Year Old Girls squatting 190 pounds (medieval swords only weighed around 1-6 pounds.
Do you know what a 'complete non-sequiter' is?
Swords weighing around 6 or more pounds were more often used as spears rather than swords) on you tube
what the fuck are you talking about anymore
and 13 year olds lifting over 300-400 pounds. I based/got the idea for his character ON REAL PEOPLE I've seen and meet.

Okay. Okay. Shut up and listen now.

Are they seven-year olds, REALLY TANK seven year olds, who took up a sword and fight against zombies better than people with fully developed physiques?

No?

Good.

And I already said I would make him be a bit older.

And how old do you think the youngest possible child soldier should be? In the real world, there actually are 7 year old child soldiers (granted they have guns, but no real training).

WHY DO YOU THINK A SEVEN-YEAR OLD CAN BE TRAINED ETHICALLY TO HOLD THEIR GROUND

PLEASE, ENLIGHTEN ME

Everything above= tl;dr

Is Roy a complete monster for making Fa fight? Is Marth a complete monster for making Chiki/Tiki fight?

Fa and Tiki were supposed to be several hundreds of years old, just something to take into consideration.

Yeah, okay, Blademaster, I've read a book about African child soldiers who could fight and use guns, and, guess what? They weren't 7. They were 13, 14 years old. Now, THAT, MAAAAAAYBE, I can see as being a child genius and you could bullshit your way out of that. But, 7? No. There's no way you'll ever convince anyone that a child who would still be in grade school (In the real world) would be able to fight as well as a grown man because they'd been "fighting their whole life". Your mental comparison to the dragons, sure, but, physically? They can transform into FUCKING DRAGONS and breath fire at things that try to hurt them. I doubt your silly little 1/4 dragon 7 year old Stu can do the same.

So, please, instead of argue against EVERYONE HERE, just make him 13 or something. I mean, Roy was 15, and he led an army. He wasn't the most interesting character, but I digress. If you make the kid 13, at least you can argue your way out of it. But not 7. No way will you ever be able to convince anyone or win any argument, with 7. Ever.

DO PEOPLE GET KILLED IN FUCKING KARATE LESSONS

NO

OKAY

You just completely missed the point I was trying to make. I was trying to say that it isn't unheard of for young children to know a martial art. When ever you learn any martial art, obviously you aren't in a life threatening situation while learning it, but when you finally have to use it for self defense, you might be.

These mental comparisons are FAILING. A dragon is NOT going to be as psychologically scarred by battle as a fucking CHILD.

When you grow up only knowing war to the point where it is second nature to you, you really aren't going to be that scarred, if scarred at all. Look at the kid from The Lottery. He throws stones at his mother without a second thought and feels little if any remorse at all.

You've yet to explain how a seven-year old with training he doesn't possess and morale he can't have and Marty Stu powers that make me want to hack him out of the game will actually go about the business of fighting back.

What? This doesn't make any sense. How can he not possess training after I have said he has had training? If he's been fighting all his life, how does having real combat experience? How can someone not have morale when it is either fight or die? As for the marty stu thing, he was just born that way. He isn't the only character to have dragon blood in him either as many characters are dragon/human hybrids.

Does it fulfil an escapist fantasy of some kind?

No, it fits with the setting.

Right. And the part where he does so COMPETENTLY is...?

He's a MINOR character. How much fucking back story do you want me to give him?

I don't follow.

It can't be helped then.

Murder people? Really? Remind me never to meet anyone you've ever seen or known.

Way to spin my own words. You should become a fox news journalist. You'd be quite good.

Do you know what a 'complete non-sequiter' is?what the fuck are you talking about anymore

Okay. Okay. Shut up and listen now.

Are they seven-year olds, REALLY TANK seven year olds, who took up a sword and fight against zombies better than people with fully developed physiques?

No?

Good.

Non sequitur (pronounced /nɒnˈsɛkwɪtər/) is Latin for "it does not follow." It is most often used as a noun to describe illogical statements. I AM USING COMPARISONS TO REAL LIFE PEOPLE AND THINGS TO TRY AND SHOW PEOPLE LIKE HIM DO/COULD EXIST AND POINTING OUT OTHER POTENTIALLY ILLOGICAL THINGS THAT HAVE ALREADY EXISTED IN FIRE EMBLEM. I'm using evidence that exists to back up an argument of mine. It's how you prove a point, in case you didn't know. I mean, if you were in my position, how would you try and back up my point? The most logical thing to do would be to find and see if people like him ever existed, and if you couldn't find that then you do the next best thing and find evidence to show that such a person can exist.

WHY DO YOU THINK A SEVEN-YEAR OLD CAN BE TRAINED ETHICALLY TO HOLD THEIR GROUND

PLEASE, ENLIGHTEN ME

I have already done so, but all my explanations just seem to go over your head. I made him seven because I thought that would be the youngest age a child soldier could be, but such is irrelevant now anyway since I have already said I will make him be older, and this is now the third time I am saying this. He will be 12, which is three years older than Gutt's was in his first battle as a mercenary, and even Gutt's managed to kill some people in his first battle with only three years of battle training.

Yeah, okay, Blademaster, I've read a book about African child soldiers who could fight and use guns, and, guess what? They weren't 7. They were 13, 14 years old. Now, THAT, MAAAAAAYBE, I can see as being a child genius and you could bullshit your way out of that. But, 7? No. There's no way you'll ever convince anyone that a child who would still be in grade school (In the real world) would be able to fight as well as a grown man because they'd been "fighting their whole life". Your mental comparison to the dragons, sure, but, physically? They can transform into FUCKING DRAGONS and breath fire at things that try to hurt them. I doubt your silly little 1/4 dragon 7 year old Stu can do the same.

So, please, instead of argue against EVERYONE HERE, just make him 13 or something. I mean, Roy was 15, and he led an army. He wasn't the most interesting character, but I digress. If you make the kid 13, at least you can argue your way out of it. But not 7. No way will you ever be able to convince anyone or win any argument, with 7. Ever.

I already said I was going to make him older AFTER HE COMPLAINED THE FIRST TIME, and as stated above, he is now 12. I've just been arguing about young child soldiers since then and I don't know why he keeps bringing back up the fact that he is seven when I already said I would change his age.

Also, there are (were?) 7 year old child soldiers in Africa. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_use_of_children#Africa At about the end of the second paragraph.

Fa and Tiki were supposed to be several hundreds of years old, just something to take into consideration.

Actual age != Mental age.

Edited by Blademaster!

You just completely missed the point I was trying to make. I was trying to say that it isn't unheard of for young children to know a martial art

MARTIAL ARTS ISN'T FIGHTING YOU SOD
When ever you learn any martial art, obviously you aren't in a life threatening situation while learning it, but when you finally have to use it for self defense, you might be.
Were these people fighting to the death at any point at the age of seven?

NO.

GOOD.

When you grow up only knowing war to the point where it is second nature to you,
HE. IS. SEVEN.
you really aren't going to be that scarred, if scarred at all.
WHAT?! WHAT DO YOU MEAN, YOU PSYCHOPATH?!
Look at the kid from The Lottery. He throws stones at his mother without a second thought and feels little if any remorse at all.
BECAUSE HE HAS NO ALTERNATIVE, AND IF HE OBJECTS HE IS NEXT FOR THE BLOOD HARVEST. MAGIC MUTATO MAN CAN HIDE WITH THE ARMY AND, Y'KNOW, NOT FIGHT.
What? This doesn't make any sense. How can he not possess training after I have said he has had training? If he's been fighting all his life, how does having real combat experience?
Yes, how does having real combat experience?

And you don't seem to realise he's seven. Seven is young. Assuming he's been fighting for approximately, oh, let's say zero years...

How can someone not have morale when it is either fight or die?
It's called fight or flight.
As for the marty stu thing, he was just born that way.
*COUGH*stu*COUGH*
He isn't the only character to have dragon blood in him either as many characters are dragon/human hybrids.

No, it fits with the setting.

A setting shouldn't be an excuse for 'awesome shit to happen'. It should make sense in and of itself.

He's a MINOR character. How much fucking back story do you want me to give him?

The words of a dedicated and hard-working writer.

Way to spin my own words. You should become a fox news journalist. You'd be quite good.

So I'm a bullshit artist, hence I'm conservative. Nice generalisation. Almost sounds like something a Fox News celebrity might say.

Non sequitur (pronounced /nɒnˈsɛkwɪtər/)
Oh, no. I misspelt 'non fucking sequitur'. Do you really want me to pull out each and every one of YOUR errors?
is Latin for "it does not follow." It is most often used as a noun to describe illogical statements. I AM USING COMPARISONS TO REAL LIFE PEOPLE AND THINGS TO TRY AND SHOW PEOPLE LIKE HIM DO/COULD EXIST AND POINTING OUT OTHER POTENTIALLY ILLOGICAL THINGS THAT HAVE ALREADY EXISTED IN FIRE EMBLEM.

"Herp I'm nine and I can do squats"

"Wow, that means seven-year olds will willingly fight zombies!"

I'm using evidence that exists to back up an argument of mine. It's how you prove a point, in case you didn't know.
The evidence has nothing to do with what you're trying to present.
I mean, if you were in my position, how would you try and back up my point?
I would CONCEDE THE CASE AND PRESERVE MY DIGNITY.
The most logical thing to do would be to find and see if people like him ever existed, and if you couldn't find that then you do the next best thing and find evidence to show that such a person can exist.

Which you've failed at.

I have already done so, but all my explanations just seem to go over your head.
So I'm stupid now. Nice. If I'm the Frontline journalist then I suppose that'd make you Rush Limbaugh.
made him seven because I thought that would be the youngest age a child soldier could be, but such is irrelevant now anyway since I have already said I will make him be older, and this is now the third time I am saying this. He will be 12, which is three years older than Gutt's
Gutt's what? Who's Gutt? Why does this matter in ANY WAY?
was in his first battle as a mercenary, and even Gutt's managed to kill some people in his first battle with only three years of battle training.
TWELVE. OKAY. SHEER LUCK COULD LEAD TO THAT. I DO NOT MIND TWELVE PARTICULARLY.

I already said I was going to make him older AFTER HE COMPLAINED THE FIRST TIME, and as stated above, he is now 12. I've just been arguing about young child soldiers since then and I don't know why he keeps bringing back up the fact that he is seven when I already said I would change his age.

You never specified what TO. As you aren't exactly helping to give me a high opinion of your personal character...

A more pressing matter I think is his dialogue in the screen you posted. Regardless of age, I wouldn't expect such an outburst, but more coldness/stunted emotions from having such a terrible life so far. And the supports would have a lot of potential.

A more pressing matter I think is his dialogue in the screen you posted. Regardless of age, I wouldn't expect such an outburst, but more coldness/stunted emotions from having such a terrible life so far. And the supports would have a lot of potential.

Yeti's spot on with this thing here. And I agree with 12 being a fine age, 11 if you really want him to be younger.

Like, if their entire life had been made for fighting, they REALLY wouldn't have emotions for anything. They'd be speechless death machines, who were tailored to kill people. Heck, his death quote would probably just be an ellipse.

Otherwise, go nuts. Supports could probably open up who he is other than the killer, but, you'd have to word them right, or they'd seem ridiculously OoC.

MARTIAL ARTS ISN'T FIGHTING YOU SOD

Have you ever herped so much that you derped? If you haven't, then you just did just to let you know. Here is a small quote from Eliwood's B support with Lyn: "Eliwood: I don’t know any ladies skilled in the martial arts." You really need to calm down if you are so angry that you are making clearly retarded comments like that.

Were these people fighting to the death at any point at the age of seven?

That doesn't change the point of the statement I made. Based on your above comment, you clearly know nothing about martial arts.

HE. IS. SEVEN.WHAT?! WHAT DO YOU MEAN, YOU PSYCHOPATH?!

I mean exactly what I say. If someone grows up only knowing war and taught that killing is a game and fun to do, would you really say they are "scarred"?

BECAUSE HE HAS NO ALTERNATIVE, AND IF HE OBJECTS HE IS NEXT FOR THE BLOOD HARVEST. MAGIC MUTATO MAN CAN HIDE WITH THE ARMY AND, Y'KNOW, NOT FIGHT.

I don't recall that being part of the story of The Lottery. And he can hide in the army if he wants, but he wants to fight, and even then you can prevent him from doing so.

Yes, how does having real combat experience?

And you don't seem to realise he's seven. Seven is young. Assuming he's been fighting for approximately, oh, let's say zero years...

But he hasn't been fighting for zero years.

It's called fight or flight.

Flight leads to death in his case.

*COUGH*stu*COUGH*

It can't be helped. The only thing special about him that makes him a stu is that he was just born as being a top tier human like Usain Bolt.

It should make sense in and of itself.

And it does?

The words of a dedicated and hard-working writer.

This sends so many mixed messages... I've seen so many people complain before about giving minor characters too much back story before.

So I'm a bullshit artist, hence I'm conservative. Nice generalisation. Almost sounds like something a Fox News celebrity might say.

No... You're spinning my words, something fox news analysts often do, and I never called you conservative nor hinted at the fact. And I never even said anything about you being an artist either, so I don't know why you would bring that up.

Oh, no. I misspelt 'non fucking sequitur'. Do you really want me to pull out each and every one of YOUR errors?

I don't really think I have made any spelling errors and I wasn't trying to say you misspelled the word. I was just posting the definition...

"Herp I'm nine and I can do squats"

"Wow, that means seven-year olds will willingly fight zombies!"

It means you aren't potentially lacking in physical strength.

The evidence has nothing to do with what you're trying to present.

I'm pretty sure it does. The only thing you are looking at is the fact that he is young, but you aren't thinking about what young people can do. It's pretty amazing what they can do.

I would CONCEDE THE CASE AND PRESERVE MY DIGNITY.

Something I already technically did in my first response to what you said, but I felt I had an argument I could make so that it didn't seem so far-fetched.

Which you've failed at.

How have I failed at doing so? I've given mental comparisons to other FE characters who you could say are similar to him mentally. I've given similar physical comparisons based on real people. What do you want me to say? Oh wait, you just want me to bend over and argue with you.

So I'm stupid now. Nice.

If it goes over your head, it goes over your head. It happens, it doesn't mean you're stupid.

Gutt's what? Who's Gutt? Why does this matter in ANY WAY?

:facepalm: If you knew who he was, you would know why I used him as a comparison. I'm guessing you don't read a lot of manga/watch a lot of anime?

You never specified what TO.

Assuming you are talking about the age change, I never specified since I wasn't sure yet. I even asked what you think I should change his age too but you ignored that...

I'm going to change it now since I made him older. It probably wouldn't be worth the effort since he's a minor character (By which I mean I don't feel like a character like him should get so much attention, especially since you have to pick between him or the fighter so you might not even end up recruiting him), but I could make it so that his death quote changes depending on where in the game he dies so you could say he becomes more emotional as the game progresses.

:facepalm: If you knew who he was, you would know why I used him as a comparison. I'm guessing you don't read a lot of manga/watch a lot of anime?

This made me laugh. Don't use manga/anime as a comparison when you're also trying to argue using reality as one of your main points. Manga/anime is far from real, in MANY cases. It just makes you seem silly. If you can find real life comparisons, use them, not manga/anime.

And before you say, "But I already have" or something akin to that, I know, and they're pretty good points, hence why I've stopped arguing and am now just laughing at the two of you go. Just sayin' for future reference that throwing manga/anime into an argument as a point when you've already tried to argue with real life is pretty silly.

Edited by seph1212

To be totally honest, I agree with BM on this. While I don't think that either of you are making very good arguments, it's certainly possible for a young, skilled child who grew up fighting to defeat some drunkard.

On the OTHER hand, making him one of the best units in the game is just... no.

Have you ever herped so much that you derped? If you haven't, then you just did just to let you know. Here is a small quote from Eliwood's B support with Lyn: "Eliwood: I don’t know any ladies skilled in the martial arts." You really need to calm down if you are so angry that you are making clearly retarded comments like that.

Martial is in the archaic sense related to war, yes. In the modern sense, to my knowledge at least, it isn't going to do you much good in a fight.

As for the rest, 12 works, as I've stated. And honestly, even if you spin on a dime and change it back, I don't have the heart to become emotionally invested in this thread.

Just a quick footnote (Cam's random trivia time!): Martial arts in the modern sense won't do you a whole lotta good actually ATTACKING the man with a sword, but it sure as hell will buy you a few seconds.

This made me laugh. Don't use manga/anime as a comparison when you're also trying to argue using reality as one of your main points. Manga/anime is far from real, in MANY cases. It just makes you seem silly. If you can find real life comparisons, use them, not manga/anime.

And before you say, "But I already have" or something akin to that, I know, and they're pretty good points, hence why I've stopped arguing and am now just laughing at the two of you go. Just sayin' for future reference that throwing manga/anime into an argument as a point when you've already tried to argue with real life is pretty silly.

He wasn't accepting realistic points, so I used fictional points from a series that was at one point very similar to Fire Emblem's setting (and probably still is in a way). I see what you are trying to say, but at the same time, they are works of fiction, and in this case the line can be a bit hard to draw IMO. Fire Emblem is a pretty realistic series in a sense, but it's still pretty out there.

Just a quick footnote (Cam's random trivia time!): Martial arts in the modern sense won't do you a whole lotta good actually ATTACKING the man with a sword, but it sure as hell will buy you a few seconds.

No, I'm pretty sure it could help you out a lot more than you think. My dad used to do Aikido all the time and he thought it was pretty useless until he actually meet an expert at it who just flung guys around like it was nothing. I also met a guy who got mugged by a gang of six people (some with knives) and he fucked their shit up (but he was a master so...). With something like martial arts, both modern and "new" (whatever the heck that even means anyway), it can be hard to draw the line between reality and fiction given how often it shows up in media and how unbelievable it can be even in real life. But I do agree that attacking would probably be somewhat foolish and that it would be better to take a defensive stance.

No, I'm pretty sure it could help you out a lot more than you think. My dad used to do Aikido all the time and he thought it was pretty useless until he actually meet an expert at it who just flung guys around like it was nothing. I also met a guy who got mugged by a gang of six people (some with knives) and he fucked their shit up (but he was a master so...). With something like martial arts, both modern and "new" (whatever the heck that even means anyway), it can be hard to draw the line between reality and fiction given how often it shows up in media and how unbelievable it can be even in real life. But I do agree that attacking would probably be somewhat foolish and that it would be better to take a defensive stance.

Speaking as someone who actually has a black belt himself, knives are a completely different deal than swords. With a knife, he at least has to get within arm's distance from you to actually wound you (unless he throws it). As opposed to a sword, with which a guy can strike you from at least one-and-two-thirds arms' distance away from you. See the difference? Against the knife, you can actually block him by catching his arm, whereas against the sword you ain't blocking that without getting up unless your arms are obscenely long. I can probably beat up four guys simultaneously armed with knives, but I can't beat someone with a sword. I can fling people around fairly easily as well (though I'm not physically powerful enough to do it effortlessly). The only thing I can really do against a sword is try to DODGE the damn thing, and even though I'm a fairly agile guy, it's harder than FE makes it look.

And just FYI, "martial arts" in the medieval sense refers to any form of fighting. Meaning that swordplay and fisticuffs counted. "Modern" or "new" martial arts are in the more widely-used sense, the kind that you and I wrote tl;dr paragraphs on.

Edited by Camtech075

I know i never was on this topic before but i played this patch and saw 2 things:

1:the bandits description in chapter 1 is Set message speed fast.

2:one village suicides in chapter 1 when you visit it

I know i never was on this topic before but i played this patch and saw 2 things:

1:the bandits description in chapter 1 is Set message speed fast.

2:one village suicides in chapter 1 when you visit it

I'm well aware of both problems, but thanks for the input. I think I can only fix half of problem 2.

EDIT: I can fix problem 1. The FE8 Character module seems to have a problem where it only shows one byte for the character description instead of 2.

Edited by Blademaster!

43537660.png76464843.png70015303.png

41160863.png20596097.png77198982.png

44534710.png88468112.png90154414.png

91224280.png24704917.png

Behold! The first glimpse of the reworked support system! Out of the 58 total playable characters that will show up, 54 of them will have supports (the last 4 all join you too late). The next patch will have supports for all characters that show up in the patch, but the support previews are all finished, so you should look forward to finding those characters at one point or another during the course of the hack, but not necessarily in the next patch. In total, there should be 417 supports, if I have done my math right, by the time the hack is completed, meaning I will be brain dead when this is done. Hopefully players will be kind enough to read them...

Don't expect the next patch anytime soon though. I still have to finish events for four more chapters and do all the text for them, plus supports, boss quotes, and death quotes.

Also, if you played the first demo, you may notice some of the mugs have been updated. As I progress, I will fix up more mugs. Jorwell in particular I want to fix from the ones above, but I haven't thought of anything yet.

NOTE: Myrrh's map sprite will soon be switched with Fae's.

I'm trying to only use FE6/7 colors (though civilian mugs still use FE8 colors since I didn't edit them), and I'm fairly certain every mug should be using those colors, though I could have made a few mistakes. Are there any mugs in particular that stick out has having FE8 colors to you?