Fire Emblem 12 ~Heroes~ Translation Project

And its basis was a cloak, sometimes adorning, or enclosing, a shield, oft worn by religious people. From memory. It also has an egyptian root. Then, aside from historical sense, its definition from dictionaries include:

"Armor plate that protects the chest; the front part of a cuirass" and "Kindly endorsement and guidance"

hum That's four different expressions which all connect to 'Aegis.' Only one reflects a shield, and that's of a specific, religious mythos. One which doesn't exactly align with the Shield of Seals much :/

Edited by Celice

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/aegis

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/aegis

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/aegis?region=us

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegis

Aegis has commonplace in Greek mythology as a shield.

There are many references to mythological items or creatures in the fire emblem games (http://www.serenesforest.net/general/mythology.htm), so it is not uncommon to see these words used in the series.

The word references an actual mythological shield. It's very definition implies "protection" which a shield obviously does.

Aegis is a perfectly reasonable substitute for shield in translation. Use some other word for the "Sealed/Seals" bit.

Okay, I am done with my beinglikedondonandhisrainbowpotion rant.

Also, much thanks to the work on this translation. The game is much more enjoyable now when one is not struggling to read or making the occasional mistake with command selections.

As an aside... "Malicia"? Really? Who thought that was a better translation than either Malliesia or Melissa?

It's closer to "Malicia" than "Melissa" for sure, although the latter is a much more common name. I still don't understand the point behind changing commonly accepted translations that have been used for years. From a technical standpoint, I think that "Malliesia" conveys the held phoneme more adequately than "Malicia" does.

My hunch is that Blazer held another one of his polls and a couple hundred lemmings converged and democratically decided on a wholly unnecessary name change. Unless "Malliesia" doesn't fit in the game, but I doubt that's the case based on its sheer number of l's and i's.

EDIT: Eclipse brings up a good point as well.

Edited by dondon151

I see "Malicia", and I think I'm gonna get her confused with Marcia (who's not even in this game) and Maris/Malice (who is).

I also explicitly remember in the original translation seeing it as Malliesia, so the change was a little startling.

That said, either Malliesia or Melissa would be superior simply because of what Eclipse pointed out: the similarity to an actual character's name from the same game: Malice/Maris.

Are the Oversize letters going to be inserted? (The ones you can use while naming a forge or a team) And if so are they available to name MU with?

Yes.

My hunch is that Blazer held another one of his polls and a couple hundred lemmings converged and democratically decided on a wholly unnecessary name change. Unless "Malliesia" doesn't fit in the game, but I doubt that's the case based on its sheer number of l's and i's.

No, actually I coerced persuaded the team to use Malicia. That's all I'll say on the matter for now.

As for name confusion, we considered that and decided it can't be helped. We're talking about the series that has Arran, Aran (Brad) and Allen. I still don't remember who's Bord or who's Cord. Etc. Besides, we used Maris for the female Myrmidon, which is fairly different looking to Malicia.

Edited by VincentASM

It's closer to "Malicia" than "Melissa" for sure, although the latter is a much more common name. I still don't understand the point behind changing commonly accepted translations that have been used for years. From a technical standpoint, I think that "Malliesia" conveys the held phoneme more adequately than "Malicia" does.

Didn't you just complain about him doing the exact opposite??

My hunch is that Blazer held another one of his polls and a couple hundred lemmings converged and democratically decided on a wholly unnecessary name change.

You DO realize that I'm NOT the one behind most of the translating and localizing, right? In fact I don't think I've made a single decision on my own, only supported other people's ideas. :\ I lol'd.

Also we're not bound to the translation of FE3 nor are we bound by some people who are used to a name. Also I might as well just name that cleric girl "Mal" because her name is just that--bad.

I still don't understand the point behind changing commonly accepted translations that have been used for years.

Best sounding, best fitting, most accurate translations purely consistent only to OFFICIAL translations. That's my aim, and probably close to the aim of the rest of the team. Most people I know haven't played FE3 which was the point of remaking it or so I thought but here I am working on a translation so English people can play this gameso as far as I'm concerned they should be exposed to the best name (that fits) rather than sticking to other not-as-good names that only have precedence as a reputable characteristic.

Although as I said I still don't decide this stuff, I'm only going to speak up if I think the name is so unbearably terrible that I might quit the project. Like Maillieasia or whatever it was. :P

Although I'd suggest Mallesia for the name, but whatev

IIRC Mallesia diverges slightly too much from an accurate translation of the original name in its katakana form (but forgive me if I'm wrong) and doesn't count as localization unless "Mallesia" is actually a somewhat common name.

Melissa makes me think of this one bitch I know so I'm killing her off in my personal playthrough if that becomes her name

IIRC Mallesia diverges slightly too much from an accurate translation of the original name in its katakana form (but forgive me if I'm wrong) and doesn't count as localization unless "Mallesia" is actually a somewhat common name.

Melissa makes me think of this one bitch I know so I'm killing her off in my personal playthrough if that becomes her name

Why is this issue? Do you think IS makes accurate translations of everything? They do what looks good.

Or do they? :D

I'm going to pull a Vincent and stay quiet/observe for a while. Keep up the suggestions guys, we'll be sure to make changes as we think they fit since this isn't a final patch by far. We just ask that you thoroughly think things out from all sides/perspectives, including SFers, other forums, voiced fans, unvoiced fans, and the translation team. ^_^

Edited by Luffy

Why is this issue? Do you think IS makes accurate translations of everything? They do what looks good.

Except Shiida.

Except Shiida.

They changed it to Caeda for the US release which isn't half bad.

Honestly other than Lorenz and Jeorge most of the name changes weren't bad at all. Matthis > Macchis, Sedgar > Zaggaro, Vyland > Villuck, etc. And in other FE games we've also gotten some great name changes. Artur > Asseray, Gerik > Xyst, Brom > Chap, Mia > Wayu.

Except Shiida.

They changed it to Caeda for the US release which isn't half bad

Despite being one of the more known "stay to the kana bastards" for the people who know me, I'm gonna have to agree that Caeda isn't half bad ._.

A "C" type spelling for an American English localization for a name makes to look more feminine while keeping it sounding the same as original.

For anyone who HASN'T played the translated FE3 or FE1 or prowls these forums, it's probably more than believable, especially to those who've only heard of Marth through Smash Bros. and never pursued it like probably a lot of us here who ended up on FE forums.

Edited by shadowofkitty

Well I meant how they used Shiida in the EU version for whatever reason, it just looks very ugly. I know what they were going for with Caeda, but I just can't see anything but "Kay-duh" from it.

2. I really couldn't care less if "Star Potion" is the internal codename; "Rainbow Potion" is a much closer translation of "七色の薬."

yeah you did

yeah you did

He's saying in both cases that he wants the translations to be what players are familiar with, which are Rainbow Potion and Maliesa or however the hell you spell it since the name looks like a mispelling anyways.

Rainbow Potion being Rainbow Vial or Star Potion I don't really find a big deal as long as it fits it (Star Potion I can at least kinda get, since it gives you a universal stat boost much like the Star Orb. Prism Potion is just "wat"). Maliesa I'd be perfectly ok with her having a name that doesn't look like a typo, and Malicia is an accurate translation of the katakana, so I'm down with that.

I'm upset about Maris not being Malice though, considering her personality is accurately described by her name (and could be considered a moniker rather than her real name, like a name she earned due to her attitude as she became a better known merc), and Maris just kinda...Well, it sounds kinda underwhelming.

Edited by Grandkitty

The first time he went "Oh you can't use that, it's not what the game says" and now he's saying "You can't use that, it's not what we're used to". He just wants what he wants, not what's actually best.

Also I don't really care about the potion, but I do prefer the name Malice.

edit: is there a list of names they're using somewhere? I can't seem to find one

Edited by Saloma

They changed it to Caeda for the US release which isn't half bad.

Honestly other than Lorenz and Jeorge most of the name changes weren't bad at all. Matthis > Macchis, Sedgar > Zaggaro, Vyland > Villuck, etc. And in other FE games we've also gotten some great name changes. Artur > Asseray, Gerik > Xyst, Brom > Chap, Mia > Wayu.

You're complaining about Lorenz and Jeorge? Personally they were some of the ones I looked upon most favourably. I do agree on the rest of them though. Probably the closest example to 'Malliesia' I can think of off the top of my head is 'Soanevalcke', which became 'Stefan' to general relief. I support Malicia with the same general feeling, while simultaneously supporting 'Malice'.

I think it would be okay to give them the character and item names.

I'm upset about Maris not being Malice though, considering her personality is accurately described by her name (and could be considered a moniker rather than her real name, like a name she earned due to her attitude as she became a better known merc), and Maris just kinda...Well, it sounds kinda underwhelming.

As for Maris, that's what the game uses and I noticed it's a name used in Greek mythology. I also thought "Malice" was too strong of a name for her (I haven't checked all her dialogue, but she came across as more of a rough-talking, gold-grabbing tomboy than a vengeful or deadly mercenary). I do admit that Malice is probably the more attractive looking name and it fits in with her father's name, Dice.