Kon's Super Wonderful Fantastical Spriting Gallery

Kon

Not really an update, but I need some help with this sprite I'm working on.

TzCNZ.gif

I've only been working on the hair at the moment, and I'm getting a little frustrated with it. This started out as a practice in spriting kind of curly hair, but I seem to have gotten myself into a rut with it. I know the hair is probably all kinds of wonky, but unfortunately I'm not that good at spotting what's wrong in my own works and all of my attempts to fix it so far have just make it look worse. So any advice would be appreciated.

Well post up a pic of what you're going for in terms of curly hair.

My best guess is something like Beatrix from Final Fantasy 9 and an in game pic

In which case your curls could use some more volume, but need some definition as to where the hair lock ends and you'd see the inside of the curl, well... curl

By the by, I'm really loving your work.

Edited by Khrene Cleaver

Thanks Kherne~

I was actually basing this on my current haircut, but I can't seem to find my reference pick, which is about a couple of months old already. *sigh* I think I might have to scrap this and start over again. :/

• 2 weeks later...

While I was working on that sprite for KoT, I played around with some ideas for her outfit before I made that robe that will need to be fixed. I decided to borrow an idea from CR's attempt of the sprite and stuck Lucius' scarf on her, and it just kind of snowballed from there. Just thought I'd post it for people to laugh at it.

KdXFQ.gif

Soooo basically you made a female Lucius? Sweet. Well done, and the posture looks nice and unique too(though it looks like she's turning her neck just a bit too far for it to be comfortable IMO) :D:

Oh one more thing, the left side of the sprite, where the scarf thing touches the shoulder. The edge of the scarf could use a bit more anti-aliasing methinks.

• 4 weeks later...

New sprite wooo~

nx0aI.gif

This is Kon, my username's namesake and one of my wonderfully original characters. See this sprite right here, my first sprite ever? konz.gif That's what she used to look like. She began as a really bland OC from the Legend of Zelda series 5+ years ago, but I got bored with her so I ended up revamping her into what she is now. She changed from a generic heroic tomboy to a free spirited but not very bright mercenary who would rather chop her hair off with her sword than let it get in her eyes (funny thing is I actually asked my sister who happens to be a hair dresser to assist in making her hair look like she cuts it that way XD).

But enough of the backstory no one cares about. Please feel free to tear this sprite a new one, because I've never worked on leather pauldrons and I'm a little worried that her hair looks more chunky than badly cut.

[6:24:38 PM] Astra: collarbones look flat

[6:24:39 PM] Justin Ilijevski: I kinda like it, but it could use a fair bit of fixing

[6:24:42 PM] Astra: yeah

[6:24:52 PM] Justin Ilijevski: The lower pads make no sense

[6:25:03 PM] Justin Ilijevski: The upper ones are angled a bit better

[6:25:26 PM] Trent: Her neck seems a bit long

[6:25:33 PM] Justin Ilijevski: The angle

[6:25:44 PM] Justin Ilijevski: They look more like capped sleeves than pads

[6:26:18 PM] Trent: also fivehead

[6:27:10 PM] Trent: and the hair shading isn't the best but I'm sure Kon'll learn

[6:27:17 PM] Astra: everyone does

[6:27:17 PM] Astra: o3o

[6:28:16 PM] Fat bunny: head feels small?

Have at it Kon

I was afraid of that. Oh well, I'll get right on it. I'm guessing the lower pads need to be angled out more and not look like they're hugging her arms?

Alright. TBH I don't remember spriting them like that but then again I've spent all day staring at this, so that might be the problem. :/

New sprite wooo~

nx0aI.gif

But enough of the backstory no one cares about. Please feel free to tear this sprite a new one, because I've never worked on leather pauldrons and I'm a little worried that her hair looks more chunky than badly cut.

wqj2.png

Ok so her shoulders are also really really wide, Celeste(far left) has really broad shoulders(and although her perspective's slightly shifted, she seems more bulky than Kon), So I'd try to narrow the shoulders a bit. Try lightening the shading on the collarbone also, and maybe define it underneath a little or in the neck chords?

The head's a bit small, so maybe try increasing it a little, the pink haired Marissa splice and the Karla head might be better indications of size, although they sit on the larger size of the head size scale so maybe go somewhere inbetween. Her forehead seems really marge atm, but if you make the rest of the head bigger, it might alleviate this.

The hair shading could also use a little work. Try adding some depth in the hair flicks and have it tiered a little, kinda like this: http://puu.sh/wqr4

The yellow and green coloured pads are an indication of the 2 directions you could probably take with it, either follow the line of the top pad, or clip it off like on Wills shoulder(below) and Eliza's(further below). I won't overwhelm you just yet with some hints on leather shading and theyre more minor, but I might go through that once the proportions are a little better.

• 2 weeks later...