Any good recommendations for free antivirus software?

Zak Something

Before installing anything else, run this:

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&ln=en_US

Here's a couple of free ones:

1. avast! - Fairly light, and doesn't give you stupid ads. If you don't mind being bugged by something that's coming dangerously close to adware, go get Avira yourself. I'm no longer recommending it after a certain Unible fiasco.

2. Microsoft Security Essentials - As long as your copy of Windows passes WGA, you can install this. This is Microsoft's way of apologizing for the bazillion patches that one needs to install on Windows to keep it reasonably safe. I use it on my older computer, and it's fairly non-intrusive.

Kaspersky has done me good.

I have that on my new laptop. Never herd of it before. Hope it works well.

As for the actual topic, we've never had much success with anti-virus so I can't help you. Sorry.

I have that on my new laptop. Never herd of it before. Hope it works well.

As for the actual topic, we've never had much success with anti-virus so I can't help you. Sorry.

What exactly do you do on the internet?blink.gif

I was using Avira for years and was happy with it, and the popup was never really annoying, and there's some things users can do to block it from ever popping up. Yesterday I decided to switch to avast on suggestion of this thread, but I find I can't register the thing from within the program. Every time I type, the window literally erases itself starting from the bottom-right corner, until there's no registration window open. Can you register the program from another place like the actual site?

Otherwise avast seems incompatible with my GUI hookup XD

I was using Avira for years and was happy with it, and the popup was never really annoying, and there's some things users can do to block it from ever popping up. Yesterday I decided to switch to avast on suggestion of this thread, but I find I can't register the thing from within the program. Every time I type, the window literally erases itself starting from the bottom-right corner, until there's no registration window open. Can you register the program from another place like the actual site?

Otherwise avast seems incompatible with my GUI hookup XD

The easiest way to register is to just open the Maintenance tab on the left side of the screen and then click on Registration. Here you will see your current registration status e.g. "not yetregistered". To register click on Register Now.

A new window will open where you will need to enter a few basic details, then just click on "Register for free license" and your registration will be completed.

If you are using avast! on a computer that is not currently connected to the Internet, you can register on another computer by completing our online registration form. From the registration screen, simply click on "Registration form". After entering your registration details, an email containing your license key will be sent to the email address that you entered. When you receive the email, follow the instructions to copy the license key, then open the avast! registration screen and click on "Insert the license key". In the new window that opens make sure the full license key is entered and that it exactly matches the license key that was sent in the email.

Don't see any registration on the website so it's probably limited to just that.

I would recommend Microsoft Security Essentials if you can pass WGA. I've been dealing with quite a few systems that are screwed up despite having Avast. AVG is shit.