SSBB Pool Tournament

Raven

I could sign up, but my window of opportunity to actually participate is quite small. The earliest I could play is Dec. 16th (Wii is at home, I'm still at school), and starting on the 19th, I can only play in the evenings. >o<

I added a new thing to the point system for the pool stages:

3 wins, 0 losses: 10 points

So if you get your 3 wins without losing a round, you get 10 points.

This is to give people less incentive to lose 2 of the 5 rounds on purpose just to give their opponent 4-10 points which could be the difference between their opponent making it to the QFs or not.

When playing, play with integrity.

^That won't work with 12 participants. (each player only has 2 matches)

I guess I might join just because it's 4 stocks and 8 minutes. MK da bess, Mario is mad. (deal with it) Just winning both players with a stock lead will guarantee a place in the bracket. 2451-5603-6179

What happens on a time-out? Also, "Win with 2 or more stock remaining: 1 point" Is this like, if you don't with with a single stock in the end, you get less points or is it an extra point (therefore winning with 2 or more stocks being worth 5 points)? What in the case of it being a time-out and you have 4 stocks and the other has 3? Five points for you, zero for them?

Edited by KALLLucas

^That won't work with 12 participants. (each player only has 2 matches)

I guess I might join just because it's 4 stocks and 8 minutes. MK da bess, Mario is mad. (deal with it) Just winning both players with a stock lead will guarantee a place in the bracket. 2451-5603-6179

What happens on a time-out? Also, "Win with 2 or more stock remaining: 1 point" Is this like, if you don't with with a single stock in the end, you get less points or is it an extra point (therefore winning with 2 or more stocks being worth 5 points)? What in the case of it being a time-out and you have 4 stocks and the other has 3? Five points for you, zero for them?

Aha, you've misinterpreted what I meant by "3 wins". Not 3 wins in total against 3 different people, but 3 wins against the same person during the 3-5 rounds that will be played between each person.

On a time-out, the person with the most stock remaining wins.

After writing examples, I realise that "Win with 2 or more stock remaining" is ineffective. This will be changed to "Win with 2 or more stock than your opponent", so even if you win 3 stocks to 2, you won't earn it. And "Lose to the opponent's last stock life" will be changed to "Lose with 1 stock less than the opponent"

So with that, let's give a few examples:

Example 1:

P1 and P2 play their pool match.

P1 wins the first round by 2 stock to 0. He earns himself points for "Win" (4 pts) and "Win with 2 or more stock than your opponent" (1 pt), so 5 points total.

P1 wins the second round, this time by only 1 stock to 0. He earns himself points for "Win" only, his new total being 9 points. P2 has earned "Lose with 1 stock less than the opponent" (1 pt), earning himself 1 point.

P1 wins the third round, by 3 stock to 1. He earns himself points for "Win", "Win with 2 or more stock than your opponent", and "3 round wins, 0 round losses" (10 pts), his new total being 24 points. P2 has earned only 1 point throughout these rounds.

Example 2:

P2 and P3 play their pool match.

They draw the match, with 1 stock remaining each. They each earn "Draw" (2 pts), so that is 2 points each.

P2 wins the second match with 2 stock to 1. P2 earns "Win", taking his total up to 6, P3 earns "Lose with 1 stock less than the opponent", his total is now 3.

P3 wins the third match with 1 stock to 0. P3 earns "Win", his total is now 7. P2 earns "Lose with 1 stock less than the opponent", his total is now 7 also.

P3 wins the fourth round, 2 stocks to 0. He earns "Win" and "Win with 2 or more stock than your opponent", his new total being 12 points.

P2 wins the final round, 1 stock to 0. He earns "Win", total points are now 11. P3 earns "Lose with 1 stock less than the opponent", his total is now 13. Nobody has earned the "3 round wins, 0 round losses" points because each person lost/drew at least once. Assuming P2 won all the matches after the initial draw round, he still wouldn't have earned the "3 round wins, 0 round losses" because the draw match does count. It needs to be 3 straight wins or nothing to earn it.

Match-wise, example 2 turns out to be a draw (1 draw, 2 wins each), but that doesn't matter because it's all about the points in the pool stages. However P3 has the advantage because he managed the 2-0 win in round four.

Also note that the Sudden Death as a result of a draw match does not count; players still get 2 points each regardless of the Sudden Death outcome.

Hopefully that breaks it down and makes it easier to understand.

Keep track of who won and how many stocks were lost each round, it's important. Then come back and tally your scores up using the point system. The total points you gain after fighting each opponent will be what counts as to whether you qualify for the next round or not.

Is this going to be happening any time soon? I am rusty and haven't played in forever, but I miss Brawl and I'm going to need something else to do other than Skyrim, a twenty-page paper, and apps over break. And hey, it might be fun.

Is there any benefit of one size over the other? I do not see much difference whatever size is used. 3 per group seems just as fine as 6 or 4 people per group.

Everyone will play everyone in the end.

Edited by Eryth

What's wrong with having just 2 or 3 pools?

Is there any benefit of one size over the other? I do not see much difference whatever size is used. 3 per group seems just as fine as 6 or 4 people per group.

Everyone will play everyone in the end.

I want at least 8 people to go through to the Quarter-FInals (2 from each pool). I know we have 8 players now, but I want the initial pool stages to take place. Otherwise it's just a normal tournament with 8 people. Yawn.

One alternative is this: We begin the tournament with 2 pools with 4 players in each. These players play eachother in their respective pools, and the top 2 of each pool will go through to the semi finals, skipping the quarter finals because of the lack of at least 12 players.

But I'd rather us try to get 12 players first. It'll just make this whole thing last longer. I'm sure there are people around who are able and willing to join.

Edited by V-Raven

If you guys have eleven people, and need one more person, I will join. I much prefer live tournies to non-live, though. But someone should message me if there are eleven people and I will join.

I'll remember. Thanks.