my asian rant

tatf987

This is what we call a 'confirmation bias'.

While he is indeed reacting from mostly imagined events, asians have had their fair share of discrimination in the film industry.

Along with every other minority, whod've thunk.

While he is indeed reacting from mostly imagined events, asians have had their fair share of discrimination in the film industry.

You mean like Ghenghis Khan getting played, IIRC, by John Wayne? XD

(YA IRC)

Besides the minorities with such a tiny representation in the US that they don't even make it into films, which one can hardly blame the American film industry for, which is, I'm going out on a limb here, what you meant when you said "film industry."

I'm not sure why it unslashed your comment, BTW, unless you edited a slash through your comment right as I was responding to it. Maybe something about pulling quotes with copy and paste...?

Edited by Loki Laufeyjarson

You mean like Ghenghis Khan getting played, IIRC, by John Wayne? XD

That's less discrimination and more a stupid decision.

EDIT: What I mean is that it's not really discrimination in the same way as what we're talking about. That would be more like the film industry itself being racist enough to not even allow minorities to be (lead) actors. Same idea, I guess, different execution.

Edited by 1st Mate Bob

Perhaps the same could be said of all religions! minorities.

Institutionalized racism to the detriment asians in the U.S. is a historically interesting topic, though. The only thing your average American student hears about is Japanese internment.

Edited by Der Kommissar

Institutionalized racism to the detriment asians in the U.S. is a historically interesting topic, though. The only thing your average American student hears about is Japanese internment.

It is worth saying that Japanese internment, as I remembered researching it some time ago, was that one of the members of Roosevelt's cabinet who most vigorously opposed it and then went along with it was actually a big fan of Japanese culture (maybe following Grant's lead??? Not that Grant was a big fan, but IIRC he was the first American to try diplomacy with Japan) and supported it because he thought it was better than the rioting that the Japanese were facing domestically. Of course, one might argue that a responsible nation would keep troops at home to quell such a domestic dispute before sending troops abroad to war, but the US had already been attacked at Pearl Harbor by Japanese war hawks - what choice did they have? Anyway, japanese internment isn't simple. It was obviously a horrible memory to those who lived through it, but they did refuse to accept the apology of the US government. Was this perhaps because they knew that it was last and least the government's responsibility and first and foremost the responsibility of the people? "Institutionalized" or not, racism is a horrible thing.

Sorry for not knowing the name of the cabinet member and possibly representing him as overly sympathetic to the Japanese. This is just off the top of my head.

Edited by Loki Laufeyjarson

• 3 weeks later...

it's just the way asians are typecasted. asians are always casted to play similar roles. the movie starship troopers was based on a book where the main characters were filipinos but when they made the film the makers felt it wont connect with the majority of the audience if they were played by filipinos. paul walker's character in the fast and the furious was also meant to be asian but was changed.

the movie starship troopers was based on a book where the main characters were filipinos but when they made the film the makers felt it wont connect with the majority of the audience if they were played by filipinos.

You're sure it wasn't that they just were too lazy to figure out hiring filipino actors? I mean, were there enough filipinos in the US pursuing a career in acting to make the movie at the time? Should they have put an ad in the paper "seeking filipino actors for movie?"

• 1 month later...

346292_700b_v1.jpg

I duno. I wouldn't worry about it that much. It's kind of funny because if you watch asian films sometimes white people get stereotyped pretty bad too. I don't feel anyone is victimized since most movies are just made for teh moneys anyway. :p

346292_700b_v1.jpg

I duno. I wouldn't worry about it that much. It's kind of funny because if you watch asian films sometimes white people get stereotyped pretty bad too. I don't feel anyone is victimized since most movies are just made for teh moneys anyway. :p

Exploitation of stereotypes for money doesn't mean the stereotypes aren't perpetuated. I am, however, inclined to agree with a point like "it isn't such a big deal," but not a point like perpetuation of stereotypes doesn't exist because the aim of perpetuating stereotypes is profit.

ive always wondered why are the asian people bad?,or lose alot for that matter.Take for instance the korean dude from home alone 3,and some asian people from kill bill(dont remember the name),for losing take for instance the yakuza in deadliest warrior,they lost to the mafia,and that dude from the verizon commercial.I just dont get it what do people have against asians?*deep breath*done.

a master at his craft, that.