I'm a little lost in thought.

I just recently got FE9 back two weeks ago, and I'm just wondering something.

I'm thinking of doing transfer runs for a while. With that said, I am unsure as to how many units I should focus on during such runs as I have honestly never attempted to do such a run.

Any clues or suggestions to give me for doing transfer runs?

First of all, some copies of FE10 are bugged and can't get data transfers from a PoR Easy mode completion. I don't think it's possible to find that out for yourself except by doing a "test run" on PoR easy mode and trying to transfer that completed game to RD. If it works, great. If not, you'll have to do Normal or Hard mode, and erase or overwrite all PoR Easy mode files.

I know that you can easily get about 10 characters to level 20/20 in PoR on easy mode, so I'd say pick your 10 favorite PoR characters and focus on them...

...with a few caveats. Some characters, such as Astrid and Tormod, are considerably better in PoR than in RD.

I'm not sure what other advice would be useful to you. If your copy of RD is buggy, I don't know how many characters you can raise to level 20/20 on PoR Normal, but I'd guess about 7.

Edited by Paper Jam

I'm not sure what other advice would be useful to you. If your copy of RD is buggy, I don't know how many characters you can raise to level 20/20 on PoR Normal, but I'd guess about 7.

I've succeeded with about 12, but it's pretty tight. You need to know how to milk BEXP, get as much BEXP as possible, and use all the turns you have to kill extra enemies. At least for what I do. Getting ~10 in NM isn't very hard if you try.

First of all, some copies of FE10 are bugged and can't get data transfers from a PoR Easy mode completion. I don't think it's possible to find that out for yourself except by doing a "test run" on PoR easy mode and trying to transfer that completed game to RD. If it works, great. If not, you'll have to do Normal or Hard mode, and erase or overwrite all PoR Easy mode files.

He can just make an easy file, go into RD, start a new file and select transfers. If it freezes, the game is bugged, if not :awesome:

Also, this is assuming you have 1 completed save file of PoR.

Mine is buggy and will always be. Alas....earwax.

I can get about 6 or 7 characters to 20/20 in Normal Mode anyway so its not a big deal. What i do is choose from the get-go who i want to have the transfers (usually a smallish core team) and just focus on raising them and their weapon levels. (Because of his assy availability in RD, i dont bother with Tormod and transfers. Like ever. Astrid is hard to raise in RD too. But with a Blossom/Paragon plus transfers combo, she can cap all the things at like..level 15 third tier)

Like the others said, if you know how to finagle, you can get more units at 20/20 in Normal mode. I find characters like Ilyana, Soren, and Jill (especially Jill) really benefit from transfers.

I can get about 6 or 7 characters to 20/20 in Normal Mode anyway so its not a big deal. What i do is choose from the get-go who i want to have the transfers (usually a smallish core team) and just focus on raising them and their weapon levels.

Basically what I do now since seeing the number suggestions.
(Because of his assy availability in RD, i dont bother with Tormod and transfers. Like ever. Astrid is hard to raise in RD too. But with a Blossom/Paragon plus transfers combo, she can cap all the things at like..level 15 third tier)
Well, I barely touched either of them outside of forced chapters during the times I played FE10, so it wouldn't matter. (To me anyways.)

Have you considered using a wii save? If you have an SD card you could download a transfer file and save the trouble of an entire playthrough dedicated to making some FE10 units slightly better.

Here's one I made myself a while back (link). Has 14 transfers :)

Edited by Vykan12

• 2 weeks later...

It might not be the 'best' way of doing it, but remember that combat units are quiet a bit more difficult to raise than those who have staff exp to draw off of. Soren, Illyana, Rhys, Mist, Tormod and Elincia are very easy to raise to 20/20. Also the laguz (due to sky high caps) are next to impossible to cap anything. Lastly the majority of the prepromotes are incapable of capping any stats so that tends to reduce the total number of characters that you actually capable of raising for any good results. Next try to always use iron weapons as much as possible to make even overleveled characters (like 10 levels higher) no longer 1RKOing things to increase the total amounts of EXP. Lastly save your stat boosters for endgame to help with capping.

I would say that... 14 + staff users should be easy enough for a transfer playthrough. Especially when you remove ALL the laguz, all but maybe 2 or 3 pre-promotes capable of capping anything that only leaves what... 18 total units that might be useful for capping purposes. Removing people Volke (usable for 1 chapter and endgame), Astrid and Makalov (less useful than usual in FE10) and maybe someone you just don't like it shouldn't be that hard to pull off.

I would say on normal, 10 combat units + Sothe (If you want) + any number of staff users should be no problem. On easy (If you can transfer on easy, I can't), go nuts. I'd think with a decent amount of abuse you could get just about every viable/useful unit to transfer on easy.

If you're going normal mode, you'll probably get two or three. What really counts, in my opinion, are the weapon ranks. Being able to use better weapons and not have to worry about spamming certain weapons just to gain WEXP certainly put my mind at ease when file transferring.

As for getting people to level 20, I'd focus on Sothe (cause he needs it), Ike (you kinda have to if you want to beat the BK. Plus, he'll need the speed in RD), and another one or two units (I picked Soren and Oscar. Might have done Boyd or Rhys also, but I don't remember). Now that I think about it, if you heal abuse, you could get Elincia, Mist, and Rhys as well as any Sage to level 20 too. So that would bring the list of level 20 units to 10-12 (because Calil and Bastian can't heal. Stupid sages aren't supposed to use knives). Just remember that you can only max out one weapon rank in PoR if you have multiple weapons.

It certainly won't be easy, considering the fact that you can't just keep farming exp from an enemy bishop/priest since they aren't able to heal themselves in this game, but it can be done if you plan ahead.

To be honest, I'd actually object to using Sothe at all if I were recommending someone else who wanted to do transfer playthroughs but didn't know what to do. Sure in random mode he has decent 20/-- averages, but the only difference those averages and his RD bases is a +2 in Str and a +5 in lck. In fixed mode, And I'd really want to avoid him since -3 HP, -2 Str, -1 Mag (which I'm only mentioning for the hell of it) +1 Lck, -3 Def, and -3 Res, I don't feel, is even worth the transfer in the first place. Adding to that, I'm pretty sure someone else could put the EXP he'd gain if I am using him at all (outside of doors and chests that is) to better use than he can.

If you're going normal mode, you'll probably get two or three. What really counts, in my opinion, are the weapon ranks. Being able to use better weapons and not have to worry about spamming certain weapons just to gain WEXP certainly put my mind at ease when file transferring.
Nope, I got 10 without much abuse at all. Furthermore, weapon levels in Radiant Dawn are easy. They're too much of a hassle in Path of Radiance to really care about.

To be honest, I'd actually object to using Sothe at all if I were recommending someone else who wanted to do transfer playthroughs but didn't know what to do. Sure in random mode he has decent 20/-- averages, but the only difference those averages and his RD bases is a +2 in Str and a +5 in lck. In fixed mode, And I'd really want to avoid him since -3 HP, -2 Str, -1 Mag (which I'm only mentioning for the hell of it) +1 Lck, -3 Def, and -3 Res, I don't feel, is even worth the transfer in the first place. Adding to that, I'm pretty sure someone else could put the EXP he'd gain if I am using him at all (outside of doors and chests that is) to better use than he can.

Sothe's RD stats are max(PoR stats, Radiant Dawn stats). So if Sothe has 10 Def when he's at Level 20 in your PoR file, he will have 14 Def in Radiant Dawn.

But I managed to max his HP/Str/Skl/Spd/Def with a ton of Lck (24) and Res (I think 13?).

Sothe's RD stats are max (PoR stats, Radiant Dawn stats). So if Sothe has 10 Def when he's at Level 20 in your PoR file, he will have 14 Def in Radiant Dawn.

Not according to the site.

If Sothe reached Level 20 in FE9, his FE9 stats will be transferred directly to FE10 (excludes Build or Movement).

If an FE9 stat is lower than a default FE10 stat, the FE9 stat will take precedence.

Since the Resistance cap is lower in FE10, if his Resistance was 16 to 20 in FE9 it will become 15 in FE10.

Edited by Little Al

It's not that maddening. Sothe needs only like 1700ish BEXP to get to Level 20, and he has up to 4 levels of leeway with his Str growth. He only needs a random Dracoshield to fix his Def, and frankly you need to reset abuse with a bunch of units to make them powerful.

The +6 Defense is really good for him though. It means a bunch of enemies from 1-2 onwards tink him for a while. +5 HP is nice too, even if the +2 Str is a little superfluous.

Edited by Mercenary Raven

Sothe is a pain to get a perfect transfer for, but it's certainly possible and rewarding. +2 strength isn't amazing, but a free energy drop never hurt anyone, and it helps balance out lolknives. +4 HP (+5 with a robe), +6 Def and +6 Res, however, is just an insane durability boost. He absolutely laughs at all of part 1, even on hard mode, and is extremely durable in 3-6. Finally, luck may be the least useful stat, but a possible +13 base luck is still very nice. There isn't anywhere else to really use your ashera icons, and remember, he only needs 19 unpromoted levels total, so the overall exp invested is low even with blossom. I would say he profits from a transfer more then anyone except Ike, and perhaps Nephenee and Jill.