Fire Emblem 12 ~Heroes~ Translation Project

Cry to someone else, I don't care about your problems, if you don't like it then keep it to yourself. I have to deal with way too many people like you who want everything their way for their own selfish reasons. We've considered everything you've mentioned on more than one occasion.

Oh, please. I have no personal stake in this, and I highly doubt that your posse of translators and hackers have given every option its due consideration.

So if you didn't take the hint, stop arguing, you're making a fool out of yourself. Also, if you think opinions aren't equal, then fine, your opinion is worth zilch.

Wow, aren't you acting childish! Do you always take critical suggestions so personally?

Edited by dondon151

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just downloaded the version on the first post, and it can't be played on a R4 card. It's all fine until you reach the part where the first map is supposed to begin, but at that part (right in between My Unit positions himself and Player Phase starts), the screen glitches and the scene where My Unit bumps into Katarina plays again. This repeats one more time, and I'm guessing ad infinitum.

Try using wood R4. It's what I'm using, and I'm able to play it just fine. Also iirc the My Unit bumping into Katarina happened with the unpatched japanese rom as well, so it's not the patch but the rom itself.

Random thought on the Shield of Seals length. "Aegis Seal".

Aegis implies the protection that a shield offers while also catering to the sealing nature of the artifact.

Plus, I think the name sounds alright given the nature of the game.

Also, is there a reason why character names in dialogue are a single character? Is this due to the limitation of space in dialogue or something else?

Edited by Nyx

Random thought on the Shield of Seals length. "Aegis Seal".

Aegis implies the protection that a shield offers while also catering to the sealing nature of the artifact.

Plus, I think the name sounds alright given the nature of the game.

Also, is there a reason why character names in dialogue are a single character? Is this due to the limitation of space in dialogue or something else?

I think the single-letter names are remnants of not understanding how exactly the text works. It's been like that for a year now, since that first patch, if I remember correctly. Hopefully it can be better understood, or attempted to be understood, soon with these translation updates.

For 'Aegis Shield's argument... part of the meaning of the item is tethered with the story. Shield of Seals is reflective of its purpose. Aegis shield disconnects itself by depending solely on its own connotation, rather than a connotation connected with the plot. It's akin to calling the Sword of Seals from FE6 a 'Siren's Sword' for similar reasons you gave.

Well the other side of the coin is, there's this big hullabaloo about apparently a huge poll that I honestly didn't know ever existed. I don't know that you can really infer anything about the cross-section of people who voted in the poll and whether or not they are representative of the target audience. An even then, the goal of translating shouldn't be to "please the majority". It should be to come to a solution that is faithful to the original intent yet works in the new language/medium/etc.

An even then, the goal of translating shouldn't be to "please the majority". It should be to come to a solution that is faithful to the original intent yet works in the new language/medium/etc.

In your opinion, sure. This also isn't a pure translation project. Everything we do isn't a true localization. Also, the team decided on Star Potion before the poll, really. The poll was more or less a confirmation... a confirmation so overwhelming that we could neglect the fact that it's not the most accurate, or even a very accurate, form of surveying the wants/opinions of fans.

While I'm not going to cry about Aegis Shield since I don't do much of the translating/localizing for the game, mainly the hacking/organizing, I'm not particularly fond of throwing in a new word that many people will likely not be familiar with. 'Shield of Seals' is pretty obvious as to what it does. 'Aegis Shield' isn't as obvious...

It's temporary, we can fix it but fixing it will mess up Japanese text. Between having abbreviated names in the boxes (the truth is, only the capital letters work, which is usually only the first letter), and having messed up text all over due to edits to the font and whatnot, we decided the former would be a lot better, even if neither of them have a major impact IIRC. On the final patch it'll display the whole name and dialog will be translated as well. Vincent knows more about this since he did the most work on the font.

Edited by Luffy

Just found out that the problem was that I was on an outdated version of Wood R4. The Japanese ROM I've been playing these past months was a patched version meant to play on that version of Wood.

I'll update the firmware and let you guys know how it runs. Thanks everyone for the tips.

Echoing what Blazer mentioned earlier, you should check out the Prologue I demo, which shows the character names in dialogue in full. So having the full names is definitely doable.

The reason why the names are like is because the original Japanese font doesn't have support for lowercase English symbols in the dialogue, so these symbols have to be hacked in. We just decided not to use the hacked font for this menu patch for logistical and other reasons (like to prevent the dialogue from being a mixture of Japanese and English garble).

About the Shield of Seals, I'm quite happy with using "Bindingshield" to be honest (though I would prefer a space between the two words). It's not like "Shield of Seals" is any better at describing the item (what's a "of seals"?). "Binding Shield" also fits in with NOA's "Binding Blade" localisation.

Edited by VincentASM

When did Binding Blade get used? I haven't played many of the newer Fire Emblems (in English) in a while D:

Also, I found it entertaining that the guide had its still-kana selection perfectly synced with the English names (for the most part).

yay :o:

Are you creating actual squished tiles (monospaced) or a separate, thinner letter (a duplicate letters still using VWF?). I'm not sure which one might actually be more efficient than the other... but then again, I don't really think you'll be limited for space with how the DS stores and references most of its files.

I'm testing out monospaced tiles right now, since that's what NOA/NOE used. I was actually thinking of creating a thinner duplicated font, but NOA/NOE didn't go through this route, so I can only assume there must be a reason for it (laziness?).

Right now I can only use tiles that already exist (i.e in the English release of FE11). Perhaps Blazer or somebody else knows how to create new tiles.

At least we're getting close...

lol99usegoddessicon

Are the Oversize letters going to be inserted? (The ones you can use while naming a forge or a team) And if so are they available to name MU with?

Echoing what Blazer mentioned earlier, you should check out the Prologue I demo, which shows the character names in dialogue in full. So having the full names is definitely doable.

The reason why the names are like is because the original Japanese font doesn't have support for lowercase English symbols in the dialogue, so these symbols have to be hacked in. We just decided not to use the hacked font for this menu patch for logistical and other reasons (like to prevent the dialogue from being a mixture of Japanese and English garble).

About the Shield of Seals, I'm quite happy with using "Bindingshield" to be honest (though I would prefer a space between the two words). It's not like "Shield of Seals" is any better at describing the item (what's a "of seals"?). "Binding Shield" also fits in with NOA's "Binding Blade" localisation.

If I may, Binding Aegis is probably the one that I would go with. It allows a space, which looks better, and the term "Aegis" does have a bit more mystical connotation than just "shield".

However, the "front part of a cuirass" isn't exactly a shield, now is it. Calling it a 'Binding Breastplate...' when it obviously is nothing of the sort, is kinda... yeah... ._.

._______________________________.

(and now you have a piece of faux-armor that apparently deals in asphyxiation--a binding, choking breastplate. wonders)

Hm?

In Greek mythology, the Aegis was the word for the "shield of the gods". In the Iliad, it referred to the shield or buckler of Athena or Zeus, forged by Hephaestus, god of the forge. It later has uses as an emblem on the shield or breastplate of a ruler, but its original use was as the shield of the gods. Can't imagine a better term.

As an aside... "Malicia"? Really? Who thought that was a better translation than either Malliesia or Melissa?

Edited by Seven Deadly Sins