Fire Emblem: Sun God's challenge

Blademaster!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Get someone way better than me to fix your mugs. I can do the really glaring stuff. Maybe.

2. Stuff that sticks out:

- Evan's headband and undershirt

- Astrea's headband (though this could be because that shade of red and that shade of yellow should never be near each other, unless it's a hot dog)

- Something about Derek's hair and armor colors seems weird

The third thing of note is that Zonta is the first mug I've seen in this hack whose color scheme does not make my eyes bleed.

Edited by eclipse

Zonta is the first mug I've seen in this hack whose color scheme does not make my eyes bleed.

In general color scheme problems? That's a first. I like all the color schemes...

And I'm surprised people are referring to that mug as Zonta considering I only used the shoulder pads from his mug. You'd think Ephraim's face and hair would stick out more.

You've got red + green. They don't play well, unless you're doing a picture of an apple tree. You've also got bright yellow + kinda-darkish red, which looks rather awkward (namely Astrea, but Nicole sorta suffers from this as well). My personal favorite scheme is Nerid, but it seems. . .too much the same.

If you want to see how color works, go look at the FE7 mugs (and ignore Eliwood's hair). You don't necessarily have to make the colors exactly the same, but try not to go for too many bright colors on the same person.

In general color scheme problems? That's a first.

Make it a second.

And I'm surprised people are referring to that mug as Zonta considering I only used the shoulder pads from his mug. You'd think Ephraim's face and hair would stick out more.

I was only 95% sure of Ephraim...besides, Ephraim is Kelik. I try to keep the specifics of my material only moderately stale.

try not to go for too many bright colors on the same person.

I guess I just really like bright colors...

Ephraim is Kelik.

Crap, I forgot about that.

Anyway...

Some pics of chapters 5 and 6 finally.

15443416.png66877682.png49493124.png

51155457.png23755758.png64031624.png

59615436.png69399071.png98386375.png

NOTE: The next demo will have all mugs originally from FE8 using FE6/7 colors. I just didn't edit them yet at the time of these pics.

The chapter 5 map (the one where it is raining aka the center one) was made by Aurawolf! It's a really great map that's part of a very challenging chapter! The rain will come in and out, but...

The chapter 6 map isn't as tough as chapter 5, but if you are careless, it can be a pretty annoying one.

Another thing worth mentioning is giving credit to Dr. Sholes for his mug that shows up in the bottom right hand corner!

I just have to do the text for the remaining eight chapters along with the supports for all the characters showing up in this demo and I'll release the next patch.

• 3 weeks later...

v21k.pngv22f.pngv23h.png

v24o.pngv25r.pngv26k.png

v27f.pngv28.pngv29.png

New images! Yay...

I've pretty much finished everything for the next demo. The only thing I need to do is the support conversations for the patch and some last minute touch ups. That said, I AM CURRENTLY RECRUITING ANOTHER PLAYTESTER (or two)! Xiltas and I are too busy at the moment to really do it, and I could use more feedback while I write the supports. That said,

Nerid, who was a female hero in the first demo, is now a female pirate thanks to Serenes Forest member Sploder's female pirate sheet and map sprite that he kindly lets anyone use! Because she is now a female pirate, her stats are around the same, but she is now lvl 11 and has lower growths. She still promotes into a female hero though.

I've also added palettes to characters who previously didn't have any like Fang, the chapter 1 boss.

Oh, and all FE8 mugs now use FE7 colors since I never liked the dark colors FE8 used.

Oh hell yes.

(if you do a cameo like Der Langrisser did, you would be a god)

I don't know what Der Langrisser is. From a quick google search, seems to be a RPG? What is the cameo that they did?

Isn't that guy from BoF2?

Yes, as is some of the music in the hack.

I don't know what Der Langrisser is. From a quick google search, seems to be a RPG? What is the cameo that they did?

It's a very good SRPG.

I mistook the sprite for Cho Aniki, one of the characters from the developers who created Der Langrisser. Der Langrisser had many extra chapters/maps which were completely separate from the main story, and are more like easter eggs. In one, you go through doing a quiz of the development team, answering what was across from their offices during development, and other like things. In another, an entirely other series invades, trying to take over the world. The Muscle-Love armadiers, Samson and co. It's really quite a kick. Especially as these giant muscle-builders just plow your armies in battle.

(auto-youtube on the forums doesn't properly link to times, check it at 4:40, 13:27 for battle-footage, end of previous video for their "theatrical entrance")

Edited by Celice

Wow, it's actually quite coincidental that I have three "body builders" like them on that chapter. Except they aren't trying to take over the world.

But the muscle men in this hack aren't there to kill the player. They're meant to stop you from advancing past certain plot points without doing something you are supposed to do first. I think I made it so that if by some miracle you kill one, you get a game over.

Well, wave goodbye to any prospect of immersion, then.

How so? In one chapter, they are used so that you don't beat the chapter too fast since without them it is an otherwise short chapter. In another planned chapter, they are used to prevent you from killing all the enemies on a map before a group of reinforcements arrive.

It's a gameplay element similar to the system found in FE4 where you conquered one castle at a time, except they only show up in three chapters at the moment, and only one of them is in the next demo.

And the fact that they take the form of bodybuilders that don't conform to the style of the rest of the game around them. It's like the Shareware Daemon, only not entertaining. And unavoidable. In a game that isn't, to my knowledge, comedic.

v210.pngv211.pngv212.png

v213s.pngv214i.pngv215c.png

v216.pngv217o.pngv218v.png

The last bunch of images before the next patch! All that is left is character balancing, difficulty tweaking, and supports, and the next patch shall be released!

And the best part of the next patch? It gives you the option to crash the game if you wish.

v219.png

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it has been a while since I last really updated anything. Maybe. Anyway, I figured I would say something since FEE3 has now passed and I didn't say much over the course of the event. So...

All in all, the next patch is ready. The only reasons it hasn't been released is because I wanted to do all the support conversations for the next demo, and because I wanted more feedback from my play testers. But, due to work, I decided that I will not finish all of the supports for the next demo. Instead, I'm going to try and do as many supports as I can before the next release date, which will be August 5th, unless something horrible happens.

With that said, the following is my impression of my video at FEE3:

If anyone by some chance knows how to skip the world map in FE8, I will worship you as my god. Everything I have tried has not worked, and pisses me off so much, that it almost makes me want to stop working on this hack.

I love BoF music too, but it disapoints me that it still doesn't sound as good.

Can't believe I never noticed that typo in fledglings considering how many times I've probably played the prologue...

I like the FE6 Merc animation over the FE7. That's the only reason I used the FE6 one and not the FE7/FE8 one.

And it's interesting to see a different person actually play chapter 1 for once other than myself. The strategy Seph used was much better than mine. I'll have to start raising the difficulty more.

That said, I made some minor changes to the gameplay:

v31.pngv32.pngv33d.png

v34.pngv35.png

v36d.pngv37.png

Image 1: I changed the fencer map sprite's colors a bit so that it has blond hair now. I remembered I could do this after looking at the stuff for Dream Of Five.

Image 2: I removed the village that destroyed itself when you visited it as seen in the FEE3 demo. I have no idea why that village wouldn't work, considering the others would.

Image 3: The boss of chapter one is now stronger, as is the boss of chapter 2, though that chapter wasn't demo'd.

Image 4: As are the generic enemies for chapters 1, 2, and 4. This image is from chapter 1.

Image 5: Don't try and use the shops on the world map. I wouldn't.

Image 6: Fado Kuroth, a fairly important antagonist in this hack, as some of you who have played the demo may know. His personality and lines are based off of The Humungus from Mad Max 2/The Road Warrior (except he isn't gay?). I've actually done similar things like this with a couple other characters, but not many. *Hint hint*

Image 7: I think Alice's palette wasn't working or something in the original demo so I fixed it.

As always, I'm still recruiting play testers for this hack if you are interested.

Last screenshot has a grammar problem, I think.

Right now it's "Show me what you can do kid", where it should be "Show me what you can do, kid."

Last screenshot has a grammar problem, I think.

Right now it's "Show me what you can do kid", where it should be "Show me what you can do, kid."

I guess it does? That seems like something that could use a comma. I'm not sure.

Well, the way you have it phrased would be if a line of this sort came beforehand (and even then I don't think it would be correct).

First guy: "You... You're the..."

Other guy: "Show-Me-What-You-Can-Do kid"

Which I'm sure isn't what you intended.