HM S Rank + Efficency Playlog

Rules:

1) The goal is S ranking the game in as few turns as possible.

2) Roy will get his A with Linina and will not finish off Idoun to create the highest possible funds requirement (138,000G).

3) I will not use the Arena.

4) I will be visiting the Elfin and Sacae routes.

5) I apologize, but I simply cannot play this game on HM without save states. Early on, missing a single attack intended to finish something off can mean losing half your health on the counter and the other half on enemy phase. I am already using the fixed growth patch, and will try not to use them for bosses or high-risk tactical maneuvers.

Chapter 1

6 Turns

483 Exp (483/300)

---

Roy: 1.70

Marcus: 1.54

Allen: 1.72

Lance: 2.30

Wolt: 2.57

Bors: 1.00

About Wolt: it was part strategy, part circumstance. He’s the only one who can reliably attack over other units, and this was needed for a 6 turn clear (Same as my efficiency run) with Marcus only killing the boss. I was unable to get all 3 Fighters at the start to attack him on turn 1 enemy phase, so Marcus attacked the one in range, Wolt finished him and was rescue-dropped back so only Marcus could be attacked by the other 2, then he finished another on the next turn so Marcus could spend his advancing. Also on turn 5, where Roy needed to be in range of the Fighter and Archer at the end to seize on 6. Wolt needed a kill so Allen could use his turn to help Marcus block them. Besides, you do not S rank by funneling all the Exp into the best units. Bors was only good for visiting the village.

Edited by GreatEclipse

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter 2

7 Turns (13)

800 Exp (1283/600)

---

Roy: 3.41

Marcus: 1.86

Allen: 2.43

Lance: 2.81

Wolt: 3.04

Bors: 1.00

Ellen: 2.77

Dieck: 6.74

Ward: 2.71

Lot: 3.69

Thany: 1.37

3300G Spent

Iron Sword x 3

Iron Lance x 2

Javelin x 3

It’s really important for Allen and Lance to rescue-drop Marcus onto the fort on turn 1, so that on turn 2 he can grab Roy and charge once Wolt finishes the weakened Fighter blocking his way. After that they just take care of the 2 others with Hard Axes while Dieck destroys half the map with some help from Roy, Marcus, Ward and Lot. Merlinus was used to get the Armorslayer, and with Bors trading it from him I was able to get it to Thany by turn 3 and Dieck by turn 6. Merlinus did the shopping.

Oh, and thank you for the support.

Chapter 3

9 Turns (22)

1096 Exp (2379/1100)

---

Roy: 4.00

Marcus: 2.30

Allen: 3.58

Lance: 3.61

Wolt: 3.68

Bors: 1.44

Ellen: 3.64

Dieck: 8.04

Ward: 3.29

Lot: 4.24

Thany: 3.45

Chad: 2.12

Lugh: 1.00

The unit positions the game decides for you are really unhelpful for low-turning this map, so I needed something a bit creative. The 2 Solders + Archer at the start will kill almost anyone attacked by all 3, so on turn 1 Wolt was used to weaken the guy with the Javelin for Allen before being rescue-dropped with Lance and Bors onto a tile that put him just in range of the Archer. I also finally found a combat use for Bors, or at least I thought I did until I realized the 2 Solders on the way to Lugh did 5 each to his 20 HP, with Bors killing them in 3 with awful hit (He needed a Javelin to counter). His 11 Def just isn’t what it is in FE7. Ward and Lot ended up assisting him, with Merlinus heading to the other village and everyone else to the throne.

Thany will receive priority on kills from now until her early promotion in chapter 9. I wanted to do that last run, but emphases on turn counts prevented her from getting above 4/--. This is particularly important this time because 10B will be an absolute pain otherwise, between Tate and its 100HP walls. Marcus did most of the work on enemy phase, but the only enemies he was allowed to kill were Armors. He made a rush for the treasure room the turn after he countered 4 at the end of the hallway with a Javelin, and with some careful use of rescue-drop, Chad had barely enough move to grab the Halberd the same turn Dieck one-rounded the boss and Roy seized. Missed out on 3000G, but it was not worth holding up the chapter for a turn.

Edited by GreatEclipse

Well, what number do you think I should shoot for, given the other requirements?

I didn't mean to imply that 411 wasn't a low enough number; I was suggesting that GJ didn't understand that your turncount goal (411) and his turncount goal (~190) are very far apart.

That said, I think it would probably be more reasonable if your limit wasn't more than double my low turn clear (374 turns).

Edited by dondon151

I didn't mean to imply that 411 wasn't a low enough number; I was suggesting that GJ didn't understand that your turncount goal (411) and his turncount goal (~190) are very far apart.

That said, I think it would probably be more reasonable if your limit wasn't more than double my low turn clear (374 turns).

They're apples and oranges. It's silly to say that a ranked run should always get at most double the turncount of a low turn clear. Gathering the 50100 exp and 134000 Funds needed to S Rank might very well take 221 turns.

Well, I could try. We're getting ahead of ourselves with these benchmarks, really. I should just say I plan to S rank as fast as possible, because I have no idea what I'll need to do to keep up with exp on the late game maps (That you had the privilege of skipping with Warp and fliers).

Chapter 4

10 Turns (32)

1223 Exp (3602/2100)

--

Roy: 4.74

Marcus: 2.61

Allen: 4.25

Lance: 4.12

Wolt: 3.98

Ellen: 4.46

Dieck: 8.48

Ward: 3.85

Lot: 5.25

Thany: 4.88

Chad: 3.95

Lugh: 2.65

Clarine: 1.55

Rutger: 5.42

3640G Spent

Heal x2

Iron Sword x1

Hand Axe x3

Iron Bow x2

Supports

Allen x Lance C

Ward x Lot C

Your final turn count for this map is absurdly luck-based, Eric being the culprit more than the ultra-sturdy Cavaliers and Nomads. With his Javelin equipped, Rutger does 4 x 2 at 55 hit with 30 critical and Marcus 10 at 50. I kinda wish Rutger had waited a bit for his lucky critical though, since Chad was getting good exp on the Pirates, and it would have given me an excuse to draw the chapter out a bit longer. Oh well, IIRC some really powerful reinforcements show up behind you on turn 11, so that was probably the best time for it to end.

Anyway, this was a much less frustrating map than I remember it being. On previous runs I tried to bait too many foes with Marcus each turn, and ended up not having enough units to finish them off when mine came around. There isn’t much point to doing it that way, when you still need to pull back to avoid being killed by Rutger the turn he appears. Really, who was the stupid designer who thought that was a good idea? If I was playing on a cart, I would need to memorize his spawn point and movement range just to avoid restarting the whole chapter halfway in.

Well, I could try. We're getting ahead of ourselves with these benchmarks, really. I should just say I plan to S rank as fast as possible, because I have no idea what I'll need to do to keep up with exp on the late game maps (That you had the privilege of skipping with Warp and fliers).

Well, you're most certainly completing the earlygame maps at much less than double my turncounts (with the likely exception of chapter 5), and the maps that I flier skipped can probably be completed reasonably at around exactly double my turncounts with the other ranks in mind. You'll probably take more than double my turncounts on the maps that I warpskipped, but even so, a warpskip typically took at least 3 turns, and you'll probably have a solid buffer from the earlygame maps.

With his Javelin equipped, Rutger does 4 x 2 at 55 hit with 30 critical and Marcus 10 at 50.

Your Eric probably got an extra point in def compared to normal. If you start chapter 4 from a chapter save after a soft or hard reset of the game, Eric will always have the same stats.

There isn’t much point to doing it that way, when you still need to pull back to avoid being killed by Rutger the turn he appears.

Alternatively, you can gather units past his spawn position (directly under Eric), but this requires clearing the map rather quickly.

Really, who was the stupid designer who thought that was a good idea? If I was playing on a cart, I would need to memorize his spawn point and movement range just to avoid restarting the whole chapter halfway in.

That or play the game at a computer desk or with a laptop next to you and have the wars of dragons website open to tell you where he spawns.

Chapter 5

11 Turns (43)

1293 Exp (4895/3100)

---

Roy: 5.40

Marcus: 3.06

Allen: 5.15

Lance: 4.25

Wolt: 4.46

Ellen: 5.81

Dieck: 8.87

Ward: 3.85

Lot: 5.36

Thany: 6.84

Chad: 5.87

Lugh: 3.35

Clarine: 2.56

Rutger: 8.23

800G Spent

Heal x1

Door Key x4

Enemies on this map are hardcore, with Fighters having up to 9 AS and Mercs up to 13. Durable as well, needing 3-5 rounds to KO with basic weapons in the unlikely event every hit lands. I made a serious attempt at charging the gate, just to see how viable it was, and by turn 3 it was apparent I needed to try something else. The bottleneck was so long, even the hike through the forest looked more appealing. Starting positions are one again sub-optimal, so on turn 1 Allen and Thany to transported Rutger onto the fort while everyone else clustered together behind him. I am making an effort to cut down on my use of save states, and this chapter is a real test for that. Early hit rates are bad enough on most units in regular circumstances, but then they had to add a huge number of forests. Most axe users have Hand Axes too, so even Marcus should even bother trying to counter them after the avoid boost. Turn 11 was my goal because Brigands start streaming from of the forts on the one after that, and unlike the Pirates last time these guys are really strong.

Chapter 6

12 Turns (55)

1500 Exp (6395/5100)

---

Roy: 5.70

Marcus: 3.33

Allen: 6.37

Lance: 4.68

Rutger: 9.85

Dieck: 10.10

Lot: 8.22

Thany: 8.37

Chad: 5.88

Clarine: 3.58

Saul: 6.27

Dorothy: 4.46

Sue: 2.78

This is was a chapter that reminded me why I find ranks are so much more interesting. Had this run been pure efficiency, I would have just had Marcus charge up the center and finish by turn 4 or something. Units were divided into groups of 4 at the start. Roy, Marcus, Allen and Lance went through the left hallway, Thany, Rutger, Clarine and Chad to the right and Dieck and Lott to take on the center, with Saul and Dorothy supporting them from behind.

Marcus opened the door to the Treasure room on turn 2 so Chad would have a clear path later. After talking to Sue on turn 4, Roy spends two turns being rescued down to the bottom to talk to Cass the turn she appears, which in hindsight was kinda a waste, because she eventfully made her way upward. Marcus unlocked the top left room holding the Unlock staff to clear it out for Chad. Sue stole a few kills, and I may be using her up to promotion so I can level both Peg sisters. Thany is finally starting to hold her own, and in a few chapters will arguably be my best unit.

Getting all the treasure in as few turns as possible was the really fun part of the map. Chad was positioned so he could open the door to the first treasure room on turn 2 and spent the next 2 getting the 2000G and Silver Lance. On turn 5, he needed to be rescue-dropped with Clarine and Rutger so he could start opening the chests in the room above by turn 6. On turn 9, he rescue chained 24 spaces using Thany, Sue and Marcus so could pick up the Unlock staff on 10, and was then rescued 14 spaces downward with Marcus, Allen and Lance for the 8000G in the two bottom right chest by the time Roy seized on 12.

Edited by GreatEclipse

Chapter 7

10 Turns (65)

1770 Exp (8165/6600)

---

Roy: 6.78

Marcus: 3.80

Allen: 7.98

Lance: 5.92

Rutger: 11.57

Dieck: 10.72

Lot: 9.25

Thany: 9.13

Sue: 5.54

Chad: 6.43

Clarine: 4.46

Ellen: 6.69

Saul: 7.06

Zealot: 1.61

Treck: 5.80

Noah: 7.90

Oh boy, here we go.

I figured it would create less frustration in the long run if I recruit Zealot and Treck on turn 2 (Yes, I still maintain that Wendy is better after accounting for this bullshit). On turn 1 Marcus weakens the Amour to the right, who will suicide on Allen come enemy phase. Allen and Lance rescue-drop Roy two tiles below Marcus, just out of range of enemy Javelins. Thany then switches Marcus to an Iron Lance for the Mercenary 5 spaces above him, who he finishes on turn 2 with Silver. Thany picks up Zealot the moment he appears and brings him Roy, so he can recruit Treck that same turn. Zealot equips his Javelin and Allen switches Marcus to a Hand Axe, and with proper positioning they will receive the bulk of the action for turn 2 enemy phase.

On the left side, Rutger kills the Armor on his end and is rescue-dropped onto a forest tile with Sue and Dieck that puts him just in range of a Mercenary and Cavalier (Make sure to switch him back from his Armor Slayer). All of them have a sword + Javelin this map, and the idea is to bait them to the Javelin so Lot can OHKO with his Halberd. Both are dead, Rutger with his Killing Edge and Lot switched to his Killer Axe prepare for the first Wyvern.

Everything else for the next two or so turns is largely up to the RNG: whether Lot and Rutger will critical, whether Marcus and Zealot will hit at 1-2 range or their un-promoted companions at 1, how many attacks you will dodge and who the enemy Priests decide to heal. This is hands down the most poorly-designed map for any GBA Fire Emblem game, at least on HM, but thankfully save states can take away some frustration, at least with the fixed growth patch resetting the RNG every time you load one.

After most of the combat was finished, Clarine unlocked the gate for the main team. Zealot, Treck and Noah visited the main group of villages, Thany did some shopping and Chad opened the chests. The Red Gem on the Wyvern was secured. Saul received the Goddess Icon at the start.

14,650G Spent

Fire x3

Chest Keys x3

Steel Sword x4

Iron Blade x2

Javelin x3

Iron Axe x2

Iron Bow x1

Steel Bow x3

Edited by GreatEclipse

I wouldn't say that chapter 7 is poorly designed; it's more the low hit rates that are a problem.

I'd have to agree there. It's actually probably one of the better designed chapters thus far into the game, just RNG issues cause it to be a nightmare. How the turn 2 recruitment of Zealot and Treck fits perfectly to the square for rescue dropping Roy to recruit Noah the next turn is positively crisp, along with all the how you draw the enemy apart.

This is a chapter though that makes me wish the game gave you an early unit that is actually capable of good chip damage.

The low hit rates would be manageable if you could actually afford to miss, but everyone except Marcus and Zealot (Plus Rutger and Lot with specific, luck-based weapons) need 4 or 5 rounds to kill things, and the problem is made worse by many foes having 1-2 range, severally decreasing your output on enemy phase. The Wyverns are really stupid as well, being almost impossible to wall, having enough ATK to one-shot most frailer units and even surviving 2 Silver Lance hits from Zealot. Then add Priests with Physic at the top who love undoing your progress. And it may be possible to recruit Treck by turn 2, but it hardly speaks in the game's favor that you need such a specific strategy or else he dies. I’m all for difficult games (Demon’s Souls in one of the best I’ve ever played), but poor design is all I can call this. Thankfully the rest of the game is quite good, or I would not be doing this.

Finished chapter 8 (17 Turns, 1903 Exp), I just need to write the summery.

Edited by GreatEclipse

And it may be possible to recruit Treck by turn 2, but it hardly speaks in the game's favor that you need such a specific strategy or else he dies.

If you think that's bad, try S Ranking all the maps of Advance Wars on Hard Campaign. Now THAT's one doozy of a challenge!

Edited by FionordeQuester

Chapter 8

17 Turns (82)

1903 Exp (10068/8100)

---

Roy: 8.46

Marcus: 4.30

Zealot: 2.20

Allen: 10.22

Lance: 7.43

Treck: 6.81

Noah: 8.01

Rutger 12.70

Thany 10.88

Sue 8.97

Clarine 6.04

Saul 8.38

Astol 10.69

Linina 1.62

Oujay 3.46

Barth 9.22

Wendy 1.00

Supports:

Allen x Lance B

Roy x Lance C

Rutger x Clarine C

One of my favorite chapters, only because rescue chains are so much fun to pull off. Lots of treasure as well (Marcus and Zealot with Chest Keys rushing to the final room let me get all of it without holding up the Seize), and excellent for building supports with its high turn count and long periods advancing. It was particularly interesting this time, because I needed Marcus and Zealot to weaken as much as possible for Allen and Lance, who are lagging behind in levels. With a Silver Lance they do around 10 x 2 to the Amours, which is just enough for Allen to finish them with Iron or Lance with Gant. Sue was really helpful, with the most accurate 2 range on the team and the only unit with 2-3 for chipping Javelins and Magic un-countered. She picked off the Mages in the throne room while the team was bottle-necked in the hallway, then pulled back and got a few kills on the reinforcements walled by Barth, with the rank for the newly acquired Killer Bow by the end.

This is probably the last chapter for Marcus. Once Thany promotes, she has the same STR and DEF, but with double his SPD and flight.

Edited by GreatEclipse

The low hit rates would be manageable if you could actually afford to miss, but everyone except Marcus and Zealot (Plus Rutger and Lot with specific, luck-based weapons) need 4 or 5 rounds to kill things,

Then use Marcus and Zealot liberally; is there a problem with that? Zealot ORKOs enemy cavaliers with Silver Lance and Marcus may be able to do the same if he has proc'd spd and str (just str against Javelin cavs), Zealot ORKOs mages with Javelin (accuracy is a problem), Marcus ORKOs armors with Hammer (accuracy a slight issue), and everyone can at least manage a 2RKO on soldiers. Mercenaries are a bit of a problem with their resilience, and WKs are a problem because the best weapon against them usually has sub-60s hit. Again, these are accuracy issues, not problems with map design.

and the problem is made worse by many foes having 1-2 range, severally decreasing your output on enemy phase.

Zealot doubles like 60% of the map with a Javelin, and if you really need the Silver Lance for specific enemies on enemy phase, then you sacrifice countering the 2 range enemies. Decisions, decisions.

The Wyverns are really stupid as well, being almost impossible to wall, having enough ATK to one-shot most frailer units and even surviving 2 Silver Lance hits from Zealot.

I'm pretty sure that's why they exist in this map. I'm also pretty sure that's why there's only 3 of them. You can delay pulling some of them if you're careful about your unit placements, since IIRC they don't move unless they can reach a player unit within 2 enemy phases.

Then add Priests with Physic at the top who love undoing your progress.

So engage the enemies out of their staff range?

And it may be possible to recruit Treck by turn 2, but it hardly speaks in the game's favor that you need such a specific strategy or else he dies.

Incorrect; you can also rescue Treck with Thany and recruit him later, and there are multiple variations of recruiting Zealot + Treck on turn 2.

Then use Marcus and Zealot liberally; is there a problem with that? Zealot ORKOs enemy cavaliers with Silver Lance and Marcus may be able to do the same if he has proc'd spd and str (just str against Javelin cavs), Zealot ORKOs mages with Javelin (accuracy is a problem), Marcus ORKOs armors with Hammer (accuracy a slight issue), and everyone can at least manage a 2RKO on soldiers. Mercenaries are a bit of a problem with their resilience, and WKs are a problem because the best weapon against them usually has sub-60s hit. Again, these are accuracy issues, not problems with map design.

Marcus is not going to have D Axes by chapter 7 on a serious ranked attempt, but the Knights are not much of a problem. The first 2 are easily dead by the start of the second turn, and the one at the bottom is non-aggressive. On fixed mode he never gains and STR or SPD until --/5, so maybe that was a problem (Not that I would bank on 25%).

Low hit rates are a problem with the map design in this case because most of time you are free to move at your own pace, and it is likely your fault if everything comes down to a single attack at 60 hit. Even 4 and 5, for all the problems those maps have, are unlikely to force a restart if you do not overestimate what your units are capable of. Chapter 7 is one of the only instances in the game you are forced to engage a large number of foes clustered into a small area very early in the chapter, similar to the defend maps in HHM.

Zealot doubles like 60% of the map with a Javelin, and if you really need the Silver Lance for specific enemies on enemy phase, then you sacrifice countering the 2 range enemies. Decisions, decisions.

Yes, he doubles, but with 81 hit before enemy avoid in kinda cancels out. And everyone is else is doing much worse.

I'm pretty sure that's why they exist in this map. I'm also pretty sure that's why there's only 3 of them. You can delay pulling some of them if you're careful about your unit placements, since IIRC they don't move unless they can reach a player unit within 2 enemy phases.

The only non-aggressive Wyvern is the one with the Red Gem, the other 2 seem to move on enemy phase 1 every time. I can see what the designers were going for with their inclusion, but the implementation is terrible.

So engage the enemies out of their staff range?

Not always possible or predicable from an immediate tactical perspective (Remember, missing an attack intended to finish something off is not rare) and they can heal what you weaken on enemy phase as well because they move after everyone else.

Incorrect; you can also rescue Treck with Thany and recruit him later, and there are multiple variations of recruiting Zealot + Treck on turn 2.

You know what I mean. There recruitment could have been less of an issue by having them appear just a bit closer to the group, or by giving them AI that would do the smart thing and pull back.

Chapter 8x

12 Turns (94)

1394 Exp (11462/10100)

---

Roy: 9.30

Zealot: 2.74

Treck: 9.36

Noah: 8.83

Rutger: 15.18

Oujay: 5.45

Thany: 11.20/1.00

Linina: 3.76

Clarine: 7.08

Saul: 9.50

Supports:

Treck x Noah C

Lilina received the Angelic Robe.

Rutger, Clarine, and Roy run to the left to be airlifted by Thany to the other side, everyone else goes the long way for some training. Not much else to say. If you early-promote Rutger it can save a few turns, because killing the boss faster and more reliably also means Clarine probably doesn’t need to be airlifted and Thany can pick up Roy a few turns earlier. Clearing significantly faster would have cost me, though; I had finished the last enemy the same turn Roy could Seize.

Chapter 9

19 Turns (113)

3270 Exp (14732/11600)

---

Roy: 10.49

Allen: 11.42

Lance: 8.42

Treck: 10.59

Noah: 9.88

Oujay: 7.03

Rutger: 17.08

Thany: 11/1.92

Sue: 10.63

Chad: 11.41

Linina: 6.33

Clarine: 8.94

Saul: 11.31

Fir: 6.84

Shin: 7.60

4,160G Spent

Iron Sword x1

Heal x2

Mend x2

Torch x1

Supports:

Roy x Linina C

The first chapter where exp rank cost me over 10 turns, but I would rather work on my surplus now than at Sacae or Bern. Even inching my way to completion, Thany was really useful. This map is full of bottlenecks she can circle around, and her combat is excellent. Infinite durability on Axes, takes negligible damage from Magic and doubles Mercenaries with an Iron Lance. She can even pull out the Silver Lance if I even need her to. Still need to be careful about Steels Bows though, they still OHKO her. Fir and Chad received the bulk of the reinforcement kills.

Also, Linina sucks. Yes, you all know that, but it's one thing to look at stats and another to actually use them. Even with the Angelic Robe, Hand Axe fighters and Iron Bow Archers ORKO because they have enough SPD to double.

Edited by GreatEclipse

Marcus is not going to have D Axes by chapter 7 on a serious ranked attempt, but the Knights are not much of a problem. The first 2 are easily dead by the start of the second turn, and the one at the bottom is non-aggressive. On fixed mode he never gains and STR or SPD until --/5, so maybe that was a problem (Not that I would bank on 25%).

Ranked attempt, perhaps not, but he will definitely have D axes by chapter 7 on a low turn playthrough. Marcus should get like an entire axe weapon level in chapter 6 by charging straight up the middle and plowing through soldiers, knights, and mages with a couple of Hand Axes.

Low hit rates are a problem with the map design...

Yes, he doubles, but with 81 hit before enemy avoid in kinda cancels out. And everyone is else is doing much worse.

Hence my point: if the accuracy issues go away, then this map is suddenly just difficult and not annoying.

The only non-aggressive Wyvern is the one with the Red Gem, the other 2 seem to move on enemy phase 1 every time. I can see what the designers were going for with their inclusion, but the implementation is terrible.

Nope, the other 2 wyvern knights have AI exactly as I've stated previously. You trigger the one on the left turn 1 every time because you always send someone up the left side of the map, which will satisfy the trigger. You trigger the one on the right turn 1 every time because you attempt to recruit Zealot and Treck in 2 turns, which requires Marcus attacking the knight on the right hand side and satisfying the trigger.

Most of the other enemies on the map either attack only when a player unit is in range or move only when they can reach a player unit in 2 enemy phases.

Not always possible or predicable from an immediate tactical perspective (Remember, missing an attack intended to finish something off is not rare) and they can heal what you weaken on enemy phase as well because they move after everyone else.

What do you mean? You can highlight them and see their staff ranges. Just engage enemies where you don't see green. Inevitably you are going to have to bring the fight to within their staff ranges, but if you can dispatch, say 40% of the enemies without risk of triggering their AI, then you've already made it much easier to deal with them.

You know what I mean. There recruitment could have been less of an issue by having them appear just a bit closer to the group, or by giving them AI that would do the smart thing and pull back.

Such AI does not exist in the game.

We’re just going to have to disagree about chapter 7, if you could really even call it a disagreement. You think the map is only a problem because of poor hit rates, and I think poor hit rates are only a problem because of the map.

For 10B: I had an excellent plan in motion, one that would allow me to clear on turn 11 with all objectives satisfied...and then on the last turn, Klein decides not to move and Tate stays an enemy after Thany talks to her (This is not a glitch, it explains why in the conversation). Back to the drawing board.

For 10B: I had an excellent plan in motion, one that would allow me to clear on turn 11 with all objectives satisfied...and then on the last turn, Klein decides not to move and Tate stays an enemy after Thany talks to her (This is not a glitch, it explains why in the conversation). Back to the drawing board.

All enemies use an RN when they move; many recruitable enemies that also move have a particular chance of not moving on any given turn, which is really annoying. I've observed Klein, Tate, and Garret to do this off the top of my head. You can probably reload a savestate to correct this.

Tate will only turn into an NPC unit when Thany talks to her if Klein has been recruited already. Also, I don't think you'll recruit Tate if you don't have Klein talk to her to turn her into a player unit.