Fire Emblem 12 ~Heroes~ Translation Project

Maybe the fact that they're the ones creating this translation patch?

And why does that make their opinions more valuable?

Apparently plenty of people will cry this way, and more polls won't help a bit. What about the people who don't get either their first or second picks, or who lose their first pick because of someone else's second pick? It doesn't work; polls only leave people dissatisfied.

The only time people got all that upset was with Malicia/Malliesia/Melissa/Masdohpocdhs when they didn't follow the poll results. There hasn't been much resistance to Vergil, and that's a case where, IIRC, the poll decided against Belf.

You're only proving my point. People dislike Caeda because they were already familiar with the name Sheeda. If a new FE game was released with a Pegasus Knight named Caeda, no one would have complained.

I don't see how that's relevant. People are familiar with names already and there's no way to change that. It also goes to show that people won't just silently accept a name they don't like because they didn't have a say.

Actual issues like starvation are entirely different because people actually benefit when the issues are addressed well. If there are two starving children, and you can only give food to one, it's better to do that, even if it'll make the other one jealous. But let's say there are two other children, siblings who don't have trouble getting food. You can give a piece of candy to just one of them and make the other one jealous, or you can do nothing. You'll probably want to do nothing, because the benefit of the candy isn't worth the damage from the jealousy.

What age kids are we talking about here, and is the FE fandom really that petty?

The translation team's opinions are more valuable not because of the quality of the opinions, but because of what the opinions can accomplish.

Fair answer, but I disagree. Ignoring other people's opinions hasn't accomplished much in this project's (and some of NoA's) history. I think that, if they were open enough, people really wouldn't get upset if their name choice didn't get picked because there would be a bunch of polls about names and one of your preferences out of dozens wouldn't bother people much.

In my case, six years of Japanese studies and three translated manga. It isn't much, I know, but it's more experience than most western FE fans have.

I never meant to call into question technical abilities- my question was why what one person thinks of how "good" a name is should matter more than a dozen other people's opinions combined.

Malicia, however, is a word (even if not an English word - that'd be malice) and a name. And it fits the character thus named. There's no motive to discard it as gibberish and "fix" it.

Whether or not it fits the character is pretty ambiguous, last I heard.

Add a Malliesia bug too

I know this is a joke, but that's the kind of attitude that really bothers me.

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never meant to call into question technical abilities- my question was why what one person thinks of how "good" a name is should matter more than a dozen other people's opinions combined.

But you did. In Vergil's case, the translation team at the time decide to leave the original name aside and go for another name. In that case, a poll makes sense. However, the current philosophy we're following has a focus on trying to accurately portray the way the creators intended to make the characters' names sound, while keeping said names sensible. And for that, you need some technical ability and experience, not popularity contests.

Whether or not it fits the character is pretty ambiguous, last I heard.

If it's up to interpretation, it still qualifies as "fitting".

And why is that?

Ignoring other people's opinions hasn't accomplished much in this project's history.

What exactly do you mean with this?

Edited by TheEnd

In my case, six years of Japanese studies and three translated manga. It isn't much, I know, but it's more experience than most western FE fans have.

Except that Malicia isn't "clearly meant" to be Melissa.

Persvel sounds stupid so you have no choice than forcing yourself to accept they were trying not-so-successfully to say Percival.

Malicia, however, is a word (even if not an English word - that'd be malice) and a name. And it fits the character thus named. There's no motive to discard it as gibberish and "fix" it.

Malicia is similar to Malice

Malicia is an uncommon and unfamiliar variant of a more common name, Melissa. When naming characters, the FE writing staff strives first and foremost that 1. They have no names too similar to any other names, and 2. That the names are easy to recognize. Melissa succeeds on both accounts while Malicia fails on both accounts.

I fail to see how the name Malicia is appropriate to a character who is not malicious

Your knowledge of Japanese doesn't absolve you from your lack of knowledge about English

Malicia is an uncommon and unfamiliar variant of a more common name, Melissa. When naming characters, the FE writing staff strives first and foremost that 1. They have no names too similar to any other names, and 2. That the names are easy to recognize. Melissa succeeds on both accounts while Malicia fails on both accounts.

Aran, Arran, and Allen all are similar. And how do you know this anyway, did you email the FE writing staff or something?

Aran, Arran, and Allen all are similar. And how do you know this anyway, did you email the FE writing staff or something?

Those three aren't in the same game.

No, it's in their Radiant Dawn interview, which Vincent and friends just recently translated. Here's a quote:

Narihiro: Our staff just comes up with a lot of them... First, we write a draft of the storyline, and then check that there are no two characters with the same name or, for example, that there aren’t too many names starting with the letter ‘A.’ The most important thing is to choose names that are easy to recognise.

But you did. In Vergil's case, the translation team at the time decide to leave the original name aside and go for another name. In that case, a poll makes sense. However, the current philosophy we're following has a focus on trying to accurately portray the way the creators intended to make the characters' names sound, while keeping said names sensible. And for that, you need some technical ability and experience, not popularity contests.

But what makes something "sensible?" That's not technical- that's entirely subjective as long as they name is pronounceable. Also, you say that you try to go with what the creators wanted... except the times where you don't like what they did so you change it. I know with the case of Belf you did it with the general approval of the community, but I could see Vergil being pushed through even if Belf had won.

The technical parts let you get to reasonable names, but there is no objective way to determine whether or not a name is "good" beyond things like Asseray which would be openly mocked.

If it's up to interpretation, it still qualifies as "fitting".

But then it could also be ironic. Unless I'm mistaken, Malliesia wouldn't be particularly unfitting for any interpretation of her character.

And why is that?

It's the idea that your opinion is so right that other people shouldn't have the option even in the privacy of their own home to have characters called what you don't think they should be called.

What exactly do you mean with this?

Specifically, I mean the outburst when Malicia was chosen after it lost the poll here.

Malicia is similar to Malice

Crashgordon already noticed we're using Maris, why couldn't you?

Why do we need to use common names that are invalid and lack desirable alternate meanings?

Oh right, we don't.

I fail to see how the name Malicia is appropriate to a character who is not malicious

>Gold digger

Of course, it's up to interpretation. Unlike Maris, who isn't malicious, just tough and in desperate need of money for survival.

Your knowledge of Japanese doesn't absolve you from your lack of knowledge about English

Indeed. That really sucks for whoever is going to rely on this patch, because as a translator I have the right of undoing any improvements the proofreaders do in the name of "accuracy".

Fasten your belts dude. Or better yet, do like Eclipse and play it raw.

But what makes something "sensible?" That's not technical- that's entirely subjective as long as they name is pronounceable. Also, you say that you try to go with what the creators wanted... except the times where you don't like what they did so you change it. I know with the case of Belf you did it with the general approval of the community, but I could see Vergil being pushed through even if Belf had won.

The technical parts let you get to reasonable names, but there is no objective way to determine whether or not a name is "good" beyond things like Asseray which would be openly mocked.

Vergil's case was special and isn't happening again, especially after all this bitching about it.

But then it could also be ironic. Unless I'm mistaken, Malliesia wouldn't be particularly unfitting for any interpretation of her character.

What kind of name is Malliesia and how do you pronounce it?

Tip: You're supposed to pronounce it like "Malicia."

It's the idea that your opinion is so right that other people shouldn't have the option even in the privacy of their own home to have characters called what you don't think they should be called.

tastes.jpg

You decide to take a joke seriously despite knowing it's a joke

For your own good, I hope you're just trolling

Specifically, I mean the outburst when Malicia was chosen after it lost the poll here

There was a poll here? Because there wasn't one in the blog, unlike happened with Vergil.

Edited by TheEnd

I'm tempted to release the text editor with a "bug" that causes all attempts to insert Belf into the game turn up as Vergil.

Add a Malliesia bug too

And why is that?

You're an interesting fellow, you tell us that you know it's a joke and then proceed to take it seriously. But anyway, let's compare the amount of ridiculousness in the two. It would take 10-15 minutes to add the "bug" into the text editor at tops. Yet, it would be childish to do so and therefore I would never actually do it. Compare that to the amount of time people have spent actually arguing the Belf VS Vergil and other name changes in this thread, without actually accomplishing anything. Heck, it took me more time to actually make these 2 posts than it would be to add the "feature". I could even claim that the amount of time it took to make the text editor was around the same as the amount of time people have spent arguing the name changes in this thread (though my memory is fuzzy, the text editor was made quite some time ago). So I guess I'm saying you are wasting your time.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Thread locked because all these silly arguments over decisions made a long time ago do absolutely nothing but apparently instigate more silly arguments for the sake of arguing. If you want updates, look in the blog or hope that VASM will still post here because you probably would take more time than you should to find any update in this mess if this crap were to resume as is.

Edited by Sirius