Fire Emblem: The Blessed Binding Blade

Peachy

Well, hi. I'm WINgull, and I'm a new member of the hacking community. </obvious intro>

So, what is this project?

Well, for my first hack, I wanted to try something simple, but still have fun trying to build it. There aren't many FE6 hacks around, so I thought "Why not base one on FE6?". So that's what I did.

The other part of my inspiration comes from watching Astra's (and Cam's) LP of Super Thracia. I then came up with the idea to create a hard game, possibly as hard as FE12 Lunatic. But, I suck at FE, so my view on hard is probably different from yours (Note, I'm looking for playtesters).

So, here came my project: The Blessed Binding Blade!.

So, what's up with this project?

Like I said above, this project was to try to make a hard game. During the development, I figured that I'd try to do some trolling as well. So, expect shenanigans from this game, and a lot.

Here are a few examples:

-Marcus joins with Paladin bases and growths

-Ellen, Saul and Yodel have zeros in all their stats, except Con, and 5% growth rates on all stats. The same can be said for dancers.

-Buffed growths for, mostly, everyone. Enjoy Karel with 255 growths in all stats (for his measly one level)

-Sealed Sword and "S" Ranks lack effectiveness on dragons

-Speaking of Dragons, Bolting and Thunder are effective on them. Fimbulvetr is now effective on fliers.

-Archers don't suck.

-Most characters have a buff in bases, some for troll reasons (Sofia and 30 luck).

-Crit Rate boost for Swordmasters, Berserkers, etc has been boosted to 45%.

I'm not fully done, so I am willing to take suggestions (as long as I can figure out how do to it).

FAQ

Why the Japanese version?

For two reasons:

1, for added strange-ness. (Note: I'm not saying that Japanese are strange)

2, if you've noticed in the Questions forum, I tend to struggle with FEditor. And because I'd like to add some other characters, I don't have to edit the text, because many SFers don't know Japanese.

So what else do you want to do?

Probably add some new PCs, like Guinivere and Gale. Possibly some others from the other GBA FEs. Maybe some original characters as well.

Some Screens

post-1789-056461200 1308014417_thumb.png

Horray! They're actually pretty annoying.

post-1789-042912700 1308014436_thumb.png

One of the many examples of a solid base buff.

post-1789-062079600 1308014468_thumb.png

Expect many little +1s, +2s or even +3s. Unless...

post-1789-098956600 1308014478_thumb.png

You're using one of these guys.

post-1789-032786500 1308014498_thumb.png

Marcus got old...fast.

post-1789-064291800 1308014554_thumb.png

Thany. One of the many trolled characters. Enjoy your flying utility now.

Download Link

Link to Patch

So, thanks for reading. I know that compared to some of the other hacks (like Elibian Nights, Yuri's Sidestory, Tactics Universe, Dream of Five, etc), Blessed Binding Blade may seem very simple. But I really hope that you'll give this a try.

Edited by WINgull

The other part of my inspiration comes from watching Astra's LP of Super Thracia.

Astra's LP of Super Thracia.

Astra's LP

What, I'm not a good enough co-host to even deserve mention?

Not everyone's broken. I only posted a few of the examples of the "lackluster" characters; there are many more. It wouldn't be a trollhack without having 75% of the cast nearly unusable.

All enemies have a boost of 5 to all of their bases, and some have a con boost of 5 as well. Enemy Growths have also been doubled.

Oh, and the bases of bosses have been doubled, making Murdock, Zephiel and Idoun (now that Legendary Weapons aren't effective against Manaketes) are huge tanks.

Enemy Growths have also been doubled.

Good thing I stopped trying Hard Mode at Ch2, that would've been pointless. This hack puts the "troll hack genre" to shame due to lack of playtesting/well thought out changes. It's just a lot of additions/substractions from bases and growths of units all over the place.

I would be a lot more inclined to call this (or any other) a "troll hack" if someone actually went through and changed the maps, events, etc. in a way that trolled people, instead of just making lazy reskins (yes, Mekkah, this includes that hack you have in your sig).

Good thing I stopped trying Hard Mode at Ch2, that would've been pointless. This hack puts the "troll hack genre" to shame due to lack of playtesting/well thought out changes. It's just a lot of additions/substractions from bases and growths of units all over the place.

Could one really expect anything more?

I would be a lot more inclined to call this (or any other) a "troll hack" if someone actually went through and changed the maps, events, etc. in a way that trolled people, instead of just making lazy reskins (yes, Mekkah, this includes that hack you have in your sig).

Since when is changing maps and events etc a requirement for "trolling"? Who died and made you king etc?

Oh, and the bases of bosses have been doubled, making Murdock, Zephiel and Idoun (now that Legendary Weapons aren't effective against Manaketes) are huge tanks.

I have problems with this. Simply because someone thinks that they can just add to bases and WHOOPS, hard game! Doubled boss stats and enemies that do sky high damage don't make for a hard game. It just reinforces the idea of crawling and buying a lot of weapons since yours will break faster now.

I have problems with this. Simply because someone thinks that they can just add to bases and WHOOPS, hard game! Doubled boss stats and enemies that do sky high damage don't make for a hard game. It just reinforces the idea of crawling and buying a lot of weapons since yours will break faster now.

Kinda of like Radiant Dawn's "hard mode" in the US. There wasn't anything hard about it. It was all stall not really think. "now you can't see the enemy's movement" "now the boss has higher stats". It wasn't like the prison chapter of PoR, where stealth is incorporated and the boss's higher stats made the game more of a race before time since the soldiers were always moving than just move forward and kill.

Kinda of like Radiant Dawn's "hard mode" in the US. There wasn't anything hard about it. It was all stall not really think. "now you can't see the enemy's movement" "now the boss has higher stats".

Actually, Radiant Dawn didn't give bonuses to bosses. It did give bonuses to regular enemies and reduce exp gain, however.

Personally, I think that Radiant Dawn's Hard Mode is fine. The enemies are tough, without being ridiculous, and I can't say it ever necessitated "stalling", except in 3-6.

It wasn't like the prison chapter of PoR, where stealth is incorporated and the boss's higher stats made the game more of a race before time since the soldiers were always moving than just move forward and kill.

I hated that chapter. It's annoying and tedious.

Actually, Radiant Dawn didn't give bonuses to bosses. It did give bonuses to regular enemies and reduce exp gain, however.

(Favorite Fire Emblem Game: Radiant Dawn) I can see why your defending RD :P:

Personally, I think that Radiant Dawn's Hard Mode is fine. The enemies are tough, without being ridiculous, and I can't say it ever necessitated "stalling", except in 3-6.

The same thing can be said about PoR ch. 23 as RD's 3-6.

I hated that chapter. It's annoying and tedious.

Yes it was tedious and I hated it too, but you have to admit it was challenging. What I'm trying to say is that there were more scenarios of difficulty in PoR than RD, and that these objectives should be used more often in Hacks than just the basics. But this hack is still young.

Edited by JosefLior

With my finals being completed now, I can focus more on this hack.

Here are somethings you might expect:

-2nd Tier cap changes, possibly to a universal value

-All trolling removed, unless it makes the game easier. I will be focusing on strictly making a hard-type hack now.

-New faces, including a certain Troubadour

-Thracia Fog of War

-Promotion Level changed

-Reduced Deployment Slots on all chapters

-Roy movement change

If anyone has any sugguestions, I'm open to all of them.

Also, would anyone be interested in playtesting the 2nd version?

(Favorite Fire Emblem Game: Radiant Dawn) I can see why your defending RD :P:

Yes, because it's a good game.

The same thing can be said about PoR ch. 23 as RD's 3-6.

You don't need to stall in Ch.23. In fact, there are very few PoR chapters where you can't just charge forward, because your units are just so durable and strong relative to the enemies.

Yes it was tedious and I hated it too, but you have to admit it was challenging. What I'm trying to say is that there were more scenarios of difficulty in PoR than RD, and that these objectives should be used more often in Hacks than just the basics. But this hack is still young.

Hacks are not supposed to be "challenging" or to have "variety". They are supposed to be fun. Sometimes, those go hand in hand. But being fun is far more important.

Wait a minute. There is no "supposed to." There's tons of Fire Emblem hacks which are meant to rip your balls off. There's some which are really, really well optimized where they don't feel like amateur garbage difficulty (Genealogy of Neir, you're so well placed <3 )

And that's just Fire Emblem. There's hacks and mods of every single kind of game. To say they're supposed to be one thing.... blarg

Wait a minute. There is no "supposed to." There's tons of Fire Emblem hacks which are meant to rip your balls off. There's some which are really, really well optimized where they don't feel like amateur garbage difficulty (Genealogy of Neir, you're so well placed <3 )

And that's just Fire Emblem. There's hacks and mods of every single kind of game. To say they're supposed to be one thing.... blarg

Yes, they are supposed to be one thing. Fun. As in, enjoyable for the player. Everything else is a means to that end. If Chapter 10 in PoR is tedious, and annoying, and nobody likes it, then it is a bad chapter and people should not seek to make similar stuff in their hacks for the sake of being original.

Edited by Anouleth

Not everyone finds that specific chapter tedious, annoying, and unlikeable. Rather, many like it for the reasons you say it's unliked. FE4 can be juggled under the same lens between saying its factors are what makes it the worst game in the series and the best game in the series to different players. Don't confuse your insight for a universal or objective one--simply because you don't, doesn't mean others don't.

Not everyone finds that specific chapter tedious, annoying, and unlikeable. Rather, many like it for the reasons you say it's unliked. FE4 can be juggled under the same lens between saying its factors are what makes it the worst game in the series and the best game in the series to different players. Don't confuse your insight for a universal or objective one--simply because you don't, doesn't mean others don't.

Well, I originally stated that I didn't like that chapter, only for JosefLior to state that even though he hated that chapter as well, he thought there should be more like it, seemingly purely for the purpose of adding variety. To me, that sounds ridiculous.

Well, I originally stated that I didn't like that chapter, only for JosefLior to state that even though he hated that chapter as well, he thought there should be more like it, seemingly purely for the purpose of adding variety. To me, that sounds ridiculous.

I said hated as for the moment, but thought it was a fun chapter. Not like "damn this frickin chapter >_<" more like "this is gonna be hard but will be very enjoyable." and I didn't say the person should go make a PoR ch10 right now just for the hell of it. I meant think of some originality to be put in the hack. Like an extra gaiden chapter with a special task different from FE6's seize. I'm not trying to be rude, just expressing my thoughts and opinions.

With my finals being completed now, I can focus more on this hack.

Here are somethings you might expect:

-2nd Tier cap changes, possibly to a universal value

-All trolling removed, unless it makes the game easier. I will be focusing on strictly making a hard-type hack now.

-New faces, including a certain Troubadour

-Thracia Fog of War

-Promotion Level changed

-Reduced Deployment Slots on all chapters

-Roy movement change

If anyone has any sugguestions, I'm open to all of them.

Also, would anyone be interested in playtesting the 2nd version?

Consider allowing units to promote at all.

fe6_terrible_7-1MOEF.png

fe6_terrible_8-wQLv1.png

Edited by Mekkah