Fire Emblem: A Sacred Dawn DX

Mage Knight 404

She's come to Magvel along with her best friend, Anne, under a contract served by the academy.

Anne

Everything else looks great, too! ^_^

EDIT: Implying JoshxAnne? WHAT THE F***ING F**K, MAN!? :( But at least Shining Force music makes up for it a bit. ^_^

Edited by Swordsalmon

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT: Implying JoshxAnne? WHAT THE F***ING F**K, MAN!? :( But at least Shining Force music makes up for it a bit. ^_^

Yes, how dare he decide who each of his characters loves?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Though, looking back, she's hopefully not that Sue-ish. XD

The only real way to not make her "sue-ish" is to make her a bit older. She comes off a bit mary sue with her lack of imperfections. Considering she is only 16, if you are trying to have FE characters be relatable to "earth" teenagers anyhow with them not being nearly in control as they wish at such a young age, she needs something to bring her down a tad.

But then again, I am only going off of a small bio of the character, so there could be plenty in store for us that makes her a relatable teenager.

Also, this romhack inspired me to sign up for the forums. Awesome work you got going here, man. I cannot wait to see the finished product. Great times to ensue

Edited by Arek

The only real way to not make her "sue-ish" is to make her a bit older. She comes off a bit mary sue with her lack of imperfections. Considering she is only 16, if you are trying to have FE characters be relatable to "earth" teenagers anyhow with them not being nearly in control as they wish at such a young age, she needs something to bring her down a tad.

Hey, someone who agrees with me!

I will readily admit that it's hard for me to make flaws for characters. A large reason being(due to my lack of creativity) that it's tough to think up of some that can relate to the character and with so many flaws that could exist. It's really annoying to me.(the worst I might've done at current is Julie potentially freezing up whenever fighting rolls around) To Heather's defense, she does have a lot more story behind her, but it would mean heavy spoilers if I said anything. o_o

I just have to say MK, I totally know where you're coming from. It's not easy to give people interesting flaws without them seeming cliche or just "added on" for the sake of having a flaw... Perhaps even moreso in a game which, despite having a story like a book, is not a book, and thus does not work in the same manner as most literary works.

If I had to make a suggestion, the "freezing up" bit actually fits extremely well. She's a 16-year old girl who's never been in a real fight before, and doesn't like the idea of actually harming someone (at least, from what I can tell); it wouldn't make sense for her NOT to freeze up when thrust into a real combat situation, where both her life and her opponent's life are in real danger, and where she has to harm or kill people in order to protect herself and her friends/family. It may come as a surprise, but most sane humans do NOT like killing other humans; even in real-life combat in wars, only about 20-30% of the soldiers actually fire their guns, and for firing squads, they loaded some of the guns with blanks, so that the killing shot couldn't ever be pinned on a single person, and thus the guilt couldn't rest with any single person on the squad. These are trained soldiers, and they still hesitate to harm or kill their enemies. A young teen girl with no field experience and an aversion to killing? Forget about it.

She's a 16-year old girl who's never been in a real fight before, and doesn't like the idea of actually harming someone (at least, from what I can tell);

I don't see where you got that. That is Julie, not Heather

I would imagine Knight training would have a lot of psychological lessons to go along with it, considering how sophisticated it sounds. They would have to train soldiers, especially REALLY REALLY young ones being 16, how to cope with danger and fighting.

Avoid anime tropes with what Leaf said about her being super nervous with Heather. Tired of girls in anime seeming "strong" then being super scared/nervous/ditsy/etc. If she is someone that is confident and someone that makes you stronger internally when around her, she has to portray those qualities outside AND inside battle.

This is why I say make her older. Imagine a 16 year old going into the military then being sent out to Libya not too long after. It would be far too hard on their psyche to do so.

Since fire emblem games *and really japan in general* likes to keep characters young, I would say 19-20 would be the perfect age for her. She still could be young while also having experience to make her someone that is strong to be around. I know plenty in the military that are around that age that I know are very confident people that have that same sort of feel that you are going for, both men and women.

Edited by Arek

I think you missed the memo where it said Julie's not actually undergoing knight training.

She's casually learning how to swing a sword under her father's tutelage. None of this psychological learning stuff.

o 3 o

Arek: I agree with what you say, but I will not change Heather's age. Even if being that young, that's how I see her as: a teenager. This pretty much applies to any of my characters, really. If it conflicts with how I see them as, I might have a problem. :c

Arek: I agree with what you say, but I will not change Heather's age. Even if being that young, that's how I see her as: a teenager. This pretty much applies to any of my characters, really. If it conflicts with how I see them as, I might have a problem. :c

Yeah

Besides, RPGs have younger females. Look at Nino in FE7, Relm in FF6, Eiko in 9, The daughter in Dragon Quest 5, Aht in Radiant Historia, etc. Youth really isn't a problem in RPGs unless they are displayed so horribly. I know the FE series has been a bit more realistic than other games with this, but it still doesn't isn't a problem.

Hehe, no worries.

The best way then to keep her that age while still keeping her relatable would be then to, at least in an A rank support with one of the twins, show that she does get nervous *not like julie style shaking or whatever* time to time on the field but knows inside that she can do it because she has people that look up to her like said twin.

Something that shows she is a bit nervous internally, but she uses the inspiration from those that really look up to her to push herself to make those nerves go away.

That way at least you can show she doesn't come across as "oh look a sue". It may come off a TAD corny, but I have seen way worse in almost every anime that features a girl *one of the main reasons i stopped watching anime years ago* as well as JRPG's that have females as main leads. Also, with her revealing her internal doubt as a support, it shows that she is strong and able to confide in a close friend her weaknesses so that she can work on them or something.

Iono, I always viewed supports as more than just "conversations", especially A ranked ones. They are bonds being made with characters.

Sorry if this is a jumbled mess. I have yet to get my adhd medication for the month, so I am writing this off my pill lol. If it is hard to understand, I will rewrite it later when I am able to keep thoughts straight.

Edited by Arek

A minor delay, but I suppose it was worth it for the bit of effort I put into this one.

FEASDDXCh3.png

Here's Chapter 3.

The team is moving along through the mountainside thanks to Alice. Julie and Josh start to have a bit of a fond memory of their departed mother when the Grado soldiers start moving in on their location. Turns out they're gearing up for a fight with Renais. Heather suggests they make a run for it avoid the fight, but they're too slow. Worse, the Renais knights think they're Grado reinforcements! Now it's a double header!

Julie and her team have to hold out for several turns before Tuck and Russ can bail them out of this predicament!

I like how this map came out, I really do.

Also, I have a bit of a gift for you guys. A majority of you have been very patient with me, so I reward you with my Armorknight animation! Just give credit if you decide to use it!

Armorknight.zip

Edited by Mage Knight 404

that sounds pretty stupid honestly, sure there is one grado soldier in the mix, but i doubt the guy was that popular or well known.

Or in full unifor-

Oh, wait.

you listed charactors who i highly doubt will make an appearance besides Vigarde, who's the king who so he wear whatever he wants

The point he was making, you dolt, was that GBA enemies are /red by default/ because of palettes, not red because they're grado soldiers.

And he was pointing out characters who are grado soldiers, and who don't wear red. Thereby making your point completely invalid.

Should I use smaller words, or do you finally grasp that?

Oh, and watch, now you're going to post how 'offended' you are. Yeahdon'tcare, just get the point and move on.

That's beside the point. You said they had red armor, while that isn't necessarily true.

Not to mention, the GBA has always used red as a generic enemy default. Hell, all games save for FE9 and 10 have done that. Or are you saying that red went out of style for Caelin between Lyn's story and the main story of FE7?

Edited by The Blind Archer