what should i do next in advance wars 1?

geozeldadude

so i've become a pretty big AW fan and have played through the main story of all of them. now i'm going back to replay them and am starting back with AW1 and trying to decide what i should do next. should i:

- S-rank normal mode? the first time through it was my first AW game and i only B ranked it.

- S-rank all the war room maps?

- normal runthrough of the advanced campaign?

any comments would be helpful. not looking to kill myself by trying to S rank advanced campaign.

Edited by geozeldadude

Depends how good you are. If you feel you've become an Advance Wars Master go for Advance Campaign. If you value your sanity just go for S ranking Campaign or something.

The first Advance Wars is my favorite out of all the Nintendo Wars series... it felt so equal, with out going too far into overpowered/useless units, and the COs retained their distinct individual uses which began to blur later on.

Maybe try out the GameBoy Wars series? I think the third one actually has its own campaign mode, which is where the tradition of story-driven maps began. Well, unless you count taking over the entire planet through maps as being a story XD I think one of them received a pretty complete translation patch just a year or so ago done by a fellow FE fan.

Edited by Celice

trying once more. surely someone has done this. my question is, in advance wars is S-ranking normal campaign mode easier or harder than S-ranking all the war room maps? i'm assuming a regular run-through of hard mode is harder than both of those. thanks in advance.

I personally find the War Maps a lot harder because the enemy not only has a great amount of land and properties but the map is usually slanted in their favour.

I say Advanced Campaign.

Advance Campaign can seem a little hard at times, but it's mostly just surviving the initial wave, or the first several turns, until you can get your leg in the door and start producing enough units to turn the tides of battle. I find it more fun than the War Room, since you still get the story alongside the missions, and you even get new maps to play now and then. Overall, it's just more fun. It's harder to S rank, I think, though, because you have to deal with the requirements of each chapter being different. In War Room, generally, you just have to keep the same strategy, but adjust it to your liking. You also can use whatever CO you want, which can also turn the tables. There's no predeployment... it's just a matter of eventually getting into the territory you need. Advance Campaign forces you to deal with what's coming at you, survive, then moveon. Under varying events, like FoW, survival, not losing property, or other stuffs.

S ranking the normal campaign can still be a bit annoying because of those issues. Especially when you realize, you can't just go back and fix the missions you didn't S-rank. You have to either keep a save and finish each chapter with S-ranks as you go, or let a non-S-rank slip by. In War Room, you can dally around and come back later to fix anything you didn't like. You can also abuse the CO Nell :P

Although, if you really wanted to discuss easiness, there is an in-game glitch where you can confuse the game into thinking the normal maps are actually being played in design mode... which allows you to delete units of the enemy. You can obviously use this to your advantage, in any map. If one would try and resort to this glitch, anyways...

Edited by Celice

i started S-ranking the war room maps, but as Celice mentioned it gets a little repetitive since there aren't any predeployment maps. so i think i'll S-rank both at the same time and just alternate when i get bored of doing one or the other. heh.

I'm not sure that I've ever really perfected Advance Wars.....

Someday I should go back and beat Eagle as Andy on the last episode of the advance campaign. Pretty sure that is where I decided I would never be the best Advance Wars player.

i'm wondering if it's theoretically possible to S-rank every map in the game with every character. for the easier maps it seems pretty likely, but i'm guessing it's probably not really possible for the harder maps.

For the campaign, sometimes some of the easier strategies to S-rank depend on using an exclusive CO for a map. War Room as well. I'm sure there's some COs who just lack anything special enough to be worth using (Sonja, cough). But at the same time...

I would think, personally, that it should be possible to S-rank a map regardless of your CO, and that certain COs will simply make the map easier to accomplish.

I'm not 100% certain about AW1, but I know in AW2 and AWDS, people have gotten 300 point S ranks on every War Room map with every CO. AW1 I suspect it's been done.

• 1 month later...

i ended up S-ranking normal campaign mode. didn't end up being too difficult, although i chose sami the whole way through and her missions are prob. harder than andy's or max's. also S-ranked quite a few of the war room maps and tried out adv campaign, although adv campaign looks like it's going to be more frustrating than fun. anyone know if the other adv wars' hard modes as hard as AW1's?

Dual Strike can be hard and easy at the same time. When you first jump into Dual Strike, after playing solo for awhile, sometimes the Dual CO gimmick can really mess you up, especially after an enemy just wipes you out with it. Then again, after that small hurdle, it can pretty much be the easiest Nintendo Wars game you ever played.

I always thought Super Famicom Wars seemed a bit hard. Maybe it was just tedious. Advance Wars 2 I think had the best difficulty next to Advance Wars though. You might want to go try that one out.