Lucius, Erk, or Canas?

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better magic user?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only doubt it on Lucius if LHM training isn't in play.

Well, Lucius does get C staves when he promotes, despite joining at (essentially) the same time 4 levels behind.

I've recently started playing this game and as far as I've gotten... I haven't reached Canas yet but Lucius has by far been the most helpful for me.

I've recently started playing this game and as far as I've gotten... I haven't reached Canas yet but Lucius has by far been the most helpful for me.

So... Lucius has been useful for the chapter you recruited him in? Because you get Canas in the very next map (if you manage to get the side quest).

Yeah I started with Lyn. I actually am in that chapter where you get Lucius again though =o

But then I was unprepared for so much enemies trying to kill my Merlinus so I had to keep his defenders alive and then after the retry Raven died when I COULDA GOTTEN HIM THE NEXT TURN!!!! ;-:

Thats kind of a tough question because all three guys have their good points. Erk and Lucius have Lyn mode to boost their levels if you so choose. Canas does come at around level 8 if i recall. By that time, even if you leveled Lucius enough, hed be around level 7 so Canas does have a level on him. (usually) Erk, its kinda the same story. I personally think its really up to preference. I voted Canas because when i do use him, he ends up being pretty damn useful in the long run. Erk can use Bolting though and thats a plus. (if you dont want to use Pent. Some people dont. *shrug*) Nino beats em all statwise but her join time is against her in the worst way.

Canas definitely helps clear 19x Armors and can hurt the Mages considerably at base with some Fiora and Florina dropping, as demonstrated by dondon in his 0% growth playthrough. He gains about 1.75 levels from it too (Keep in mind he can only kill the Elfire Mage out of the mages.). I don't know if Lucius and Erk near 1HKO'd, since SOMEBODY doesn't have 19X's HHM stats. >:C

Canas definitely helps clear 19x Armors and can hurt the Mages considerably at base with some Fiora and Florina dropping, as demonstrated by dondon in his 0% growth playthrough. He gains about 1.75 levels from it too (Keep in mind he can only kill the Elfire Mage out of the mages.). I don't know if Lucius and Erk near 1HKO'd, since SOMEBODY doesn't have 19X's HHM stats. >:C

Certainly not. The Javelin Knights have only 14 or 15ATK, which is far off being able to 1HKO Lucius or Erk even assuming they're at base level, and they won't be. A level 11 Erk also has enough ATK with Thunder to double and ORKO all of the Knights and some of the mages (he's a little bit shaky on 2HKOing and doubling, since they can proc 7RES or 8SPD). Lucius is a little bit worse off, since while he doubles more reliably, it's a lot harder for him to reach 18ATK with only a Lightning tome. He needs level 16 to ORKO the Mages and level 11 to ORKO the Knights.

Canas

Pro: Has access to Luna, on average has more durability than Erk and 1-2 more points in magic; arriving late might be good for experience ranking.

Con: Most expensive magic to use; last unpromoted mage you recieve (ignoring nino); less speed than Erk

Erk

Pro: Early access; has lyn training period; a few points behind canas in stats except speed

Cons: no real outstanding qualities other than early access

Lucius

Pro: High magic and Speed; C staff upon promotion; lyn training period

Con: Later access, 2nd most expensive magicks,

I would go with Lucius for the long run. He starts out with better base stats than Erk in areas that matter for a mage. And the growth stats will put his similar to Erk or better. He starts off with a C rank staff which means he is more useful. Give Lucius a few C/D ranks staves to raise it to B rank and he can use physics with good effect due to his magic stat.

Start out with Erk until you get Lucius. To compensate for Lucius's late arrival, just give him more experience than Erk in lyn's mode. This helps in ranked runs too since the low level Erk will get you more experience and if you got lucius level right in Lyn's mode he will not be overpowered to suck up experience nor too low on levels when you get him.

Canas is a mixed bag.

Canas

Pro: Has access to Luna, on average has more durability than Erk and 1-2 more points in magic; arriving late might be good for experience ranking.

Con: Most expensive magic to use; last unpromoted mage you recieve (ignoring nino); less speed than Erk

Erk

Pro: Early access; has lyn training period; a few points behind canas in stats except speed

Cons: no real outstanding qualities other than early access

Lucius

Pro: High magic and Speed; C staff upon promotion; lyn training period

Con: Later access, 2nd most expensive magicks,

I would go with Lucius for the long run. He starts out with better base stats than Erk in areas that matter for a mage. And the growth stats will put his similar to Erk or better. He starts off with a C rank staff which means he is more useful. Give Lucius a few C/D ranks staves to raise it to B rank and he can use physics with good effect due to his magic stat.

Start out with Erk until you get Lucius. To compensate for Lucius's late arrival, just give him more experience than Erk in lyn's mode. This helps in ranked runs too since the low level Erk will get you more experience and if you got lucius level right in Lyn's mode he will not be overpowered to suck up experience nor too low on levels when you get him.

Canas is a mixed bag.

As for favoring Lucius in Lyn mode, the issue is that he only has one Lightning tome to last him until chapter 10...

Canas is the most sturdy out of the three...plus access to Luna. But his major downfall is the cost of his tomes. Lucius has Staff upon promotion, but his tomes give out easily. Erk is probably the middle man in my opinion. I'd have to say Canas, he can be a good frontline unit, as well as long range.

As for favoring Lucius in Lyn mode, the issue is that he only has one Lightning tome to last him until chapter 10...

You can still get Lucius up to ~lv10 by the end of Lyn's chapters if you take a little bit more care to give him finishing kills.

You can still get Lucius up to ~lv10 by the end of Lyn's chapters if you take a little bit more care to give him finishing kills.

I say, that's quite the inflated level there. :/ Especially since generics come at level 3 at the highest in Lyn mode...

Edited by Metal King Slime

Most units you face Lyn's mode will be a class power of 3. Let us assume you only give Lucius lv 1 opponent kills.

5 kills ~ lv 4; 20 exp

4 kills ~ lv 5; 0 exp

6 kills ~ lv 6; 2 exp

8 kills ~ lv 7; 12 exp

9 kills ~ lv 8 2 exp

That's 32 uses of his light tome out of 35.

There are 3 bosses in ch. 7 (lv 5 shaman), ch.7x (lv 7 mercenary), ch.8 (lv 6 knight) that he can kill too. Even if Lucius is 3 levels above there is a minimum of at least 20 additional experience along with the boss bonus of 40 experience. 180 experience points as a nice low limit.

So, after all uses of his light tome, he is now at lv9; 82 exp.

That's not including a little bit more experience from defeating any lv 2 or lv 3 enemies or the soldiers with a class power of 2 which gives slightly more experience. There is even a thief to kill in Ch. 7x that gives a 20 exp. bonus. If you get Lucius's magic up he can kill the two promoted units you face in Lyn's mode.

So yes, it is entirely possible to get him to level 10 on a single lightning tome. Although, it is a lot of work to make sure you get the most usage out of that tome. Even if you are not that committed to giving him every boss kill, it is not a ton of work to get him to or near level 8 by the end of Lyn's mode on just generic units alone.