Tutorials that you would like to see be done

Blademaster!

Are there any hacking tutorials that you would like to see done? As in, no one has ever done one before or currently existing ones aren't very good? If so, please suggest what tutorials you would like to see done, and I will get to work on trying to make one. Currently planned tutorials include the following:

- FEditor Adv Animation insertion tutorial

- Palette editing tutorial

- FE8 Skill patch tutorial

If you have any other suggestions, please speak up now!

- Rey/Blazer did one.

- Trent did one.

- Don't know what that is.

1. Rey (by which you mean ShadowOfChaos?) made one ages ago back when the editor first came out, unless he has since updated that one, and based on the one I have, it doesn't delve into some of the rules that are associated with animation insertion and expanding indexs. Blazer's is fairly disorganized and incomplete.

2. Link? If it's on SF, it's not in the tutorial section, it isn't on SoS, and he didn't make the one on FEshrine. I was only thinking about doing one since I recently saw some people were confused on how to properly insert palettes.

3. Good?

1. It still works ._. I say Rey/Blazer because I don't know what you were refering to (Importing animations or inserting animations from scratch).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov8kzUx9u9Y

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He8qc9sZnJI&feature=related Part 2

1. I'm referring to importing animations.

2. Outdated and slow (worked well back in the day though).

Spell animation tutorial

Common sense tutorial

Also, any specific suggestions on my animation tutorial? It's is one of a kind and so as a result I can't really get any ideas to improve it from other tutorials. Thus I can't really disagree about it being disorganized (not sure why it's incomplete though...).

2. Outdated and slow (worked well back in the day though).

If by "slow", you mean, "takes maybe an extra 30 seconds per color", then yeah, it's slow.

On the other hand, it's reliable.

An easier to understand/dedicated music tutorial would be nice.

Blazer's is already pretty good assuming you are reffering to inserting music. I think it does need to be updated since Zahlman's song editor is a bit different than the one in the his tutorial though.

Spell animation tutorial

Common sense tutorial

Also, any specific suggestions on my animation tutorial? It's is one of a kind and so as a result I can't really get any ideas to improve it from other tutorials. Thus I can't really disagree about it being disorganized (not sure why it's incomplete though...).

1. I thought I remember seeing that someone made a tutorial for spell animations, but I will look into it.

2. It can't be helped.

3. I just didn't like how you had the two sections on working with battle animations so far apart from each other. It's incomplete because you don't go into increasing the max index, describing what the different tool functions do, and adding in animations. You instead talk about overwriting already existing ones. You also don't go into information pertaining to certain things about what kind of animations don't get inserted properly. Essentially, it doesn't go as deep as it could, which leads to people still asking questions occasionally as to why they can't transfer over the female shaman animation into FE7 or something along those lines. With something like animation transferring though, people probably need a bit of extra babying since it is one of the things most people will want to do while hacking.

If by "slow", you mean, "takes maybe an extra 30 seconds per color", then yeah, it's slow.

On the other hand, it's reliable.

It's reliable yes, but it is a lot slower than you think. The fact that he mentions using GBA color picker and looking up hex in a hex editor attests to that statement, and I don't think many noobs will realize that we have completely mapped out where all GBA palettes are located in their respective FE ROM's.

I'll go with Blazer on the 'common sense' tutorial. Things that should be easy but aren't because I'm some people are can screw up the most basic of concepts.

How do you even make a common sense tutorial?

Edited by Blademaster!

An easier to understand/dedicated music tutorial would be nice.

I could probably make a good tutorial on this if I stopped being lazy. I've gained a good understanding of music data structures over the past month, as well as quite a few tricks to fix stuff (like splicing tracks to avoid the 8 track limit as well as porting songs with Zahlman's song editor that it wouldn't port normally).

If enough people bugged me, I could probably make this.

Edited by Mariobro3828

It's reliable yes, but it is a lot slower than you think. The fact that he mentions using GBA color picker and looking up hex in a hex editor attests to that statement, and I don't think many noobs will realize that we have completely mapped out where all GBA palettes are located in their respective FE ROM's.

Oh nooo, we have to take a whole 3-5 minutes to change a battle palette what will we doooo.

It's not even looking for the stuff in the hex editor, it's ctrl+f.

Edited by Joekitty

Well if I'm thinking of a 'Common Sense' Tutorial, it's all those things that hackers THINK would be obvious to everyone, and it seems obvious to everyone who looks at it, but then in practice people trying it just screw it up I'm definitly not talking from experience here

To give it a better name 'Resources Tutorial'

"Okay here's how you expand the class data table, here's what order you should use the tools, etc. etc." with nice big pictures for me stupid people.

While the palette editing method is sufficient there IS room for improvement, IMO. If someone is willing to make that improvement and are successful in doing so, then I say we support it. Just my 2 cents though.

@Mariobro just ****ing do it you lazy son of a...

JK, but seriously with your experience I think you could make a great tutorial.

@Blademaster 1) well do tell if you find it...

2) hah, I'm trying to argue with here but I can't come up with anything... XD

3) Admittedly I consider importing battle animations and making custom ones two different things.

As for detail on importing, I suck at it, tbh. I only found out how to hack it like a year ago because I never had the need. As a result I have very little experience with them and cant write a good comprehensive tutorial. if someone could help me or just make a better tutorial to replace mine (I have no problem with other peoples stuff being included in or linked to in the Ultimate Tutorial, credit given of course) then that would be great, because I openly admit it has faults. And not just a few.

Finally, regarding the common sense tutorial... Even if someone makes it, I don't think people will have the "common sense" to read it. My idea just got owned...

...How could it be "a lot slower than I think" when that's the way I do it all the time? It takes maybe 15 minutes. Half an hour if you're slow at it.

Big. Deal.

I usually do trying to get the contrast right sometimes. At least these days I do.

Well that and documenting which colour means what for each animation that your palette editing. If that makes sense. I do it in the GBA Colour Picker + Paint + HxD method thoug. which shows how poorly I'm doing it.

Edited by Onmi

It's not even looking for the stuff in the hex editor, it's ctrl+f.

That's what I meant by looking.

...How could it be "a lot slower than I think" when that's the way I do it all the time? It takes maybe 15 minutes. Half an hour if you're slow at it.

Big. Deal.

Reasons why Seph's tutorial is deprecated:

1. Involves you needing to write down and look up offsets. A noob would not realize that all these offsets have already been mapped and this process is foolish.

2. Involves using GBA color picker, which is the biggest reason as to why this process is so slow.

3. It's slower (15 min per palette? By the time you finish four palettes in one hour, I've finished needing to edit all the palettes I will have to edit)

4. Doesn't give you full control over palette editing since you can't fully edit Boss and NPC palettes.

Does his tutorial work? Yes.

Is it slower? Yes.

Is it noob friendly? No.

Does it have as much of an ease of access for editing? No.

Is it deprecated? YES.

It's a two year old tutorial. It is out of date, and there are better, faster, and more versatile ways of editing battle palettes now.

Still using this tutorial to edit battle palettes is like using the old method to insert battle animations before FEditor Adv was released or using Blazers original tutorial on music insertion over Zahlman's music editor.

Boss and NPC palettes are easy, it just takes a little bit of searching. Noob friendly? If you can't be bothered to find your own shit, get the fuck out. Speed?

So you're done while I have another four palettes to go through. Big fucking whoop.

Since you guys are talking about palette editing, what about the method blazer used in his tutorial involving SNES palette editor? is that current/faster? (It's how I edit palettes currently)

No good if the Palette is compressed. From my experiences with FE6 I can tell you ALL the Animation Palettes in that game are compressed.

I could probably make a good tutorial on this if I stopped being lazy. I've gained a good understanding of music data structures over the past month, as well as quite a few tricks to fix stuff (like splicing tracks to avoid the 8 track limit as well as porting songs with Zahlman's song editor that it wouldn't port normally).

If enough people bugged me, I could probably make this.

Blazers isn't bad, it got me up to one point where it said to flip the offset and insert it somewhere, and then the bytes for each instrument....yeah, I got lost.sad.gif

Could probably screenshot the spot I was lost at.

No good if the Palette is compressed. From my experiences with FE6 I can tell you ALL the Animation Palettes in that game are compressed.

I'm working with FE7, but that is good to know for FE6. Only color i've encountered so far that won't edit is Karel's hair.

Edited by Claude C Kenny

end all tutorial

- lern (nasally pronounce the n) one of

-- python (really emphasize the y, make sure you sound obnoxious or you're saying it wrong)

-- java (said as "ja" like in "javelin" and "va" like in "vash the stampede")

-- c# ("see shoop")

- write a pro-gram (professional gram, as in this gram gets paid to compete in tournaments with other grams) that does

-- everything you need it to do (e.g. recolor stuff)

-- stuff you don't need it to do but is fun to play with (e.g. on the fly rendering)

-- everything you want it to do for you after you realize how slow it still is to use after writing it the first time (e.g. like what FEditor does with its image format which stores palette data as image data within images so the two are automatically used together correctly)

prablem salved.

Why follow directions when you can make a computer do it for you? It's just silly.

Lol if only you could understand what it was like not to be a genius, Obviam... (of course geniuses always think "it doesn't take a genius to..."...)

@music editing there are many different methods, some easier than others, but each with their own... niche, for lak of a better word. It's up to the person to decide which method best suits them and their purpose IMO.