Fire Emblem: Fellowship of Demons

Ryrumeli

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to know so many people are interested. ^_^

@Lumi: It just helps to show how much you know your pixels, don't you agree? :)

@BwdYeti: And who says that work is going to waste? :) Having a good personality description is never a bad thing, I will look for some way to reward your extra effort. :)

@Grip: Well, factoring in the official list of people that got in the hack with the list of people

@Agro: Darn, that is one sweet idea. Too bad someone picked Bard already. :( Gonna repass said idea on, though. ...well, dancer is still available, and it would be funny to have a male humming dancer at least. XD

@Clipsey: The link works just fine, thanks a lot for the contribution. ^_^ If you feel the need in a personal level to send any new samples in the future, use the same form ok? Just fill in your username, clips, and answer the rest randomly, I will know it is you. XD

Also, updated list:

Assassin

Berserker

Bishop

Druid

Falcoknight

General

Great Knight

Hero

Mage Knight

Paladin

Ranger

Rogue

Sage

Sniper

Summoner

Swordmaster

Valkyrie

Warrior

Wyvern Knight

Wyvern Lord

Gonna have to repost this in other forums as well. Thanks a lot for all contributions so far, and also for those that are still working/planning to. You guys make this possible. ^_^

Also, this is the list factoring in all the class claims here, considering the class pick for Grip was berserker(Just for illustration, again I don't support this one list):

[spoiler=List I don't absolutely in no way support]

Assassin

Berserker

Bishop

Druid

Falcoknight

General

Great Knight

Hero

Mage Knight

Paladin

Ranger

Rogue

Sage

Sniper

Summoner

Swordmaster

Valkyrie

Warrior

Wyvern Knight

Wyvern Lord

It actually surprises me no one got Swordmaster yet. Not a bad surprise, though. :)

Edited by Ryrumeli

If you ever need a voice actor then maybe I could help out. Though I'm primarily free on the weekends and I don't know your process of receiving the VA. I recommend using me as a last resort or if your really interested in a voice like mine. I'll send you a voice sample later tonight or tomorrow. gee_wiz_emoticon.gif

Please do, Saggin, I would be glad if you could. ^_^ There is a form in the 5th item in the first post to fill which could be easy on you. (Also it allows you to keep some "anonymousness" in the sample sending if that is your wish)

As for the process, I work with a spiral-methodology-based model for agile software engineering. Basically I work with small goals in time, and start to work along the way, testing always in a fixed amount of time to avoid bugs and conflicts. In a while, when I go trough 3 other tasks in my task record(Should take 2 weeks according to my calculations, if my real life stops flooding me with work for a while at least. XD) the next task after that is nicknamed "Auditions"; SImultaneously with the Map making and event script flowcharting, there will be both the script revision, and auditions. I will pretty much gather a small team and judge based on it, out of the samples we have, who fits which character, and after each character has like 2-3 names linked to it, we go to the said names and then we try talking with actual script text(And since they will be using the prototype for the script, the VAs will have a say in how the script will flow, no one is going to speak what they don't believe in. :)).

Having only weekends available shouldn't pose as a barrier to the process, considering the whole process won't be done in a fixed amount of time, just from that point in my expectations onwards. So there will be more than enough time believe me. :)

Well I have made my submission. Now if you want recording sessions over skype then you might get a worst Webcam voice quality rather than the iTouch mic. It also helps if you label what mood I should be in and if I hear a sample of the person I might end up talking to in the scene.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention you'll get my voice in .m4a format

Edited by SagginPhobia

The recordings will be mixed like that; Those that are available to talk through skype and match their conversations should do so, to give a more "conversational" feeling to the whole thing, and those who aren't will be at least get feedback on the thing. I just want all the people involved in the conversation to hear the conversation finished before deciding if they don't want to try to run a line again.

Oh, and if your mic is better for your ITouch then you might use it, but again there isn't a need for an absolute amount of quality here(Samples need to get decreased in quality when they get in after all.)

Also, I will have to check on that, but if the program I have in mind has a specific kind of optimization I believe it does, then the original recording format will be meaningless. ^_^

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qu7wbv

C- shhhhh I can do better

SELECTION

Rex Gambol, reporting.

Stay close and stay silent.

Listen... they are near.

I am an officer of the inquisition.

Fear walks before me.

MOVEMENT

A good position.

Aye, I am with you.

I am the silence, I am the shadow...

Alright, I'm going.

As you say, ser.

ATTACK

They shall know my face in death!

Raise the dead!

Bring them down, so I may question them.

ACTION/SOCIAL

You will, I do.

They will never see me coming.

COMBAT/ENGAGED

I will burn their bones!

I shall shatter their world!

Regard me and weep!

RETREATING/BROKEN

I would not perish here!

May the shadows protect!

I am overmatched!

VICTORY/HEAL

Lead me to my next victim!

My duty is done, but ever do I hunger!

Fall to your knees and I may show mercy!

OTHER

I did not earn my place by sucking dicks! Let me guide your hand.

I have done this a thousand times, and will do it a thousand more.

Yeti! Ever out of formation!

Edited by miniBladez

I am an officer of the inquisition.

*'aye am an offisar of the enquazeshun'

also

This reminds me so much of the 'so almost terrible it's entertaining' voice acting in a lot of WRPGs, so I am very okay with this.

Edited by BwdYeti

This reminds me so much of the 'so almost terrible it's entertaining' voice acting in a lot of WRPGs, so I am very okay with this.

My exact thoughts. XD Your voice actually matches your looks very well IMHO, I like the vibes I am getting here. The lines are pretty amusing, makes me wish I had over 16 mbs to work with for this project honestly. :)

Oh, and I didn't say this before, but I like what you did for the name. "Rex" for king, and "Gambol" does give an aura of a trickster. Really nice vibes going on here. :)

(Also send me the blinking and talking tiles, and I can work on inserting your character in the game and giving out a video of that. :))

Also, guys, if anyone wonders what is happening here, in a TF2-style, "Meet the rogue". :3

Edited by Ryrumeli

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if double posting isn't allowed in the rules here under these conditions, but I have to make this pronunciation.

Sorry for the lack of updates regarding the hack lately; From the weekend I went camping on I had a tough period of terms in college, and decided to obviously prioritize my college grades over my hacking project(Due to the fact that out of the two I am paying for only the first, and not cheap. >_>) , so yeah. Things should be normalized at least for a while, so expect a few more updates in a small while.

Also, as for updates I am sorry but the only one I can share is the beta of the latest one for now.

Some graphical kinks here and there, but the graphical core works pretty nicely already.

Thanks for the nice feedback. ^_^ So far I have listed 39 different skill icons which a character can have, and up to 7 appear in the same screen. One of the hardest parts will be making this system match with the skill scrolls I have planned, honestly, but for now I am just enjoying a minor victory(And around 2k of raw ASM done with X_X)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I believe I forgot to post this here, my bad:

Here is a more advanced version of the skill screen:

I just gotta fix the last kinks and the stat sheet model for my hack will be 100% done, I will get to it as soon as I have more free time. But as of now I am happy on how the 4th stat sheet screen turned out.

Also, I will be running a small unofficial pool. Do you guys like the fact half bodies were colored based on the side color, or would you rather they were used in the back without any sort of effect on top of them, as they came to the world so to say?

Glad you two like it, the first feedback I got from the color change was negative, hence why I am hesitating about it. XD

And thanks for the compliment, but to be fair the hardest part was the palette swap, since it required me robbing a routine from the game, adapting it, and then changing how it works. The body making was relatively quick, since I did the menus already with support for the body making.(It was my original plan all along, the coloring wasn't though.)

Anyways, I am brewing some more ideas, so hope the next hacks can be as exciting to you guys as these were. :)

The two mugs next to another makes for an awful lot of wasted space (and repetitious space). I'd almost suggest just to do without the original mug, and have the half-body be enough... but then you're stuck with the tint coloring the original character no matter what. You only get to see the one with the overlay.

The same face being shown on every page in two different parts is just a tad drôle.

Lookin' good, Ryru, but I do have to agree with Celice that it looks rather excessive and pointless. Maybe have the halfbody show up on another screen? I don't know, just feels unnecessary to have both the halfbody and the mug in view though I don't see how it's funny, Celice ' x' more awkward than funny.

Celice, Trent, it was also a worry of mine from the start. Even before I started to code this I came up with a list of pros and cons of using halfbodies in the back of the screen. It went something like this:

Pros:

- Gives more use for halfbodies: Half bodies as they are are underused, just being used in conversations would be a shame, and it would be seriously quite a waste to request so many works of such talented spriters and not give them a use in a sense the player can trigger any time they want. Mugshots are used in stat screens so why not half bodies? Were I to change the mug on the left side of the screen to a body I would increase the amount of information on that side even further than I will(Since I will be adding 2 icons in the future in that side already), so it would be cluttered. Were I to add a 5th screen, not only the 4th screen would now have too little info(I honestly would lack something to add in the section reserved for the half body.

- Gives more information to the otherwise weak skill screen: Like in the last video I posted I think you guys could see that, without half bodies the 4th screen ends up having less information than any other screen. While it does have skills, and even a system I came up with to add an extra skill to every unit in the map, honestly without the half body and that custom skill it wouldn't even be worthy a whole screen. The lack of information is still visible on most units on the map; For units without half bodies the system still compiles the screen without the half body, so it will not be as heavy to the eye as it seems now in the actual game I hope.

-Classy looks: It is hard to not be impressed by the way it turned out, and I say this because even I, the maker, didn't expect it to look this good. It is among the 4 screens the one which is more visible if you just keep on passing them one-by-one. Specially in the red and green versions of the stat sheet. And the fact it was tinted not only works to make it different from the mug but also to hopefully turn it into a background element. The skills are the important element of that screen, and as the list of skills grows it gets more and more evident that effect, since when it grows it just goes shamelessly on top of the half body.

Cons:

- The fact mugs and half bodies are in the same screen together is visually boring: Hence why I came up with the tinting, to make sure they would seem like different things; Heck, if you pay attention even the mouth for the half body and the mug on screen are different. The half body is but a background element, as I said before characters without bodies like generic enemy characters just don't show it, and don't lose much information with it. It is just yet another thing which characters with faces have over characters which don't have them. This also helps to give bosses with bodies more visibility among generic enemies.

- Too much visual information in the same screen: Having a beautifully done half body on a screen as a background element AND skill names AND skill icons AND background AND names would be very heavy on the eye. The Tinking also comes in play for this, making the half body seem like a colorful blob at first glance, and making the most visible element the text. It is specially true if you play it with an emulator with support to the actual GBA's colors(No$GBA mainly), there the visibility of menus and text is even greater, specially in colors red and green.

- Where else?: If I weren't to put half bodies as a background element on the 4th screen, where else would I do it? There aren't many places one can use such a resource which don't involve text, and even though I am already with a plan to increase the talking role of every unit to use well that resource, still I need to find more ways to make said resource be well used. I could just make a 5th screen, but honestly instead of creating 2 screens with low information levels, I decided to condense them on a more general and useful one. (Plus, I need to invest what to add in the fifth screen. Growths? Bio? Age? Bust Size? XD)

So as you can see I did a lot of thinking and conjecturing before I even started out the code, I expanded on the qualities and thought of ways to work on the flaws(The tinting being my main answer to them). Don't know about others, but I believe one doesn't make over 2k of raw compiled ASM(The TXT file I used to assemble this has over 350k of raw text) if he hasn't pondered a lot about the system before accomplishing it.. ;)

I understand completely what you're guys are saying, and it was my main worry from the start of this, but believe me when I suggest you guys to wait for the finished result before deciding on a position, it flows way smoother when you play with the system than when you just see it in those videos I assure you. Coming from a guy who, honestly and saying this without ego, is impressed at how it turned out in the end. :)

The same face being shown on every page in two different parts is just a tad drôle.

Oh no, that only appears in this screen. The other 3 screens are exactly like their GBA counterparts. It also moves with the data in the skill screen, and only exists with it. Sorry for any mix up. ^_^'

[spoiler=The 4 screens]Screen1-1.png

Screen2-1.png

Screen3.png

Screen4.png

Also, hopefully I will finish the skills to show in this hack anytime soon, stay tunned for news. :)

Edited by Ryrumeli

(The TXT file I used to assemble this has over 350k of raw text)

Jeeeeeeeez.

For comparison, all the Python source files used for nm3 make about 82k (just counted it now. Of course, there's a whole bunch more in documentation, sample modules/plugins, etc.)

One thing you could do to justify the half-bodies-on-skill-screen thing is, when you implement that 'tactical advice' feature, have the text on the same screen, in a speech bubble connected to the half-body.

Edited by zahlman

@Zahl: That is a very good idea Zahl. To be honest I plan to use the generic conversation system for FE for the advisor system. The new menu which will have access to it will connect to a generic talk event, by using what FE8 events have FE7 and 6's ones lack. ;)

@Seph: Yep, it would be so much better in life if instead of risking to be slapped you could just r click any girl and check her bust data. :3