any good anime dubs?

aizengard

i've been wanting to watch a new anime but i cant find a good dub. i saw episode one of the fairy tail dub and it sucked so i need to find a good dub. i dont mind watching a subbed anime but i have to be in the mood to watch it subbed. i like horror comidy fantasy and action. i hate vamp romance and echi (i hate echi more then i hate vamp romance anime).

Did you watch Code Geass ( I know it is not new but it IS the best Anime I have ever seen) ?

I only watched a few episodes of 'Nura : Rise of the Yoki clan and I liked it.

Edited by Flint Echo

I've only ever bothered to watch one anime, so I don't know if my opinion is all that reliable, but how about Death Note? It's obnoxiously popular (for good reason), but if you haven't already seen it, I would highly recommend it. The dubbing is very good.

Well, this is my topic.

It should be noted that FUNimation's dub of Fairy Tail is not out yet, so what you saw is the Animax dub, and their dubs are not intended for fluent English-speaking audiences in the first place. They are bound to be bad by our standards.

As previously stated, the Death Note and Code Geass dubs are both very good.

Some other shows I would say have very good dubs:

Ah! My Goddess

Air

Baccano!

Black Lagoon

Canaan

Cowboy Bebop

Elfen Lied

Full Metal Panic!

Fullmetal Alchemist (both)

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Gunslinger Girl

Highschool of the Dead (I have not heard all of it, but it's great from what I have)

Kanon 2006

Rumbling Hearts

Mushishi

Ouran High School Host Club

Samurai Champloo

School Rumble

Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit

Shuffle!

Soul Eater

Spice and Wolf

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Gurren Lagann

Welcome to the NHK!

Take your pick.

• 3 months later...

Well, this is my topic.

It should be noted that FUNimation's dub of Fairy Tail is not out yet, so what you saw is the Animax dub, and their dubs are not intended for fluent English-speaking audiences in the first place. They are bound to be bad by our standards.

As previously stated, the Death Note and Code Geass dubs are both very good.

Some other shows I would say have very good dubs:

Ah! My Goddess

Air

Baccano!

Black Lagoon

Canaan

Cowboy Bebop

Elfen Lied

Full Metal Panic!

Fullmetal Alchemist (both)

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Gunslinger Girl

Highschool of the Dead (I have not heard all of it, but it's great from what I have)

Kanon 2006

Rumbling Hearts

Mushishi

Ouran High School Host Club

Samurai Champloo

School Rumble

Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit

Shuffle!

Soul Eater

Spice and Wolf

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Gurren Lagann

Welcome to the NHK!

Take your pick.

I'll second Cowboy Bebop, FMA, GitS, and Highschool of the Dead. The last one was a fantastic manga too, if I recall.

• 3 weeks later...

This was not a good way to introduce yourself to me.

Yes. Yes, there is.

Hi, I'm Higurashi_K1 and my opinions may disagree with yours!

I mean, yeah, there are some good English dubs of anime (Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Baccano!, Dragon Ball Z) but the vast majority of it usually turns me off. Also, a lot of dubs seem to lose a lot in sound quality (I'm an audio whore, can't help it) so I tend to avoid them unless the English voice acting is amazing.

(Also, personal encounters with weeaboos and nutcase anime fans have also turn me away from English dubs, but that's another story that is filled with hatred and the such.)

Clannad and Clannad After Story. They're pretty good.

I'm inclined to agree with this. My friend loved it. XD

I on the other hand, prefer the Japanese dub of it... I love Mai Nakahara's portrayal of Nagisa.

Ha ha, even led me to have a "cuuuuuuuute, awwwww" view of Estelle from Tales of Vesperia. The her formal style of speech and the way she says "Desu" for those characters are just... ha ha.

But yeah, Clannad had a pretty good dub. Though the "Chain Combo" Scene was vastly superior in the Japanese version by a LONG SHOT

• 5 weeks later...

I'm inclined to agree with this. My friend loved it. XD

I on the other hand, prefer the Japanese dub of it... I love Mai Nakahara's portrayal of Nagisa.

Ha ha, even led me to have a "cuuuuuuuute, awwwww" view of Estelle from Tales of Vesperia. The her formal style of speech and the way she says "Desu" for those characters are just... ha ha.

But yeah, Clannad had a pretty good dub. Though the "Chain Combo" Scene was vastly superior in the Japanese version by a LONG SHOT

Yeah I pretty much came when I heard the ultra manly voices in the Clannad dub. Especially Kyou, holy fuck.

I thought the Kanon 2006 dub was mediocre. Nayuki and Kaori sounded like valley girls and Chris Patton didn't bring out the charm in Yuuichi's personality.

I did enjoy what I heard from the Clannad After Story dub, except the terrible pronunciations they used for "Tomoya" and "Nagisa."

Edited by Morita Kenichi

I thought the Kanon 2006 dub was mediocre. Nayuki and Kaori sounded like valley girls and Chris Patton didn't bring out the charm in Yuuichi's personality.

Which is why Tomokazu Sugita is awesome on that one.

The one thing that I want to know, is what they did for the "Ore" and "Boku" discussion in the dub... TVTropes "Translation Induced Plot Hole" or something like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzgJWcejp4c

I guess I'll never know.

The a huge version of this would be when honorifics is a big thing in the plot, like Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle. "Syao" as a nickname instead of just play "Syaoran" for "Syaoran-kun" made me.... cringe.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I did enjoy what I heard from the Clannad After Story dub, except the terrible pronunciations they used for "Tomoya" and "Nagisa."

Usually people are the other way around. People like the Kanon dub but think Clannad's is mediocre, which I mostly agree with. I don't know how you can even have a problem with Chris Patton, haha. He's perfect for that part.

Usually people are the other way around. People like the Kanon dub but think Clannad's is mediocre, which I mostly agree with. I don't know how you can even have a problem with Chris Patton, haha. He's perfect for that part.

Really?

Chris Patton wasn't bad, I just thought he didn't do an exceptional job either. The voices for most of the girls turned me off though.

I only saw a couple of After Story clips, but I liked them. It was my first time hearing Andrew Love, and he was great as Akio. Supposedly Kyou's voice wasn't well received or something like that, but that's all I can remember about specific complaints concerning the dub. (Besides the aforementioned name pronunciations)

Which is why Tomokazu Sugita is awesome on that one.

The one thing that I want to know, is what they did for the "Ore" and "Boku" discussion in the dub... TVTropes "Translation Induced Plot Hole" or something like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzgJWcejp4c

I guess I'll never know.

The a huge version of this would be when honorifics is a big thing in the plot, like Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle. "Syao" as a nickname instead of just play "Syaoran" for "Syaoran-kun" made me.... cringe.

Haha, I love that scene. I don't think I watched the dub version during that part, should check it out sometime since I have the dvds.

And yeah, Tomokazu is the man, definitely one of my favorite seiyuus.

Edit: Aww, crap. Sorry about the double post.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

• 1 month later...

Clannad and Clannad After Story. They're pretty good.

Clannad was the best, both subbed and dubbed. My favorite episode in After Story was when Tomoya and all the Furukawas found out that

Nagisa was pregnant

. Akio's face was just too good lol ^_^

Edited by Red Fox of Fire
Spoiler