SSBB Pool Tournament

Raven

Information

- There are four pools.

- There are to be at least 12/16/20/etc. competitors for this to work effectively.

- These people are distributed randomly and evenly between the four pools.

Allowed stages:

Battlefield

Final Destination

Delfino Plaza

Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Halberd

Lylat Cruise

Pokemon Stadium 2

Castle Siege

Smashville

Pokemon Stadium

Rules for all matches of the tournament:

First to 3 wins

Stock lives: 4

Time: 8 minutes each

Items: Off

Point system (POOL STAGES ONLY):

By the end of each played round:

Win: 4 points

Draw (regardless of damage %): 2 points each

Lose: 0 points

Win with 2 or more stock more than your opponent: 1 point

Lose with 1 stock less than the opponent: 1 point

3 round wins, 0 round losses: 10 points

This means a person could potentially earn up to 25 points between each person they play in the pool rounds (3 rounds x 5 points + 10 points for winning 3 rounds in a row).

Pool A

P1 v P2

P2 v P3

P3 v P1

Pool B

P4 v P5

P5 v P6

P6 v P4

Pool C

P7 v P8

P8 v P9

P9 v P7

Pool D

P10 v P11

P11 v P12

P12 v P10

If 16 players join, then there will be 4 people in each pool. 20 players = 5 players per pool, etc.

After ALL Pool matches are played, the WINNER (most points) and the RUNNER UP (second-most points) of each Pool will go through to the Quarter-Finals.

Quarter-Finals:

QF 1 - Winner pool C v Runner up pool D

QF 2 - Winner pool B v Runner up pool A

QF 3 - Winner pool D v Runner up pool C

QF 4 - Winner pool A v Runner up pool B

Semi-Finals:

SF 1 - Winner QF1 v Winner QF2

SF 2 - Winner QF3 v Winner QF4

Bronze Final:

Loser SF1 v Loser SF2

Final:

Winner SF1 v Winner SF2

Post your Brawl name and Friend Code to register.

Signups:

1. Raven [Raven - FC: ]

2. Kristyakitty [ - FC: ]

3. Kaoz [Chaos - FC: 1376-6029-9197]

4. Strawhat Luffy [Luffy - FC: 0473-7705-4433]

5. Mysterio [Myst - FC: 4382-1765-4456]

6. Coconut&Lime [Xeylode - FC: 0432-0972-0761]

7. whase [whase - FC: 3610-6137-5296 ]

8. Soul [ - FC: 1892-9071-1950]

Any queries regarding this tournament then just ask.

Edited by V-Raven

When will this exactly take place?

Just wondering, since I may end up joining, but I need to double check since my college schedule keeps me at bay for most of teh day, save for mornings and nights (from 2 pm through 8 pm I'm in college).

When will this exactly take place?

Just wondering, since I may end up joining, but I need to double check since my college schedule keeps me at bay for most of teh day, save for mornings and nights (from 2 pm through 8 pm I'm in college).

I'm not going to put a time limit on anything yet. I'm more interested in seeing if we will reach at least 12 players, then we can work out deadlines etc.

I'm in University so my own free time is not that great, but I'll make time when it is needed.

chaos

1376-6029-9197

Question regarding this bit though:

Lose by 1 KO: 1 point

Are you refering to the actual KOs here or the complete score? Also, are SDs set to -1 or -2 (or was this option only in Melee)?

Also, any special reason for having one long match instead of several short ones?

chaos

1376-6029-9197

Question regarding this bit though:

Are you refering to the actual KOs here or the complete score? Also, are SDs set to -1 or -2 (or was this option only in Melee)?

Also, any special reason for having one long match instead of several short ones?

I'm referring to the complete score there.

SDs only count in Brawl if you fall off the stage without being hit at all in that stock life.

As for the matches, there is no particular reason for one long match as opposed to several shorter ones, it just helps to keep things consistent, I believe.

If I was going to change this part of the rule, I'd keep it the same for the pool matches for the sake of the point system there, and just change the rules for the QF matches onwards to, say, 3 x 5 minute rounds. I suppose this would be fine if someone feels they need to switch their fighter.

I'm referring to the complete score there.

SDs only count in Brawl if you fall off the stage without being hit at all in that stock life.

I know. In Melee, there's an option that allows you to set how SDs count towards the final score (0, -1 or -2) in a time match. I just checked and it isn't in Brawl though, so it doesn't really matter.

As for the matches, there is no particular reason for one long match as opposed to several shorter ones, it just helps to keep things consistent, I believe.

If I was going to change this part of the rule, I'd keep it the same for the pool matches for the sake of the point system there, and just change the rules for the QF matches onwards to, say, 3 x 5 minute rounds. I suppose this would be fine if someone feels they need to switch their fighter.

Switching characters (or stages) is one thing, the other part is that in long matches, the stock count isn't reset at some point, so if you make just one mistake or get unlucky, you could lose the whole match right there. With multiple games per set, you can still win games 2 and 3 if you mess up in game 1. So in some cases, long matches produce less consistent results overall.

Switching characters (or stages) is one thing, the other part is that in long matches, the stock count isn't reset at some point, so if you make just one mistake or get unlucky, you could lose the whole match right there. With multiple games per set, you can still win games 2 and 3 if you mess up in game 1. So in some cases, long matches produce less consistent results overall.

Actually when I think about it, I'm not for the idea of several small matches. There are some scenarios where the wrong player may go through to the next round:

P1 and P2 fight.

1st match, P1 wins by a single KO.

2nd match, P2 wins by 2 KOs.

Final match comes to Sudden Death, P1 gets lucky and wins.

P1 would go through despite having been KOd more than P2.

And other variants of that scenario.

The above may not happen, but having one long match forces people to play off their strengths from the off. If you make a mistake, then you should pay for it or make up for it. You don't see sports teams playing best two out of three to qualify for the next round. It's harsh indeed, but that just makes it more interesting.

I am considering stock matches from the QFs on though. This will prevent people from trying to evade fighting to run down the clock and keep their lead.

Looking back

I don't get the point system at all

and I probably should have read the post so that I realized it wasn't a stock match

which sucks

but anyway

so

how does this work

in precise, easy-to-understand terms

edit: please and thank you

Edited by Strawhat Luffy

1. The people that sign up are divided into four sub sections, called pools. So if 12 people sign up, 4 sections of 3 are made, 16 sign ups make 4 sections of 4, etc.

2. Everyone in a pool plays one 12 minute match against everyone in their pool. Their score is calculated by the rules above: if you win, you get 4 points, if you draw, you get 2, if you have more than 4 KO's you get an additional point (even if you draw/lose), if you lose you get no points unless you lose by one, in which case you get 1 point.

3. Once all pools matches are played, the scores are totaled and the two highest scorers from each pools match move on to elimination rounds.

4. Pools A and B face each other and Pools C and D face each other, with the highest scorer hitting the second highest scorer in each situation, in a match of 15 minutes. If they draw, sudden death is played out. Losers are eliminated, with the exception of semifinal matches.

5. Matches continue in this fashion until Finals, with a third place round played in the same manner by the two losing participants of the semifinals.

I think that should about cover it, if you need any more clarification, ask away!

(TC: If I missed something or described it incorrectly, please let me know.)

This looks like it will be interesting trying to do a single 12 minute match on one stage. I'll go and throw my name in on this tournament for the time being. I need to figure out if I can get my network to accept my wii again. If not, I'll just back out before it starts.

Xeylode FC: 0432 0972 0761

Although, I am a bit perplexed why Shadow Moses is allowed. You mentioned earlier Raven you might do stocks to prevent a run away game by time out in the finals, so that seems to me you value matches being played in a good sportsman like fashion. But, Shadow Moses + King Dedede would cause problems due to infinite chain grabs on that stage. The walls regenerate roughly every minute I believe after being destroyed and about 2/3 of the cast are affected by the wall infinite. Even with the walls destroyed, DDD can get a walk/dash chain grab through the walk off sides.

Well, not like it matters a whole lot. Both players will decide on a stage they agree to play on it since we have a huge list to choose from for a single match.

Edited by Coconut&Lime

....The rules are interesting, but I don't think I have the time to spare. Dropping this one off.

(And honestly I disagree with a lot of points there, but it is interesting mainly because of that.)

This looks like it will be interesting trying to do a single 12 minute match on one stage. I'll go and throw my name in on this tournament for the time being. I need to figure out if I can get my network to accept my wii again. If not, I'll just back out before it starts.

Xeylode FC: 0432 0972 0761

Although, I am a bit perplexed why Shadow Moses is allowed. You mentioned earlier Raven you might do stocks to prevent a run away game by time out in the finals, so that seems to me you value matches being played in a good sportsman like fashion. But, Shadow Moses + King Dedede would cause problems due to infinite chain grabs on that stage. The walls regenerate roughly every minute I believe after being destroyed and about 2/3 of the cast are affected by the wall infinite. Even with the walls destroyed, DDD can get a walk/dash chain grab through the walk off sides.

Well, not like it matters a whole lot. Both players will decide on a stage they agree to play on it since we have a huge list to choose from for a single match.

You raise a valid point. I'll remove Shadow Moses.

....The rules are interesting, but I don't think I have the time to spare. Dropping this one off.

(And honestly I disagree with a lot of points there, but it is interesting mainly because of that.)

What points, what what would you change about them?

Yea... I have to back out. Can't get my wireless working with the wii. Some firewall or something as usual.

That is a shame. If you manage to knock down the firewall, feel free to rejoin.

• 1 month later...

Yes, we just need more people to sign up. I may tweak the rules.

Edit: New rules are:

Rules for all matches of the tournament:

First to 3 wins

Stock lives: 4

Time: 8 minutes each match

Items: Off

Edited by V-Raven