Fire Emblem 12 ~Heroes~ Translation Project

Cry to someone else, I don't care about your problems, if you don't like it then keep it to yourself. I have to deal with way too many people like you who want everything their way for their own selfish reasons. We've considered everything you've mentioned on more than one occasion.

So if you didn't take the hint, stop arguing, you're making a fool out of yourself. Also, if you think opinions aren't equal, then fine, your opinion is worth zilch.

Also sorry in advance if I've said any insults or anything else offensive, I am just tired of everyone wanting things their way. I knew this would happen when I started a translation but it got way too old way too quickly... *sigh*

@Jose I agree but our team really hates abbreviating and of the people we polled they preferred Star Potion by too large a number, despite being informed of the situation... so just as people have to live with Nintendo's localizations (Sheeda-Caeda, Doga->Draug, etc.) they'll have to live with ours... :\

Coliseum sounds too much like an arena IMO, same for Stadium, battlefield makes me think of a huge war zone, and I'm not sure people die in sparring...

Edited by Luffy

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't really want to discuss the Rainbow Potion for the time being, because I have nothing to add, but I have made some other (possibly not final) changes:

FE12transF001.png

Cry to someone else, I don't care about your problems, if you don't like it then keep it to yourself. I have to deal with way too many people like you who want everything their way for their own selfish reasons. We've considered everything you've mentioned on more than one occasion.

So if you didn't take the hint, stop arguing, you're making a fool out of yourself. Also, if you think opinions aren't equal, then fine, your opinion is worth zilch.

Disproportionally funny (and self-reflective).

Drill grounds seems to suggest you won't be able to die, however. It has too much of a controlled-environment in its general connotation. A permanent death might not be expected by the players with an unclear wording (though is generally helpful for killing off useless units :P ). It's just as Life-or-Death as the original Arena :mellow: Though if it's an accurate translation of the original text, that's a bit fool-hardy on the game itself rather than the translators.

EDIT: dundundunduuuuuuun

Edited by Celice

I think somebody pointed out in this topic, but the original name is literally "Training Ground" or "Practice Ground". While I do agree it's a bit confusing (and I wonder why they didn't do it like FE4's arena where you get stuck with 1 HP after losing), I'm really hesitant about changing it especially when it took me ages to find an IMO great name for it that fits.

Not sure if Jagen (or whoever) mentions it to the player in dialogue, but the description sort of gives you a clue that the battle is for real ("real battle conditions").

Also I apologise in advance if it seems like I'm shooting down ideas or ignoring them. I do keep all these suggestions in mind (otherwise I wouldn't be changing things that have already been decided), but due to various reasons (such as what I mentioned about the training arena), many of them will not make the cut straight away.

Edited by VincentASM

Perhaps change the description of Drill Grounds to this?

"Earn experience by fighting under real battle conditions"

What happens if your character dies in Casual MOde in this place? (and does it even exist?)

Just two things.

How are you going to translate the Shield of Seals. It doesn´t fit. I am specially interested on how you wil put that. S. of Seals, Shield of S., Shield Emblem

I think everything above 11-12 characters does not fit when forgoing weapons so it may be the same lengh to normal game items. Putting words together might be a solution...

In casual mode character who die in the arena cannot be used for the chapter I think...

Rainbow Drink doesn't fit. I know because Rainbow Ptn just about fits.

That's not a bad idea. I'll bear that in mind, thanks.

How are you going to translate the Shield of Seals. It doesn´t fit. I am specially interested on how you wil put that. S. of Seals, Shield of S., Shield Emblem

It's currently...

Bindingshield, which just fits.

BTW, if anybody wants to preview the patch without actually playing the game, you should check out Kelsper's LP. Note that only from Part #19 and onwards is the latest version of the patch being used.

Forgot about "Vial". Yeah, it fits fine, I'll add it to the poll.

I'd prefer to have some kind of sealing reference in there. It's true that they call it an Emblem Shield in dialogue, but that's before it gets restored.

It is a "sealing" shield, or is it more like a dormant, torpid shield? This opens your language a bit if you're stretched for space

Unless it means Seal'd Shield? :E

Edited by Celice

IIRC Sealed Shield didn't fit either. >_____>

this

Speaking of that, there isn't any specific character limit. It really does depend on the letters used for an overall width in pixels, or something like that. Thus it's not completely unpredictable but we can get good guesses as to what does and doesn't fit.

Edited by Luffy

IIRC Sealed Shield fits, but I hated it so I changed it ; )

The only reason I joined the translation team was so that I could stop them from using the travesty that is the Sealed Shield, because it being sealed is more important than it sealing things, right?

Just kidding... kind of

EDIT

Just to be more clear, the Japanese name for the Shield of Seals, like the Sword of Seals, can be translated either way, i.e Sealed Shield or Sealing Shield. You need to look at the context to determine which one it should be.

Edited by VincentASM

Well that's what I'm wondering, since I don't know the context. Isn't it that the shield is restored?

Didn't the localized FE11 just use squishy tiles to fit the whole name in? At least I seem to recall something being made of squishies in that game D:

It might have been the native Japanese actually. In any case, you could just use the same method, right?

Edited by Celice

Well that's what I'm wondering, since I don't know the context. Isn't it that the shield is restored?

Not sure what you mean in your question. I'll just briefly describe the story of the shield:

[spoiler=FE3/12 spoilers]Originally Naga created the Shield of Seals to seal away the defeated Earth Dragons within the Dragon's Altar and he placed it at the Fane of Raman. Later, the shield was stolen, its holy spheres removed and eventually it became the royal treasure of Archanea. By then, the shield was referred to as the Fire Emblem or the Emblem Shield. In this game, Marth collects the 5 spheres and restores the Fire Emblem to its true form and it becomes the Shield of Seals once more.

Both the Japanese and English versions use squishy text. I have an idea of how they're used, but I don't yet know how to implement them in the font graphics.

Edited by VincentASM

Just downloaded the version on the first post, and it can't be played on a R4 card. It's all fine until you reach the part where the first map is supposed to begin, but at that part (right in between My Unit positions himself and Player Phase starts), the screen glitches and the scene where My Unit bumps into Katarina plays again. This repeats one more time, and I'm guessing ad infinitum.

I just downloaded and gave it a try on my Supercard, and it runs fine. Redownload the ROM and play it unpatched in Japanese and see if the bug still occurs. If it does, you might have a pirate-clone of an R4/bad firmware. Make sure you download the most compatible whatever for you card. The R4 has been surviving and receiving unofficial updates by its own customers last I heard.

(also, the patch works on a pre-trimmed copy of the game, though that's to be somewhat expected~)

And if it wasn't caught yet, the description of the Rainbow Potion should be 'rainbow-colored' in it.

I don't have anti-piracy patches or flashcart fixes or anything applied on this, just the raw translation, get a better flashcart, upgrade the firmware, etc. as Celice said, or look for a patch that DOES fix it. It works fine on my Supercard DS2 as well and also works on Desmume.