Religion

TLSothe

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe in any form of religions. I'm Atheist, as they call it. Don't question why, just live and die.
Wow. That sounds kinda depressing, yet, catchy

hey, I thought so, too

Edited by CGV

Technically ALL religions start out as cults.

Yeah, but they don't all go around sacrificing small woodland creatures and worshipping Satan.

I mean, I think Satan might be an okay guy if you talked to him man to man, but the cultists are worshiping him for the wrong reasons.

There are many different cults other than Satanism you know.

Don't go saying "Yeah but they (as in religions) don't go around sacrificing small woodland creatures and worshipping Satan." as if they're all the same.

Don't go saying "Yeah but they (as in religions) don't go around sacrificing small woodland creatures and worshipping Satan." as if they're all the same.

ya some warship the devil instead.

I was just sayin. No offence intended.

ya some warship the devil instead.

Uh. Satan is the devil.....

I was just sayin. No offence intended.

Uh. Satan is the devil.....

I don't get offended over stupid things.

"*GASP* RELIGION ISN'T STUPID"

I'm talking about someone using some crappy stereotype.

Also, getting offended by anything someone says is stupid as far as I'm concerned.

uh... aren't satanists, atheists?

No, atheists don't believe in any god. Satanists believe in God, but they follow Satan.

It's debatable which group is worse though. XD/jk

really? i think ill find out religion's secrets WHEN I DIE...

Won't it be too late then?

I heard you can still repent even if you go to hell, it isn't for eternity. Unless you're Hitler.

I actually read the Satanic Bible last year during fall. It was a very interesting example of Illusionism in literature. That is, it was like a magic trick. Only LaVey (the author of the Satanic Bible), was trying to alter the reader's thoughts on religion. The best metaphor I can think of for it, is that he was seducing people over to his cult. I got the impression while reading it that it was mainly intended for atheists. While some of it seems targeted specifically to Christians, it seems half-assed compared to the rest of the book, as if LaVey didn't really expect to convert anyone who's faith wasn't shaky. Anyway, the Satanic Bible starts by pointing out what seem to be flaws in the theology of the Christians, and, -at least it seemed like it to me- stroking the egos of atheists for questioning such 'fairy tales'. The scary thing is, in the beginning of that book, it makes sense. Instead of reading about sacrificing goats to demons, I was reading logical arguments.

Then the book started talking about the counterpart to God. The Devil, Satan, the advesary. It talked about how the role of the Devil was necessary for the Church (arguments I don't agree with, and don't want and don't feel like writing out). What caught my attention was that when LaVey had talked about God, he had made it a point to write as if he wasn't real. But when he was talking about the Devil, he spoke as if Satan was a real person/demon/thing.

When LaVey had finished building up the part of the Devil, making it sound as if he was a scapegoat and trying to make the part of God seem less, something very interesting happened. In the text, LaVey's arguments were no longer about how God didn't exist, but how his power was far lesser than that of Satan's. This was perfectly executed. I didn't even realize what he had done until I thought about it for a while. In my mind, all it is, is an illusion. He distracts the reader by slowly gaining momentum with his ideas on Satan until at the very end you have the roles reversed. It was something I found awesome and sickening at the same time.

I actually read the Satanic Bible last year during fall. It was a very interesting example of Illusionism in literature. That is, it was like a magic trick. Only LaVey (the author of the Satanic Bible), was trying to alter the reader's thoughts on religion. The best metaphor I can think of for it, is that he was seducing people over to his cult. I got the impression while reading it that it was mainly intended for atheists. While some of it seems targeted specifically to Christians, it seems half-assed compared to the rest of the book, as if LaVey didn't really expect to convert anyone who's faith wasn't shaky. Anyway, the Satanic Bible starts by pointing out what seem to be flaws in the theology of the Christians, and, -at least it seemed like it to me- stroking the egos of atheists for questioning such 'fairy tales'. The scary thing is, in the beginning of that book, it makes sense. Instead of reading about sacrificing goats to demons, I was reading logical arguments.

Then the book started talking about the counterpart to God. The Devil, Satan, the advesary. It talked about how the role of the Devil was necessary for the Church (arguments I don't agree with, and don't want and don't feel like writing out). What caught my attention was that when LaVey had talked about God, he had made it a point to write as if he wasn't real. But when he was talking about the Devil, he spoke as if Satan was a real person/demon/thing.

When LaVey had finished building up the part of the Devil, making it sound as if he was a scapegoat and trying to make the part of God seem less, something very interesting happened. In the text, LaVey's arguments were no longer about how God didn't exist, but how his power was far lesser than that of Satan's. This was perfectly executed. I didn't even realize what he had done until I thought about it for a while. In my mind, all it is, is an illusion. He distracts the reader by slowly gaining momentum with his ideas on Satan until at the very end you have the roles reversed. It was something I found awesome and sickening at the same time.

oh christ this shit is bananas

*goes to get reading glasses*

WRITE A FAN FIC!!!