SSBB news!

Metal Rabbit

Their swordplay is completely different. You must be blind. Either that or you know nothing about swordplay.

Edit: You notice the difference between Link and Marth/Roy because Link's sword is huge in comparison, and as such Link puts much more effort into swinging it around. Also Link's style is very rough and unrefined. Marth's on the other hand is quick and precise, dealing minimal amounts of damage unless used properly, during which the opponent is hit with repeated attacks dealing a greater amount of damage than single blows. Roy is more refined than Link, but less than Marth, likely due to his young age. His sword also appears to be a bit heavier, besides the fact that Roy focuses on powerful single blows or very small combos, while Marth uses extremely quick and long chain attacks.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may not know swordplay, but I know my SSBM. Just because Marth aims for the tip of his blade doesn't make his smash animation visually any different from Roy's. That's what I mean by Style. Their feel is wayyy different; that's not what I'm trying to debate.

-_- Their strategies are different, yet their attacks - specifically which button combos unleash them - are exactly the same. How those attacks affect opponents differs between them, but that's why they're "clones." Variations are slight, regardless of how big of an impact those same variations make.

When you have to use an entirely different strategy to use a character due to their styles of attacking, that means they are NOT a clone.

Edit: You notice the difference between Link and Marth/Roy because Link's sword is huge in comparison, and as such Link puts much more effort into swinging it around. Also Link's style is very rough and unrefined.

Link's sword is fatter, but it has less range...I hate playing as Link, because he is so annoying sword wise as compared to Marth/Roy...

To the general public, Marth and Roy are clones. Obviously there are differences, but not enough for anyone to say that they are ENTIRELY different. Because if you are good with one, you have some skill with the other.

-_- Their strategies are different, yet their attacks - specifically which button combos unleash them - are exactly the same. How those attacks affect opponents differs between them, but that's why they're "clones." Variations are slight, regardless of how big of an impact those same variations make.

I agree. Regardless of little differences, their moves are the same. Their styles are different, yeah, but their moves are the same. I'd say that makes them clones.

As for Mario and Luigi?

In SSB, Luigi is basically a clone, if memory serves. His attacks are all the same. The only difference I can think of is Luigi's fire balls defy gravity- they don't fall down if you use them over an edge.

In SSBM, I they aren't clones per se. I guess you could consider them clones, even though their moves aren't exactly the same.

But in all actuality, who cares? Arguing over weather Marth/Roy and Mario/Luigi are clones are not is like arguing over how to pronounce tomato, caramel, potato, or vase. It doesn't really matter, because in the end, Meta Knight still wins. :)

<3 Meta Knight. And Red, I think it would be safe to assume that'd you'd run into spoilers in a topic talking about Brawl, so there's no use in harping on it...what's done is done.

Are you like 8 CGV? Marth is both stronger and faster, not to mention not as heavy as captain fast fall, I mean Roy. Anyways, the originals and clones are as follows:

Mario-Dr. Mario

Pikachu-Pichu

Marth-Roy

Link-Young Link

Captain Falcon-Ganondorf

Fox-Falco

They all have multiple differences but are accepted as clones by 95% of the world.

^Fastfalling is far superior for the way Roy plays.

Roy can take on Marth 1v1, but Marth fares better against threats like Peach and Sheik.

I prefer Roy as well, he just doesn't shine in competitive play. Like Pokemon, underused characters have the element of surprise, and that's the key to victory.

SSBM tier list

Top tier

Fox

Falco

High tier

Sheik

Marth

Peach

Middle tier

Captain Falcon

Ice Climbers

Samus

Dr. Mario

Jigglypuff

Mario

Ganondorf

Low tier

Link

Luigi

Donkey Kong

Roy

Young Link

Pikachu

Bottom tier

Yoshi

Zelda

Mr. Game and Watch

Ness

Bowser

Kirby

Pichu

Mewtwo

...They actually have tier lists for Melee?

Yeah, and also 1 for 64:

SSB tier list

Top tier

Pikachu

Kirby

Ness

High tier

Fox

Captain Falcon

Middle tier

Jigglypuff

Mario

Yoshi

Low tier

Donkey Kong

Luigi

Bottom tier

Samus

Link

I'm REALLY mad that they nerfed Pika, Kirbz, and Nessy boy for Melee though...