Cancelling Forced Events

KP 2010

The (mechanical) reason you normally can't cancel out of forced movement is that the game completely disables the B button. However, the programmers didn't want to disable the soft reset, so the B button is still accepted if the A, select, and start buttons are also pressed. If you hold any additional buttons (L, R, or a direction), this won't count as a soft reset sequence, but the B button will still work, allowing you to cancel out of the action.

A more likely explanation is that it's just a left-over debug feature that wasn't fully removed. Just like the data-erase feature in Advance Wars, and a bunch of other features found in games all over. It was probably a handy way to break out of an event that wasn't functioning properly.

Or that it's an intentional button combination, and not a side-effect of some unexpected button presses.

A more likely explanation is that it's just a left-over debug feature that wasn't fully removed. Just like the data-erase feature in Advance Wars, and a bunch of other features found in games all over. It was probably a handy way to break out of an event that wasn't functioning properly.

Or that it's an intentional button combination, and not a side-effect of some unexpected button presses.

This actually seems less likely, to be honest.

• 10 years later...
On 7/28/2011 at 2:17 PM, Nitrodon said:

The (mechanical) reason you normally can't cancel out of forced movement is that the game completely disables the B button. However, the programmers didn't want to disable the soft reset, so the B button is still accepted if the A, select, and start buttons are also pressed. If you hold any additional buttons (L, R, or a direction), this won't count as a soft reset sequence, but the B button will still work, allowing you to cancel out of the action.

This explanation helped me to do it on my first playthrough of a rom so I could. Speed through it and unlock hard mode. Before I just slammed the buttons and didn't understand how it worked so I only got it sometimes. Now it works every time.