Fire Emblem 12 ~Heroes~ Translation Project

Fire Emblem: Shin Monsho no Nazo ~Hikari to Kage no Eiyuu~

AKA Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem ~Heroes of Light and Shadow~

The 12th Installment in the Fire Emblem Series

Translation Project

Most of us know that Intelligent Systems created a remake of Fire Emblem 3: Mystery of the Emblem, originally for the SNES, for the Nintendo DS. If you don't know about it, then there's a very good reason--the game seems to have been neglected by Nintendo and has still not made a release outside of Japan, despite being a well-received game by Japan and other fans who have played the game despite not understanding Japanese.

Fans waited and waited in agony, but the wait will soon be over. The Fire Emblem 12 Translation Team has taken up hex editors and compression programs to translate this great game in the stead of those who haven't. So without further adieu, here's our proof that we're actually translating this thing:

FE12trans001.pngFE12trans003.png

[spoiler=Click to show more images]FE12trans002.pngFE12trans004.png

FE12trans006.pngFE12trans005.png

FE12trans007.pngFE12trans008.png

FE12trans009.pngFE12trans010.png

I'm sure you guys have a lot of questions, but before you whack us with them, make sure they aren't answered here:

Fire Emblem 12 Translation FAQ

[spoiler=Click to show Readme]

Version history

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2.01 [Public menu patch created by the FE12 Translation Project Team]

-Congratulation and unlock messages (upon beating the game) translated

-Base conversation messages (not dialogue) translated

-Clock bonus and Training messages (not dialogue) translated

-Miscellaneous minor fixes

2.00 [beta menu patch created from scratch by the FE12 Translation Project Team]

-All important menus translated

-Name input for My Unit has English symbols enabled

-Dialogue has been left untouched (Warning: Lowercase symbols are not currently supported in dialogue)

-Minor fixes

1.00 [Preliminary menu patch created by Blazer]

Information

~~~~~~~~~~~

Please visit the official blog (link below) if you have any questions or comments. There's also a pretty handy FAQ there.

If have any suggestions or bug reports' date=' please forward them to the "Menu patch version 2" blog post (not yet created at the time of writing).

Links

~~~~~

http://fe12ds.blogspot.com/

Official FE12 Translation Project blog and site

Prologue I trailer (contains preview of the dialogue translation)

smashfire17@gmail.com

Blazer's contact e-mail (we're looking for an experienced graphics editor and assembly programmer)

Credits

~~~~~~~

[FE12 Translation Project Team]

Arch

-Director, Hacker, and Chief of Localization

Blazer

-Hacker and Chief Director

Nintenlord

-Hacker and Chief Programmer

sn0w75

-Chief Translator

VincentASM

-Director, Primary Hacker, and Project Host

[Other]

Nintendo/Intelligent Systems

-Developers of this awesome game

A message to Nintendo of America/Europe

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please put us out of a job by officially releasing this game!

With all that important information out of the way, the FE12 Translation Team would like to present you with our current patch, a menu patch covering most gameplay aspects to allow players to play the game without needing to understand Japanese or use logic to figure out what certain menus say. We've worked really hard on this, so we hope you enjoy it, or at least like it, as this is a sample of what our complete translation will be like (for those of you waiting for us to finish the entire game).

DOWNLOAD LATEST VERSION

Updates

News

A graphics editor has already been found. If everything goes to plan, we should be able to work on the graphical side of text soon. This includes stuff like the opening demo, various headers and the in-battle stats.

Known bugs in 2.0.1

If you go through erasing of all data, the message that tells you data is being erased doesn't show up. Also, because of this, another super rare menu text may not display properly. These issues are easily fixed.

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you please also provide the raw text files in addition to the patch? (So I can insert them directly using DSlazy)

I'm using an edited rom so the patch won't quite work.

(If you are wondering why I don't want to use the original over the edited, I made Emporer, Barbarian, and Shadow Dragon usable classes. It freezes when you hover your curser over one of those classes in the unedited rom)

And I don't have the original rom anymore. I deleted it after I got the 3 unusable classes to work. Don't wanna download another.

Edited by someonewhodied

You can always use a clean ROM, patch over that, use DSLazy to unpack, grab the text files, and then re-insert them into yours.

But otherwise I'll make sure no one minds on the team and give them, I think it's pretty harmless... *shrug*

People on the official blog voted in favour for Star Potion. The poll isn't there right now, but I seem to recall there were 100+ votes and Star Potion won by a landslide. Rainbow Potion didn't fit without shortening it down and it seems people preferred Star Potion, which did.

If it makes you feel better, "rainbow" is referenced in the description and Star Potion is the internal codename for the item.

"Train" isn't final and I agree it seems a bit amateurish, I couldn't think of a better word at the time. I don't agree with "Arena" though since, although it functions exactly like an arena (more or less), I don't want to confuse it with the regular arena. "Training Arena" might work, but haven't tested to see if it fits.

However, 'Clothes Pole' seems really out of place. Laundry Pole makes more, since it's delivers that connotation of a quick, almost useless item becoming a weapon, similar to the Toy Bow. A pole used to dry laundry becoming a weapon.

It's an issue of culture, but I think most cultures can make a connection out of these connotations, more than 'Clothes Pole' where what exactly that means is a bit ambiguous (I say cultural, since I don't exactly know if some places in the world refer to a laundry pole as a clothes pole)+ :/ "Oh, localization; a song to sing to thee~"

Edited by Celice

I really hated dropping "Laundry Pole", but it's too long and doesn't fit. If we figure out how to use graphical text to fit long names in, that would be one of the first names I'd revert.

"Clothes Pole" sounds fine to me, but no clue what other people think. As for alternatives, I was thinking of "Drying Pole", but haven't tried to see if it fits or not.

'Clothes Pole' and 'Laundry Pole' are the exact same length though .-. Are you saying the length of the letters create an overflow? Maybe your VWF isn't optimized? Though, it looks pretty good from the screenshots.

And for the Arena, I think Maestro opted for 'Combat' in one of his patches dealing with a similar problem. Or maybe it was the name of the fighers becoming Combatants. But in any case, 'Combat' works as as a synonym. Some people might be too familiar with the word as a direct verb, rather than a type of action however.

And 'Prism Potion' probably would have worked just as well. It all depends on how much you actually want to translate, and what you think would benefit more from localization.

Edited by Celice

Regarding the Star Potion, there were over 220 votes IIRC and the poll was about 85% to 15% in favor of Star Potion, give or take some odd percent. This is after I made a blog post that explained the situation, of course.

Would "Laundry Rod" work or would Pole->Rod be less preferable than Laundry->Clothes?

'Clothes Pole' and 'Laundry Pole' are the exact same length though .-. Are you saying the length of the letters create an overflow? Maybe your VWF isn't optimized? Though, it looks pretty good from the screenshots.

We're using the original font right now (which I believe is the same as what the English version of FE11 uses) since it works and looks great.

And 'Prism Potion' probably would have worked just as well. It all depends on how much you actually want to translate, and what you think would benefit more from localization.

I actually thought of that, but I didn't like the sound of it compared to Star Potion or Rainbow Potion.

Anyway, if we already have a few people complaining (in a good way) about our choice of names, you haven't seen anything yet (although I stand by my choice of names... for now) X D

You should try loading the patch to see for yourself...

Would "Laundry Rod" work or would Pole->Rod be less preferable than Laundry->Clothes?

Personally I'd prefer to have "pole" in there, just to emphasise it's an everyday object.

Edited by VincentASM

Maybe you should name the Laundary Pole like you did the Star Potion. Have the description mention it's used for hanging laundary and then you could call it something like Garden Pole.

People on the official blog voted in favour for Star Potion. The poll isn't there right now, but I seem to recall there were 100+ votes and Star Potion won by a landslide. Rainbow Potion didn't fit without shortening it down and it seems people preferred Star Potion, which did.

If it makes you feel better, "rainbow" is referenced in the description and Star Potion is the internal codename for the item.

My problems with this are:

1. "Rainbow Potion" is the name used on the site and is also the name that all of the FE12 "veterans" commonly use. It's almost like changing "Barst" back to "Barts" because of the translators' personal preferences - why eschew an already commonly used name for the item? I am almost entirely sure that the 180 or so people who voted for "Star Potion" didn't even bother taking this fact into account. I don't understand why it's a problem to abbreviate it when some weapons are already abbreviated.

2. I really couldn't care less if "Star Potion" is the internal codename; "Rainbow Potion" is a much closer translation of "七色の薬."

"Train" isn't final and I agree it seems a bit amateurish, I couldn't think of a better word at the time. I don't agree with "Arena" though since, although it functions exactly like an arena (more or less), I don't want to confuse it with the regular arena. "Training Arena" might work, but haven't tested to see if it fits.

Well, the first thing that I thought of when I saw "Train" was the locomotive vehicle. "Training" by itself may work as well. I know the Japanese "訓練場" essentially means a place of training, but I think that's kind of misleading because, well, you die in there if you lose.

Edited by dondon151

@dondon You can have your problems with it and you can have your say but you're 1 person and ultimately you have 1 vote. We've heard that vote so that's enough, I personally refuse to cater the needs of a small collection of people over the majority of fans simply because the small group consists of enthusiastic Fire Emblem players who imported or emulated the game in Japanese. Rainbow Potion doesn't have that great commonness that you speak of--it's been used here a little bit and on SF but the latter can easily be changed and the former is a VERY small portion of the people who play Fire Emblem--most people who play Fire Emblem don't go on forums for them. For most people, it's a new item and any name with good reasoning that looks and sounds nice would work.

And I don't expect you to understand the hacker's and translator's minds when it comes to things like why we don't like abbreviations, but you have to understand that there IS reasoning for things like why we don't like to abbreviate it, and just accept it after some point. You might not like it but to try and force a suggestion at this point is... I don't know, silly, I guess. :\

Rest assured I plan on trying to accommodating people by offering alternate patches and Nintenlord will likely release his text file separator/combiner so people can have whatever names they want if they care enough. :\

@Bull Pit it's not really fitting, it's misleading, there are no bulls in the Bull Pit and too many people might not be familiar with the term. I think "Combat" is a very plausible choice.

Edited by Luffy

@dondon You can have your problems with it and you can have your say but you're 1 person and ultimately you have 1 vote.

Wow, really? Democracy is the slowest way to get things done. Newsflash: not all opinions are created equal. 180 lemmings agreeing with what you say doesn't give an opinion greater weight.

We've heard that vote so that's enough, I personally refuse to cater the needs of a small collection of people over the majority of fans simply because the small group consists of enthusiastic Fire Emblem players who imported or emulated the game in Japanese. Rainbow Potion doesn't have that great commonness that you speak of--it's been used here a little bit and on SF but the latter can easily be changed and the former is a VERY small portion of the people who play Fire Emblem--most people who play Fire Emblem don't go on forums for them. For most people, it's a new item and any name with good reasoning that looks and sounds nice would work.

All 594 posts in the tier list use "Rainbow Potion." All playthroughs that have used the item use "Rainbow Potion." Knowing Vincent, he'll probably be too lazy to change "Rainbow Potion" on the website. So tell me - is there any logic to settling on a translation decision that will result in half of the community using one name and half of the community using another? Perhaps this is an issue of your egos being too sensitive to make a practical decision?

And I don't expect you to understand the hacker's and translator's minds when it comes to things like why we don't like abbreviations, but you have to understand that there IS reasoning for things like why we don't like to abbreviate it, and just accept it after some point. You might not like it but to try and force a suggestion at this point is... I don't know, silly, I guess. :\

What is there to understand? Is it really that difficult to insert a period in a string of text? Is the ideal of having to use a shortened name so repulsive?

My problems with this are:

1. "Rainbow Potion" is the name used on the site and is also the name that all of the FE12 "veterans" commonly use. It's almost like changing "Barst" back to "Barts" because of the translators' personal preferences - why eschew an already commonly used name for the item? I am almost entirely sure that the 180 or so people who voted for "Star Potion" didn't even bother taking this fact into account. I don't understand why it's a problem to abbreviate it when some weapons are already abbreviated.

2. I really couldn't care less if "Star Potion" is the internal codename; "Rainbow Potion" is a much closer translation of "七色の薬."

This is actually a bit interesting, because this gets shot down for anyone who tries to use the actual Japanese names of a localized game whose names and text were altered during localization--those who have already familiarized themselves are criticized if they often use the old names.

This translation project is small, minute, and provincial. The player base isn't Serenes Forest--and catering to small website's vote isn't hearing the people, it's hearing the clicks of a small, small, small, small, small, small, small, small portion of a few players of a very specific mindset, what they want. "It was Star Potion against other options--" You didn't even mention what the other options were. The point is: one can't say a type of feed back is necessarily better than another due to players size because, first, the size isn't representational, and second, it's a biased pool. As dondon pointed out, if your selection of votes was purely out of players who already played the game, they'd probably vote for Rainbow Potion because--dundun--it's Rainbow Potion to them. If you get a small group of people wanting to play the game in English in any way possible, they're gonna click whatever the hell they want that's going to make that magic English alphabet arrive. Including you just bullshitting text everywhere--they don't care necessarily. They want buttons they can understand with little effort.

Aside from that pretty much horrible feedback system, you're also in a position as a group to dictate what some fans are going to refer to characters like for some time. j2e's names for various FE4 characters hovered around pretty strongly for some time--as did the fan names that were in circulation. Twilkitri's patch and team decided on specific versions of names and translations (thankfully, most of them actually attempting to uncover what would be best, rather than what doesn't really matter). This overall shifted what people called other characters. Adan died out, Eden, Midayle, Dew should be Dieu blahblahblah it was a small but real conversion that left impact. Arbitrarily picking names out of a pocket is going to arbitrarily decide what a few fans are going to use--and a lot more--should NoA or NoE not pick up the title for some odd reason.

On a separate note, what is a pretty common tactic, next to just smushing letters into graphics specifically for a name, is to just drop what the icon represents. Rainbow Potion, if keeping Rainbow is so important, has a graphical icon to denote what the 'Rainbow' is describing. Abbreviating is probably the best, most authentic route since it can properly be spelled out in the description of the item--without necessitating any extra work.

Edited by Celice

This is actually a bit interesting, because this gets shot down for anyone who tries to use the actual Japanese names of a localized game whose names and text were altered during localization--those who have already familiarized themselves are criticized if they often use the old names.

Two different things. This is an unofficial translation. What you described are official translations. In the former case, parsimony is the logical option. In the latter case, you're being a weeaboo.

I like how the same people complaining about amateurish translations are demanding shortened names.

NoA has already done it.

Edited by dondon151

NoA has already done it.

Silv. Sword and Silv. Lance... items they had already inserted fully in previous games of the series, yes?

Using the localized names? RAGE!!! Though seriously, this project looks great. It'll be cool to see this game translated further. ^_^

Edited by Swordsalmon

Wasn't Pegasus Knight shortened in to the two GBA versions? I seem to recall something like that, 'cause I think how it was abbreviated was switched between FE7's and FE8's localization .-.

Indeed. But would you say that looks professional?

I'm not saying I don't understand why they did that, but it's still hideous and should be avoided if possible.

Rainbow Potion makes more since the icon has many colors, 7 colors in a rainbow and the potion affects 7 stats. As for other arena names I can think of these come to mind: coliseum, stadium (yes I'm thinking of Pokemon), battlefield, and sparring. Don't know how much help this will be. Keep up the good work everyone.