Meg: Why such hate?

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What, just because they're dudes doesn't mean they can't be swift but fragile. Some dudes are really damn skinny, yaknow, and they don't always become mages.

These same dudes feature heavily in Fire Emblem!

Also I already said why there couldn't be male PKs in FE.

Edited by Refa

It's his reasoning I'm against than the notion of no male PKs itself. From a lore's standpoint, I can understand (although I don't agree personally, based on Greek mythology), but saying men can't be fragile but speedy just because they're male is kinda ridiculous, since I know a few guys I've sparred with who're thin as a rail, probably about 80-90% of my weight while being a few inches taller (and I'm by no means fat) and breaks easily, but very dodgy and has good technique. And pegs don't necessarily have to have terribad defense, either. Farina's is pretty fine as far as her class goes, if she's trained, for example.

It's his reasoning I'm against than the notion of no male PKs itself. From a lore's standpoint, I can understand (although I don't agree personally, based on Greek mythology), but saying men can't be fragile but speedy just because they're male is kinda ridiculous, since I know a few guys I've sparred with who're thin as a rail, probably about 80-90% of my weight while being a few inches taller (and I'm by no means fat) and breaks easily, but very dodgy and has good technique. And pegs don't necessarily have to have terribad defense, either. Farina's is pretty fine as far as her class goes, if she's trained, for example.

Oh, the 2nd point was in general rather than specified at you. I'm totally on board with you about how males can be just as wimpy as females (are depicted, not actually), and many of these males feature prominantly in Japanese games!

Also I wouldn't be like super pissed if IS introduced some male pegasus knight or something, I'm just going off of all of the games so far.

Also, Farina is like, the best pegasus knight from all of the GBA games (not gameplay wise).

Fair enough. I do love using Farina, anyway, and she is my favourite in personality. Florina irritates me enough that no matter how good she is, I ain't using her after I get another flier, so~

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Fair enough. I do love using Farina, anyway, and she is my favourite in personality. Florina irritates me enough that no matter how good she is, I ain't using her after I get another flier, so~

TBH, I feel the same way about Soren.

That's ambiguous. Do you mean the first part "love using Farina" or the second part "ain't using her after I get another flier"?

I mean in the sense that Soren's booted once I get another mage and you get more units than you can field.

I mean in the sense that Soren's booted once I get another mage and you get more units than you can field.

So the second part. K. I dislike Soren, too, but for some reason I kept using him in fe9. No idea why. Probably had something to do with the way I played back then. Now I don't think I'd keep him.

The sad thing is my girlfriend would like someone like Soren, while the only pittance I feel was how he was treated.

That being said, can we rename the topic to "Meg: Why NOT such hate?" I think we all should hate Meg more.

This is just my own personal opinion about trying to use Meg, so I'm sure others have different views, obviously from what I've read. We all do when it comes to judging units. Anyway...

It's not that I hate Meg...it's just that I really have no effort to train her seriously. 65% speed is insane for an armored unit. I like speedy units. But she just doesn't seem balanced out enough for her class...that and her bases don't look too hot, considering how RD tends to have very strong and fast enemies, especially Hard Mode. I'm rather serious about conserving my Bonus EXP and due to low movement armours have, she won't be seeing General promotion anytime soon in Part 1. She joins in a rather bad chapter for her to try and gain a few levels (Tiger and Cat Laguz that can tear her apart...). Despite being in Part 1, she'll still either slow you down (Which I'm a VERY patient player...but even I know when something is taking up too much time) or make other potential characters weak while trying to baby her...especially when they return in Part 3. Even then, you'll still struggle.

But if she was trained throughout the entire duration of her available chapters in part 1 and promoted to 2nd tier, she would still only get so far without Bonus EXP...that and for an armored knight, her defense is mediocre at best...but the Laguz of Part 3 will still rip her to shreds...perhaps her high speed will save her from getting one rounded...and even dodge a few hits, but Laguz are accurate as hell regardless. Even Swordmaster Edward and Zihark have difficulty dodging them...and they are the speedy guys! XD

So yeah...my main problem with trying to use Meg is that she takes up too much time and generally isn't really worth it near the end. I've had my share of babying units a lot in the past. I still do a little bit. But after observing how others play and taking into consideration of my own play style, Meg just doesn't fit in anywhere for me. I don't really have anything against her as a character either. I look pass that when judging a unit personally.

That's my two cents on Meg.

• 4 weeks later...

To me, it's all in the situation IS put her in. By the time she comes in, you're already up against Laguz units, and everyone else is much better suited than Meg is for combat. Sure, you could give her BEXP, but that only raises 3 stats, and it's better to save it up for later anyways. The next map, you're in a desert, a knight's worst nightmare due to mobility restraints. There are also plenty of mages and lance users too on the map, so fragile Meg will crumble unless you send support. Besides, Voulg and the Dawn Brigade pretty much destroy everyone else without Meg's assistance. Then the next map, you get friggin Tauroneo the General AKA Better Meg, and you HAVE to use him. After that, you'll have much better units than Meg (and Fiona, but this thread's about Meg, not Fiona). Most of the Dawn Brigade will be ready to promote/are promoted depending how much you use them (you kind of need them to be ready for when they're going to get raped by the Mercs) whereas Meg, who came in at a low level with conditions that didn't help her at all, isn't.