Small change to Code of Conduct

Tangerine

Hey! I'm late to the party, but I thought I would lend you some of my knowledge regarding deviantART. >w<

First of all, just to be clear, linking back to an artist's deviation page isn't hotlinking. (Ex: http...popo-licious.deviantart.com/gallery/8101868#...) However, if you provide a link starting with http...fc00.deviantart.net/..., or use such a link to host images, then yes, you're hotlinking. Most of the time, the person doing the hotlinking won't get in trouble. The downside is that when deviantART chooses the take action, they act against the artist. This is usually only an issue when the offending link is getting significantly high traffic volume, but I would advise against it. Using the http...fc00 links also take away from supporting the artist, as the views from those links don't count towards the artist's overall image viewcount, which affects their exposure. In short, if you've enjoyed an artist's work on deviantART and want to share it, do them a favor and link to their formal deviation page, and don't hotlink. :3

Edited by Popo

Then does this mean that posting a link to a thread on SF is also forbidden?

I can't see why it would be. :0

Edit: I guess to clarify, I don't think you can actually hotlink a forum thread the same way you can link an image. It doesn't create the same bandwidth concerns from what I understand, so it's not really harming anything. Just posting a link isn't bad. Hotlinking means that you're using and abusing someone else's hosting.

Edited by Popo

Then does this mean that posting a link to a thread on SF is also forbidden?

Refer to my post again. In what way is linking to a thread on SF taking the bandwidth of an image/video/whatever without giving the host site a hit for each view of that? It wouldn't be.

Btw, DA is special in that it's a website primarily for uploading and sharing images (and sometimes other things) among its userbase, not for hosting images so that you can post them elsewhere. This is a thing that, as far as I'm aware, only DA really does.

If you link the image given by the download link on dA it still gives the artist a hit (just a download hit, not a pageview). I used to do that with my stuff (stopped because having a zillion download hits and like four pageviews looks ridiculous). Don't actually know if that's relevant so JUST SAYIN' i guess

at any rate I have de-lazy-buttified my art, the internet gods had damn well better be happy.

If you link the image given by the download link on dA it still gives the artist a hit (just a download hit, not a pageview). I used to do that with my stuff (stopped because having a zillion download hits and like four pageviews looks ridiculous). Don't actually know if that's relevant so JUST SAYIN' i guess

at any rate I have de-lazy-buttified my art, the internet gods had damn well better be happy.

That's true, but I thought it was worth mentioning that it doesn't appear to contribute towards exposure the way normal views do, at least in my experience. >o<

Edited by Popo

So hotlinking from the main site ISN'T allowed?

Do you mean hotlinking from the main site to the forum? I'm honestly not sure, but it would definitely be prohibited if you were using the site's hosting to post images onto, say, a rival forum, or your blog, etc.

I mean main site to the forums, I really need to know.

I'll let Vincent or Tang answer with an official response, but I can't personally see any reason that you would need to hotlink from the main site. I don't know why you would need to include an image hosted on the main site in a post; even if you did, the easy answer would just be to link the thing instead. If it's for an avatar, save it to your desktop and upload it that way. Signatures would be slightly more complex, as you'd need to actually not be lazy and host it yourself.

I'll let Vincent or Tang answer with an official response, but I can't personally see any reason that you would need to hotlink from the main site. I don't know why you would need to include an image hosted on the main site in a post; even if you did, the easy answer would just be to link the thing instead. If it's for an avatar, save it to your desktop and upload it that way. Signatures would be slightly more complex, as you'd need to actually not be lazy and host it yourself.

Pretty much this.

I can't tell why you'd ever need to hotlink an image from Serenes, apart from our character art we do not exactly have a large display of images. But it's the exact same as hotlinking from anywhere else, it doesn't matter that you're on SFForums, you may as well consider Serenes Forest and the forums separate entities.

In the end it's not that big of a deal to just download the image from that website and upload it to a free image hosting site yourself (or just link directly to it). You're actually helping the people involved with whatever website you're using by doing that, as opposed to hurting them.

Edited by Tangerine

• 2 weeks later...

The wording for this rule in the Code of Conduct doesn't match the stated intention for it, and ought to be changed, if for no other reason than to avoid confusing the people who actually know what hotlinking is. The rule says this:

"No hotlinking under any circumstances."

This thread immediately abrogates that rule by providing circumstances under which hotlinking is acceptable. This might blow your mind, but embedding an imageshack url in a post as an image, is still hotlinking, because whether they allow it or not is irrelevant to the meaning of the term. Rule is better stated thusly:

"No unauthorized hotlinking under any circumstances."

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good lord, finally got word back from DA. Guinea B and I have been patiently waiting for what, over a month now?

Hello, I will be assisting you with your support ticket, our apologies for the long delay.

We at deviantART do not attempt to moderate hotlinking off the site. Different artists and members prefer their work to be displayed, credited or linked to in different ways, you should contact the individual artist to see if they have a preference.

January 13, 2012 06:22 pm

Basically it's what I expected. I don't expect there will be any issues with it. There shouldn't be any problems if you're properly crediting the artist.