Code of Conduct Revisions.

Tangerine

I thought I'd make an announcement thread for the sake of our current (and future) changes to the code of conduct. I plan to take a close look at the current rules and entertain the possibility of adding new rules, the possibility of removing old ones and of course the possibility of editing existing ones. For the sake of this post though, there has been a new rule added. I hope to use this thread for all possible changes in the future.

1. Do not abuse the ticket system simply to complain or make frivolous tickets. If you continually abuse the ticket and/or report functions, any warns you receive for such acts will not be removed as customary. In the case of tickets, you may be banned from using the function.

The point of this thread is to alert you guys of the changes and explain exactly what they mean.

The ticket system is essentially the members' voice. It is there for you to suggest site and forum related changes to the staff, not for "joking" or "trolling". This may seem harsh, but this rule is a result of our being too lenient on people who frequently abuse the system. In cases where users have frequently made "joke" or "troll" tickets and ignored warnings, any warns you still have active for them are now permanent; they will not be removed.

It's not like we're totally cracking down though, if you make an honest mistake we're not going to warn you for it. Trolling or purposely submitting ridiculous tickets is what will get you warned - there is almost nothing to fear from this rule if you are a user who is relatively well behaved. This is for users who feel that it is "funny" or a "good" idea to submit silly tickets after being told to stop multiple times. Total removal from the system is not going to be something that happens often - this is for users who contribute nothing and abuse the system repeatedly.

Anyway, feel free to send me a PM if you have any suggestions on how we could improve the board rules. Or better yet - send us a friendly ticket :tangerine:!

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Tangerine

*sends ticket*

Tangerine is abusing her power over the weak poor little innocent users of Serenes Fore... *BAND*

The only issue I would have with this is the ex post facto application. There's nothing wrong with having some offenses carry permanent warn, but retroactive application never sits right with me.

I'll take a peek at the rest of the code of conduct some time soon and see if there isn't anything else worth mention.

Trolling or purposely submitting ridiculous tickets is what will get you warned - there is almost nothing to fear from this rule if you are a user who is relatively well behaved. This is for users who feel that it is "funny" or a "good" idea to submit silly tickets after being told to stop multiple times. Total removal from the system is not going to be something that happens often - this is for users who contribute nothing and abuse the system repeatedly.

As its tickets I assume that means we're allowed to get away with one silly ticket, don't mind me I'm just going to submit one asking for an MC Hammer skin :awesome:

The only issue I would have with this is the ex post facto application. There's nothing wrong with having some offenses carry permanent warn, but retroactive application never sits right with me.

I'll take a peek at the rest of the code of conduct some time soon and see if there isn't anything else worth mention.

I won't say that there are no problems with it, but that's what we ended up deciding to do.

That'd be a big help! Send me a PM if you have any suggestions, I'd be glad to look them over.

O.K. I've just looked over the code of conduct revisions and the whole retrosepctive idea rubs me the wrong way. Such a rule means there's very little point in leaving the Code of Conduct up in my eyes, as I don't believe it can properly function as a deterrent whilst such a rule exists. Maybe this is just a mixture of my namby-pamby liberal idealism and the paranoia I get when drawing parallels with historical instances.

Also I'm putting it here as I think it would probably be easier to find the consensus rather than having every Tom, Dick and Harry make a ticket for their individual stance.

I would rather a ticket or PM be made. This thread isn't intended for discussing/arguing/debating about the changes.

That makes it sound like that discussing the changes among peers is a bad thing.

Is it?

(also should this post have been a ticket?)

This is an announcement thread. The ticket system is made specifically for discussing forum and site related issues.

Which one sounds like it should be used for discussing a forum related issue? Which one does my OP suggest you use to discuss this particular issue? Make a ticket if you have something you want to talk about.

Edited by Tangerine

There seems to have been some confusion over the initial Announcement, so it has now been slightly edited. The only people who's warns are permanent are those who continually abused the system. No one's warns have been made permanent for a one-off joke or a simple mistake. In essence, anyone who receives this punishment was asking for it.