Aran HM

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Named Aran.

Can I even think of benching Nephenie for Aran in the final maps ?

I was giving him my analysis of Nephenee and trying to let him know that Gatrie is also a very good lance user worthy of consideration.

Gatrie is very underrated in this game.

I'm not sure how. You say he's slightly worse than Nephenee, but he's actually slightly above Nephenee on the tier list. If anything, you should be saying that we're overrating him.

I would give Nephenee the slight edge over Gatrie since it's easier to fix her early strength problem with a strong forge, while Gatrie would have to eat up a heavily competed-for speedwing to fix his early problem.

Gatrie doesn't need to take an early speedwing. It's completely wasted on him since his speed cap is only 23. It's better to wait for him to cap speed, then Crown him. He might need a Speedwing later on in Part 4, but not early on.

Nephenee also gets 1 higher movement, of course. I think Gatrie is better for 4-E though since speed isn't very important for the most part and defense is.

Speed absolutely is important in 4-E. It's certainly far more important than defense, which is practically useless in any section other than 4-E-1, and even there it's not very important since it's quite easy to survive.

I was giving him my analysis of Nephenee and trying to let him know that Gatrie is also a very good lance user worthy of consideration.

Well, you got the nephenee half of the argument right. Since it was Neph/Aran.

I'm not sure how. You say he's slightly worse than Nephenee, but he's actually slightly above Nephenee on the tier list. If anything, you should be saying that we're overrating him.

Which tier list? And I just said that because it seems everyone in this thread is giving Nephenee love as a great lance user while Gatrie is being ignored

Gatrie doesn't need to take an early speedwing. It's completely wasted on him since his speed cap is only 23. It's better to wait for him to cap speed, then Crown him. He might need a Speedwing later on in Part 4, but not early on.

OK, you know it better than I.

Speed absolutely is important in 4-E. It's certainly far more important than defense, which is practically useless in any section other than 4-E-1, and even there it's not very important since it's quite easy to survive.

What is there that is difficult to double in 4-E? Almost every enemy in the first 2 parts is a general, and dragons' speed is a joke. Nephenee is going to need to Stand next to Nasir if she wants to double auras too, and that's not always easy, especially when there are a bunch of other great units who need the speed boost.

I admit speed is useful for being able to evade dragons, but defense is important against red dragons also, since it's still difficult to get dragons' hit rates down enough to reliably dodge, which i would say is only a small advantage towards Nephenee since the higher speed helps her against white dragons as well. I don't see how defense OR speed could really matter in 4-E-4, but that's a pretty easy part anyways, and I stated before how it is very possible that Nephenee isn't doubling auras either.

Edited by rigadoog

Which tier list? And I just said that because it seems everyone in this thread is giving Nephenee love as a great lance user while Gatrie is being ignored

That's because this topic is not about Gatrie. If it was, he'd be talked about.

What is there that is difficult to double in 4-E? Almost every enemy in the first 2 parts is a general, and dragons' speed is a joke. Nephenee is going to need to Stand next to Nasir if she wants to double auras too, and that's not always easy, especially when there are a bunch of other great units who need the speed boost.

There are Snipers, Spirits, and Auras that you need to double and I recall there being warriors in 4-E-1 as well.

If we're comparing Aran and Nephenee why can't we throw Gatrie in there? He's basically Aran but better since the only thing Sentries have on Marshalls is speed and movement, and Aran's speed is shit.

There are Snipers, Spirits, and Auras that you need to double and I recall there being warriors in 4-E-1 as well.

Gatrie should be able to double the Snipers and Warriors, Spirits are only in 4-E-4 and that's an easy part regardless, and I already explained how Nephenee has to cling to Nasir to double auras.

If we're comparing Aran and Nephenee why can't we throw Gatrie in there?

If you were to compare Meg and Lyre, would you just "throw" Geoffery in there? Somebody with different availability patterns, just to complicate shit?

If you were to compare Meg and Lyre, would you just "throw" Geoffery in there? Somebody with different availability patterns, just to complicate shit?

No, this is actually more similar to comparing Rolf to Shinon, since Neph and Gatrie are both with the Greil Mercs and have similar stats and use the same weapon type.

EDIT: Or if you were trying to determine who the best bow user was and Leonardo and Rolf were being discussed, wouldn't you suggest Shinon could be the best bow user?

Edited by rigadoog

EDIT: Or if you were trying to determine who the best bow user was and Leonardo and Rolf were being discussed, wouldn't you suggest Shinon could be the best bow user?

But the argument isn't the BEST lance user, it's the best sentenial. So Gatrie is off topic.

There are no Warriors in 4-E-1, only Generals, Sages, Bishops, and 2 Snipers. 31 AS doubles everything except the Snipers.

Edited by aku chi

Despite the fact I asked about Aran, I think Gatrie here is not completely off topic.

I too usually pair Neph with Gatrie and I compare them among the game.

Anyway, during my last 3 HM PT, Aran weren't able to make the final roster ; I think he's clearly usefull until chapters IV but his lack of speed and quite unable to naturraly take points in speed clearly disadvantage him latter.

I couldn't use Aran much past 1-5, personally. His hitrates are far too low in 1-6-2 to really matter (although I can't help but feel he was useful for chipping or killing something in 1-6-1, but Ilyana/Edward/Leonardo also did a lot of that chipping), and then in 1-7 there's no lowturn strat that relies on him. His hitrates are still too low, his speed is DEFINITELY way behind... etc. In 1-4 he can at least Javelin to reduce laguz gauges (I'd be fuckin dead if I didn't use that often) and he was crucial in my six turn strat because him/Leo/Ilyana/Edward/Meg could team up on a Tiger and not only reduce his laguz gauge to zero but then deliver the kill to him.