My Sprites (I'm new to hacking)

KingKomodo

So... Yeah. I just decided to post my new sprites up as I go and, just get some critic on them. So only 2 right now but... Yeah.

That's my entry to the Sprite contest 32

post-3382-064048200 1305766358_thumb.png

&

This is a guy I made for my Hack.

post-3382-013781600 1305766354_thumb.png

Edited by KingKomodo

Lrn2forumcode

Use the img tags (without the spaces of course) so we don't have to deal with thumbnails :V

So... Yeah. I just decided to post my new sprites up as I go and, just get some critic on them. So only 2 right now but... Yeah.

That's my entry to the Sprite contest 32

wtfisthisshit.png

It's obvious you don't understand how this works. The winner picks a set of 3, and we splice from that. Not only is that probably not the set, but also Contest 32 doesn't even exist.

e9552e1280121b58ca821a2fab91e330.png

Much better. Now, let's look at this. The ENTIRE left side of her shoulder is the 2nd shade. Ohgodwhy. Her bangs have the lightest shade touching the 3rd skin tone. AA on the face is wrong, her right shoulder has no AA whatsoever, and there's no shading where that thing going touches her hair.

EDIT: Google Chrome, you officially fail me.

Edited by Joerachi

It'd help more if you explained to him what Anti aliasing is, its clear that he's new to spriting. You've kindly critiqued one of his mugs(even if you did it terribly), I'm sure you wouldnt mind going a little more in depth.

Joerachi,

1. I know what the contests are and just look http://serenesforest...opic=25664&st=0, scroll down a bit, you'll see the set.

& 2. I know the shading is off, I mean come on, it's my 2nd sprite.. EVER

Also I don't see the AA problem, could you point it out?

Here's my (slightly) updated sprite

de2eb5ca5adc11ee8b748ed63a7bc375.png

Edited by KingKomodo

I didn't see that Tygr posted the set. DerpJoe. However, why did you post the 32 entry in the 31 thread? Wait until the actual threa--Wow ALS just posted it a few seconds ago.

And I don't care that it's your 2nd sprite ever. It's still bad.

wtfisthisshit.png

It's obvious you don't understand how this works. The winner picks a set of 3, and we splice from that. Not only is that probably not the set, but also Contest 32 doesn't even exist.

e9552e1280121b58ca821a2fab91e330.png

Much better. Now, let's look at this. The ENTIRE left side of her shoulder is the 2nd shade. Ohgodwhy. Her bangs have the lightest shade touching the 3rd skin tone. AA on the face is wrong, her right shoulder has no AA whatsoever, and there's no shading where that thing going touches her hair.

And I don't care that it's your 2nd sprite ever. It's still bad.

Whoa, look at me, I can stick a head onto a different body, that gives me the right to be snotty and insulting, ho boy.

Tone it down and be less of a douche, Joe. People will be more accepting of your crit, and won't argue with you as much. And if they do, hey, then they're in the wrong.

Just don't be rude, 'K?

Komodo, as for what he's said (as rude as it is), most of it's right. The parts you've put together don't really fit, and it looks like some of the parts have just been cut off at points.

But, hey, this is your second sprite, like you've said, so I'm sure you'll get better as you practice more.

And, if you don't like how Joe acts, just tell him to stop, and if he doesn't, ask a mod to get rid of him. It's not fair for someone to be so rude to someone who's just starting.

Edited by seph1212

I now see the HUGE AA prob in the hair, don't ask me how I missed it.. I don't know. But the main prob is getting the AA to look good with only 16 colors.

Edited by KingKomodo

Guest Wen Yang

3-shades for lighter colors/hair and 2-shades for dark clothing colors usually work well enough in 16-color mugs.

maybe you might want to reference the FE mugs for examples, specifically, the ones you used as ingredients for the mug. That's how I do most of my initial shading corrections.

9fe706f386e29dfd06d4a51f3c5f2991.png

I'd like to address this poor girl's lack of cranium.

...and then I'd like to address the fact her face is shaped like home plate, and that her body is blobbing every-which-way - not to mention that the hair seems to have turned to a ribboned potato atop her head.

try starting with simpler splices, things like putting a different head with a different type of armor, keeping everything properly proportioned. Don't try too much custom stuff (free hand) right away.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, now I've been off a while, and I thought I'd put stuff up like this 29ce4545f683360f60b256082a106ce7.png It's for the icon contest (yes, I am obsessed with contests)gee_wiz_emoticon.gif it was going to be a saddle, but... Well, I changed it to a hat.laugh.gif

Next up is a staff I made, I dont' know what it's supposed to look like or be, I was bored. b45d426b7594d71059dd3f0837fa0ff8.png

Also, Jealousy, thanks for the tips. (and just for lolz) I've got to say, I'm Jealous of your work. *place rimshot sound here*

Edited by KingKomodo

It looks kinda weird for a hat. There really isn't anything wrong with it per se, but the middle part is lower than the edges, which I find sorta weird. Iunno. The staff looks fine, not much else to say really, lol.

A WIP Map, hows it going, advice, what?

a06889d58ad9ec9a84f3f0dd967b654e.png

Pretty much major tile spam. I think that you're coming back to it, and so that's why it's like that...

Although it isn't too bad.

Also, Jealousy, thanks for the tips. (and just for lolz) I've got to say, I'm Jealous of your work. *place drum comedian sounds here*

6be909a6e7ee3b06939e9a4c543e6664.png

Also, that's what's known as a 'rimshot.'

Muggingness --

2e580d7ae8944750b1ff3e60c30d2a5b.png

Shaping problems everywhere, especially in the hair and armor, where they've been shrunk. A tip for shrinking: don't use the resize/transform feature. Grab a chunk, then manually resize it by moving it around with the arrow keys or the mouse. Don't do the select/drag/resize bit. There are multiple skin and hair tones that need to be recolored and consolidated. Also, because his hair no longer has Heath's white tuft, it's no longer necessary for you to shade with two colors + darkest skin tone. Use a third hair tone instead.

I've provided something of a quick example for hair shading.

The armor is also off-angle, especially because Harken is mostly a front-facing sprite, whereas the angle for this mug is turned a lot farther. In case of details, things should become smaller when turned at an angle; not larger. The curve of his breastplate should also cover part of the far pauldron, rather than vice-versa.

The shading needs to be majorly cleaned up, or otherwise shaded more in some areas.

Fixed out the sprite, got rid of a few major kinks, also took Jealousy's example hair, and added it. (If that's OK) and worked out the other stuff they pointed out.

a568f04d57b5a5174f4959b7f1c0b4a1.png

Edited by KingKomodo

Well, I don't mind, really, but I would appreciate it if you used it more as reference rather than the real thing. You won't learn a thing about hair shading if you don't do it for yourself. that being said, the bottom bit of his mullet works a bit better, but seems kind of overly rigid.

2f28eb10efd265e7d775d0879cf7a87d.png

Not the best redlining, but it should give a general idea.